Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ben Smash posted:

Guys I'm thinking of starting a new goons schism alliance "NO MARTINIS [TMDC]"

Right now we only have two corps

Smash Investments and Poor Decisions [GILA.] - Holding Corp (defunct)
Drunk Driving on a Wednesday [WEDS.] - Hauling Corp (defunct)

Who's down?

please invite my corp The Dankest Chimichangas Ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

scandoslav posted:

Use it as a holding alliance to claim all of those names you thought up when we were naming sqwid, those were beautiful.

Oh man. I wrote like 50 names. I need to get those from the forums before I get banned for sedition.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Otacon posted:

please invite my corp The Dankest Chimichangas Ever

You can be our moneymaker corp. Your taxes will be set on a sliding scale, starting at 90%.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

after i finished moving all of my deklein stash down to jita, i make all my isk from market trading, tax that, rear end in a top hat

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

just kidding, i haven't logged in for over a week

mods, please change the stylesheet of this thread to BYOBs stylesheet, and the stylesheet of the main thread to FYADs stylesheet so that I can differentiate the different threads or else I might accidentally call someone an rear end in a top hat in the chill thread again, my apologies

blakangel
Mar 28, 2004
broken reflection on the surface of never

Ben Smash posted:

Who's down?

hey my neut hauler is in WEDS.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Otacon posted:

after i finished moving all of my deklein stash down to jita, i make all my isk from market trading, tax that, rear end in a top hat

It's up to you to contribute in a honest way. I have confidence that you will do the right thing.

Otacon posted:

mods, please change the stylesheet of this thread to BYOBs stylesheet, and the stylesheet of the main thread to FYADs stylesheet so that I can differentiate the different threads or else I might accidentally call someone an rear end in a top hat in the chill thread again, my apologies

You don't have to log in, I just need you to post a lot.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

blakangel posted:

hey my neut hauler is in WEDS.

I know, and that's why you're logistics director of TMDC!

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Otacon posted:

4B up! Maybe I can do this after all!

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Hey Syndic, I could use a little start-up capital for my new alliance.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

abigserve posted:

Don't mine. Mining wastes a ton of skillpoints and the ISK return is never worth it. If you want to play "space relaxation tape" do exploration, if you want to watch netflix while watching your wallet slowly increase train for the drone ratting ships and go that route. I gurantee you will get bored of mining within the week or when you realize how much everything is actually worth.

gas

huffing

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I scanned down 8 or so more highsec relic and data sites tonight and almost doubled my wallet. Found a ton of wormholes and an ice mining site, too. I may buy another scanning frigate hull with fit and try scanning some w space stuff but I think I will wait until I sub and can train cloaking and another clone so I don't lose my +1s when I get exploded.

I think I made some miners nervous when I jumped into a belt to check out what they were doing, they warped out pretty quick. Why would they be afraid of a heron?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jazzzzz posted:

I scanned down 8 or so more highsec relic and data sites tonight and almost doubled my wallet. Found a ton of wormholes and an ice mining site, too. I may buy another scanning frigate hull with fit and try scanning some w space stuff but I think I will wait until I sub and can train cloaking and another clone so I don't lose my +1s when I get exploded.

I think I made some miners nervous when I jumped into a belt to check out what they were doing, they warped out pretty quick. Why would they be afraid of a heron?

Because people like me will use an innocent-looking ship to give the catalysts a warpin

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Because people like me will use an innocent-looking ship to give the catalysts a warpin

if it wouldn't get him wardec'd it would be fun to do this and tell people we're clearing out Videogames' competition and charge for "mining rights" in whatever systems he lays claim to

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Jazzzzz posted:

if it wouldn't get him wardec'd it would be fun to do this and tell people we're clearing out Videogames' competition and charge for "mining rights" in whatever systems he lays claim to

we can always ally him if people wardec him :unsmigghh:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

abigserve posted:

Don't mine. Mining wastes a ton of skillpoints and the ISK return is never worth it. If you want to play "space relaxation tape" do exploration, if you want to watch netflix while watching your wallet slowly increase train for the drone ratting ships and go that route. I gurantee you will get bored of mining within the week or when you realize how much everything is actually worth.

