Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lotish posted:

What is the one bad Nintendo game?

Urban Champion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lotish posted:

Other M. Any other 'bad' Nintendo game by my count is either disappointing but still alright on its own terms (Super Paper Mario) or only nominally a Nintendo game (Star Fox Adventures is an entirely unrelated Rare game with a Star Fox coat of paint), but Other M is inexcusible.

It's entirely possible I'm forgetting something, particularly from the NES era, but that's where I'm coming from.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lotish posted:

Metroid Other M, Spirit Tracks, Twilight Princess, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Wario World, Skyward Sword...

No one will agree.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RareAcumen posted:

It's high average.

No you're thinking of Pokémon. Which is also merely average at best.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who What Now posted:

No you're thinking of Pokémon. Which is also merely average at best.

Really, all of Nintendo's games are average but they're consistent. And they only tend to get worse the more they wanna be wacky and have you play hand tetris to make your character fight or whatever.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Please post your favorite things in games, tia.

Mine is that you can have a dinosaur on your farm in Stardew Valley if you find a dinosaur egg artifact and put it in an incubator.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

Other M. Any other 'bad' Nintendo game by my count is either disappointing but still alright on its own terms (Super Paper Mario) or only nominally a Nintendo game (Star Fox Adventures is an entirely unrelated Rare game with a Star Fox coat of paint), but Other M is inexcusible.

It's entirely possible I'm forgetting something, particularly from the NES era, but that's where I'm coming from.

This is some hilarious hoop jumping to justify a company's lovely outings.

But yea not sure where this derail come so on to favorite things, one thing I sort of enjoy sometimes is horrendously lovely physics and boy does Destiny have those in abundance, case in point is a particular enemy called a Phalanx of one of the factions, this enemy tends to hit you with their shield when they come close, for reasons that nobody can really explain these enemies to completely destroy the games physics and cause poo poo like this to happen.

I have another one of a human player punching me into orbit and getting me killed via impact damage so while Phalaxes will be the main cause of retarded deaths like this, it seems to be a problem with the game itself.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Alteisen posted:

I have another one of a human player punching me into orbit and getting me killed via impact damage so while Phalaxes will be the main cause of retarded deaths like this, it seems to be a problem with the game itself.

Yeah I'd say a good 50% of my deaths in that game was "Misadventure" or "the Architects" which, from what I understand, is basically "we don't loving know what killed you."

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Space Station 13 is the gift that keeps on giving. There have been a couple of pages of people's favorite bugs.

Space Lube is a lubricant that makes the floor slippery and apparently accelerates you as you slip over multiple tiles

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Space lube slip and slide from Mushroom arrivals almost down to the bridge, hit a portal, return to the start with velocity maintained. Once a few people were rocketing through it infinitely at near light speed, the server got very mad.

Bloody Pom posted:

Reminds me of the graviton accelerator infinite loop I set up on Cogmap1. People sailing back and forth down the southern hallway at relativistic speeds until something obstructs and violently gibs them.

DWAINE is the on-board terminal/mainframe system

cock hero flux posted:

The best server crash is still the one where the guy managed to crash DWAINE by writing a bad program in it and this spilled over and also crashed the actual server

he was basically Neo

Code is not optimized

Natalya Fartz posted:

Didn't someone delete all the air on the server leading to a crash?

Johnny Joestar posted:

my only claim to fame is that i once grew so much weed that it basically almost crashed anyone who right-clicked on the pile and so i got named the WEEDLORD and my high rear end got dragged to the shuttle along with multiple crates of weed at the end

Sometimes, a typo in code can lead to hilarious results

Haine posted:

pnutz posted:

Nakar posted:

[quote="Spy_Guy" post="459208445"]
[quote="magic mountain" post="459204124"]
I'm pretty fond of the time a typo caused the refrigerators to recursively fill themselves with chicken nuggets so the entire game would immediately hang as it started. I like to imagine the universe slowly dying as endless frozen chicken nuggets pour out of every freezer in creation.

Actually, only 5% of the freezers! :eng101:
This is why it took so long to hunt down the bug. :negative:

I still remember the exact point at which someone isolated the bug and told us it was chicken nuggets. We were only like half surprised, that's what this game does to you.

it was spawning them in via a for loop that counted the wrong way wasn't it?
[/quote]

Yep.

for (var/i = rand(2,10), i > 0, i--)
vs
for (var/i = rand(2,10), i > 0, i++)

Two characters was all the difference between the server starting normally, and the server grinding to a halt 9 times out of 10 as the couple fridges around the map frantically spawned nuggets over and over, everything else stopped because all the server knew to do was KEEP SPAWNING NUGGETS. I think when one of the hosts finally figured out what was going on there were tens of thousands of nuggets in those fridges only a couple minutes after the server restarted.

