Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

It was too big.

Smythe posted:

I'm the guy kvetching over performance on a sub $300 unlocked Nexus phone. Jesus Christ.

Maybe people don't want a phone that took months to patch out glitches and lovely performance that it shouldn't have had it in the first place.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

On Terra Firma posted:

It was too big.

I have big hands :wink:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have big hands :wink:

I can fit basketballs between each of my fingers and still have a firm grip on one in my palm.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

Maybe people don't want a phone that took months to patch out glitches and lovely performance that it shouldn't have had it in the first place.

Any OEM non-Nexus phone never gets patched at all, and has worse performance due to its bad software. The 5x came out at par, and is now the second best Android phone on the market. The best is the 6P. Then there's a huge chasm where the older Nexus phones are, and then there's the "literally worthless" pile which is OEM handsets that nobody should buy under any circumstance.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
This poo poo is not even hyperbole. It is the honest truth.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
In case you were still wondering about how deluded HTC is

https://twitter.com/OmeteotI/status/725036053359419392

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Smythe posted:

Any OEM non-Nexus phone never gets patched at all, and has worse performance due to its bad software.

You're right no phones are patched ever to fix lag and stutter that almost everyone had problems with for months. Never happens ever.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

You're right no phones are patched ever to fix lag and stutter that almost everyone had problems with for months. Never happens ever.

Every OEM/carrier handset is riddled with bugs, malware, intrusive and ugly "differentiation" bloat. They suffer from rampant hardware problems with no elegant path to amelioration. The fact that the 5x actually got fixed (merely an upgrade from its already superior state) is a testament to how far beyond head and shoulders the Nexus line is compared to the trash the thieves and con men in carrier stores are shilling.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Smythe posted:

Every OEM/carrier handset is riddled with bugs, malware, intrusive and ugly "differentiation" bloat. They suffer from rampant hardware problems with no elegant path to amelioration. The fact that the 5x actually got fixed (merely an upgrade from its already superior state) is a testament to how far beyond head and shoulders the Nexus line is compared to the trash the thieves and con men in carrier stores are shilling.

I wasn't even going to respond to this because you're on the verge of being a gimmick, but blaming people for selling phones when that's their job is dumb as hell. It's what they get paid to do.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 27, 2016

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

I wasn't even going to respond to this because you're edging on the verge of being a gimmick, but blaming people for selling phones when that's their job is dumb as hell. It's what they get paid to do.

You have to be seriously lacking in reading comprehension of you think I'm placing blame on Joe Blow Kiosk salesman for issues endemic in Android hardware and software. By any chance, did you begin devouring college level literature as a small child and have a very high IQ?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Smythe posted:

You have to be seriously lacking in reading comprehension of you think I'm placing blame on Joe Blow Kiosk salesman for issues endemic in Android hardware and software. By any chance, did you begin devouring college level literature as a small child and have a very high IQ?

I've had to sell phones to get by in the past and calling people who do that thieves and con men is retarded and ignorant. There is a ton of pressure put on sales people to get people on new phones and into new contracts. It's the job. There are probably people that love android in this thread that have to do it to pay the bills. Christ you're insufferable.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

I've had to sell phones to get by in the past and calling people who do that thieves and con men is retarded and ignorant. There is a ton of pressure put on sales people to get people on new phones and into new contracts. It's the job. There are probably people that love android in this thread that have to do it to pay the bills. Christ you're insufferable.

You have really bad reading comprehension dude. It's really surprising to me that you could read the post you quoted and write that completely inane and nonsensical reply. You seriously need to go back and reread my post lol.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Yea Brother. I'm blaming the kiosk jockey for bad hardware and software, also lack of updates. Right after their shift at the Verizon store they go in the back by the break room and manufacture piece of poo poo handsets and also program the cellular radio firmware or whatever.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
As I sit here and ruminate on your frothy apoplectic outburst, I've come to feel that it's best if you apologize to me for insinuating that I'd come in here and poo poo on blue collar folks, when it was patently obvious that the swindlers I was referring to are the corporate overlords.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

broken clock opsec posted:

Holy poo poo.. that's as bad as that one fox news analyst who said everyone home in America would have a 3d TV in 3 years like 4 years ago.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm going to give HTC the benefit of the doubt and assume they were talking about smartphones being used as VR devices versus dedicated VR devices.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

On Terra Firma posted:

. Christ you're insufferable.

Says the person engaging Smythe.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

broken clock opsec posted:

Well i mean it's marketing, of course they're going to print stuff that's not true.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't really think that means HTC is deluded. For one, I assumed it probably meant smart phone VR vs dedicated VR devices and secondly it's obviously just a marketing type of slide.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The fact that it has labelled axes makes it much closer to reality than 99% of marketing graphs

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I might get killed in here for this, but has anyone ever touched or even owned a Nextbit Robin? I'm looking for a midrange phone and fell in love with the design. That thing really sets itself apart from the rest. I'd be coming from a Nexus 6, so it'd most likely be a downgrade performance wise, right? Reviews are mixed to positive. Battery seems to be mediocre but I'm in the sub 3h SOC time with my Nexus anyway so I'm not exactly spoiled on that end.

