Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Tallgeese posted:

No. It's done by character.
Well kudos to that level 15-ish dude who managed to pick up a Havel's then I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Is there a list anywhere of corpses that appear after you do a certain thing (that thing usually being killing something)? Like the corpse with Havel's armor that spawns near the Stray Demon after you kill Havel in Archdragon Peak.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jerusalem posted:

Ahh okay, that makes some sense then. I just saw blue and went:

http://i.imgur.com/lV7wt83.gifv

Hey Jerusalem since you're here do you still have that gif of the TNA monster fan

Been looking for it

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well kudos to that level 15-ish dude who managed to pick up a Havel's then I guess.

Nothing stopping people from using passwords to mule items, if I recall.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I almost never do any PVP so somebody explain what I'm sure is obvious to everybody else please - I was in the swampy area in the Road of Sacrifice and took an ember in order to get "invaded" by one of the NPCs - Yellowfinger. As we were fighting, I was invaded by another person but when they showed up they were blue. I was under the impression the blue guys were the "good guys" who help you out, and indeed the guy attacked Yellowfinger as well. After Yellowfinger died I went to use a bow gesture to show my appreciation when the guy just went apeshit on me and killed me, then bowed and returned to his own world.

So does it just not matter what color they are, if they enter your world they can (and will) kill you? In which case, what is the point of being blue or red?

dark blue is friendly

light blue/blue+red is area type defender like bellbros or forest fuckers and you should kill them on sight

in fact just start swinging wildly at all phantoms on sight

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Aren't Darkmoon bright blue?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

My guess is either 1) it's some crazy dude doing a low-SL playthrough and legit got it or 2) he muled it/got it from a friend using the password thing. Most likely the latter.

No idea how he's equipped that stuff at SL15 though because it's mad heavy.

Speaking of muling, my SL25 guy (PC) has two extra dark swords if anyone wants one and is really opposed to farming for one for some reason. I have no idea how the password thing works but if someone wants one and can explain to me how to do it you can have one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Melanion posted:

The fun part about the Consumed King's Garden is

that's it's literally thirty seconds long

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Harrow posted:

I can't bring myself to care about the Dark Souls 3 bonfire placement thing because, for the most part, it affects absolutely nothing about the level design or gameplay. Any time there are two bonfires super close together, it's entirely inconsequential. This is DS3's version of the Earthen Peak elevator, isn't it?

(Actually I'm kinda pissed off about the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire being as close to the Distant Manor one as it is, because it's very possible to light it before you meet Siegward in the Irithyll kitchen and permanently gently caress up his quest and probably Greirat's too :v:)

Finding a bonfire and opening shortcuts to that bonfire felt rewarding in DS1. The plentiful bonfires and warping from the start in DS3 make most of the shortcuts you find pointless. Bloodborne also has warping, but the area design works because there are so few lamps--one at the start of an area, one at the midpoint in some endgame areas, and one after defeating a boss. Despite Central Yharnam's size, it has a single lamp until you beat an optional boss.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I have pvped a lot with a great club and a morning star and a bit with a winged knight halberd and I am going to make up a pickaxe next and this person seems to be telling the truth and not all the people who talk about how powerful straight swords are.

Straight swords are rediculously high payoff for the effort it takes to spam them but the more I play the less I'm finding them to be an issue. They get outranged by a lot of stuff and are easy to parry, though they totally murder any slower weapon without a significant reach and/or damage advantage.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fereydun posted:

dark blue is friendly

light blue/blue+red is area type defender like bellbros or forest fuckers and you should kill them on sight

in fact just start swinging wildly at all phantoms on sight
Not a bad plan since there's no friendly fire on helpful summons :v:

e: On the Havel guy he was 2 handing it and smashing me over the head with it, so possible at lower levels if you started with warrior and only put points into STR. Another guy had a big fat sunbro with what looked like a coiled sword that also wrecked my poo poo. I'm no quality PvPer but I guess I'll have to get shackles the old fashioned way - invading instead of helping.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 27, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Straight swords are rediculously high payoff for the effort it takes to spam them but the more I play the less I'm finding them to be an issue. They get outranged by a lot of stuff and are easy to parry, though they totally murder any slower weapon without a significant reach and/or damage advantage.

