Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q6utsksoFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is there any in-setting explanation for why computers/displays/tech in general looks so much more advanced in the PT than it does in the OT? Like, some throwaway line in Rebels or something that says "yeah, ever since the empire came in, it's been really difficult to source spare parts for the fancy old stuff" or whatever?

The mention of the holographic UI on board the Finalizer reminded me, I thought they did well at balancing the shabby industrial aesthetic of the OT with the sorts of high-tech eye candy you'd expect from a sci-fi film made this decade:

Does a good job of convincing the viewer that it's actually been three decades since Jedi. Like, check it out, it looks like Good Star Wars but it's set a while later, so, obviously, people have access to kit that's a bit nicer these days. Also, maybe a stretch, but it being way less of a gap in apparent level of technological sophistication than that between the OT and the prequels emphasises just how badly the fall of the old republic hosed things up for everyone.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I still don't understand why Captain Phasma was used for nothing, and "killed" offscreen, even!

I mean, she's the most centered character on the poster!

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Why wasn't there a concealed panic button? When Phasma turned and said "You will not get away with this", I was 100% sure she sabotaged their plan.

Hubris, man.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone pointed out how similar Von sydow's village is to the Tusken Camp in Episode 2?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

sinking belle posted:

Is there any in-setting explanation for why computers/displays/tech in general looks so much more advanced in the PT than it does in the OT? Like, some throwaway line in Rebels or something that says "yeah, ever since the empire came in, it's been really difficult to source spare parts for the fancy old stuff" or whatever?

The mention of the holographic UI on board the Finalizer reminded me, I thought they did well at balancing the shabby industrial aesthetic of the OT with the sorts of high-tech eye candy you'd expect from a sci-fi film made this decade:

Does a good job of convincing the viewer that it's actually been three decades since Jedi. Like, check it out, it looks like Good Star Wars but it's set a while later, so, obviously, people have access to kit that's a bit nicer these days. Also, maybe a stretch, but it being way less of a gap in apparent level of technological sophistication than that between the OT and the prequels emphasises just how badly the fall of the old republic hosed things up for everyone.

We know they're evil because they're in the dark

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

FN exemplifies a major issue that I've noted:

Force Awakens does not function as a science fiction/fantasy film.

The basic premise behind the FN character is that he is inherently-good, but put under a 'magic spell' - depicted onscreen as this blue holographic-interface computer system thing. That's why, when the 'spell' is broken, he immediately transforms into a 'good person' whose only flaw is self-doubt.

(FN considers himself to be a coward 'deep inside', even though he does absolutely nothing cowardly in the film until forced to by Maz.)

But, in all the pages written about TFA, not even a single person has approached it as science fiction. And has anyone ever referred to Kylo or Snoke as 'wizards' or 'sorcerers'? Of course not.

FN may be fuckable, but people actively ignore Force Awakens' thesis that people are automatically good unless 'corrupted' in some way. And in this exact sense, TFA defines 'balancing the Force' as eliminating bad people to restore a state of Nature.

As a contrast, you have They Live - and the thesis there is extremely different. They Live says breaking free of ideology takes incredible effort. The glasses that let you see the ideological messages hurt.

"According to our common sense we think that ideology is something blurring, confusing our straight view. Ideology should be glasses which distort our view, and the critique of ideology should be the opposite - like, you take off the glasses so that you can finally see the way things really are. This precisely, and here the pessimism of the film, of They Live is well justified, this precisely is the ultimate illusion: ideology is not simply imposed on ourselves. Ideology is our spontaneous relationship to our social world - how we perceive each meaning and so on and so on. We in a way enjoy our ideology. To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it."
-Zizek, my italics.

What we see in TFA is merely FN's shift from one ideology to another, in a rather cynical way.

Why do you keep using his slave name?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

jivjov posted:

Of the village being force-worshippers? Novelization and visual dictionary.

"Don't tell me it's in a loving book!!!!" - Plinkett review man

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

I'm apathetic on the prequels, but I will absolutely watch them if I run across them on TV, which is almost never.

Because hey, it's Star Wars.

TNT runs them in December usually, right?

There are so many commercials though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mortanis posted:

God drat it SMG how many times do people have to tell you that you don't get to offer subjective feelings about what a movie is or isn't saying/addressing as objective fact?

Uh ... You are replying to the wrong poster. Cnut is nothing like SMG.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Mortanis posted:

God drat it SMG how many times do people have to tell you that you don't get to offer subjective feelings about what a movie is or isn't saying/addressing as objective fact?

As an aside, this has always been and remains the dumbest kind of nitpick.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

Uh ... You are replying to the wrong poster. Cnut is nothing like SMG.

We are all Kosh SMG.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PBS Newshour posted:

WHAT TOYS ARE YOU GIVING TO YOUR CHILDREN :stonk:

Hopefully not Star Wars ones, we don't need child services here again.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

THE BAR posted:

I still don't understand why Captain Phasma was used for nothing, and "killed" offscreen, even!

