Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Yeah I'm really liking guile so far, but I haven't seen much in terms of guides for him out yet. Looking forward to them in any case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Someone tested the anti-ragequit system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Og-putHGI4

It's useless

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

Raw s.HP is -2 on block and s.HP xx stance is -4 i believe, so that's something

I might be wrong but I think st.hp - stance switch is actually -2.

A.o.D. posted:

Meterless knockdown, and it doesn't take off your claw if you want to keep it on. Other than that, sure, go for the stance switch.

Also, if you're hit confirming into Critical art, st. HP>ASE>CA does more damage than any possible claw switch confirm into CA that doesn't involve v trigger.

That makes sense.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How many characters just flat out beat vega's buttons? Why is he even in this game?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Jack Trades posted:

If they try to do a very close range cross-up on you, you can walk forward (so that the cross-up misses) and hit them with a st.lp.

Thank you! I was having problems with ppl just trying their confirm hit combo and if I blocked, just jumping over and doing it again. hitting them with st jab and then standing mp doesn't do alot of damage but it makes them think twice.

zooted heh fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 30, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guile is a lot of fun but my broken brain will never accept charge characters so it's back to Karin.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

How many characters just flat out beat vega's buttons? Why is he even in this game?

Is this the new "LAURA IS THE WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME"?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if they'll nerf Guile's v-trigger at all

https://twitter.com/hameko/status/726167915339206656

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Hey guys I need to get a brook converter for combo breaker. I'm looking to get a ps3 - ps4 one. They said the USB wired ones are legal and i'm looking at the list here and I just want to make sure I get the right kind.

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-ps3-ps4-to-ps3-ps4-usb-adapter/

This should be good right?

also found this one looks like it should do teh job too
https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-playstation-3-to-playstation-4-usb-adapter/

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if they'll nerf Guile's v-trigger at all

lets be honest here.

they are going to nerf loving everything about Guile

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

In Training posted:

Guile is a lot of fun but my broken brain will never accept charge characters so it's back to Karin.

:same:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Booyah- posted:

Nonsense, her matchup against zangief and Vega is outstanding.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey I bought this game earlier today and have been trying to learn Chun-Li since I guess she is good for newbies (I haven't played seriously at all since SF2). I also did some story stuff and I actually had the most fun with Karin. Is she worth trying as well or would it be frustrating?

I'm like 0-10 online but I am having fun so I guess that is a good sign.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Goetta posted:

Hey I bought this game earlier today and have been trying to learn Chun-Li since I guess she is good for newbies (I haven't played seriously at all since SF2). I also did some story stuff and I actually had the most fun with Karin. Is she worth trying as well or would it be frustrating?

You should always play the character you have the most fun with, even if they're bad (don't worry, karin is good)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

A.o.D. posted:

look hes not a charge character anymore so they had to make his buttons way worse than the already mediocre sf4 ones

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
yes, sf5 vega is bad and sf4 vegas normals were "mediocre" what the gently caress am i even reading in this garbage rear end thread.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I play together a lot and she's like completely new to fighting games and she's switching from Ryu to Ken because she loves to ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK I guess, I know there's like a billion resources about Ryu because he's the go to newbie guy, are there any good detailed videos/guides for Ken? She has the SF5god one bookmarked but like I know one guy has those 90 min character guides with everyone but there's none for Ken :(

(I think she's already seen the Momochi one too)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

yes, sf5 vega is bad and sf4 vegas normals were "mediocre" what the gently caress am i even reading in this garbage rear end thread.

just quoting this because you're wrong as gently caress and I want to keep it here for posterity.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I don't know anything about sf4 vega besides the fact that he isn't a top tier rear end in a top hat like in cvs2/st and the five people that played him bitched constantly about him

if they were actually good that makes them being sort of lame in this game b/c they made him not a charge (and capcom thinks being charge is a good excuse to just have amazing normals for no reason, see bison/guile/boxer/chun in most games) extra correct

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A.o.D. posted:

just quoting this because you're wrong as gently caress and I want to keep it here for posterity.

He's being sarcastic

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

reading your posts is embarassing

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

reading your posts is embarassing

I understand. The first step to getting better is admitting that you're not good enough.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

darealkooky posted:

if they were actually good that makes them being sort of lame in this game b/c they made him not a charge extra correct

They're lame in this game because all the buttons are garbage. His buttons overall are decent relative to the cast.

Look at Guile if you think even charge characters will get real normals.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

Hey guys I need to get a brook converter for combo breaker. I'm looking to get a ps3 - ps4 one. They said the USB wired ones are legal and i'm looking at the list here and I just want to make sure I get the right kind.

