Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RBA Starblade posted:

I got poisoned in Farron Keep while invading, and after I won and returned, I was still poisoned. That's kind of weird.

I cranked Vigor to 27, then enough points in str/dex to use whatever, then after that put endurance up to 100 stamina, then all luck from there. Raw infuse until you can Hollow it out. The twinblades build up bleed so fast it's crazy.

Also the higher level I invade the less cheaters I see. Just as many handhold phantoms though so it's still a wash.

e: The downside is there's literally nothing you can do about estoc poking.
I found SL80-100 to be the best for invading because you can one shot all ganker phantoms with a combo weapon or riposte and hornet ring.

SL120 invading stopped being fun because I couldn't do that anymore so all the gankers could just roll away and estus while their two friends screened for them. Even a hornet riposte won't instant kill some of these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

SciFiDownBeat posted:

But what do you mean by "blacked out?" I haven't seen this before and I haven't been able to find anything that mentions this.

With a lil bit of fashion souls, here is what I mean:

NTT posted:

How do you black it out???
I'm guessing it happened because I hadn't used the gesture to go here (having received it during the previous NG run, having skipped the whole Oceiros area this NG+) until AFTER I had watched the Usurping the Flames ending and decided not to do NG+.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

gtrmp posted:

Probably nothing. The datamined dialogue dump doesn't seem to have Karla saying anything you wouldn't normally see, aside from what looks like an unused alternative line from an early version of the game where she was named "Feria of the Profaned Capital".

As they say,
"The cornered rat will lick the balls of a cat."
You're headed for the brink, aren't you?
Well, you won't drag me down.
En guarde, you crusty ash bastard!

lol.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is the whole world dark like that for you, or just that one area? Because that's very awwww, the most freshest area, the one place where you can actually see a blue sky (hell, you're so far in the atmosphere you can see the moon) is now also dark because the world is ending.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Genocyber posted:

80, 100, and 120 are all currently pretty active. 100 is probably the best for now.

Am I understanding correctly that 110 has access to invasions from all 3 other SL metas? I don't really get the summon range in these games and need it spelled out like I'm a baby

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gtrmp posted:

Probably nothing. The datamined dialogue dump doesn't seem to have Karla saying anything you wouldn't normally see, aside from what looks like an unused alternative line from an early version of the game where she was named "Feria of the Profaned Capital".

"Fret not, my feet are firmly planted"

Oh Ludleth, you joker you.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

With a lil bit of fashion souls, here is what I mean:

I'm guessing it happened because I hadn't used the gesture to go here (having received it during the previous NG run, having skipped the whole Oceiros area this NG+) until AFTER I had watched the Usurping the Flames ending and decided not to do NG+.

wow that's badass

e: I wonder if I could do that on my ng+ character. in the current run I'm going for usurpation and I haven't been to the peak yet

FutonForensic posted:

Well, you fight a relative with a much nicer rear end, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmrfhLussAE&t=59s

kalel fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 4, 2016

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

net cafe scandal posted:

Am I understanding correctly that 110 has access to invasions from all 3 other SL metas? I don't really get the summon range in these games and need it spelled out like I'm a baby

I'm currently at 110 and I can bluecop, invade, defend, and get invaded pretty regularly still. Maybe a bit less bluecopping than when I was around 80 in NG, but still. I guess I was lucky with all my covenants working. I only had to grind Wolfgrass, but that took maybe just two evenings to get 30 from repeat killing the three Ghrus outside the bonfire.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I'm watching a youtuber I like go through the Cathedral and he just killed the first giant up on the walkway where you get Lloyd's Ring. I was completely :stare: coz it didn't even occur to me that the giant would leave his hand on the balcony long enough to hit it. Every time I've been through there I've run flat out since it seemed so obvious the developers intended you to do it that way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

But here's the thing: we got three Souls games in three consecutive years, and DS3 is where the cracks have really started to show. This isn't the kind of game you can turn into an annual franchise, even for a short time. It's a really rare feeling to finish a game that I really enjoyed but still feel like I'm glad they're not going to make another one, at least not before taking a good, long break to do something else.

I feel the same way. The pve aspects are as good as ever, mostly, but the multiplayer feels half-baked and frustrating. It's still a great game, but it's time for a break and I'm glad From recognized that too.

That said I'll look forward to Deep Souls in a year or three. :v:

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Ever since I tried it in DS3 I did a 180 on my opinion on PvP, and now I think that everyone should try it, but drat some people lack even the basest of skill for it. I mean I'm not great myself, but if I decide totally phone it in and still hold you off with just blantant R1s and bleed then you probably should try something else instead. Oh well at least a blue spawned near the end and got the kill so it wasn't a total loss of time.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
As much as I like enemies attacking faster I kind of wish they left that poo poo in Bloodborne. Fat rolling is suicide against certain enemies and I don't feel like fiddling with the inventory every time I see a certain enemy that needs speed over armor.

I mean fatrolling was always bad but this is the first time I just can't really see it working due to so many enemies being bloodthirsty.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

wow that's badass

e: I wonder if I could do that on my ng+ character. in the current run I'm going for usurpation and I haven't been to the peak yet

Do it! The framing of the Wyvern against the black sky was pretty mind blowing before I turned his face inside-out without taking a hit.

