Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I think that you missed your shot (if you want to get Anri's "good" ending) and you needed to have summoned Londor Pale Shade for the Abyss Watchers' fight to get the gesture. I'm pretty sure that if you want it now, you have to continue following along with Yuria's plans for Anri.

gtrmp posted:

Pretty sure human NPCs leave the area once you get past a certain distance. If you want to both save Anri and get the Pale Shade's gesture in the same game, you'd have to summon the Shade at Farron Keep instead of in Irithyll.

Laaame. Guess I won't get to be a swingin' bachelor on the prowl this playthrough either. I'm annoyed that the pale shade apparently doesn't give you it's gesture if you summon it for the last boss, since I totally did that for NG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sometimes this games PvP drives me crazy.

See this guy? Spent like 10 minutes trying to find him, with a blue boy dying in the process. When I finally track him down he has a summon. Okay, so I kill his summon (well really he kills himself via gravity) so now its just him. I get him down to low health, peg him with a charm, and he...runs in a giant circle. Can't catch up to him to finish him off. He won't even try to fight, just runs until the charm wears off so he can heal. So that was a waste, but what's this? He stopped! To do what?

Summon the same exact phantom.

So now I fight both of them again, and guess what Mr. Phantom is still clumsy and falls to his death. So after killing this guy twice, I once again have the host alone. What does he do? Runs in a loving circle. Its not like I can catch him unless he does something dumb, so he can just do this forever. He keeps running until he can summon his phantom pal for the third time. This has been going on so long that another blue boy has been summoned as well.

So now its a 3v1. I dunno how long this idiocy would of gone on, because as soon as those two started trying to fight me again they rolled off the edge. Still, there was literally nothing I could do about this guy running in a giant circle to summon the same dude over and over. Its awful.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Got my drakeblood armor set today. I would've never went back and stumbled upon it without the internet. WTF, FROM? That and Havel set seemed so nonsensical.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I'm not arguing for that. The PvP in this game (invasions or ~honorable duels~) can be incredibly fun and deep when it actually works. Which I really wish it did for me :(

Seriously? :v: I can play other online games just fine, ones that are much faster paced than Dark Souls. Their netcode leaves a lot to be desired, it's something I never thought I'd hear someone defend.

I mean, I get consistently good connections in these games (especially Dark Souls II and onwards), far better than the ones I get in most other multiplayer games.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Streaming some SL50-70 PVP. Join in if you're on PC. Just seen someone with a giant red head?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Still, there was literally nothing I could do about this guy running in a giant circle to summon the same dude over and over. Its awful.

You absolutely can. It's a bit weapon-dependent (i.e. you're never going to do it with a slower weapon) but with straight swords, katanas, curved swords, spears, and halberds you can put enough pressure on them with running attacks to land a hit every once in a while. After landing enough to get them to low HP you can then go for bigger damage as they try to heal or w/e.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm no From lore detective so this might be babies first interpretation. But is the 'first flame' literally The Sun?

DS1 intro is fighting dragons in stormy cloudiness, DS3 ends with the sun dark signed and melting away to the age of dark.

Is this so obvious that nobody actually states it in any lore videos or things I've read? It's been years since I read DS1 lore.

When the first flame first shows up, it's a sunrise.

Also the dark ending of this game is letting the first flame go out, but it's okay because the fire keeper says that there are other flames in the distance. By other flames she means other star systems.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

You absolutely can. It's a bit weapon-dependent (i.e. you're never going to do it with a slower weapon) but with straight swords, katanas, curved swords, spears, and halberds you can put enough pressure on them with running attacks to land a hit every once in a while. After landing enough to get them to low HP you can then go for bigger damage as they try to heal or w/e.

Yeah no. If they have similar levels of endurance then they can outpace you forever. With a long range weapon you might be able to land a hit every once in awhile, but that damage won't be enough to kill them unless they were already low. And they'll probably get a chance to heal as well unless your chasing is literally perfect. Again, it comes more down too who has the most stamina and whether or not the host makes a dumb mistake when running.

I was using the pike, one of the longest range weapons in the game, and I was only able to scratch him over the span of like 5 minutes of chasing.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Try flame surge to punish that stuff. Its hard to avoid even while rolling and costs no stamina to cast.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sometimes I invade people and just use silence effects to run up behind and then past them, then I dodge their attacks for a bit, followed by running off then repeating, never actually attacking, just startling them. I really enjoy jumping out at them with chameleon/white birches, but it feels kinda mean so maybe I'll start dropping titanite for them to find, then jump out at them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

codo27 posted:

Streaming some SL50-70 PVP. Join in if you're on PC. Just seen someone with a giant red head?