this is why i've started offhanding a lucrene

though i did get parried on my offhand swing once and drat does that makes me wanna carry a parrying shield instead

well, that and the spinny sword abyss watcher guys because i want to see what they do when they get parried on the one attack they do over and over

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 27, 2016

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of want to figure out how to Git Gud (tm) with the Dragonslayer Greataxe because that Distortion dude did a run with it and one-shot the Crystal Sage and it was hilarious.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RabidWeasel posted:

I got my one and only piece of hatemail from someone because I used the dark sword against them and took a sippy. They spent so long spamming the clap emote when out of my reach a giant crab snuck up on them. :v:

Replying "git gud" to everything he sent me just seemed to make the situation worse.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Dark Souls 1 is a great game and I'm enjoying my bow only playthrough, but christ the lighting engine and frame drops in blighttown totally kill that region for me. I'm one of those wierd people who don't even mind the swamp or the poison, since it's just another kind of puzzle the game inflicts on you. Also, Blighttown with no melee weapon is terrifying because you have to backpedal as you kill enemies on those rickety platforms.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah dark swords and their ilk I've been beating pretty handily by running around in circles before diving in, whomping a dude in the face, and rolling out.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Is there a point to armor in pvp? I just go in naked seeing as a bunny fart will stagger you.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

e: On the Havel guy he was 2 handing it and smashing me over the head with it, so possible at lower levels if you started with warrior and only put points into STR. Another guy had a big fat sunbro with what looked like a coiled sword that also wrecked my poo poo. I'm no quality PvPer but I guess I'll have to get shackles the old fashioned way - invading instead of helping.
The coiled sword is the soul transmute from the final boss, which just reaffirms the fact that he was probably muling.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Microwaves Mom posted:

Is there a point to armor in pvp? I just go in naked seeing as a bunny fart will stagger you.

Please do not question 20 years of game design history, and respect our culture.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Genocyber posted:

Is there a list anywhere of corpses that appear after you do a certain thing (that thing usually being killing something)? Like the corpse with Havel's armor that spawns near the Stray Demon after you kill Havel in Archdragon Peak.

wwwwwwwwwwut? How would....how would someone make that connection?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Microwaves Mom posted:

I wear armor so that it hurts less when I get hit

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Lotish posted:

The smelter demon is a guy's attempt to make an iron dragon and the bridge demon stands on two legs like smelter and Havel hates dragons so there you go.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
http://plays.tv/video/572141c248ca0c8706/suddenly-appreciate-being-able-two-hand-your-shield-from-left-hand-in-dark-souls-3

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

The Rokstar posted:

I kind of want to figure out how to Git Gud (tm) with the Dragonslayer Greataxe because that Distortion dude did a run with it and one-shot the Crystal Sage and it was hilarious.
The weapon skill on it is pretty amazing

Probably been mentioned plenty before but if you have even 1 FP you get the full effect from weapon skills - which means that if your blue bar is completely empty and you switch to a Simple-infused buckler or something, you can immediately drop another Dragonslayer Superslam or whatever other expensive weapon skill you want to use. Repeat as needed.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Lotish posted:

I made it by missing the Stray Demon area the first time through the swamp, then coming back at the end of the game looking everywhere in the general area for Hawkwood because I didn't know that the mausoleum in his note referred to the Abyss Watchers bonfire. Outside of stumbling across it entirely by accident, it's just another From thing where you essentially have to already know it's there.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Just started using the Gotthards, I don't really care for the delay on the stab for the second L1, it feels like I leave my self open with it.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

StringOfLetters posted:

I think the Nameless King guy is the original Warrior of Sunlight. We know that the WoS guy did something to get thoroughly disowned by Gwyn, have his image and his name stricken from history. Nameless King is into the 'path of the dragon' stuff, and Gwyn's shtick is that he loves slaying dragons, established all of the dragon-slaying knights, and loving hates dragons. The WoS altar has a broken spear that looks a lot like Ornstein's, and is fairly similar to NK's sword-spear thing. Nameless King chucks gold-tinted lightning spears. And he's really shockingly powerful for somebody who is never mentioned elsewhere.

edit: okay I guess that was pretty obvious.

