Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Secx posted:

Yhorm is a badly designed fight in my opinion.

I got the hint that I was supposed to use the sword against him my first time. I was able to equip it without dying, then realized it didn't do jack poo poo as damage. I died. Respawn, read the item description and figure out I need to use the L2 skill. Round 2: I press L2 and nothing happens. I die. I finally figure out you need to charge it by holding L2.

Nothing else in the game has a chargeable L2 skill and the game doesn't teach you that. I go in with a charged L2 and whack at him for peanuts again. I die. Turns out you need to have a charged L2 AND have to press R1 to unleash the attack. Again, no other weapon in the game has a similar skill and no enemies showed that kind of skill either.

It'd be much better if they gave the player subtle clues or hints by having previous enemies use that kind of skill on you.

Somebody didn't play Demon's Souls :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Put The Kirkhammer In Dark Souls 3

Bloodborne still has the best looking weapons in the series. They are so wonderfully brutal because they are designed to rip apart giant monsters rather than swordfighting,

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Secx posted:

I got the hint that I was supposed to use the sword against him my first time. I was able to equip it without dying, then realized it didn't do jack poo poo as damage. I died. Respawn, read the item description and figure out I need to use the L2 skill. Round 2: I press L2 and nothing happens. I die. I finally figure out you need to charge it by holding L2.

Nothing else in the game has a chargeable L2 skill and the game doesn't teach you that. I go in with a charged L2 and whack at him for peanuts again. I die. Turns out you need to have a charged L2 AND have to press R1 to unleash the attack. Again, no other weapon in the game has a similar skill and no enemies showed that kind of skill either.

It'd be much better if they gave the player subtle clues or hints by having previous enemies use that kind of skill on you.

Punishment for not playing Demon's Souls

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Secx posted:

The clue was in demons souls you loving casual scrub get the gently caress outta my sight

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I'm trying to play the game co-op with a friend who is playing for the first time while I'm using an endgame character. We have passwords set and everything, but she's still only able to see my summon sign sporadically (as in, we've only gotten it to work once).

Is there anything specific I can do to increase the odds of having my summon sign show up for her? I already make sure to take off my armor and weapons every time just in case having powerful gear blocks you from connecting to lower level characters.

Bit late, but for sign visibility it helps a lot to drop your sign in a place everyone else doesn't. One of the announcements mentioned it, but basically more signs in an area makes it dramatically less likely yours shows up. If after about a minute they don't see a sign, walk a bit out and drop it down elsewhere.

They can also drop then cancel their summon sign to cycle lobbies still, I think. Seemed to help when playing with friends.

edit: Basically they hosed up a thing that DaS2 got right, and passwords don't kick you to your own lobby the way the ring of names seemed to.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

that is a super gay way to describe dark souls combat and I love it

i've always thought of the combat in these games as a dance. there's a specific rhythm to every encounter.

WaltherFeng posted:

Bloodborne still has the best looking weapons in the series. They are so wonderfully brutal because they are designed to rip apart giant monsters rather than swordfighting,

i don't get why people complain about build variety or whatever in bloodborne i'd much prefer a much smaller amount of weapons and types for that level of coolness.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Is anyone else getting really awful frame rates on Xbox one? Is there anything I can do about it?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WaltherFeng posted:

Bloodborne still has the best looking weapons in the series. They are so wonderfully brutal because they are designed to dissect giant monsters with surgical precision rather than swordfighting,

Trick weapons owned so much, more than weapon arts, but they're now legally owned by Sony so don't expect to ever see them again except in Bloodborne 2 in 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its a dance where making the wrong step results in getting stabbed by an angry zombie.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Charliegrs posted:

Is anyone else getting really awful frame rates on Xbox one? Is there anything I can do about it?

Bad news friend...

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Somebody didn't play Demon's Souls :colbert:

I played Demon's Souls and I still spent 30 minutes not figuring out you had to charge it for a long time. I might be wrong, but all you had to do in Demon's Souls was use the R2 I thought.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Charliegrs posted:

lol you own an xboxone/

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I didn't realize you could charge it either until I asked in the thread. Then I killed Yorhm effortlessly and felt immensely sad that the fight I'd been looking forward to was a lovely gimmick.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've always thought of the combat in these games as a dance. there's a specific rhythm to every encounter.

Pontiff is what made me think of it in these terms.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TGLT posted:

Bit late, but for sign visibility it helps a lot to drop your sign in a place everyone else doesn't. One of the announcements mentioned it, but basically more signs in an area makes it dramatically less likely yours shows up. If after about a minute they don't see a sign, walk a bit out and drop it down elsewhere.

They can also drop then cancel their summon sign to cycle lobbies still, I think. Seemed to help when playing with friends.

edit: Basically they hosed up a thing that DaS2 got right, and passwords don't kick you to your own lobby the way the ring of names seemed to.

I'm gonna give this a shot. Thanks!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Charliegrs posted:

squint a bit so it doesn't seem so bad?

or buy a console/computer that isn't poo poo :xbone:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 23, 2016

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

get more esram

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Asked earlier but got no response so I'll try again.

I'm not getting a prompt to put the twin princes ashes on the middle throne in firelink shrine. Is that a problem or do I need to do something else with them? I've filled all the other thrones with no issues.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

So my main pvp character right now is just SL31 with a Dark Sword and 25 VGR. It feels like everyone I invade maybe has somewhere around 600-700 hp. I feel like I'm able to win a lot of 1v2 and 2v3 fights just because of this hp advantage and I'm really worried about how it will be once I level beyond this.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stargate posted:

Asked earlier but got no response so I'll try again.

