Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm not what you would call "Good" at PvP anyways, so my entire confusion is why basically everyone I have run into treat purple invaders as turbo Satan who should be taken down through any means necessary as soon as possible (okay makes sense so far) While a Red phantom is right there, trying to kill you (Aaaand now I'm confused).

"Hey you know what? I guess I don't HAVE to kill the host. Okay, guard break the read Phantom and-oh I've been backstabbed by the host. Well at least they can probably catch... oh they are enacting a 4vs1 beatdown on me while the red phantom crystals out 10 feet away completely ignored? Okey dokey."

I mean yeah, if I decide to bow as an invader an they respond by stabbing me in the groin, I'm still an INVADER despite how many people also scream like children at how invaders should have honor, so that's understandable. In any game, E honor only survives as long as it is convenient for the person demanding it, anyways.

I'm just trying to figure out why the priorities I've run into so far in my meager dabbling of invasion seem to be "gently caress purple guys forever. Even if a Red phantom is pitching chaos fireballs at me and my phantoms, we gotta get that purple guy first! Even if he's dressed up like a farmer dual wielding torches!"

Is it because purple dudes give you a shackle if you kill them, while killing reds give you gently caress all as a host or sign summon? That's the only "Logical" reason I can quickly think of for so many people going out of their way to kill purples instead of reds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Obligatum VII posted:

A Smelter Demon for each element! All at the same time!

It'll be like the gank squad from the first DLC :getin:

except I'd expect four smelter demons at the same time to be better than that mess

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

School Nickname posted:

As I was running out of embers to fight bosses (My vig is only 15, should I buff it up a bit?), I decided to help newbies fight Old Demon King. I was summoned by one guy like 5 times, he still hasn't realised that the boss explodes when close to death. :cripes:
VIG's a great investment up to 27 and still decent after that until around 40 so you can pretty much just keep dropping points in it until you feel like your giant healthbar is getting wasteful

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Actually, this theory about the Four Kings may make Kaathe's endgame make more sense.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Section Z posted:

I'm not what you would call "Good" at PvP anyways, so my entire confusion is why basically everyone I have run into treat purple invaders as turbo Satan who should be taken down through any means necessary as soon as possible (okay makes sense so far) While a Red phantom is right there, trying to kill you (Aaaand now I'm confused).

"Hey you know what? I guess I don't HAVE to kill the host. Okay, guard break the read Phantom and-oh I've been backstabbed by the host. Well at least they can probably catch... oh they are enacting a 4vs1 beatdown on me while the red phantom crystals out 10 feet away completely ignored? Okey dokey."

yeah this is super confusing to me too, I guess its because some people don't understand what purple is and they're like "oh poo poo it's like a SUPER RED!" when in all actuality they just have to put together that purple = red (invader) + blue (helper)

I've even got some footage of a huge brawl in the crab lagoon with like two reds, two yellows, a white, a blue, and a watchdog of farron, and the watchdog just starts gunning it for me (the purple) even running past yellow phantoms and the host to get to me.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Tetracube posted:

I kind of appreciate the hp reduction for invaders in this game because it reminds us all to stop caring about e-honorable duels or whatever and just kill people however possible

I would agree, but killed phantoms can be summoned again 30 seconds later, so the invaders don't even get that.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RatHat posted:

I think the guy in black/silver knight armor was hacking. I don't think it's possible to get your defense that high without a ridiculous amount of vitality.

Hell, I have no points in Vitality. My defense in full BK sans helm is too high anyway, so I wear the Calamity Ring.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What weapon do you guys recommend for a spell-oriented glass cannon? I think it would be cool to have a buffable weapon, but since I'll go high int AND fth I suppose it would have to have low requirements.

Only going for straight swords as a last resort, literally anything else would be cooler/more fun.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BillmasterCozb posted:

It'll be like the gank squad from the first DLC :getin:

except I'd expect four smelter demons at the same time to be better than that mess

I'm still amazed I beat that garbage boss with the two NPC summons they give you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

What weapon do you guys recommend for a spell-oriented glass cannon? I think it would be cool to have a buffable weapon, but since I'll go high int AND fth I suppose it would have to have low requirements.

Only going for straight swords as a last resort, literally anything else would be cooler/more fun.

you're probably gonna be using one anyway because you need a shitload of int to make sorceries good and straight swords tend to have the least requirements. you could maybe try making the deep battle axe you get early on raw tho. really just make whatever you like raw and then buff it. my real suggestion is don't bbe spel oriented, period

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

argondamn posted:

I like fighting multiple opponents and even when I don't win it's satisfying to see how close I can get. Maybe you guys shouldn't invade if you don't like it.

