Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The latest Netflix Daredevil series actually tackled this head on with The Punisher taking a personal interest in Daredevil and trying to prove he was "Just one bad day away from being me" and Daredevil outright rejecting that.

I guess it's one of the aspects of the superhero genre that outside writers can't help but fixate on to the point where they feel they need to address it.

How "outright" was the rejection when later on in the season Daredevil says "ok fine let's do it your way"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

broken clock opsec posted:

How "outright" was the rejection when later on in the season Daredevil says "ok fine let's do it your way"?

And then at the end of the season he buddies up with a girl who kills dudes all the time right in front of him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

broken clock opsec posted:

Those ninjas he was headshotting were undead already, they don't count!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He also throws a guy off a building to kill him.

I mean he doesn't actually die from the impact but the intent was clearly to murder that dude.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

This is totally divorced from the character, and since they're clearly aiming to appeal to the nostalgia of the public, good and bad, I don't think this is a good way to take the costume because it evokes nothing of it.

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Dawn Of Justice is innovative because they made Batman the most broken possible person at the very start of this film, in order to get that 'is he gonna snap?' stuff out of the way. He already snapped offscreen, before the film even began.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Flash/ReverseFlash and Aquaman/OceanMaster could be the pretty standard 'intro film includes guy with the same powers' that superhero movies love. Dunno anything about Aqua though (and Flash either really, never seen the show), what does an Aquaman movie look like? Is it all underwater? Does he talk to humans on the surface? Does he stab Lex's sub camera because he's a feral ocean dweller who doesn't understand technology?

...ok, Wiki suggests he's just a regular dude for the most part. Huh, I always assumed he was a magical merman or something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He also throws a guy off a building to kill him.

I mean he doesn't actually die from the impact but the intent was clearly to murder that dude.

I thought season 2 was pretty obviously about Matt's resolve being tested and him failing. Elektra is clearly a bad, toxic influence on him. By the end of the season, he's driven away Karen and Foggy, allied himself with Frank, and tried to murder Nobu in cold blood. He's fallen from grace. Season 3 will probably be about him redeeming himself somehow.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Superman's rebirth is somehow connected to Darkseid, and includes Darkseid attempting to corrupt him in some sort of astral plane. Lois will be important to this subplot.

Darkseid will have some sort of ability to force the League members to handle their own dark sides and go through psychological trials. It appears to be capacity for good remains a theme of the movie, with the League members all being shown to be dysfunctional, angry people that could have tipped over to the dark side easily if circumstances were a little different.

Go full Dune and have Superman commune with the genetic memories of his people. While communing with the Kryptonian projenitors of the Codex it becomes clear that several of them followed Darkseid and are trying to get Kal-El to follow him to. Darkseid corrupted many of the ancient Kryptonian astronauts, and that's why their civilization withdrew to their home planet and turned inward.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Phylodox posted:

I thought season 2 was pretty obviously about Matt's resolve being tested and him failing. Elektra is clearly a bad, toxic influence on him. By the end of the season, he's driven away Karen and Foggy, allied himself with Frank, and tried to murder Nobu in cold blood. He's fallen from grace. Season 3 will probably be about him redeeming himself somehow.

Also had an ill-advised pissing match that put him back on Kingpin's map. It's really a pretty good arc.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doggles posted:

Problem- that has way more to do with Logan than this Rita does with Rita.

He's got the hair and facial hair and he's got the claws. And his unique color on his dumb jumpsuit is yellow.

And Logan has a history of going without costumes in the comics.

So, yeah, not an accurate comparison.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Doggles posted:

I really hope whatever movie comes after Apocalypse is set in the 90s and has these outfits.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electromax posted:

Flash/ReverseFlash and Aquaman/OceanMaster could be the pretty standard 'intro film includes guy with the same powers' that superhero movies love. Dunno anything about Aqua though (and Flash either really, never seen the show), what does an Aquaman movie look like? Is it all underwater? Does he talk to humans on the surface? Does he stab Lex's sub camera because he's a feral ocean dweller who doesn't understand technology?

...ok, Wiki suggests he's just a regular dude for the most part. Huh, I always assumed he was a magical merman or something.

Aquaman sounds basically like Wonder Woman but with underwater cities instead of hidden islands. The difference is I don't think they'll really dwell on Atlantis being isolated and more about the aftermath of coming together in Justice League (maybe have Black Manta as a dude trying to steal artifacts or whatever).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gyges posted:

Go full Dune and have Superman commune with the genetic memories of his people. While communing with the Kryptonian projenitors of the Codex it becomes clear that several of them followed Darkseid and are trying to get Kal-El to follow him to. Darkseid corrupted many of the ancient Kryptonian astronauts, and that's why their civilization withdrew to their home planet and turned inward.

The core of Darkseid being evil stemming from him being all about total personal isolation while he still hypocritically rolls around conquering places because ???? would actually make a really good foil to these past two movie's takes on Superman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Neo Rasa posted:

The core of Darkseid being evil stemming from him being all about total personal isolation while he still hypocritically rolls around conquering places because ???? would actually make a really good foil to these past two movie's takes on Superman.