I'm in, what is your weapon upgrade level?

e: I'll be a purple sign with the name Fugitivos

e2: I put my sign down near the right-hand staircase with your back to the bonfire.

So I put my sign down to try and get into your fight club and I get summoned by a who starts chugging when I got him on the ropes. Why you gonna' do that if you summoned me, homie

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 4, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah no. If they have similar levels of endurance then they can outpace you forever. With a long range weapon you might be able to land a hit every once in awhile, but that damage won't be enough to kill them unless they were already low. And they'll probably get a chance to heal as well unless your chasing is literally perfect. Again, it comes more down too who has the most stamina and whether or not the host makes a dumb mistake when running.

I was using the pike, one of the longest range weapons in the game, and I was only able to scratch him over the span of like 5 minutes of chasing.

It works, I know this from experience. You will only hit them every once in a while, as I said, but that's enough. If they go for a heal you can either preempt their attempt to get them lower or let them do it and go for a super combo while they're healing if you got the appropriate weapon (basically anything with spin bash). Or you can free aim a Hunter Charm to prevent their estus. It requires you to play very well, but it's very much doable.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Proposition Joe posted:

Also the dark ending of this game is letting the first flame go out, but it's okay because the fire keeper says that there are other flames in the distance. By other flames she means other star systems.

or maybe a second flame will rise :v:

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Proposition Joe posted:

yeah and here you can see that behind the darksign is the sun. As in, the darksign is based off of the eclipse we see and not vice versa.

so yeah it's definitely possible

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 4, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Genocyber posted:

It works, I know this from experience. You will only hit them every once in a while, as I said, but that's enough. If they go for a heal you can either preempt their attempt to get them lower or let them do it and go for a super combo while they're healing if you got the appropriate weapon (basically anything with spin bash). Or you can free aim a Hunter Charm to prevent their estus. It requires you to play very well, but it's very much doable.
If they have as much endurance as you and they're actually just running away(and don't gently caress up in some stupid way), no, it does not work. There isn't really anything in the mechanics of this game that punishes this, it's not like the chaser gets a speed boost.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Blue cops 4 life! Hahaha!! Beat the game last week and am now just having fun. This morning I had some time to roll a new character and cheesed the Dancer with the master swordsman glitch. Fun stuff. Got some sick armor at level 20, always a good time in these souls games.

I then progressed in to the Undead Settlement which apparently is the most hilarious PVP spot to have used the dried knuckles (especially at a low level) for the Vordt boss fight earlier to help get three sun bros an easy reward. Hilarious because now every 5 minutes I was invaded. Each minute after these invasions (both red and purple guys)... a blue cop joined to help me.

One cop I let fight it out 1 v 1. Cop won. It was entertaining to watch. A good sporting duel. :hist101:

Another invader took some time to find because he was a lowbie killer with an Obscuring ring and had an awesome armor set as well. We took him down promptly out of respect for how terrifying he looked as he parried like he knew what he was doing while wielding a katana.

The next invader drat near killed my blue cop before I could catch up to him and at that point I felt the need to help him. So I did and we killed him together. Fun stuff.

Finally I'm reaching the estus soup (praise the sun!) and I get another invasion. Scarf some good health stew and off I go! Met my cop at the big bonfire but no invader yet so I continue to progress. As soon as we start dealing with the fat cleric atop the over pass the red phantom jumps us. We barely have time to react before the cleric then drops down to the ground and starts walloping me with his giant club, sending me flying. (Good timing on the invaders behalf, drat)

I roll up, drank quick and we are now separated. Me towards the bonfire ahead and my cop is off duking it out 1 v 1 with the invader towards the area with the caged undead monsters. I run back hoping the fat cleric can't fit through the door.... but WAIT! Holy Knight Hodrick invades!!! :doh: gently caress, forgot about him. Whatever, he walks slow enough... so I dance with the fat cleric stuck in the door for a bit and I'm not doing so well (her delayed attacks are a real bitch) so I decide to run for it, light the next bonfire before I die stupidly. Run run run, drop of the crumbling arc, hopefully don't aggro anything. Light the bonfire. Run run run, and as I get back up the stairs my blue cop kills the red invader and then he also finishes what was left of the cleric. Sweet!