Ah, that's lovely. I just wanted to become a wealthy rock tycoon while grinding out bigger and better mining ships.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

ROFLburger posted:

Ah, that's lovely. I just wanted to become a wealthy rock tycoon while grinding out bigger and better mining ships.

you can mine if you want to dude, cool newbie VideoGames is doing that and having lots of fun and it's SUPER CUTE AS gently caress

also like someone said mining is gonna be insanely necessary due to moons changing

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ROFLburger posted:

You can do it if you want to but you won't ever make it rich off mining and it gimps your account (mining skills don't translate into anything else). In addition the top tier mining ships aren't really that amazing, they basically just get steadily better at harvesting and tanking until they...don't anymore.

Like ol matey said though gas huffing on the other hand:
- Takes very little skill investment
- Is a much more isk efficient
- Will introduce you to a bunch of actually good mechanics

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Started a trial a couple days ago, decided to learn how to do scanning for data/relic stuff in lowsec. I've blown up a handful of times. Learned how to check the map for recent kills in a system to see if it's safe to pass through it (first death by gate camp). Figured out how to use the d-scan to see if someone entering the system is looking for you by checking for combat probes (second death someone just warped in while i was sitting in dead space honing in a signature scan).

This third death I could use input if there was something else I could have done: I was hauling back some stuff, I was one jump away from highsec, in a system that was the border between a 0.2 system and a 0.7 one. I came in and at the gate was a single player with a -10 security status. Didn't seem like he would have time to do anything to me before I de-cloaked and jumped to the next gate, so I did just that. Upon getting near my destination the first thing I see is the bottom right corner notification about the kill confirm. The gate didn't even load on my screen before a smart bomb wiped me out.

I must have been the first death because the map didn't say any recent death had occurred in the system. That aside though, what could I have done to prevent this death under these circumstances? I wasn't even aware I could die between the time of exiting warp and jumping a gate without a bubble preventing me from getting the needed distance. I assume a smart bomb is the only way to do this?

In these border systems should I just never warp to within 0 km on a gate, staying out of range of a smart bomb? Was that guy I saw at the starting gate in on it? Did he just notify his friend someone had just warped toward his gate and to activate a pre-emptive bomb? Not sure if there's a time delay on them or their damage effect occurs over a period of time.

oh and one more note: I know a cloaking device would be useful in my ventures but I can't learn the skill while on a trial.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

the Gaffe posted:

Started a trial a couple days ago, decided to learn how to do scanning for data/relic stuff in lowsec. I've blown up a handful of times. Learned how to check the map for recent kills in a system to see if it's safe to pass through it (first death by gate camp). Figured out how to use the d-scan to see if someone entering the system is looking for you by checking for combat probes (second death someone just warped in while i was sitting in dead space honing in a signature scan).

This third death I could use input if there was something else I could have done: I was hauling back some stuff, I was one jump away from highsec, in a system that was the border between a 0.2 system and a 0.7 one. I came in and at the gate was a single player with a -10 security status. Didn't seem like he would have time to do anything to me before I de-cloaked and jumped to the next gate, so I did just that. Upon getting near my destination the first thing I see is the bottom right corner notification about the kill confirm. The gate didn't even load on my screen before a smart bomb wiped me out.

I must have been the first death because the map didn't say any recent death had occurred in the system. That aside though, what could I have done to prevent this death under these circumstances? I wasn't even aware I could die between the time of exiting warp and jumping a gate without a bubble preventing me from getting the needed distance. I assume a smart bomb is the only way to do this?