I actually meant that Krypton cut off the colonies and space was abandoned due to Darkseid tainting the colonies. Because if you've got Kryptonians loving around in the yellow sunlight and you're looking to rule everything, it's probably smart to go ahead and try and coopt them or isolate them away from you.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

computer parts posted:

And then at the end of the season he buddies up with a girl who kills dudes all the time right in front of him.

Maybe he goes by the rationale "If I didn't see it, it didn't happen."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Either way you could say Darkseid's presence brings out the "best" in people. :haw: That reminds me of (I have no memory of what issue/story I read this in but mid 90s or so) how 100% of the employees and guards in the mega-ruthless prison system in Darkseid's empire are people who escaped from his prisons and were then offered a job, thrilled to pass along everything they went through.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Electromax posted:

Watch the Throne of Atlantis animated movie to get a good idea what the character is like. There's a lot of monarch drama and ocean fantasy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dawn Of Justice is innovative because they made Batman the most broken possible person at the very start of this film, in order to get that 'is he gonna snap?' stuff out of the way. He already snapped offscreen, before the film even began.

Well not before the film, he snapped on screen while hugging that little girl and giving Superman the death eyes. It's cool because you see the birth of the Batman (when his parents die and he falls into the cave) followed immediately by his second birth as crazy rear end in a top hat Batman.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm excited for the Power Rangers stinger to be a pan over the Dragon Daggerflute

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Do kids today even know about Power Rangers?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Corek posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been on TV ever since the 90's, so yeah.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeah I'm pretty sure there's a new series every two years as well.

Nerf needs to push their new catalogue SOMEhow :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I don't know if it was mentioned yet or if it got lost in Whitewashing talk, but James Gunn confirmed that neither John C. Reilly (Corpsman Day) or Benicio Del Toro (The Collector) will be returning for GOTG Vol. 2

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Corek posted:

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been on TV ever since the 90's, so yeah.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Scyantific posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned yet or if it got lost in Whitewashing talk, but James Gunn confirmed that neither John C. Reilly (Corpsman Day) or Benicio Del Toro (The Collector) will be returning for GOTG Vol. 2

That's a shame, they were basically just cameos but two of my favorites from GOTG. It was especially odd to see John C. Reilly do a grounded role for the first time in a decade or so.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Peter Serafinowicz and Ralph Ineson.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Scyantific posted:

So Glenn Close is coming back, but not Reilly?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He already snapped offscreen, before the film even began
It've been more interesting if we saw him as a not mass murderer first and see what made him snap. Instead, we're wondering if this Batman has always been like this. This unrepentant killer and sadist.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yaws posted:

It've been more interesting if we saw him as a not mass murderer first and see what made him snap. Instead, we're wondering if this Batman has always been like this. This unrepentant killer and sadist.

We are literally shown the exact moment that he "snaps" in the most unsubtle visual language possible.

Do not blame the film for your illiteracy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's also been less than five years since the previous Batman trilogy ended. People are well aware what Batman is usually like.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

We are literally shown the exact moment that he "snaps" in the most unsubtle visual language possible.

Do not blame the film for your illiteracy.

So are we shown that he snaps or not? The post I was responding to states that it happened off screen.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Can someone tell me what Batman's snapchat is I keep reading about it here

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yaws posted:

Instead, we're wondering if this Batman has always been like this. This unrepentant killer and sadist.

Alfred tells the audience he's changed and become cruel.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao its the american coronation street

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

Problem- that has way more to do with Logan than this Rita does with Rita.

He's got the hair and facial hair and he's got the claws. And his unique color on his dumb jumpsuit is yellow.

This is how he looked in the comic a few years before the first X-Men movie came out:

.... but they chose to not go with the tusked noseless look in the film. #NotMyLogan

Here's an infographic on all of Wolverine's iconic costumes.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Yaws posted:

So are we shown that he snaps or not? The post I was responding to states that it happened off screen.

I believe that post is talking about "offscreen" as it relates to the film Justice League. Dawn of Justice gets the "what does Batman look like on his darkest, worst possible day" scenario out of the way so that when Darkseid comes a-calling, Batman can credibly resist him. That'd be in line with the comics, too; it's been a pretty common recurring theme among the Grant Morrison DC stuff even as far back as his JLA run that Batman's got the wiles and the mental fortitude to outmaneuver Darkseid and his servants over the long game -- and sometimes it's a very long game.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

We definitely saw Superman snapping on screen in Man Of Steel.

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao its the american coronation street

And now that the kids who watched the first series are adults, they are re-releasing the toys.

The site disallow hotlinking, so I think this is the one you meant to post:

By extrapolating this chart, I predict we will get a completely nude Wolverine next year. Now you know why an R rating is necessary.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Bruce Wayne and Batman are different.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I just found out Kingsman is actually a comic book movie.

Truly one of the finest comic book movies yet created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Corek posted:

It would take roughly one line of toys included in every Happy Meal(r) to let them know and make them care.

The MSJ posted:

By extrapolating this chart, I predict we will get a completely nude Wolverine next year. Now you know why an R rating is necessary.

I'm pretty sure we saw Jackman's butt in Days of Future Past. I might need to check.

• Locked thread