2 seconds later, INVASION... another mound invader incoming and Holy Knight Hodrick is on the prowl, hot on my tail at this point. This is getting reeeaal ugly but I'm still up 3 estus sips. We trade attacks with Hodrick quick and are very soon joined by our next invader.

Mind you, I've had this knuckle thing going since the last boss but this is the only time it seems to have come in to play because I have been trying to progress in game and then just run back to meet invaders in the space I've cleared of enemies. NOW there is a big fucker with a wooden board on his back who we all know and love. He starts swinging his buzz saw on all four of us who are rolling, dodging and feinting with wreckless abandon. At one point we retreated to the bonfire below where I bait our PVP mound maker into dropping down from above thanks to my tireless bow and arrow work. I block his downward thrust attach with my shield (100% bitch). My cop capitalizes on his hastiness but is unable to finish him while I recover. We chase him back up again to where our beloved crazy rear end in a top hat with a saw is. It was so much fun watching him get thrashed while we killed Hodrick. The mound maker escapes to heal as we kill the big guy quickly. Then he wades in with nothing left to lose and no where to run and we handle it. Done AAAAaaaand done.

That... was... awesome. PVP 4 life. This game rocks. :black101:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

I got my Estoc to +8 and made it sharp. It's pretty cool I think.

Then, I tried for 20 minutes to do a PVP. I had 11 CRO's and now I have 4. I have 0 pale tougnes.

The first three fights were so unbearably laggy that the guys were just warping around.

The next 5 fights I either invaded at the precise moment the jerks were going into a critical boss fight so I was returned.

One I lost.

Two I got so bored trying to find the guys I just quit.

PvP is really lovely in this game and should probably just be forgotten about *entirely* so the development team can focus on the true game. The singleplayer/co-op experience.

This post was designed to piss me off specifically

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Just to make sure, the Lothric Knights around the Daragonslayer Armour with the UGS can drop it right? Because I've been farming them for a while and have not seen it yet even with an off-hand crystal sage rapier. I wish there was a more efficient way to kill them, it takes so long at this early stage of the game to take out even one of them.

I knwo for a fact one has dropped, however, I dont know if it drops specifically from one Lothric Knight posted in Grand Archives. Also however, Im pretty sure Greirat can forage one from Irithyll - either that or I got it from some umbral ash. All I know is my handmaid is currently selling one so farming seems unneccesary

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fromsoft please remove the piss-soaked set, I'm tired of seeing 90% of the players wearing it :mad:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm in, what is your weapon upgrade level?

e: I'll be a purple sign with the name Fugitivos

e2: I put my sign down near the right-hand staircase with your back to the bonfire.

So I put my sign down to try and get into your fight club and I get summoned by a who starts chugging when I got him on the ropes. Why you gonna' do that if you summoned me, homie

My swords at +6

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Does counter damage only trigger off a blocked swing now? In the other games it would trigger at the end of an opponents missed attack, but I can't get it to trigger in that same way in this game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

codo27 posted:

My swords at +6

my caestus are that, but I'm going to pass tonight after all. Too many laggy fights, and it's happening too frequently for it to be anything but my internet being lovely.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's some lore on dragon-related items suggesting that people who take / long for the Path of the Dragon are idiots mutilating themselves in pursuit of a goal they'll never reach.

Plus, I mean, look what happened to Oceiros.

They were simply unworthy. Whereas I

I am a dragon.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Sometimes this games PvP drives me crazy.

See this guy? Spent like 10 minutes trying to find him, with a blue boy dying in the process. When I finally track him down he has a summon. Okay, so I kill his summon (well really he kills himself via gravity) so now its just him. I get him down to low health, peg him with a charm, and he...runs in a giant circle. Can't catch up to him to finish him off. He won't even try to fight, just runs until the charm wears off so he can heal. So that was a waste, but what's this? He stopped! To do what?

Summon the same exact phantom.

So now I fight both of them again, and guess what Mr. Phantom is still clumsy and falls to his death. So after killing this guy twice, I once again have the host alone. What does he do? Runs in a loving circle. Its not like I can catch him unless he does something dumb, so he can just do this forever. He keeps running until he can summon his phantom pal for the third time. This has been going on so long that another blue boy has been summoned as well.

So now its a 3v1. I dunno how long this idiocy would of gone on, because as soon as those two started trying to fight me again they rolled off the edge. Still, there was literally nothing I could do about this guy running in a giant circle to summon the same dude over and over. Its awful.

