Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

And also, in all honesty? A lot of these old sculpts are absolute garbage. They're primitive sculptures made with two-part spin molds and they're severely dated.
What do you (or anyone who has handled them in person) think about using them for like, worn statues for adding personality to terrain given they're kind of crude? I was thinking about buying a small number to go with the lava base terrain the THMiniatures KS is offering, then maybe doing some physical wearing effects on them and painting them up as such.

I tried it with cheap mantic elves but they just ended up looking too soft and didn't pit well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

EverettLO posted:

This game looks neat. I'd be a sucker for a pirate-themed SAGA or something similar, but this reads like someone trying to tick all the boxes for 'unlikely to fulfill'.

A new company that doesn't appear to have ever made a game before?
A bunch of unnecessary add-on rewards like metal coins?
Special dice?
A bunch of stretch goals that add value and will trim any profit margins they might have had?
25+ metal miniatures and a rule book with cards for $50?

I'd love for this thing to happen but drat. They promised a hell of a lot here.

I didn't mention this earlier but I believe that this is at least in part done by some people from LAF, who are renowned for putting heinous amounts of time into extremely detailed and niche projects.

Spiderdrake posted:

What do you (or anyone who has handled them in person) think about using them for like, worn statues for adding personality to terrain given they're kind of crude? I was thinking about buying a small number to go with the lava base terrain the THMiniatures KS is offering, then maybe doing some physical wearing effects on them and painting them up as such.

I tried it with cheap mantic elves but they just ended up looking too soft and didn't pit well.

The Chaos Wars stuff is actually pretty decent as far as sculpts go, I have both new and old ones and the the difference is night and day. The detail from using the old lead based alloy just made them too soft and the wore down almost immediately, sometimes in shipping, but the new casts are pretty decent and hold detail well. Stylistically they are a bit old fashioned, the elves for instance are very much in the Rankin Bass LotR/Elfquest/Elric Comics vein with the sort of cartoonish noses and very pronounced almost WoW style elf ears. I really dig that look personally but it's not every ones cup of tea. Honestly I'd say right now the weak part of their range is the historicals section. Those molds are absolutely thrashed and those miniatures look like piss, even when cast in modern metal. They have some good minis in there, the Ninja are still some of my favorite ninja minis ever. Honestly I'd paint more of them but 25mm isn't really a scale I use these days and so I don't have a lot of use for something in between 20 and 28.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Basically this. I lived in the US for a few years, and when I came home to London, I had to accept the Mexican we get is never going to be anywhere near as good as back there.

FYI, this is what a chimichanga should look like:

(Also, apologies to the thread for the Mexican/UK food derail)

I'm not sure what that goo is, but chimichangas are not supposed to be covered in it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not sure what that goo is, but chimichangas are not supposed to be covered in it.

That's queso and ranchero, and yes they are.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I've had my fair share of them from authentic Mexican restaurants on the south side of Chicago, and they have never been covered in anything except maybe mole.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The_Doctor posted:

No queso blanco? I am disappointed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The only reason I've ever even heard of a chimichanga is the Deadpool movie, otherwise they remain completely foreign to these parts

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fenarisk posted:

I've had my fair share of them from authentic Mexican restaurants on the south side of Chicago, and they have never been covered in anything except maybe mole.

This is a Mexican place in Louisiana, so blame them.

Maybe I should kickstart a Mexican place in London how I want it. £20,000 to import Velveeta cheese.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The_Doctor posted:

This is a Mexican place in Louisiana, so blame them.

Maybe I should kickstart a Mexican place in London how I want it. £20,000 to import Velveeta cheese.

Goons can chip in for the range hood

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I'd kill for a proper Mexican place in London, bit I would also pay you to not import that foul abomination of nature.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fenarisk posted:

Those were not authentic at all if there isn't sauce covering practically every available surface.

The_Doctor posted:

Queso should not look like melted American cheese, but maybe that's just a bad picture.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'd kill for a proper Mexican place in London, bit I would also pay you to not import that foul abomination of nature.