I like invading in upper Irithyll and being as obnoxious as possible until enough Aldritch Faithful show up that I'm not fighting outnumbered any more. :smugdog:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

SciFiDownBeat posted:

perhaps irithyll is the painted world, which aldrich or pontiff sulyvhan dragged into the real world in their search for priscilla, and priscilla somehow morphed into yorshka. the influence of the painted world could also contribute to anor londo's state (besides dark anor londo being triggered in the past).

I don't think Irithyll is anything from a previous game. I think it's a place on the far side of the world that got dragged into Lothric because it's Aldritch's hometown and he was powerful enough to be a lord a cinder.

He's very clearly an outsider to traditional dark souls. In a world full of fire and kindling, he dreams of a world of water

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

SciFiDownBeat posted:

perhaps she believes the darkmoon blades to have died with gwyndolin, not knowing about yorshka

idea: if it's established that seath finds a way to reincarnate himself somehow (through freja and ocerios), and priscilla is the "daughter" of seath, it could be postulated that priscilla also has the ability to reincarnate, and yorshka is her new form.

Could be, tho for me Seath's reincarnation deal is tied up in the crystals moreso than anything else, and Yorshka doesn't have that motif going on

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

SciFiDownBeat posted:

perhaps she believes the darkmoon blades to have died with gwyndolin, not knowing about yorshka

idea: if it's established that seath finds a way to reincarnate himself somehow (through freja and ocerios), and priscilla is the "daughter" of seath, it could be postulated that priscilla also has the ability to reincarnate, and yorshka is her new form.

It's not impossible, but Seath's ability to reincarnate is not unique, nor really something he "found out" how to do. I guess the sticking point is that Seath explicitly is an eternal being but the Four Kings are not mentioned as such. There's a lot of potential reasons for this, but this part of the Dark Souls 2 lore has always been a little bit sketchy. Dragons and their progeny in general seem to be pretty difficult to stamp out entirely, so a certain degree of permanence might be intrinsic to their beings.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If I have 15 INT/FAI for support buffs, what chime and/or staff is the best for me?

assume +8 target reinforcement for it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

He's very clearly an outsider to traditional dark souls. In a world full of fire and kindling, he dreams of a world of water

his japanese name is supposedly directly translated as "eldritch" so I like to entertain the idea that he's a corporeal great one from bloodborne

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Are the higher SL ranks more populated now because of the bigger audience, or do Japanese players just tend to play at higher SL? My experience with previous Souls games was that multiplayer dies off once your SL/SM goes too high, but in DS3 I'm still getting a lot of invasions in NG+++ at SL 230. Not sure if it's the playing habits of my current region or just lots of new people playing past the meta.

Unfortunately they all seem to be people who grinded levels to try and make up for a lack of skill, cause they sure do go down easy. Which makes me think it has to be the influx of new players, because veterans know that over-leveling has never been that helpful in these games.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

rdy 2 stop those invasions

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Looks like two free pig tongues to me

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I'm using the lothric knight sword, it requires 11 str and 18 dex(dex increases casting speed also so not a bad investment)...also scales S with Int when infused with Magic, nice little sword...oh no straight swords, maybe I should read the 2nd part, really just do whatever you want and buff it with magic I guess?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Babe Magnet posted:

rdy 2 stop those invasions

Crime is too hard, so now there's no crime. You're out of a job pig.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

HellCopter posted:

So when you say "Aldritch ate Nito" what you meant was, "Aldritch ate a pile of bones vaguely shaped like Nito"? I can accept that even if it's overall meaningless.

I meant he ate Nito, weirdo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Buca di Bepis posted:

i bet you can, actually. by getting better

Good memeing dude, but no, by now the twinks most of the time are the cooperators and there's up to 3 of them, plus the host, also the host has more health and estus, also if you do kill any of those phantoms it takes about a hot second for them to find a dozen more waiting, on top of that the host really doesn't ever have to fight you either if he doesn't want, because running away is so effective.

Also laffo at the dude a few pages ago that implied invasions almost ever come to two invaders trying to get you. That's literally only if you used fingers and even then it's unlikely.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I knew you could fight the Dancer early. I had no idea you could fight the Dragonslayer Armour early. I mean it makes sense since nothing is stopping you from getting there, but I never hear anyone doing it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

darksouls3spoilertags.txt

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I actually got summoned into a world with someone who had a sunbro already and a purple invader came in, the four of us spent about 20 minutes loving up every other invader that had the misfortune of coming into the hosts world. it was awesome .

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I knew you could fight the Dancer early. I had no idea you could fight the Dragonslayer Armour early. I mean it makes sense since nothing is stopping you from getting there, but I never hear anyone doing it.

Not much reason to, sadly. The Archives remain inaccessible until you do your job properly and find the other three lords of cinder and both of the Armor's transposition weapons require too many points in strength to use at a reasonably low level. It's also a pretty harsh fight even at level.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NTT posted:

RE: Sirris/Fingers, you can collect the covenant from Rosaria, equip it, invade with it, collect as many pale tongues as you want, and also respec all you want, and you will not break Sirris quest.