It really is ridiculous how easy it is to run away in this game. If you're using a great weapon it's pretty much mandatory you carry a quick stabbing weapon around to MAYBE KIND OF SORT OF punish runners if you're LUCKY.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Your Computer posted:

Fromsoft please remove the piss-soaked set, I'm tired of seeing 90% of the players wearing it :mad:

No really, I love that the Fallen Knight Trousers description makes it very clear about it. And yet the design is sure to appeal to edgelords.

There are a lot of explicitly stinky clothes in this game. Once again proving that the last thing you ever ought to do is think too hard about how it smells in Dark Souls land.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Night Blade posted:

It really is ridiculous how easy it is to run away in this game. If you're using a great weapon it's pretty much mandatory you carry a quick stabbing weapon around to MAYBE KIND OF SORT OF punish runners if you're LUCKY.

I don't mind it. They always come back for another try. I'll drop a Giants Seed if they really keep me waiting. And I can always just move on. I'm not trapped in there with them. They are trapped in here with me.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The First Flame is in an enclosed space. You see that right before all the shambling hollows going towards it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This looks like a fun build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izm221rsriU

The ending is amazing.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Stokes posted:

Does counter damage only trigger off a blocked swing now? In the other games it would trigger at the end of an opponents missed attack, but I can't get it to trigger in that same way in this game.

I think only certain animations are counterable. Jumping attacks mid jump, some heavy attacks just before hyper armor starts and for a very short window after the active frames, no idea what else. I have countered what I think was the battle axe running attack but not sure. Recovery/active frames in general do not seem to qualify for counter damage.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 4, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izm221rsriU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
well, after forwarding my ports i see a ton more signs which is great

but still cannot bluecop or darkmoon invade

rip

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Playing around with endgame stats I find this interesting. Going Pyro, of course I wanted a Chaos Estoc, but I couldn't tell if a raw rear end with CFA would have been better.

STR/DEX 14/14 (pumping it up for the Astora Greatsword)
INT/FTH 40/40
Pyro Hand and all weapons +10

Lightning Red Halberd +10: 448 AR (I wanted to play with a halberd)
Chaos Estoc +10: 450 AR
Raw rear end +10: 322 AR
Raw rear end +10 w/CFA: 539 AR

I mean drat, 217 additional AR off CFA? I think that's worth the cost of having to constantly reapply.

I have two Dark Swords. Might make one Raw w/CFA and one Chaos to see the difference there next. Same with Astora Greatsword...

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I always think a little less of someone who's using a big weapon and then switches to an estoc or whatever for a finisher. It's disrespectful to your greataxe, etc.

Using a bow or items is acceptable.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Just to make sure, the Lothric Knights around the Daragonslayer Armour with the UGS can drop it right? Because I've been farming them for a while and have not seen it yet even with an off-hand crystal sage rapier. I wish there was a more efficient way to kill them, it takes so long at this early stage of the game to take out even one of them.

I farmed it off the one guarding the sunbro altar by abusing the ladder and firebombing him. UGS is tough to adjust to when you're used to LS+Shield, especially when you only have the endurance for 1.5 swings.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

No really, I love that the Fallen Knight Trousers description makes it very clear about it. And yet the design is sure to appeal to edgelords.

There are a lot of explicitly stinky clothes in this game. Once again proving that the last thing you ever ought to do is think too hard about how it smells in Dark Souls land.

The description is pretty hilarious (I just wish more people read it, so they could find out they spent their entire playthrough walking around in someone else's stained trousers), but so goddamn many people use it. Both of the LP's I'm watching now went from using the piss-set straight to using the Abyss Watchers armor. There are so many cool armor sets in this game, at least try them out :negative:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Imagine looking at the Abyss Watcher's dorky juicer hats and thinking "drat, that looks soo cool".

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Imagine looking at the Abyss Watcher's dorky juicer hats and thinking "drat, that looks soo cool".

I mean it does.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm a fan of the pope outfit. Watching the robe flutter as you spin, run or slide down ladders is the best.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, like I get the point of it is so they have the same silhouette as artorias but... they could have made them look a little cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Xenolalia posted:

Yeah, like I get the point of it is so they have the same silhouette as artorias but... they could have made them look a little cooler.

I think they look perfect for a bunch of idiots cosplaying as a guy they barely know about but think is super cool.

Cyberventurer posted:

I'm a fan of the pope outfit. Watching the robe flutter as you spin, run or slide down ladders is the best.

Yeah I haven't used them but the Archedeacon set is really good. Surprised more people don't wear it.