Dark Souls lore draws from Shinto mythology. Gwyn is similar to Izanagi, who gave birth to a goddess of sunlight, a god of the moon, and a god of storms who was kicked out of Heaven for his reckless behavior. This mythology is also where cutting off tails to get weapons came from--the god of storms cut the tail off a dragon and got a magic sword from it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lotish posted:

Stray demon soul gives you Havel's ring..i guess

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Rokstar posted:

The coiled sword is the soul transmute from the final boss, which just reaffirms the fact that he was probably muling.
What an rear end in a top hat :mad:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Rokstar posted:

i use this in ng+ except on parrying bosses like champ and pontiff

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Am I an rear end in a top hat if I mule a lovely gimmick build like dual Avelyns with Exploding Bolts even though you run out of bolts in like 2 invasions and have to spend another 10 minutes muling more.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Well, I killed the Deacons, searched the Firekeep tower, and Patches still never showed up.
Am I hosed out of doing Siegward's quest?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Well here's a dumb question: does your weapon upgrade tier for PvP carry across characters? Because I started a new guy and have been trying to helpful purple phantom but I keep getting summoned by people with all sorts of hosed up weapons who then proceed to wreck me. One dude was 2h a Havel's shield and some others have stuff they really shouldn't have by Undead Settlement.

It's possible they just beat the game at low sl and got everything. Easier than ever and everyone knows how to speedrun by now.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

Well, I killed the Deacons, searched the Firekeep tower, and Patches still never showed up.
Am I hosed out of doing Siegward's quest?

I don't think so. During NG, I never saw Patches until he showed up in Firelink apologizing for something. I then bought the armor from him and gave it back to Sieg.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to respec. What do I miss out on if I fail the Sirris questline after I get the armor and shield?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Toady posted:

Dark Souls lore draws from Shinto mythology. Gwyn is similar to Izanagi, who gave birth to a goddess of sunlight, a god of the moon, and a god of storms who was kicked out of Heaven for his reckless behavior. This mythology is also where cutting off tails to get weapons came from--the god of storms cut the tail off a dragon and got a magic sword from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_mythology posted:

Our age (Nahui-Ollin), the fifth age, or fifth creation, began in the ancient city of Teotihuacan[citation needed]. According to the myth, all the gods had gathered to sacrifice themselves and create a new age. Although the world and the sun had already been created, it would only be through their sacrifice that the sun would be set into motion and time as well as history could begin. The handsomest and strongest of the gods, Tecuciztecatl, was supposed to sacrifice himself but when it came time to self-immolate, he could not jump into the fire. Instead, Nanahuatl the smallest and humblest of the gods, who was also covered in boils, sacrificed himself first and jumped into the flames.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but the sense I get is that Dark Souls has some pretty diverse influences.

The whole Chosen Undead / Unkindled narrative is strikingly similar to Severian in The Book of the New Sun, too, especially once you get into all the (spoilers for DS3 and BotNS) time travel fuckery.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So is there a way to inflict toxic on enemies? It's listed as a resistance or immunity for most bosses on the wiki but I've never seen Toxic on either side other than the short swamp before whichever boss was forgettable enough that I don't remember fighting him a couple days ago.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Microwaves Mom posted:

Equipping helm, legs, and feet give you a 10% befense bonus each and torso gives 20% so yeah it's worth it even if it's something light/goofy

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah even wearing the face wrap from farron and the master's gear and the loincloth is bajillions of times better than nothing at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
You guys weren't kidding about sorcery being trash. Got 35 int and 20 fth and even soul spear is hitting for like 150 with a +6 heretic staff. Not to mention the spell needs me to take a few minutes to complete a crossword puzzle before it casts.