Give Rosaria fingers for the hell of it and you will though. Only respec/invade using the covenant symbol if you want to keep that quest intact.

Source: I had rosaria's fingers on and took 19 pale tongues from Popeporch and didn't lose Sirris until I got the obscuring ring

The patch that allows for this happened AFTER I had passed the point in the game to get a gesture from Yellowfinger, so I'll have to NG+ to get that last gesture for the achievement. Kinda crazy that even following a completionist guide you needed more than one playthrough to do EVERYTHING, but I guess that is what the patch was for.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The patch that allows for this happened AFTER I had passed the point in the game to get a gesture from Yellowfinger, so I'll have to NG+ to get that last gesture for the achievement. Kinda crazy that even following a completionist guide you needed more than one playthrough to do EVERYTHING, but I guess that is what the patch was for.

you can't do everything in one run anyway since there's at least one boss soul that can give you a unique spell or ring. unless havel's ring and boulder toss can be obtained elsewhere

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

irithyll is a pretty cool area a bit of a pain in the rear end to get the first leg done but i love the boss.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Is there an explanation as to why Yorshka exists besides "we needed a covenant master for the darkmoon blades" and "we needed a giant furry girl in the game"?
Things we know about Yorshka:
  • She appears to have her own existence, or at least didn't disappear because Gwyndolin got ate.
  • She looks a lot like Priscilla but not quite enough like her to just be her incognito. The fact you walk on an invisible path to reach her calls back to this as well since invisibility seems to be associated with Seath and Priscilla.
  • She has a church in Irithyll named after her; it's the bonfire where you can meet Anri and that you fall to when you go down the Prison Tower rafters.
  • The tower is called a "prison tower" and Yorshka apparently can't leave, since she asks you how you got there and whether you can fly.
  • She was granted her position by her "brother," who is the former captain and who gave her her name. This is clearly Gwyndolin, so Gwyndolin was un-eaten at the time.
  • She has a weapon associated with her, but there's no evidence to suggest she used it.
That's kind of it. It sure seems like she's maybe Priscilla's descendant, but Gwyndolin raised her as "Yorshka" and told her that she was his sister. Then he got eaten, but it's possible that Aldrich just somehow didn't ever find out about her. She could be a reincarnation, a similar crossbreed, nothing really says much beyond that Gwyndolin probably misled her a little bit about her real identity since DS1 only really hinted that Gwyn had three children (and all three are accounted for now with the NK).

Proposition Joe posted:

The descriptions on the Corvian weapons indicate that the Painted World still exists and that these horrible, terrible crow people are trying to find their way there.
The horrible, terrible crow people lived there originally. Apparently they can leave, since they've been found elsewhere (Ornifex, the Corvians themselves). The question is whether they're guiding the forlorn and lost to the Painted World or if the stories of the Painted World have replaced its actual existence. The Storyteller Staff mentions:

Staff of a heretic storyteller who shares tales of the Painted World to forlorn souls.
The storytellers, too, are wretched beings with no place to go. Their bodies, souls, and even their staves are all tainted through and through.

Which doesn't really state whether the Painted World still exists or not, only that the Corvians can no longer get there because they're either tainted and incapable or they just can't. Painting portal is gone, Aldrich ate Priscilla and drove the inhabitants out, who knows.

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of lore, is there... anything, anything to explain Andre's continued presence? I cannot find a single bit of information on the guy in the game except for his hammer which pretty much just says the same thing it said in DS1.
A purpose and a steady supply of souls can keep a person healthy and potentially sane, and a lack of purpose can accelerate the curse. Compare Lucatiel in DS2 who can only make it as far as she does because you help her remember her purpose and Maughlin who becomes less rational once he realizes his dream of becoming rich. The shrine handmaiden also seems to enjoy pointing out that earning souls by selling poo poo to you is good news for her.

Blacksmiths are one of the most in-demand professions around in such a dangerous environment, and as Andre says a few times, being a smith is just what he does; it's who he is. Keeps him going. He might've also had a period where he was dead and came back as Unkindled as well. Regardless, it's unquestionably the same Andre from DS1 and the only excuse he ever gives is that he's a smith and enjoys it.