95% of tex-mex Mexican (which is basically what we're talking about here) involves queso made from Velveeta.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Terrible Opinions posted:

Those were not authentic at all if there isn't sauce covering practically every available surface.

Queso should not look like melted American cheese, but maybe that's just a bad picture.
Agreed on all counts.

This is what queso should look like.

Fenarisk posted:

For the record, though, mole is amazing.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 22, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

95% of tex-mex Mexican (which is basically what we're talking about here) involves queso made from Velveeta.
:magical:
What horrible places in Texas and/or the American Southwest are you going. Even up in the Mississippi valley parts of the Midwest we don't have that sort of Velveeta queso.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I've not experienced the horrors of velveeta queso outside of fast food in Texas or Arkansas.

To avoid this being a complete derail, any thoughts on the super-hard aspect of the Dark Souls board game killing it? I like Shadowrun Crossfire, but it's hard to get a group that will actually play it and not be miserable.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 22, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If you want to play a super hard game, just play Ghost Stories. I imagine the win percentage on that game is in the low single digits.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

To avoid this being a complete derail, any thoughts on the super-hard aspect of the Dark Souls board game killing it?

I think it'll help the marketing, but hurt the game. Not because hard games are always bad, but because good hard games are hard to make (a good example is Ghost Stories, mentioned above), and bad games are super easy to make hard: "You have to roll 20 to hit. Oh look, the win rate is 1%. We made a hard game, hooray!"

For many people, the enjoyment of a hard game (like the video game Dark Souls) is in getting better at it - it's building a satisfying story: "I couldn't even get a single hit on this boss, now I beat him without taking damage". But if a main source of your difficulty is randomness (as it seems to be here) you won't be able to clearly see the results of your improving skills this way. You could make correct decisions and lose anyway. Or you might win, but feel like you just got good rolls. You're leaving in all the frustration of a hard game, while hamstringing the corresponding satisfaction that comes from improvement.

I don't think it's a recipe for a great game (but, who knows, maybe it'll work out in practice).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 22, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I love the difficulty of stuff like Elder Sign or Castle Ravenloft, but it's really hard to get them onto the table with friends who like, well, winning.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

jmzero posted:

I think it'll help the marketing, but hurt the game. Not because hard games are always bad, but because good hard games are hard to make (a good example is Ghost Stories, mentioned above), and bad games are super easy to make hard: "You have to roll 20 to hit. Oh look, the win rate is 1%. We made a hard game, hooray!"

For many people, the enjoyment of a hard game (like the video game Dark Souls) is in getting better at it - it's building a satisfying story: "I couldn't even get a single hit on this boss, now I beat him without taking damage". But if a main source of your difficulty is randomness (as it seems to be here) you won't be able to clearly see the results of your improving skills this way. You could make correct decisions and lose anyway. Or you might win, but feel like you just got good rolls. You're leaving in all the frustration of a hard game, while hamstringing the corresponding satisfaction that comes from improvement.

I don't think it's a recipe for a great game (but, who knows, maybe it'll work out in practice).

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about Space Hulk: Death Angel. My friend bought it, we've played it probably 10+ times by now, and we've never even come close to winning. It's a total co-op game that has a fair amount of randomness and regardless of that, is just brutally difficult. We haven't played it in years now and probably never will again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone even though it has what seems on the surface to be a pretty cool game design.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm glad I live in California where you can't walk a block without passing at least one taqueria or the like.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Helical Nightmares posted:

:words: about Belly of the Beast

You didn't even include the "best" part of the Alpha material (aka the reason I didn't post the KS link when I saw it a few weeks ago):

BotB, p16-17 posted:

Gender roles are both more and less important than during the Eaten Age. There’s too few people - all of whom are tough and capable - in order to segregate work or duties wholly to one gender or another. Plenty of women wield spears, and plenty of men remain in strongholds and care for their children.

