Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

USSRDM vette ladacart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

neckbeard posted:

New Lego Porsche 911 GT3 RS set finally revealed - 1:8 scale at 2700 pieces

http://jaysbrickblog.com/2016/04/25/lego-unveils-the-stunning-42056-technic-porsche-911-gt3-rs/

insert catching fire joke here

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Witnessed this at Aliso Viejo Cars n Coffee:

http://www.mishimoto.com/toyo-tires-2012-smart-car.html

:stare:

edit: Seems more like appearance than performance :shrug:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 25, 2016

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Powershift posted:

USSRDM vette ladacart

:swoon:

That's a hot Lada. Words I never thought I'd type in that order without other wry / sarcastic things around them.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

sofullofhate posted:

:swoon:

That's a hot Lada. Words I never thought I'd type in that order without other wry / sarcastic things around them.

That's not even really a Lada any more, though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

EightBit posted:

Oh cmon I bet it's a lada fun.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

fyodor posted:

Oh cmon I bet it's a lada fun.

:downsrim:

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

EightBit posted:

you could even say there's not a lada Lada left?

triple clutcher fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 26, 2016

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

neckbeard posted:

http://jaysbrickblog.com/2016/04/25/lego-unveils-the-stunning-42056-technic-porsche-911-gt3-rs/

OMG I want that, don't care on the price

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

You Am I posted:

OMG I want that, don't care on the price

$300, just in case.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The price seems fair for something like that, but I really am not much of a technic builder and can't imagine what I'd do with $300 worth of technic bits.

Plus I hate all all the gaps in the body panels even though I understand that's the technic "look".

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

xzzy posted:

Plus I hate all all the gaps in the body panels even though I understand that's the technic "look".

This is my issue with it. Specifically, the massive gaping loving holes between the headlights and the bumper. poo poo looks dumb as hell.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It sucks because lego almost always looks like poo poo when they try to use it to replicate something real. Lego is great when it's representational, you can make <generic sports car> and it'll look great because you can build around all the stylistic weaknesses and give the impression of details and technology. But when you're forced into making a real thing that looks a particular way it usually falls over really badly, like in this case.

They could probably make a much better looking one but then 90% of the model would be custom oddball bricks specifically made for that set and effectively useless elsewhere unless you want something to look like a 911 quarter panel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The F40 and Mini look spectacular. The bus looks pretty drat good too but it's not as perfect, they over detailed it a bit.

Some of the angles on the models are off but it's close enough to impress.

The ecto-1 they did is really good too.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Slavvy posted:

It sucks because lego almost always looks like poo poo when they try to use it to replicate something real. Lego is great when it's representational, you can make <generic sports car> and it'll look great because you can build around all the stylistic weaknesses and give the impression of details and technology. But when you're forced into making a real thing that looks a particular way it usually falls over really badly, like in this case.

They could probably make a much better looking one but then 90% of the model would be custom oddball bricks specifically made for that set and effectively useless elsewhere unless you want something to look like a 911 quarter panel.

This is why the Architecture series works so well. God do I want the Imperial Hotel set.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

The F40 and Mini look spectacular. The bus looks pretty drat good too but it's not as perfect, they over detailed it a bit.

Some of the angles on the models are off but it's close enough to impress.

The ecto-1 they did is really good too.

The VW looks great but the other two look pretty crap imo. The mini is nice in having a cool engine bay detail and stuff but there's just not enough scope for flowing curves in lego to make it convincing.

toplitzin posted:

This is why the Architecture series works so well. God do I want the Imperial Hotel set.

Falling water :swoon:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

The price seems fair for something like that, but I really am not much of a technic builder and can't imagine what I'd do with $300 worth of technic bits.

Are model cars still a thing? Back in the 80's you could assemble nice little models of popular cars that essentially boiled down to really fragile toys you could never play with once you spent a bunch of time painting and gluing them together.

Edit: yeah look at this shitastrophe I glued together when I was like 8, with panel gaps barely surpassing technics.

davebo fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 26, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well if you need perfection there's always scale models. Hope you got a steady hand though. :v:

And know how to do body paint.