This was also entirely my fault, I am the nugget criminal.
[/quote]

Turns out reusing code by copying and pasting rather than using classes and assigning objects to that class is a bad idea

Haine posted:

There were (probably still are) a lot of instances of someone needing code that already existed somewhere else, so they just copy and pasted the code in the new place and maybe changed one line or something.

This is why for a short time wizards - only in mixed mode - would spawn, barf out all their internal organs and die instantly.
"oh I need to unequip everything from these people that will become wizards, should I just use the unequip_all() proc that already exists??? naaaah I need their stuff deleted, which is not a thing I can just add to unequip_all(), I'll just copy and paste the code from unequip_all() into the proc that spawns the wizards!! this will never backfire ever and someone in the future certainly won't hate me for doing this" - probably hitler

And this one needs no comments

cock hero flux posted:

Zamujasa posted:

Name length limits (or the lack thereof) have always been comedy. I vaguely recall a time when the botany seed splicer could name seeds, and someone managed to name a seed the either the entirety of the Bee Movie script or the first chapter of Harry Potter or something.

Or the time someone managed to sneak in an autoplaying YouTube embed :stare:

That was actually incredible, they successfully managed to figure out that you could fully use HTML by writing on the printouts from the Electronics printer, I think. Everyone was really fortunate that the person who found this just used it to rickroll people and then told the coders about it because I'm pretty sure you could have done some really nasty poo poo with that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Yeah I'd say a good 50% of my deaths in that game was "Misadventure" or "the Architects" which, from what I understand, is basically "we don't loving know what killed you."

My theory is that in the moment of impact you might be clipping through the ground in some way and the game just launches you instead.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The chicken nuggets story reminds me of a similar one from Ultima Online, The Running of the Slimes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alteisen posted:

This has been happening to me a lot in PVP recently because I am one of those sad morons who tries to use defender in PVP. I throw up the bubble, someone runs into the bubble and suddenly I'm flying through space and explode on impact with a wall. Someone, somewhere has figured out how to do this and they're not sharing the secret.

As for favorite little things, the aforementioned defender class has a grenade called "Suppression Grenades" which leave little fart clouds that disable skills and more importantly, double jumps and super moves. Throw one at the edge of a pit and watch people fall to their death as people's double jumps don't kick in. When someone's using their super, throw it and watch them whiff but not realize it and start charging out expecting to zap everyone with electricity and just get shot to death in seconds. It's almost worth the other dozens of death for every one time I manage to pull this off.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lotish posted:

Wii Music, for sure.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wasn't there something where you could make infinitely recursive sandwiches and end up crushing the server with like, a Ham Chicken Ham Peanut Butter Chicken Cheese Ham and Cheese Ham Chicken etc. x30,000 Sandwich?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Mister Adequate posted:

Wasn't there something where you could make infinitely recursive sandwiches and end up crushing the server with like, a Ham Chicken Ham Peanut Butter Chicken Cheese Ham and Cheese Ham Chicken etc. x30,000 Sandwich?

Fractal cooking.

Edit: It still exists, in some form, at least as of 2 months ago.

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Apr 29, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I love with Dark Souls 3 is the openness. I'm able to forget the boss I'm currently stuck on (Still at the Abyss Watchers, that fight seems super luck based sometimes but I'm getting better) and take a break from it to go play around in the Cathedral of the Deep. Also I love the Bloodloss status effect although (ok, because :P) the leeches are gross.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

One thing I love with Dark Souls 3 is the openness. I'm able to forget the boss I'm currently stuck on (Still at the Abyss Watchers, that fight seems super luck based sometimes but I'm getting better) and take a break from it to go play around in the Cathedral of the Deep. Also I love the Bloodloss status effect although (ok, because :P) the leeches are gross.

Keep the torch in an offhand slot, switch to it when covered in maggots/leeches.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mister Adequate posted:

I fondly remember fighting with a friend about whether the Farsight XR-20 should be banned or not. We eventually compromised that we would allow it for occasional Maximum Bullshit matches only. My win rate decreased precipitously after this :( Also I liked the Callisto NTG a lot, because secondary fire would just shoot through most obstacles like a door or something, so you could pop fools before they can actually fire back at you.

