Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It would be fine if From could just stop trying to do anticheat. They suck at it, and cause more problems than if they hadn't bothered.

I already know how to stop most of this stuff dead, and it's not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I feel like at least like, 25% of the bloodstain phantoms I find are wearing the Xanthous Crown. I don't have anything against it (although it's not nearly as cool as the one in Dark Souls 1), but I'm wondering if it's some sort of glitch, since I don't remember seeing much of anyone wearing it in the first game.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Between the server errors in DS1, the degrade glitch in DS2, and now this in DS3 I do not understand why people get the PC version

Do you really need 60 FPS that bad

The multiplayer is probably nicer but I don't want to buy another game box just to play Dark Souls online.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah half-assed anti-cheat/anti-piracy is almost 100% of the time worse than none at all

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Babe Magnet posted:

you're right I should feel pity on the poor mages and their weapon buffs and farron darts that do more than my punches do, come out faster, stagger, hit at range, and use comparatively less FP than I use doing my weapon art, especially since they're forced to duel other people against their own will without any knowledge of how to actually manage the spells they've been using all the way to soul level 60

also, I do let mages use blue sippies, I do it all the time, because I do now how hard it could be, even if I didn't know about not being able to spell at 1 FP (because I don't like using magic in souls games). I guess I haven't said it enough but I only really go sip-for-sip when the other players M.O. is clearly draggign a fight out with a war of attrition. I'm giving them what they want lol

Farron Dart does like 18 damage with a +3 staff and 30 Int

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm guessing it's all still based on whatever they were using since Demon's or Dark Souls, and trusts absolutely everything from they client because they figured it was only going to run on the PS3?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Things of note for the bonewheel shield:

I'm not far enough in to test the more exotic infusions but the only one that doesn't drastically reduce the damage so far is heavy.
Special attack takes up all your stamina no matter how much you have and only hits four times.
Pontiff eye rings don't work with it.
Hits hard enough to stagger all of the bigger enemies. Except bosses.
Damage output is pretty bad.

Why did DS3 have to take away my favorite play style? :smith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Farron Dart does like 18 damage with a +3 staff and 30 Int

lmao seriously, jesus christ From

I feel like they should be at least a little better than throwing knives but apparently that's too much to ask

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

The multiplayer is probably nicer but I don't want to buy another game box just to play Dark Souls online.

Look at the bright side, you can play Bloodborne too!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao seriously, jesus christ From

I feel like they should be at least a little better than throwing knives but apparently that's too much to ask

Yeah, I should post a shadowplay of how bad magic is. Hell I'd pay money to know how to do decent magic before level 70, because I feel like there's some secret to it, magic should not cost this much, or be this bad.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If the crappy anticheat didn't exist, Watchdog would be out already and none of this crap would be a discussion right now. I guarantee it.

Of course, a big part of the problem is the Cheat Engine forum. They ostensibly say "no online hacks allowed", yet the first post table has stuff in it that shows the data of phantoms, like their stats. What the hell do they think that is for?!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'm guessing it's all still based on whatever they were using since Demon's or Dark Souls, and trusts absolutely everything from they client because they figured it was only going to run on the PS3?

A lot of data structures are practically copy-pasted from DS1, with extra DS3 stuff bolted on.

DS2 didn't do this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I want to believe From giving zero shits about PC is why the Steam version released six hours early

They just didn't bother to check

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just found a new corpse of an old friend from Dark Souls. Demon Ruins has a Quelana Pyromancy Tome set in the corpse of a giant spider body. Hmmmmmm! I didn't even know this was here, it's awesome.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

From not giving a poo poo is probably why their biggest audience ended up getting the game two weeks later than everyone else

I assume we're their biggest audience we might not be I don't care I'm still salty about that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we got it late because they wanted the western release to coincide with the pc version, because japan doesn't care about pc games

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

From not giving a poo poo is probably why their biggest audience ended up getting the game two weeks later than everyone else

I assume we're their biggest audience we might not be I don't care I'm still salty about that

Managing to go spoiler free during those two weeks is my proudest internet achievement of all time

I decided to go super cold turkey on any preview to DS3 and it was awesome. I remember the first time I got Gundyr to half-health and I was like "WHAT IS THAT"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

we got it late because they wanted the western release to coincide with the pc version, because japan doesn't care about pc games

Other things I wish Japan gave a poo poo about - console ports of JRPGs

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
If I murder eygon for his stick in the undead settlement, does that mess with Irina's quest/s at all? I'm guessing the dark spell one wouldn't trigger

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I just found a new corpse of an old friend from Dark Souls. Demon Ruins has a Quelana Pyromancy Tome set in the corpse of a giant spider body. Hmmmmmm! I didn't even know this was here, it's awesome.

