Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Koorisch posted:

So I guess since I already have the Knight's starting shield for blocking I should try to lower my weight to sub 40% to get the best stamina recovery speed and rolling i-frames, right?

Unless you are really particular about dodging I feel like >70% is fine. You get a boost at under 30% I think but it felt negligible to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

enojy posted:

Endgame spoiler, do not click unless you've beaten the game.

Is this supposed to happen?

https://youtu.be/41ZVQiE_OGs

Same thing happened to me, that stance was brutal. What armor are you wearing?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I was liking the zweihander because it's powerful as all gently caress despite my having pitiful stamina but man this Dark Sword I found I'm really feeling it, it hits like 3/4 as hard as the zweihander but uses much less stamina

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Alabaster White posted:

The real hard part is maxing out several covenants. I'm thinking it might just be easier to farm enemies for their rare covenant drops rather than actually do them the proper way.

Haha no. Farming for the Blue Sentinel items is insanely tedious. With 99 luck, gold serpent ring, the mimic hat, a rusted gold coin, and the crystal rapier 9 (i.e. basically the maximum item find possible), people are reporting a drop rate of 1 in 30 from Silver Knights.

Wolf Covenant is easy to farm, and Mound Makers / Sunbros you can farm by doing invasions with the covenant equipped, which is a lot faster in my experience. So basically it's just Sentinels that sucks hardcore.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Haha no. Farming for the Blue Sentinel items is insanely tedious. With 99 luck, gold serpent ring, the mimic hat, a rusted gold coin, and the crystal rapier 9 (i.e. basically the maximum item find possible), people are reporting a drop rate of 1 in 30 from Silver Knights.

Wolf Covenant is easy to farm, and Mound Makers / Sunbros you can farm by doing invasions with the covenant equipped, which is a lot faster in my experience. So basically it's just Sentinels that sucks hardcore.

poo poo. Fuckin blues :argh:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Can you ever make the Farron Greatsword all flamy and burny and cool like how it looks during the AW boss fight? Kinda wish at least the Carthus Flame Arc pyromancy looked like that.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Got invaded on my way back to my bloodstain and between that dick and a Black Knight I my 40k big bloodstain.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I love this game.

I was playing a dex build using the cool spinning boss weapon from Watchdogs of Farron boss up until Boreal Dancer. Still haven't beaten it because I decided I'd try out some pyromancy. I'm pretty sure I saw it echo'd earlier in this thread that Pyromancy is banana's and it really is. I've been slinging Chaos fireballs at bosses and *destroying* them in Co-op and solo. I'm now farther than my first dude and the ease of destroying random mobs vs engaging them feels so absurd. Can't wait to finish this now.

Next up is a Miracles and melee dude. :allears:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gonna make a new character and go pure dex, what are some weapons other than katanas and straight swords that people are having a good time with?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Has anybody been having trouble with phantoms unable to get through fog gates? The last maybe 6 phantoms I've summoned have been stuck behind the Deacons of the deep fog gate.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wow, the area after the Pontiff is a complete invasion clusterfuck what the hell. Took two steps inside and got invaded by 4 people at once, 2 Blues and 2 reds, is that normal?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

argondamn posted:

I don't know if any of the healing miracles scale with faith because I don't use them, but they didn't in the previous games.

I think they do this time. At least, when people were testing Faith scaling, they DID see a difference with the Heal miracle.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Is it a good idea to use a Heavy Gem on a (Ultra) Greatsword? I've looked around and the answers range from "Yes" to "No, use it on a Dex weapon".

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

"Argh, he's throwin Kukris!"

"Argh gently caress another!"

"Argh poo poo, thats six now better drink a flask or engage the guy"

"gently caress he got me! The real dark souls starts here!!!"

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Fuzz posted:

Wow, the area after the Pontiff is a complete invasion clusterfuck what the hell. Took two steps inside and got invaded by 4 people at once, 2 Blues and 2 reds, is that normal?

That is the new oolacile bridge, enjoy

Also enjoy anor londo Archer walkway 2.0

fishception fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 18, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Shortest Path posted:

Gonna make a new character and go pure dex, what are some weapons other than katanas and straight swords that people are having a good time with?

I've been using the Sellsword Twinblades ever since I picked them up in Farron. Very good damage scaling especially if you give them a Sharp infuse and the dual wield moves are the tits.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Does anyone have an Abyss Watcher soul they don't need and want to trade a Farron Greatsword for something? I hosed up and wasted mine and that sword looks really cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tarantula posted:

Has anybody been having trouble with phantoms unable to get through fog gates? The last maybe 6 phantoms I've summoned have been stuck behind the Deacons of the deep fog gate.

Yeah, that's a common issue right now. As far as I know, quitting out and restarting the game is the only way to fix it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Aldritch is a really cool fight.

he's gwyndolin 2.0, but done right.