It's not even the stupid cloud gimmick. It's just...it looks so cool and seems to have awesome build quality, which is what's most important to me (I hate the gaps on the back of the Nexus 6 and am still looking for most of the letters that have fallen out...).

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

AlexF posted:

I might get killed in here for this, but has anyone ever touched or even owned a Nextbit Robin? I'm looking for a midrange phone and fell in love with the design. That thing really sets itself apart from the rest. I'd be coming from a Nexus 6, so it'd most likely be a downgrade performance wise, right? Reviews are mixed to positive. Battery seems to be mediocre but I'm in the sub 3h SOC time with my Nexus anyway so I'm not exactly spoiled on that end.

It's not even the stupid cloud gimmick. It's just...it looks so cool and seems to have awesome build quality, which is what's most important to me (I hate the gaps on the back of the Nexus 6 and am still looking for most of the letters that have fallen out...).

I saw a good review for the camera at least.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

AlexF posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and quote Smythe here because he's not wrong:

Smythe posted:

Do not, under any circumstance, purchase an Android phone outside the Nexus program. There are no circumstances where it is preferable, desirable, or acceptable. There are no edge cases. There are no use cases. There are absolutely zero times when it is advisable to purchase a non-Nexus Android handset. Accept no other advice. Court no other offers. Deliberate on no other consultancy. Do not, under any circumstance, purchase an Android phone outside the Nexus program.

There is no reason to buy a Robin when the current Nexus phones are better in every way and, more importantly, priced at the same level.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nimper posted:

are better in every way

Well, I don't know anything about the Nextbit Robin, but this guy says it has awesome build quality which I don't think really describes the 5x. I mean, the 5x is a great phone and I wouldn't call its build quality bad, but it's certainly not amazing.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
It's one of the points that every review mentions, so there must be some truth to it, right?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
As long as the build quality of a phone is "good enough" then it doesn't matter. Focus on the rest of the experience, because that's where most of the frustrations will come into play.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nimper posted:

As long as the build quality of a phone is "good enough" then it doesn't matter.

Well, that's tautological.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

Would you recommend that people not purchase the Nexus 5X based on its build quality?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

I finally upgraded my wonderful relay 4g, the last drat phone with a keyboard I could really find, to a 5x. It works great for a dirty no keyboard phone.

Blackberry Priv is $399.99 on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=3905168&SID=

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
HTC is building TWO nexus devices it looks like

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...n-and-sailfish/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nimper posted:

Would you recommend that people not purchase the Nexus 5X based on its build quality?

No, I'd tell them that it doesn't have premium build quality so they should or should not get it depending on how important build quality was to them.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

You're tautological.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

No, I'd tell them that it doesn't have premium build quality so they should or should not get it depending on how important build quality was to them.

Does battery life fall under that?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

Does battery life fall under that?

Sure. I personally care little about battery life, but it's more important to others so that's what I say.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Speaking of battery life, has anyone noticed their Bluetooth draining a lot lately? Seems to be since the last system update. I'm talking more than screen fairly often.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Thermopyle posted:

Sure. I personally care little about battery life, but it's more important to others so that's what I say.

lol, everyone cares about battery life, i'd bet you'd change your tune if 1.5 hours SOT were the norm :D

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

What? I'm honestly curious how or why it isn't important to you.

It seems like battery life has improved across all phones since I bought my Maxx so it might be less of a concern, but it's still really important to me.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
http://www.phonearena.com/news/New-version-of-the-Nexus-6P-hits-Geekbench-with-Snapdragon-820-4GB-RAM-and-Android-N_id80593

A nexus 6p w/ a snapdragon 820 was just benchmarked

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

What? I'm honestly curious how or why it isn't important to you.

It seems like battery life has improved across all phones since I bought my Maxx so it might be less of a concern, but it's still really important to me.

I can't answer for him but for me I don't give a poo poo about battery life at all. I have Qi chargers everywhere I am (multiple places at home, at the office) so my phone just sits on those all day long. I usually interact with my phone via my Moto 360/2 or Join on my Mac so I seldom pick up the phone unless I'm out and about and even then I'm not an antisocial rear end in a top hat who fiddles with his phone in public. I've never even been in a position where my Nexus 5 with a dying battery has not gotten me through a day.

Even if that weren't the case, with Quick Charge you're only ten minutes away from an 80% full battery so why would battery life ever be a concern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
2 related questions.

1)My Droid Turbo went into the drink and it looks like its not recoverable (screen is shot although I believe the phone actually "works"). Is there any way to factory reset it via USB?

2) I was on the Verizon Edge plan with it and it looks like it is going to be cheaper to pay it off and upgrade it rather use the insurance route. I most likely will get get the S7 Edge (I'm open to being talked out of this by the way if you care to do so) and I'm wondering what the case du jour is in the thread?