However, because of the realities of human anatomy - women are treated as more precious than men, simply because of their ability to reproduce young. A single man with twenty women can make twenty children a year - but a single woman can only make one child a year regardless of the number of men.

As such, men tend to take more proactive and dangerous roles within this survivors’ society - the warriors, the scavengers, the hunters, the foragers. Any position in which it is likely one or more of those wandering the vast wastes will become injured or die is favored by men. In bloody battles or attacks by reavers, it is more likely that men will be killed and women captured. In short, men are expendable and women are not.

However, many men and women have foregone any notion of rearing children - some even imbibing alchemical compounds (or subjecting themselves to crude knifework) to become barren - in order to focus strictly on their own survival. Most view this as a selfless act, for bringing a child into this world, even accidentally, is horrible beyond imagining. Some would say needlessly cruel.

E: That said, the rest of the game looks pretty neat. :shrug:

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 23, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

QuantumNinja posted:

You didn't even include the "best" part of the Alpha material (aka the reason I didn't post the KS link when I saw it a few weeks ago):

Well, on the one hand, it's clear that they really gave it some thought, and tried to approach it from a in-universe-realistic point of view. I can respect the level of detail.

On the other; why is any of that relevant to an RPG sourcebook? It's about 4 times as long as a fluff paragraph needs to me, and honestly they could have stopped after the "men and women are viewed as pretty much equal in this world" bit and really sent the same message.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

QuantumNinja posted:

Neither did you apparently. :allears: Right below that says...

quote:

This gender dichotomy is not designed to create sexism
for its own sake, but rather as an examination of human
culture and reactions in a disastrous and hellish
circumstance. GMs, tread here carefully - or ignore it
altogether if you or your players are uncomfortable
treading here at all.

p. 17 in the alpha

QuantumNinja posted:

You decided to backpedal when one person disagreed with you? Interesting.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 23, 2016

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
In my experience, needing to use a phrase like "x is not designed to create sexism" usually suggests that x is not something you really need to include. That seems to be the case here, too.

E: Has anyone played Tiny Dungeon? Someone's making a space variant that seems interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gallantknightgames/tiny-frontiers-minimalist-science-fiction-roleplay

E2:

You decided to backpedal when one person disagreed with you? Interesting.

No, I revised because living in a massive beast monster seems like a cool setting, and a lot of the other stuff in the game actually has cool flavor as a mix of dungeon-horror and "we live here now" interest. The setting is genuinely neat, random squickiness in the alpha rules aside.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 23, 2016

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

So, this is exploding, Because Cheapass and I guess also Because Rothfuss even though I've never read any of those novels.

quote:

Tak is a new abstract strategy game created by James Ernest and Patrick Rothfuss, based on the game in The Wise Man's Fear.

quote:

Tak uses a square board, which can be any size from 3x3 up to 8x8, but the most common sizes are 5x5 and 6x6 (the "Tavern" and "Classic" games).

Each player has several matching pieces, or "stones," and one special piece called the "Capstone." The Capstone can be any shape, and the other pieces should be simple, stackable pieces in a matching style.

The board starts empty, and the goal is to build a road (a connected string of your pieces) connecting opposite sides of the board.

On each turn, you will either place a piece in an empty space, or move a stack that you control. Stacks must move in a straight line, dropping pieces as they go, and possibly covering other pieces along the way.

You can play a piece upright. This piece is called a "standing stone," or "wall." It can't be part of a road, but other pieces can't stack on top of it.

The Capstone is your power piece. It can be part of a road, it can't be stacked on, and it can also flatten standing stones.

It seems pretty neat. I've backed for a physical set. I really enjoy Pairs, and lots of other James Ernest stuff, even though I end up playing them somewhat rarely. It's been like 3 days and it's >6x funded, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

NTRabbit posted:

The only reason I've ever even heard of a chimichanga is the Deadpool movie, otherwise they remain completely foreign to these parts

Same. This must be what Americans feel like when Europeans talk about döner kebab or something.