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-ps3-ps4-to-ps3-ps4-usb-adapter/

This should be good right?

also found this one looks like it should do teh job too
https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-playstation-3-to-playstation-4-usb-adapter/

Those will work! I have one for Xbone to PS4. Be sure to install tournament mode.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Goetta posted:

chun is a very good character but i wouldn't say she's especially good (or bad) for new players. karin is a very strong character if you can play footsies (the spacing game) with your opponent and avoid doing her unsafe flashy yolo stuff when your opponent is blocking.

play the characters that you have fun playing as and don't feel like you need to stick with any of them if you aren't having fun.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

They're lame in this game because all the buttons are garbage. His buttons overall are decent relative to the cast.

all characters have rear end normals, but some normals are more rear end than others.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Any advice on a dead simple decent damage guile combo to work on tonight in some matches?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I mean, "all characters have garbage buttons" aside, Vega's normals aren't great compared to the other "footsie-based" characters. I don't think they're great compared to Birdie and Alex even. Guile I couldn't tell you, I didn't dissect his poo poo, but he seems to be okay enough. St.MK is probably one of the most versatile moves in the game also.

Real hurthling! posted:

Any advice on a dead simple decent damage guile combo to work on tonight in some matches?

Anything into flash kick/sonic boom. Cr.MP, mostly. If you're doing a jump-in, st.HP, cr.MP xx Flash Kick.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Real hurthling! posted:

ez cc punish is st.hp, df+hk, flash kick

other punish combo:

st.hp, cr.mp late cancel into flash kick

otherwise just do cr.mp xx flash kick

in the corner you can do st.hp, cr.mp late cancel light boom, b+hp

e: claw is the worst character in the game

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Stand HP, cr. MP, HK Flashkick is guile's best 'normal' combo. Normal in the sense that you're not stringing 15 sonic booms in the corner.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

Stand HP, cr. MP, HK Flashkick is guile's best 'normal' combo. Normal in the sense that you're not stringing 15 sonic booms in the corner.

Great thanks everybody.

Jump ins with hk crossups with mk i assume?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Guile's late cancels are also a lot easier than Chun's BS, or at least I think they are. Anything that you can cancel into Boom you can cancel into super also.

Real hurthling! posted:

Great thanks everybody.

Jump ins with hk crossups with mk i assume?

I'd crossup with j.LK, but then you have to do cr.LK cr.LP confirms.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dias posted:

Guile's late cancels are also a lot easier than Chun's BS, or at least I think they are. Anything that you can cancel into Boom you can cancel into super also.

Yeah way easier than chun. The link between hp and cr mp is tougher than the xx kick

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Seriously loving stop using Claw on Vega. If you think Vega is bad its because you are using the claw. No claw vega has huge damage output, is plus on everything, still has good range, and the walkspeed to make all that pressure work.

Claw is for vs zangief, and finishing the match once one or two more hits will end it, that's basically it. I know the claw is supposed to be the defining thing and all but just forget he has it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dias posted:

Why would you use cr. lk in that combo? It does less damage than LP.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

Why would you use cr. lk in that combo? It does less damage than LP.

To be honest, I dunno, I figured it would be a legit low unlike most cr.LPs, so you might as well start with it, but as I said I only played Guile for a handful of matches and didn't look into his poo poo super deeply.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dias posted:

To be honest, I dunno, I figured it would be a legit low unlike most cr.LPs, so you might as well start with it, but as I said I only played Guile for a handful of matches and didn't look into his poo poo super deeply.

A few notes on that cr. low. It's not a bad tool for opening up for a quick combo, since it links into his cr. jab, but if you've already started a combo and need a confirm step, the cr. lk isn't a good choice. It's +0 on block, meaning every 3 frame move that hits crouchers shuts you down if you drop the combo, AND it does 10 less damage than a LP, anyhow. If you're confirming, just stick to the jabs.

A few more things that reading the frame data tells me: Stand MP is an INCREDIBLY short ranged move, but it has 3 frames of block advantage, and Guile's cr. MP has a 6 frame startup, which means it beats out all 3 frame normals. Unfortunately, all you're likely to get out of it is a sonic boom, but it's still a solid medium punch frame trap on a non-rushdown character, so that's pretty drat good.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 1, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nothing more embarrassing than blowing a charge and getting jump.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

A few notes on that cr. low. It's not a bad tool for opening up for a quick combo, since it links into his cr. jab, but if you've already started a combo and need a confirm step, the cr. lk isn't a good choice. It's +0 on block, meaning every 3 frame move that hits crouchers shuts you down if you drop the combo, AND it does 10 less damage than a LP, anyhow. If you're confirming, just stick to the jabs.

You're not wrong, it's just that confirming straight out of a j.LK isn't really feasible and punishing a cr.LK into cr.LP is also not the easiest thing, so I kinda like going for the low just in case you were too slow to crouch block after the jump-in. Cr.LP x 2 is probably the safest line tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Booyah- posted:

Fat ugly and socially retarded neckbeards with slight psychopathic tendencies, like me, love playing a crazy, sexy and charismatic character, like Vega.