Looking back at it I must have been a real prick to play against.

The MagSec wasn't a special pistol really, but drat did they do a good job of making that thing feel powerful. Walking around with one was like being Dirty Harry or some poo poo.

I liked using pistols only and using the adaptive slow-mo to turn the game into The Matrix. Perfect Dark is so good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just thought I'd let y'all know that I've finally beaten those loving Abyss Walkers. Got the spellsword up to plus 4 and 32 Dex before I finally managed it :P Thanks for the tip about the leeches as well, I'll keep a torch handy for the graveyard stuff.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You know what forget awesome gameplay anecdotes or whatever about Shadow of Mordor, it has an option to put a battery indicator on the UI. I haven't seen this anywhere else and it is a godsend to be able to tell when to take my laptop off charge without having to remember to all tab out to check and get advance warning for when my battery is getting low before Windows throws it's own ugly, mouse-capturing warning message in my way.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

AlphaKretin posted:

You know what forget awesome gameplay anecdotes or whatever about Shadow of Mordor, it has an option to put a battery indicator on the UI. I haven't seen this anywhere else and it is a godsend to be able to tell when to take my laptop off charge without having to remember to all tab out to check and get advance warning for when my battery is getting low before Windows throws it's own ugly, mouse-capturing warning message in my way.

First Crysis has that too, also Steam overlay.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'll cop that I haven't played Crysis but the Steam overlay doesn't tell you the percentage nor exist when charging. If it was significant I wouldn't be posting it here. :v:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Cleretic posted:

No true scotsman children's videogame developer

Alteisen posted:

The best part of destiny is if you slam people into walls with your sparrow or better yet those powerful vehicles on the Mars strike you have a chance to fling them super high into the air and kill them of fall damage or of just crushing them outright. Teamwork B)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

ArtIsResistance posted:

No true scotsman children's videogame developer

No, it's definitely Metroid: Other M. Some Nintendo games haven't been that great, but Other M was driven right into the ground by Sakamoto forcing bad idea after bad idea on Team Ninja (Wiimote-only controls, Samus' stilted dialogue even in English, etc, etc :can:).

Mister Adequate posted:

There was also the Crash Pie, which was so recursive that when it was thrown at someone they would get disconnected from the server due to their client making GBS threads the bed trying to process the name of it when the Pie struck them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I do recall an exploit a player would do is carry a sandwich with a very long name and they would wear a blind fold then do something that will make the sandwich's name appear which would lag out everyone who saw it. So they would walk into a room, put on the blindfold, smack the sandwich against a window then murder everyone who is currently frozen

E: In SS134

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

As we're on SS13 again at the moment, here's a good one from the SS13 thread just now

PopeCrunch posted:

Today I discovered that if you hand a monkey a Russian revolver and give it a smack in the teeth to get it good and pissed off, it will shriek at you and then blow its brains out in a fit of rage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The shortcuts in Dark Souls 3 can be very cathartic. I was running through the start of the Cathedral of the Deep this morning, ran through the graveyard and opened a ladder, which was nice but nothing special. Then I kept moving, past a large number of ambushes on the roof, and got inside the Cathedral itself with the invincible giant in the first big room, and after a small room with a few new enemies I found an elevator, that led back to the start of the entire path, through the first set of double doors at the small cathedral's bonfire. That's a half hour journey cut out now. BTW, does the Tower Knight with all the miracles at the bottom of the staircases respawn or am I safe from that bastard now I've killed him?

Edit: Also during the run to the aforementioned ladder, the enemies started randomly dying, as great arrows were coming from somewhere again. When I looked in that direction I saw the tower where the Giant Friend lives in the Undead Settlement. Even on the other side of the map he's still looking after me :3: I love that kind of interconnectedness.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Apr 30, 2016

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

The shortcuts in Dark Souls 3 can be very cathartic. I was running through the start of the Cathedral of the Deep this morning, ran through the graveyard and opened a ladder, which was nice but nothing special. Then I kept moving, past a large number of ambushes on the roof, and got inside the Cathedral itself with the invincible giant in the first big room, and after a small room with a few new enemies I found an elevator, that led back to the start of the entire path, through the first set of double doors at the small cathedral's bonfire. That's a half hour journey cut out now. BTW, does the Tower Knight with all the miracles at the bottom of the staircases respawn or am I safe from that bastard now I've killed him?