Had a great moment sunbroing for him, boss is almost dead and we're wailing on him, he winds up his bullshit knifestorm attack, we die but the boss dies too.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 18, 2016

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's a common issue right now. As far as I know, quitting out and restarting the game is the only way to fix it.

Well that's disappointing i'm sucking bad on the Deacons fight.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay seriously so getting ears is just hosed right now right? I've maxed put every covenant but I still need ears. And doing Knights does not sound fun.

I really hope the patch does something about it. Like allow darkmoon to protect anyone invaded by Aldrich. Doesn't matter if they're in way of blue or not.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is it a good idea to use a Heavy Gem on a (Ultra) Greatsword? I've looked around and the answers range from "Yes" to "No, use it on a Dex weapon".

It just removes dex scaling and makes it scale more for STR, I'm guessing when people say use it on a dex weapon, they're basically saying Turn that Dex weapon into an STR weapon. I used it on my Dark Sword though, bumping the STR scaling to a high A, so really it's fine on an UGS.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Finished NG at 70, leveled up twice and killed everyone at fire link before moving on. NG+ go go.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tarantula posted:

Oh, I mean quitting out and loading up the game again. It should work if you do that, give it a try. Not like actually restarting

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Fuzz posted:

that area seems to be the equivalent of what the lava bridge was in ds2 - i.e. the unofficial honorable e-duel arena.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tarantula posted:

that fight is not a bad area to bring a weapon that does a wide arc with each swing (like a great sword) so that you're smacking multiple deacons with each swing. narrow poke weapons like a spear or a rapier are not as good for that fight because they let the rest of the pack swarm around you while you're trying to stab the red ghost deacon.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

Oh, I mean quitting out and loading up the game again. It should work if you do that, give it a try. Not like actually restarting

Yea I got that, I've just alt+f4 out of the game and restart so I'm sitting outside the fog gate.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Lakbay posted:

Washing Pole :(

Just make certain to explore and loot everything you see! I decided to just make "Sword Mistress" and carry all the katanas.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Do the collection achievements cross characters or do you need to get 100% of a thing on a single character for it to count? That's how it was in DkS2 at least, but it feels really mean in a game where you can only get certain items on NG+1 and NG+2 cycles.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Is there any way to respawn a boss like with an Ascetic in DS2? I missed one of the NPC invasions :(

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

homeless poster posted:

that fight is not a bad area to bring a weapon that does a wide arc with each swing (like a great sword) so that you're smacking multiple deacons with each swing. narrow poke weapons like a spear or a rapier are not as good for that fight because they let the rest of the pack swarm around you while you're trying to stab the red ghost deacon.

Yea I've gotten the fight down to 1/3 of it's health a couple times and just get unlucky with some of the fireballs/curseballs (?), also I'm not very good at these types of games too ha (which is why I love it dark souls such a great challenge).

Orv
May 4, 2011

argondamn posted:

Do the collection achievements cross characters or do you need to get 100% of a thing on a single character for it to count? That's how it was in DkS2 at least, but it feels really mean in a game where you can only get certain items on NG+1 and NG+2 cycles.

Individual ones can be across characters but when it says "Collect All X" it means on one character. So you'll have to do NG++ for rings, for example.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Shortest Path posted:

Estoc, most of the DW weapons are dex or start out quality and are very suitable for a Sharp infusion and are supposed to be good though I haven't used any of them.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tarantula posted:

Yea I've gotten the fight down to 1/3 of it's health a couple times and just get unlucky with some of the fireballs/curseballs (?), also I'm not very good at these types of games too ha (which is why I love it dark souls such a great challenge).

if you didn't know, the second phase can also heal itself, so if you get a couple smacks in and then have to pull back and heal or whatever, it can actually recover its own health, which is super frustrating. it's also not a bad area to pick up at least one other phantom so that you can keep the pressure on the second phase

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
So Dark Souls 3 will no longer go past the loading screen for me. The items change on the loading screen but it just...keeps loading. Anyone know of some fix?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I have a constant, burning compulsion to make random gimmick alts. Made a Patches character just so I can invade people and be really obnoxious. Throwing poop and knives, tossing charms, using white branches, leading people into ambushes, etc. It's a lot of fun.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

homeless poster posted:

if you didn't know, the second phase can also heal itself, so if you get a couple smacks in and then have to pull back and heal or whatever, it can actually recover its own health, which is super frustrating. it's also not a bad area to pick up at least one other phantom so that you can keep the pressure on the second phase

I've tried a couple of times to get some phantom help but they keep getting bugged in the gate and can't come through, just validated my game files and needed to replace 8 files so maybe that will help...or I just need to follow the traditional dark souls method of GET GUD.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the Wolf Knight Greatsword worth using at the bare minimum stats?

e: The pontiff curved sword rules

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

EDIT: NM its the funky priest dudes blue sword

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Orv posted:

Individual ones can be across characters but when it says "Collect All X" it means on one character. So you'll have to do NG++ for rings, for example.

lmao

So much for getting all the achievements in this one.