Or I don't know. Do you have döner kebab in the States? I've always understood it's a German by-way-of Turkish immigrants thing, kind of like chicken tikka masala is a British by-way-of Indian immigrants thing.

E: huh, apparently döner is a wholly Turkish thing, it's just really popular in Germany on account of a large Turkish population.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 23, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ratpick posted:

Same. This must be what Americans feel like when Europeans talk about döner kebab or something.

Or I don't know. Do you have döner kebab in the States? I've always understood it's a German by-way-of Turkish immigrants thing, kind of like chicken tikka masala is a British by-way-of Indian immigrants thing.

E: huh, apparently döner is a wholly Turkish thing, it's just really popular in Germany on account of a large Turkish population.

Yeah, we've got doner. America is a vast multicultural landscape, and there's not much we really don't have, somewhere.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I wish doner kebabs were more common because they're delicious. We've got em but you can only find them in the big cities, usually in food trucks. You can get a Gyro almost anywhere though and that's almost the same thing.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The rise of specialized food trucks with truly radical ideas about cuisine has been a great thing.

There is a game in this somewhere.

Edit: Ninja Burger/Twisted Metal mash up. :getin:

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 23, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The rise of specialized food trucks with truly radical ideas about cuisine has been a great thing.

There is a game in this somewhere.

Edit: Ninja Burger/Twisted Metal mash up. :getin:

Area control with multiple restaurants/trucks under your employ. Each has a specific type of cuisine which affects payout and level of control in an area. Restaurants are fixed where they're built, but can pull in more money than the mobile trucks. Both can have up to two types of cuisines (i.e. Fusion) to try and maximize appeal or adapt to changing tastes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gnome7 posted:

I wish doner kebabs were more common because they're delicious. We've got em but you can only find them in the big cities, usually in food trucks. You can get a Gyro almost anywhere though and that's almost the same thing.
Oh god I love Gyros so drat much.

I grew up around a fantastic Greek gyro place, and in my current hometown we have a Lebanese gyro place. Kinda cool, seeing the differences.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Area control with multiple restaurants/trucks under your employ. Each has a specific type of cuisine which affects payout and level of control in an area. Restaurants are fixed where they're built, but can pull in more money than the mobile trucks. Both can have up to two types of cuisines (i.e. Fusion) to try and maximize appeal or adapt to changing tastes.

<frantically scribbles notes>

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Since this restaurant derail is still going on, there is good Mexican food to be found in London: Daddy Donkey on Leather Lane (if they're still around, I moved away in 2010 but their webpage is still up so?)

And yeah, you can get doner kebob in America, there's a place a few blocks from where I work in Seattle.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gnome7 posted:

I live in Germany and have no less than 4 döner places within a 5 minute walk of my house.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Since this restaurant derail is still going on, there is good Mexican food to be found in London: Daddy Donkey on Leather Lane (if they're still around, I moved away in 2010 but their webpage is still up so?)

And yeah, you can get doner kebob in America, there's a place a few blocks from where I work in Seattle.

Yeah, it's still there, I work around the corner from it. It's no tex mex though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Drone posted:

I live in Germany and have no less than 4 döner places within a 5 minute walk of my house.

Germany is much closer to Turkey. The US is much closer to Mexico. England isn't close to anything, but used to own all the places. Everyone's food options everywhere are a result of factors like these. I would play a culinary/cultural appropriation Euro, and wish we were talking about that.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
You can in the chat thread :getin:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

That food truck game sounds like something I am going to be into. Maybe make a design challenge here and over in BGG?

O/T: Canada has donair (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab#Canada) in every mid to large city, which is a kind of greek/leb fusion of things. Along with shawarma; it rules.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Maybe Food Chain Magnate will get a food truck expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/170295/foodtown-throwdown
https://www.producthunt.com/games/space-food-truck-kickstarter
http://www.target.com/p/frankie-s-food-truck-fiasco-educational-game/-/A-17270558

• Locked thread