Space Hamlet posted:

Edit: Though I will say that my preferred readings are those which shove DS2 off to the dustbin of utter irrelevance rather than giving it central booking
That's unfortunate because DS2 lore is kind of important to the overall narrative and while DS1 is favored in DS3 by no means is DS2 considered unimportant and it contributed a lot of visual motifs and legends to the world. The Legend of the Linking of the Fire derives from Drangleic, which sort of suggests that people didn't know about the First Flame needing to be relinked -- except the few chosen undead who traveled to the nexus of the cycle and rekindled it -- until the legends of Drangleic's survivors spread through the world. Considering how lovely the world has gotten as the flames sputter out, it's probably good that people are aware it needs to be relinked often.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I was really hoping to see the throne of want just laying around smashed to pieces or something, but alas
Firelink is literally a larger version of the Throne of Want. It's kiln-shaped inside, has an ashen floor, and has thrones in it (and a Lordvessel at the base of it all). Five rather than just one, because the flames are in such a sorry state that it takes more Lords of Cinder than it gives. The ritual has evolved from the DS2 days to require a larger shrine specifically dedicated to linking the next cycle's Lord of Cinder to the Kiln of the First Flame. Back in ye olden days all you had to do was use the Lordvessel, but that poo poo won't cut it now.

Think too about the entire notion of a Lord of Cinder. How are people even aware of such a thing? It's common knowledge in DS3 that people who linked the fire and weren't completely consumed by it remain as Lords of Cinder. Who told them that? Your DS1 guy certainly didn't. Vendrick and Aldia researched it in Drangleic and by some funny coincidence the Legend of the Linking of the Fire derives from the fall of Drangleic and the spread of its people throughout the world as mercenaries. Vendrick knew what becoming a Lord of Cinder (== True Monarch) would entail and chickened out, and that's why he's known to history as the King of Want and "no true king" (which isn't a dig at DS2, because Vendrick literally says himself that he's no king in SotFS).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can't do everything in one run anyway since there's at least one boss soul that can give you a unique spell or ring. unless havel's ring and boulder toss can be obtained elsewhere

Oh that's from Stray Demon, right? I know I got Havel's Ring from that on my first character and I guess Boulder Toss was the other option I could have taken?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

School Nickname posted:

As I was running out of embers to fight bosses (My vig is only 15, should I buff it up a bit?), I decided to help newbies fight Old Demon King. I was summoned by one guy like 5 times, he still hasn't realised that the boss explodes when close to death. :cripes:

Actually having some trouble of my own vs ODK, because I don't have an appropriate weapon, so I'm stuck using a Black knight sword two-handed. Works OK, but I need to git gud.

He explodes?! I guess I just killed him too fast every time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nakar posted:

A purpose and a steady supply of souls can keep a person healthy and potentially sane, and a lack of purpose can accelerate the curse. Compare Lucatiel in DS2 who can only make it as far as she does because you help her remember her purpose and Maughlin who becomes less rational once he realizes his dream of becoming rich. The shrine handmaiden also seems to enjoy pointing out that earning souls by selling poo poo to you is good news for her.

Blacksmiths are one of the most in-demand professions around in such a dangerous environment, and as Andre says a few times, being a smith is just what he does; it's who he is. Keeps him going. He might've also had a period where he was dead and came back as Unkindled as well. Regardless, it's unquestionably the same Andre from DS1 and the only excuse he ever gives is that he's a smith and enjoys it.

This makes sense when I consider that the giant Blacksmith stopped getting visitors once Aldrich set up shop :negative:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

invaded a dude who only had one letter of his name wordfiltered, what the gently caress

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that's from Stray Demon, right? I know I got Havel's Ring from that on my first character and I guess Boulder Toss was the other option I could have taken?

yeah, it's either or on that one. bummed me out when I noticed it

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Most of the Boss soul choices are easy but some are really brutal. C. Gundyr is the worst

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Babe Magnet posted:

invaded a dude who only had one letter of his name wordfiltered, what the gently caress

Maybe he just used a *?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

perhaps irithyll is the painted world, which aldrich or pontiff sulyvhan dragged into the real world in their search for priscilla, and priscilla somehow morphed into yorshka. the influence of the painted world could also contribute to anor londo's state (besides dark anor londo being triggered in the past).

This poo poo is Hideo Kajima levels of MGS story convolution :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Oh and the Usurpation of Fire ending may follow from the Scholar lore, in that Vendrick wonders if there's another way and would rather go hollow than muster up the courage to do it, and Aldia notes that humans seek something beyond the cycle that they're trapped in. They tried and failed to break the cycle. The Fire Keeper's vision of the future suggests that the cycle may be impossible to break even if you let the flames die out.

But what can you do? Well, Yuria/Kaathe and Londor seem to want a Lord of Hollows to seize the First Flame and do... something with it... and that might be what breaks the cycle for good. Kaathe never suggests that you do this in DS1, so it's possible that he discovered that merely letting the flames die out isn't going to stop things and sought a more permanent solution, exactly like Aldia did. Yuria is also the only character in the game that I'm aware of who uses the phrase "true monarch," an expression favored by Vendrick and Aldia in DS2. Perhaps a "true" monarch is not a Lord of Cinder, but a Lord of Hollows, one who seizes the flames for mankind and ends the cycle. Somehow.