I just picked that up today myself. There was a message next to it "Visions of loyalty" :smith:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Managing to go spoiler free during those two weeks is my proudest internet achievement of all time

I decided to go super cold turkey on any preview to DS3 and it was awesome. I remember the first time I got Gundyr to half-health and I was like "WHAT IS THAT"

I couldn't help myself and read about how "a snake head pops out" and I figured his head was just going to come off and get replaced by one of those things in Sen's Fortress from Dark Souls 1. It very much did not. :gonk:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Almost, but you missed a bit more! The book didn't come from the spider's corpse. It was on the body of a human that was huddled up next to it, probably Quelana herself.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Flubby posted:

So about the lore and Aldrich, heavy spoilers obviously: So Aldrich and Smough are one in the same, is that right? It cant all be coincidence can it? What I remember about Smough is that he was rejected from becoming a knight because he ate people. Aldrich also eats people. When you go looking for Aldrich you learn he went back to his true home, and that ends up being Anor Londo. Not just Anor Londo, the same room as the Ornstein and Smough fight. Also you meet Ornstein again in Dark Souls 2, suggesting he and Smough, much like the sun and Gwynevere, were just illusions of a past greatness kept up by Gwyndolin. Also, when you beat Aldrich, like most the bosses, his armor shows up at the merchant, and it's Smough's armor. OK, so let me see if I got it all straight. Smough and Ornstein leave Anor Londo and go their separate ways. Ornstein heads to his home country, and Smough moves on down to Illythil and became a saint. Also he kept eating people and gods until he became a blob? And that includes Gwyndolin? Does that sound right or is Aldrich someone completely different?

The only thing I can think of to contradict this is that Hawkwood says that Aldrich used to be a cleric, rather than a warrior. Also I'm not sure that Smough was an illusion the same way Ornstein was in DS1, which would retroactively explain the way he callously smashes the corpse with a hammer to absorb its power during the bossfight.

If Smough was Aldrich, then he must have left eventually, since Hawkwood also says that he ate enough people to become a sludge monster, and then he was moved to the Cathedral of the Deep. At some point he was "made" into a Lord of Cinder ("not for virtue, but for might"). Then when the flame starts to fade he returns to Irithyll.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

I couldn't help myself and read about how "a snake head pops out" and I figured his head was just going to come off and get replaced by one of those things in Sen's Fortress from Dark Souls 1. It very much did not. :gonk:

Almost, but you missed a bit more! The book didn't come from the spider's corpse. It was on the body of a human that was huddled up next to it, probably Quelana herself.

I accidentally spoiled Anor Londo for myself and if I had a time machine I would prevent myself from being spoiled first and kill Hitler second

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I probably should've known better than to buy a Souls game on PC but apparently I don't learn :v:

Same I guess but it sure is purdy lookin'!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the dark souls 2 port was very well optimized and it is a shame that they have regressed on that front with dark souls 3

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lore question for you all:

It has been suggested that the world of DSIII is actually not a declining age of fire, but instead actually the age of dark alluded to in the lore of the first two games. The world does look distinctly different from the previous ages of fire, and it would explain why DSII says that even the age of dark has embers that can reignite into a new age of fire.

Other evidence for it is that Prince Lothric never died like the other Lords of Cinder, and speaks of watching the flame die. That could mean we are essentially in the world of someone who refused to link the fire and we finally see the consequences of that.

It also makes the betrayal ending make a little more sense. We are notcreating yet another age of dark like before, but creating an age of true dark in which the fire is permanently ended

thoughts?

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 30, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You'd think one day I'd learn that spear-thrust grab attacks don't let you iframe through them. Ornstein should've taught me that ages ago but nope, I'll keep trying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I want to believe From giving zero shits about PC is why the Steam version released six hours early

They just didn't bother to check

It didn't.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Harrow posted:

You'd think one day I'd learn that spear-thrust grab attacks don't let you iframe through them. Ornstein should've taught me that ages ago but nope, I'll keep trying.

I lost to the dancer trying to I-frame her grab more times than I can remember

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dark souls lore:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

dark souls lore:

it is my firm belief that gwyn's favorite 80's rock song is fire woman by the cult

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

it is my firm belief that gwyn's favorite 80's rock song is fire woman by the cult

Its canonically something by Van Halen

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
For souls newbs like myself, this video was very helpful in explaining general terminology as well as the various softcaps and the secondary effects of stats. If you plan to PvP it also briefly discusses the level meta.

..plus I like the dude's voice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am so loving tired of fighting this dragon. I hate this so much.

The best part is that it doesn't seem to matter if I lock on or not. There's always at least one attack in this phase that involves the camera loving up and me getting stabbed in the back.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Dancers outfit, huh? Whelp, unless Yhorms set can be gotten I guess I'm never using another armor set.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Harrow posted:

Take a break. I spent 2 hours trying to beat him the first time and then did it third try the next morning.

If your reflexes are shot it's impossible

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh cool I almost beat Captain FUGS in the demon ruins on the first try-

My sword bounces off of thin air a foot from a tree root, he clips his sword through the wall entirely.

Oh right, NPC.

Feelin confident about the rematch at least.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HnK416 posted:

Dancers outfit, huh? Whelp, unless Yhorms set can be gotten I guess I'm never using another armor set.

at least its not abyss watchers

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of lore, I think it's hilarious that "Gwyn's firstborn lost the annals of history" was a mistranslation.

Like lol whoops I had the annals right here and now they're gone! sorry dad

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCnebZnysmI

edit: ok this was the 70s but listen gwyn's an old dude

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

do you mean ancient wyvern? because it's a gimmick fight. you can just kill it by drop attacking its head. this kills it in one hit tho, if you're like me and feel like killing it for real, wait on the stairs to the right of the arena and just roll into its neck when it swipes at you. the hitbox for the neck isn't very big so it's easy to get through. you can easily kill it by doing that and hitting it when it tries to breathe fire on you, since it won't actually be able to hit you with it. you just don't want to stay under it because the hitbox on the feet is bullshit and you do no damage unless you hit it in the neck/head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of lore, I think it's hilarious that "Gwyn's firstborn lost the annals of history" was a mistranslation.

Like lol whoops I had the annals right here and now they're gone! dang

And his dad's mixtape