I mean, she's the most centered character on the poster!

She suffered from Boba Fett Syndrome; she was always a bit character, but the marketing team correctly predicted that people would love her costume.

Odds are that she'll have a more prominent role in the next episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sinking belle posted:

Is there any in-setting explanation for why computers/displays/tech in general looks so much more advanced in the PT than it does in the OT?

Most of what we see in the OT is either really old freighters, scrounged military tech, or incredibly brutalist designs from the Empire. Like again, to go back to the Vietnam analogy - imagine the OT was set entirely in Vietnam, and the only thing we got to see was SE Asians in tiny villages and the occasional US troop supply. Now imagine the OT was in 1950s America, and not the crappy parts either but like New York and Chicago and stuff like that.

Also if you actually look at the technology, there is a sense of progression. The Starfighters in AOTC can't go into Hyperspace without an attached peripheral, while the X-Wings can do so all on their own, for example.

But to answer your question - it seems more advanced in the PT because it's shinier.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Neurolimal posted:

What makes Jar Jar's role in the army more selfless than any other Gunga soldier?

He had been banished by his people. He had no reason to go back to them and stand among them to fight. And yet he did.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

Also if you actually look at the technology, there is a sense of progression. The Starfighters in AOTC can't go into Hyperspace without an attached peripheral, while the X-Wings can do so all on their own, for example.

But to answer your question - it seems more advanced in the PT because it's shinier.

Something that bugged me is that the naboo star fighter, which looks and feels to me like a short range fighter, has hyperspace capability as they fly in with the queens ship in aotc. Jedis got robbed man they ships worse than a naboo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerkface posted:

Something that bugged me is that the naboo star fighter, which looks and feels to me like a short range fighter, has hyperspace capability as they fly in with the queens ship in aotc. Jedis got robbed man they ships worse than a naboo

Space Kingdom vs Space Monks? Yeah, Space Kingdom should have the better ships. Space Hare Krishnas should be tooling around in their version of a Gremlin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neurolimal posted:

She suffered from Boba Fett Syndrome; she was always a bit character, but the marketing team correctly predicted that people would love her costume.

Odds are that she'll have a more prominent role in the next episode.

IIRC they said outright she'll do more.

I think part of the problem too is that her scene with Finn/shutting down the shields was a last second re-shoot. So she ended up getting just enough screen time that her not being more prominent was noticeable.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

computer parts posted:

The prequel trilogy has a bit of an Art Deco feel to it where a lot of things place style as high as or higher than substance.

Some trains looked like this in the '30s

Serf
May 5, 2011

One thing that has always impressed me about the SW films is the stylistic contrast between the OT and the PT. The "used future" look of the OT is underscored and enhanced by the PT, where everything is shiny and new looking. It serves to show just how bad things are under the Empire, and how far downhill life has gone. It's a subtle and often overlooked aspect of the movies that I really enjoy.

In TFA they have that alien arch design from McQuarrie that gets destroyed by the Millennium Falcon on Jakku, which is a scene that I love. An iconic OT prop destroys something that looks like it belongs in the older era of the PT, which to me signals that there is no going back. The Republic is dead (which is mirrored later on when the Death Star blows up the New Republic) and all they can do is move forward. Flying through the ruined husks of old Star Destroyers is a nice way of showing how the OT is also behind us.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Consider, for example, Beowulf. What does TFA express about fantastical creatures that Beowulf does not.

Beowulf tells us not to gently caress Angelina Jolie because she's a demon and that competent, immersive 3D was possible back in 2007 so why haven't you been able to get it right since then you penny-pinching Hollywood fat cats??? (Avatar not withstanding, but even Avatar wasn't as good as Beowulf.)

The number of grown adults trying to grab the destroyer in TFA screenings was pretty adorable though.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Serf posted:

In TFA they have that alien arch design from McQuarrie that gets destroyed by the Millennium Falcon on Jakku, which is a scene that I love. An iconic OT prop destroys something that looks like it belongs in the older era of the PT, which to me signals that there is no going back. The Republic is dead (which is mirrored later on when the Death Star blows up the New Republic) and all they can do is move forward. Flying through the ruined husks of old Star Destroyers is a nice way of showing how the OT is also behind us.

jurassic world did this when the kids burned that "when dinosaurs roamed the earth" banner to make a torch

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
One thing I like is that the monstrous planet sized reincarnation of darth vader dies to save Vader's grandson, Ben, and in doing so is reborn as a hayden christensen-esque new sun.