Edit - heh, beat! I'm pretty sure Estes is out there somewhere still selling their kits.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

davebo posted:

Are model cars still a thing? Back in the 80's you could assemble nice little models of popular cars that essentially boiled down to really fragile toys you could never play with once you spent a bunch of time painting and gluing them together.

Edit: yeah look at this shitastrophe I glued together when I was like 8, with panel gaps barely surpassing technics.

Those panel gaps look 100% realistic based on how the real car was put together. This goes for most classic models.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

The panel gaps is why I stuck to chrysler products:

This started life as the unimog kit, till a poo poo load of beer + winter break happened. Now its a jeep brute with a 2 speed automatic and a few other goodies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems to be suffering from a header deficit. That's gonna impact compression.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

davebo posted:

Yes, scale modeling is still very much a thing. You can get model kits of almost any car depending on the depth of your wallet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Locator posted:

Yes, scale modeling is still very much a thing. You can get model kits of almost any car depending on the depth of your wallet.

That got me searching for dumb poo poo, and it's true!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007H0GTQ0/rocketfin-20

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

If you have a *lot* of spare cash, and want to make an extremely nice model, then Pocher is your cup of tea - https://www.pocher.com/uk-en/

Of course they only do super-expensive kits in time-limited runs, so they become extremely collectible and the price only goes up.

Note the pricing on this site( http://modellers-workshop.com/category/shop/pocher-scale-model-kits/ ) , which carries a fairly good number of kits that you can't buy from Pocher anymore, the prices are listed as "please inquire", if they aren't $1500-$2500+. Heh.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey if any of you are looking at scale models, come to the scale model thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

Car modeling is under represented, so join us!

We do poo poo like this:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

neckbeard posted:

Gonna grab one of these for sure. Park it next to my 599 GTB set.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

xzzy posted:

These things fetch crazy prices once they are discontinued. There's an exclusive set of wheels in this kit which will probably fetch $100+ alone on bricklink in a few years. I'm thinking of picking up two of them, one to build, one to sell in 3 years recouping the price of both.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Grater posted:

These things fetch crazy prices once they are discontinued. There's an exclusive set of wheels in this kit which will probably fetch $100+ alone on bricklink in a few years. I'm thinking of picking up two of them, one to build, one to sell in 3 years recouping the price of both.

I have a Millenium Falcon set that is supposedly worth $1500, bought originally for $299; an Eiffel Tower worth $700, originally $280. Lego is already ridiculously high prices, and then out-of-production sets are even more ridiculous.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey if any of you are looking at scale models, come to the scale model thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

Car modeling is under represented, so join us!

We do poo poo like this:

I've got three model kits waiting to go together, time to lose a few hours of my life gathering ideas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sigma X posted:

I have a Millenium Falcon set that is supposedly worth $1500, bought originally for $299; an Eiffel Tower worth $700, originally $280. Lego is already ridiculously high prices, and then out-of-production sets are even more ridiculous.

LEGO is actually a really good investment. I just sold an early Marvel set for $340 and I paid $45 for it when it was new.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

LEGO is actually a really good investment. I just sold an early Marvel set for $340 and I paid $45 for it when it was new.

A friend of mine buys two of each Lego set: one to build and then the other one pays off both and then some in a few months after it's discontinued.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A friend of mine buys two of each Lego set: one to build and then the other one pays off both and then some in a few months after it's discontinued.

I know a good dozen people who do this. If I can the extra income I'd do the same. At least one of them sits on them long enough that in the end it more than pays for the hobby.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
We interrupt LEGO chat with this special bulletin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Bmh2_XgZM

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
https://gfycat.com/HoarseSociableAngora

:catstare:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Saw that in the other thread. Those are washers, right? Because those look like washers. That is not awesome.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Those look like lug nuts that snapped in half.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Or they're mag/alloy wheel nuts with washers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zoom.

Enhance.

Enhance.

Enhance.

Enhance.

Enhance.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Getting your nuts off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Futher zooming/enhancing/rotating/enhancing suggests they might have been running spacers on a 1000hp car with slicks.