Edit: Also during the run to the aforementioned ladder, the enemies started randomly dying, as great arrows were coming from somewhere again. When I looked in that direction I saw the tower where the Giant Friend lives in the Undead Settlement. Even on the other side of the map he's still looking after me :3: I love that kind of interconnectedness.

He's not invincible :D

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

He's not invincible :D

Really? I shot him with large arrows from a relatively close by ledge and it didn't even bring up a health bar that I could see. If I can kill him that cool.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Really? I shot him with large arrows from a relatively close by ledge and it didn't even bring up a health bar that I could see. If I can kill him that cool.

They're actually surprisingly easy to dodge from the ground, just keep stabbing their feet and they'll die eventually.

Thing I like about dark souls 3: You can actually kill the big rear end enemies blocking your way instead of always having to sprint past them

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I think his health bar appears over his head, it is annoying as poo poo to find. Just keep whacking until he falls over and try not to die on the way down.

This bastards curse was cleansed alright :smith:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Not safe! Also another fun tip: the thick sludge at the bottom of the cathedral seems to negate fall damage so a short cut to the bottom is a seemingly suicidal drop.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got to the Swarm of Clerics fight. Not too hard until the second phase with the main guy. I think I'll try Iron Fleshing and just wading the gently caress in when he spawns because I kill large arcs of them at once, they have low health and no poise and I can keep a ton of Estus on hand. Just don't want to give him the chance to use his really mean Dark or Curse spells, or however he seems to be healing. I'm just glad I can basically ignore the encounter just before. 2 Pyromancers, One Cathedral Knight and One Black Knight? gently caress that. I can easily just run past. Also I've found the shortcut just on the other side of that encounter. The second giant can wait until I have better spells because he is surrounded by slowdown sludge and a million slimes. I'm gonna wait for exploding fireball, thankyouverymuch.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Apr 30, 2016

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Another favourite little thing about DS3 (catacombs spoiler):
You don't actually kill Wolnir yourself.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got to the Swarm of Clerics fight. Not too hard until the second phase with the main guy. I think I'll try Iron Fleshing and just wading the gently caress in when he spawns because I kill large arcs of them at once, they have low health and no poise and I can keep a ton of Estus on hand. Just don't want to give him the chance to use his really mean Dark or Curse spells, or however he seems to be healing. I'm just glad I can basically ignore the encounter just before. 2 Pyromancers, One Cathedral Knight and One Black Knight? gently caress that. I can easily just run past. Also I've found the shortcut just on the other side of that encounter. The second giant can wait until I have better spells because he is surrounded by slowdown sludge and a million slimes. I'm gonna wait for exploding fireball, thankyouverymuch.
Second giant is also super easy, just go for it. Best of success with Congregation But Not A Huge Joke!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sad lions posted:

Another favourite little thing about DS3 (catacombs spoiler):
You don't actually kill Wolnir yourself.
hm?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If I understand right Wolnir is deathly afraid of the Abyss despite appearances. His sword hints at this. By breaking his bracelets, you break the anchors that kept him from slipping wholly into oblivion. The abyss kills him, if anything does.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Apr 30, 2016

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

AlphaKretin posted:

I'll cop that I haven't played Crysis but the Steam overlay doesn't tell you the percentage nor exist when charging. If it was significant I wouldn't be posting it here. :v:
Found a pic

Apparently also GRID 2, Football Manager, World In Conflict, Tom Clancy's HAWX and some Blizzard games have it too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

If I understand right Wolnir is deathly afraid of the Abyss despite appearances. His sword hints at this. By breaking his bracelets, you break the anchors that kept him from slipping wholly into oblivion. The abyss kills him, if anything does.

Yeah, his death animation reflects that. He's not reeling in pain, he's [i]being dragged back into the abyss. There's a solid argument to be made that he's not fighting you, just occasionally hitting something nearby in his desperate scrabble to escape what's chasing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, his death animation reflects that. He's not reeling in pain, he's [i]being dragged back into the abyss. There's a solid argument to be made that he's not fighting you, just occasionally hitting something nearby in his desperate scrabble to escape what's chasing him.

I love Dark Souls and all the hidden-ish story stuff, but I think that last part is a bit of a stretch.

Why would he pull out a sword and wave it around if that was the case.

I think the climbing he does is more thematic than literal.