In these border systems should I just never warp to within 0 km on a gate, staying out of range of a smart bomb? Was that guy I saw at the starting gate in on it? Did he just notify his friend someone had just warped toward his gate and to activate a pre-emptive bomb? Not sure if there's a time delay on them or their damage effect occurs over a period of time.

oh and one more note: I know a cloaking device would be useful in my ventures but I can't learn the skill while on a trial.

warp to something not between the gates, preferably a planet close to the gate but perpendicular or at least at some sort of vaguely wide angle and you can scan it to see if you want to go, smart bombs dont cover anywhere near the radius of the gate so unless it's a giant and bad system you can usually just land out of range of him

smartbombs instantly do damage, but there's a chance the other guy was a scout yes, but you also show up as you land on grid and it can be timed to gently caress your face

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

There are a couple ways you could go about avoiding those.

The first would be to make 'tacticals' or bookmarks that are around 170-200km off of the gate so you can warp to those before warping down to the gate, so you can see what's on gate before approaching it.

You can also just warp to the gate at a range other than 0, because the smartbombers are generally going to be sitting right at 5-7.5km off of the gate so they can be within smartbomb range as soon as you land.

Sometimes if you warp to a nearby celestial, such as just a planet or customs office, you can D-Scan in the direction of the gate you're going to to make sure there's nobody on it, and in that case, I believe the most common smartbombing ships are usually Battleships, and I've seen a few people use the Proteus for it.

But usually people will smartbomb on gates in pipe systems that just have two gates, so they can just D-Scan in the direction of the entrance gate, sit in line with the entrance gate and smartbomb on the exit gate.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Ahh, I hadn't considered that the smartbomb's range wouldn't cover anywhere near the whole gate. That makes sense.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
yeah they have like a 10k radius roughly, and gate radius is normally like 30-50k from the model of the gate i think? certain gate types have a much larger radius as well

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Yeah they usually just cover the landing area from whatever gate they're lined up with, warping in from pretty much any other celestial will be out of range generally.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
To avoid lowsec gate poo poo altogether, scan for wormholes instead and hide out in the chain, running the sites within, then when you have enough scan until you get a highsec exit then do it again.

It's a bit of a PITA learning how wormholes work but it's worth it in the long run - realizing with a bit of scanning you can basically get from anywhere to anywhere else is amazing. When I left goons I evacced my poo poo to highsec through a lowsec->highsec chain starting in E-FIC0 lol

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

abigserve posted:

To avoid lowsec gate poo poo altogether, scan for wormholes instead and hide out in the chain, running the sites within, then when you have enough scan until you get a highsec exit then do it again.

It's a bit of a PITA learning how wormholes work but it's worth it in the long run - realizing with a bit of scanning you can basically get from anywhere to anywhere else is amazing. When I left goons I evacced my poo poo to highsec through a lowsec->highsec chain starting in E-FIC0 lol

moving assets around in Eve is the worst part of the game. Hats off to logistics directors. I prefer the "fire sale and buy imports" method.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Ben Smash posted:

Who's down?

Is there a place for the Innsmouth Inshore lifeboat Service [TILDS]?

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Endie posted:

Is there a place for the Innsmouth Inshore lifeboat Service [TILDS]?

Yes all are welcome.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

this continues to be a terrible shop

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

ChickenWing posted:

Quoting for posterity, ya dumbie

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

ChickenWing posted:

ccp name changed goonfleet to oldgoonfleet

https://gate.eveonline.com/Corporation/goonfleet

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

weaselior i trusted you D:

also, holy loving poo poo that's not okay

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

ChickenWing posted:

weaselior i trusted you D:

also, holy loving poo poo that's not okay

DJ explains: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/4giqze/goonfleet_corp_freed_from_band_of_brothers/d2hwvrz

Foe Hammer
Feb 6, 2016

Strategy is for people that don't have Swords! Play devil’s advocate even when you know you’re wrong because a blog where everyone agrees is boring!

Foehammer007 posted:

I AM THE FOEHAMMER HERE

nope I was here second.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

that's not an explanation at all

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me