Poetry etc (although I wonder if this will now be in reverse order, with the 'saved' kylo becoming darker and darker rather than being saved from the darkness ala Luke, gimme the goods Rian)

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 20, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Ren/Snoke have a strange convo where they refer to being seduced by the light/"Jedi side" of the Force and Ren affirms that he will not be tempted, but Snoke is not completely convinced. In the past, it was always the struggle not to lust for power or become too attached, not to be taken over by hate/anger/fear so as to not become a dirty Sith, but this convo presents those ideals as something that can be just as tempting, and from a certain point of view undesirable. I think this goes along with Ren not calling himself Darth Coolanimes, they are trying to depart the NT from strictly Jedi or Sith options. However, this is also the direction of both tv shows so I think my opinion may be influenced by that.

e: I still have a really hard time imagining they would make Ren anything approaching a good guy or have him redeemed after he killed Han Solo though. He's just going to go his own way or whatever, probably end up with no one on his side.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 20, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Just one reason it's a rad fuckin film

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

One thing everyone can agree on: TFA needed 400% more dad jokes

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Kylo Ren did nothing wrong.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

turtlecrunch posted:

e: I still have a really hard time imagining they would make Ren anything approaching a good guy or have him redeemed after he killed Han Solo though. He's just going to go his own way or whatever, probably end up with no one on his side.
I can totally buy that's his arc.

What will be hard to accept will be the ham-handed way everyone will accept him for killing Han among other atrocities. I'd love for there to be a deep exploration of what it means to be a "reformed" monster but have to live with the consequences of the past but I don't believe that will happen. The final minutes of episode IX will be Leia will hating him for two minutes then forgiving him. Luke also forgive him and then recruit him to help restore the Jedi order (that Ben helped destroy to begin with).

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Neurolimal posted:

One thing everyone can agree on: TFA needed 400% more dad jokes

Harrison Fords delivery of 'move, ball' is the only highlight in a turd movie

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ammanas posted:

Harrison Fords delivery of basically every line is the only highlight

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ammanas posted:

Harrison Fords delivery of 'move, ball' is the only highlight in a turd movie

I'm partial to "This is not how I thought this day would go" and "...did you just call me 'Solo'?"

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 20, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't think Kylo is so much going to be redeemed as much as we, and the protagonists are going to eventually learn that he has a good reason to have done most everything he's done. He killed Han Solo because within the framework of the franchise, Han Solo needs to die. In the same way, I think there's going to be an in-story reason that the Empire needs to be restored.

Kylo is Ozymandias from Watchmen, Finn is Nite Owl, Rey is Rorschach, Luke is Dr. Manhattan.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 20, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Toilet Mouth posted:

I don't think Kylo is so much going to be redeemed as much as we, and the protagonists are going to eventually learn that he has a good reason to have done most everything he's done. He killed Han Solo because within the framework of the franchise, Han Solo needs to die. In the same way, I think there's going to be an in-story reason that the Empire needs to be restored.

Kylo is Ozymandias from Watchmen, Finn is Nite Owl, Rey is Rorschach, Luke is Dr. Manhattan.

I have to admit, that would certainly be a bold direction to take the series in. But it's weird to me that after so many years of people clamoring for a new set of movies that would be "respectful" of the OT (unlike the hated PT was), everyone now seems to be on board for a trilogy which nukes all the OT heroes' accomplishments while rewriting the narrative so that they were never even positive accomplishments in the first place: Han and Leia are actually a disaster as a couple, Luke isn't actually the new hope the galaxy needed, replacing the Empire with a New Republic was actually a fool's errand all along, etc.

And yet people went ballistic over the PT revealing that Obi-Wan wasn't a perfect teacher and he and Anakin had a rocky relationship despite being friends.....things which were actually already baked into the narrative of the OT itself. The point of the OT was that Luke was a new hope who could succeed where his elders had once failed. That was the story, and the PT was perfectly faithful to it. I can't say the same for the ST so far.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

everyone now seems to be on board

There are plenty of people in here bashing Ep. VII

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

The prequel trilogy has a bit of an Art Deco feel to it where a lot of things place style as high as or higher than substance.

Some trains looked like this in the '30s

Art Deco. Very nice.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
nvm

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

harrison ford was by far the worst part and i'm glad he died what so he won't drag episode viii down too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Toilet Mouth posted:

My read on it is along these lines, that with his talk of being seduced by the light side, his mission is to grow in the dark side, but not for its own sake. I think he's genuinely regretful at having to kill Han, that wasn't an act. It's not so much that within the narrative Han as himself needs to die, but that Kylo has to kill his own father, whom he respects and loves more than anyone or anything else, as a sort of initiation ritual.

Granted I've still only seen it once and I dont remember all the dialogue, but I don't recall thinking he's playing a long con against Snoke or anything like that, but that Snoke's motive is somehow, if not "good," then at least pragmatic, as I recall the old EU rationale for Palpatine's takong over the Republic through war was not simply a quest for power, but to build up the galactic military to fight off the extragalactic invasion of the later books, which he foresaw. I don't think that works for Palpatine, but from what we've seen of Snoke he doesn't seem to be cackling as he revels in evil for its own sake.

• Locked thread