I'm not getting a prompt to put the twin princes ashes on the middle throne in firelink shrine. Is that a problem or do I need to do something else with them? I've filled all the other thrones with no issues.

Pretty sure it's the same deal as the other three thrones. Only thing I can think of is obvious stuff -- restarting game/system, play with your positioning. Have you tried talking to Ludleth and the Fire Keeper, just in case?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Anyone else think it's weird that you can talk to a primordial serpent in that bit of the smouldering lake but it doesn't talk about frampt or kaathe or anything to do with the lore? Also their little legs are gross as hell.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So, rolling through the game a second time as a pyromancer cause I ignored all magic the first go around. Been embering up and using the dried finger and only summoning mad phantoms (albeit only occasionally, I'm not always summoning them when I see them). Wearing Way of Blue too. Lots of PvP situations devolving into glorious messes.

Edit:

Anyone else think it's weird that you can talk to a primordial serpent in that bit of the smouldering lake but it doesn't talk about frampt or kaathe or anything to do with the lore? Also their little legs are gross as hell.

I don't recall this at all. Where is this?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

enojy posted:

Pretty sure it's the same deal as the other three thrones. Only thing I can think of is obvious stuff -- restarting game/system, play with your positioning. Have you tried talking to Ludleth and the Fire Keeper, just in case?

Yeah if I remember right the positioning was very finicky for me. Like you don't actually do it right up against the chair like the others, but a few steps away.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Has anyone done the math on prisoner's chain to see if it's a health increase or not? Also any math on whether prisoner's chain or ring of favor is better if you're only going to wear one.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

wait what

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

don't troll this is a safe space

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

enojy posted:

I gave the fire keeper some eyes earlier and that's all she talks about now. Maybe if I grant her wish and kill her that'll sort it out?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
been using long sword (started knight) since the beginning of the game and it's at +4 refined. For a well-rounded build where I'm giving equal weighting to strength and dexterity (around 20 for each at the moment) is refined the best infusion type? I'm also using a +3 fire uchigatana and was thinking I'd start upgrading a dark sword. Really prefer the sword + board medium-heavy armor approach with a little pyro thrown in for flavor.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I hate how they bought Seathe back and explained it with "actually I had another immortality crystal all along" but then he gives you a book talking about how Gwynivere was actually a creature from the Abyss secretly causing the downfall of Gwyn's empire and you're like oh okay maybe you're cool, nude dragon.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Has anyone done the math on prisoner's chain to see if it's a health increase or not? Also any math on whether prisoner's chain or ring of favor is better if you're only going to wear one.

Hard to say, since FaP gives a %increase, while Chain gives raw points which would be effected by the breakpoints and such, I'd think. Also the formula for how absorption works is really complicated, I think?

So I'd think it'd be on a case by case basis. If you have lots of points in vigor, FaP would give a larger increase. If you're wearing heavy armour, Chain's weakness is mitigated a bit, and so on.

e; I mean I'm probably totally wrong about this and someone's going to come along with a bunch of math, but, you know

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
also trying to figure out what the best covenant rewards are going to be for a character with very very low intellect + faith. I don't want to farm a covenant to be rewarded with a spell I'll never use.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
FROM not allowed to fix Sword Master glitch ever.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't get why people complain about build variety or whatever in bloodborne i'd much prefer a much smaller amount of weapons and types for that level of coolness.

I don't get how people still do the "Bloodborne had so many less weapons!" thing. Like sure on pure numbers I guess, but that's because BB didn't have anywhere near as much of the "Straight sword, but like this. Katana, but with this heavy attack. Spear, but shorter." redundant junk weapons, which I'm pretty cool with throwing in the trash if it means more actual value to every weapon.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

ShadowMar posted:

is it any straight sword or any rapier besides the crystal sage rapier? no? then yea it's lovely.

lmfao

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I don't get how people still do the "Bloodborne had so many less weapons!" thing. Like sure on pure numbers I guess, but that's because BB didn't have anywhere near as much of the "Straight sword, but like this. Katana, but with this heavy attack. Spear, but shorter." redundant junk weapons, which I'm pretty cool with throwing in the trash if it means more actual value to every weapon.

It did have the problem of many weapon types only being available very late in the game, like the cool scythe.

Sure it's present here too, but to a much lesser degree.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

MMD3 posted:

also trying to figure out what the best covenant rewards are going to be for a character with very very low intellect + faith. I don't want to farm a covenant to be rewarded with a spell I'll never use.

watchdogs give a ring, sword and shield. Finger's rank 1 is a ring. Moundmaker's rank 1 is a katana. Other than that it's spells or magic related items.

Although there's no harm in sunbroing. Like if you're going to do co-op, just pop the covenant on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HnK416 posted:

What the gently caress are those things?? Are they hostile, do you leave them alone?

I believe the implication is that they're Irithyll outriders transforming into beasts, like Vordt.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I don't get why people act like playing Demon's Souls will make the Yhorm fight easier to figure out. I ran in, noticed I was doing no damage and picked up the weapon, said "oh poo poo" and immediately equipped it and did a 2 handed R2 and said "why didn't a beam shoot out why is it still doing no damage" then I thought "maybe the weapon skill is the beam this time" so I tried all sorts of combinations of L2 and R2 and L2 and R1 and still got nothing and had to die and gently caress around at the bonfire for awhile until I figured out that it charges.

Storm Bringer is nothing like it is in Demon's Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fister Roboto posted:

I believe the implication is that they're Irithyll outriders transforming into beasts, like Vordt.

nah theyre probably oceiros's buds