Just checked, no other areas have blacked out skies! Did I discover A Thing?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel the same way. The pve aspects are as good as ever, mostly, but the multiplayer feels half-baked and frustrating. It's still a great game, but it's time for a break and I'm glad From recognized that too.
The multiplayer has been half-baked in every one of these games.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Vermain posted:

The core issue, I think, is that DS2 made them wary of messing with The Brand. I mean this merely in terms of mechanics: DS2 attempted to innovate, however slightly, by introducing things like variable dodge distances, ADP, a change to the Poise system, startup frames for parrying, Lifegems, slow Estus, etc. DS3 backtracked on the majority of these (sometimes for the better; no one will miss ADP) and added almost nothing new to the core gameplay. Three games in, I'm still just dodge rolling/blocking the attacks of enemies, and then hitting them when they're in recovery frames. That isn't cutting the mustard any more. The series needed innovation, but Namco-Bandai (and, probably, From Software) wanted a big financial hit, and that meant appealing to nostalgia (remember when DS1 had flat elemental damage reduction? you kids loved that, right?) rather than attempting to take the series in a new, potentially divisive direction with its gameplay.

The best thing that they could do at this point is just dump the Dark Souls series in the bin and start up a new series where they have more freedom to innovate with the core formula. Consumer expectations (or, at least, the perception of consumer expectations) are anchoring the series with tired mechanics. It's a bitter irony that the series has started to, itself, Hollow: a shambling reminder of a past life that crudely imitates what it once was, refusing to let go. I expect (and hope) Miyazaki isn't a dummy and is just going to flat out refuse any further DS games, unless they seriously take a good, long look at the game's core action RPG systems and are willing to take the dive. Otherwise, just let the drat thing have its final rest.

I'm pretty sure (not even joking) that this is meaning of the "To Link the Fire" ending, with the sad flickering flame, after doing the same thing over and over again The better endings are the ones that do something different. It's a shame, because a lot of people recognised this during DS2.

On the upside, at least this series went out on a high, with what I'd argue are the best mechanics, best combat, and best bosses to date. We haven't even had the DLC yet and From's are arguably the best in the industry. I guess I'm not as burnt out as some since I don't own a PS4.

Look at something like Elder Scrolls or Fallout though, where people will complain if Bethesda don't retain lovely mechanics over a decade old and be glad the series isn't going down that path.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So I really hope that peoples' frustration with some of the less-than-perfect aspects of this game don't push DS2 forward as some sort of golden age of balance and innovation. It's easy to let current frustrations overshadow past ones. Nothing in DS3 has made me think I'd like to go back and play DS2.

I know it's just the normal flow of a sequalized series and opinions being opinions. Some opinions are definitely more wrong than others though.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ineffiable posted:

Just FYI, you only need one fp to cast weapon arts, so shields with simple infusion are pretty good.

I use my Caestus this way, I like its parry the best and while the damage is negligible it hits a little faster than my Greataxes. Also if you want to clown someone finishing them off with a one-two punch is pretty demeaning.

I want to be able to parry, hold down triangle, and finish people off with a punch critical but I can't get the timing right...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

turtlecrunch posted:

As they say,
"The cornered rat will lick the balls of a cat."
You're headed for the brink, aren't you?
Well, you won't drag me down.
En guarde, you crusty ash bastard!

lol.

Games > Dark Souls 3: En guarde, you crusty ash bastard

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yes god forbid someone likes DS2 more :rolleyes: Guess what? There are some who prefer, just how like some thing DS1 is still better or that Bloodborne is better.

But yeah GOD forbid someone likes DS2.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 4, 2016

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Deified Data posted:

So I really hope that peoples' frustration with some of the less-than-perfect aspects of this game don't push DS2 forward as some sort of golden age of balance and innovation. It's easy to let current frustrations overshadow past ones. Nothing in DS3 has made me think I'd like to go back and play DS2.

I know it's just the normal flow of a sequalized series and opinions being opinions. Some opinions are definitely more wrong than others though.

I thank christ for this elegant, well reasoned post that is definitely not a pretext to reignite this stupid loving debate for another ten pages.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Spin to win is back...sorta

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Deified Data posted:

Everyone wants DS3 in DS2's engine.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

gtrmp posted:

Ludleth has some weird dialogue that suggests being burned alive, there. I wonder if originally when you offer up the lords his death was gonna be a little more traumatic

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lol sick move, through the tears of denial

Rascyc posted:

Everyone wants DS3 in DS2's engine.

I do not

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

skasion posted:

Games > Dark Souls 3: En guarde, you crusty ash bastard

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I just want the netcode after thinking that through a little bit more.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
I do think DS2's engine is better than 1's, but 3's is probably better than either of them.

What I miss from 2 is some of it's spell selection and stuff like the Torch mechanics that could have been cool if they expanded on them and instead they ditched them. Also the DLCs had multiple phases to areas and interesting interactive bits and I wanted to see more of that. (Brume Tower pre- and post- activation, the Ashen Idols, Shulva's ghost knight thing and cool moving platforms and traps, Eleum Loyce and gaining the ability to see invisible, and then pre-/post- removing the snowstorm, finding the knights, etc.)

Hopefully the DLCs answer some of these concerns! Well, the Torch one probably not, but the spell selection and area interaction yeah.

EDIT: Oh, and jumping! 3 has 2's improved jumping mechanics, but doesn't actually use them like 2 did.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thank gently caress, it looks like respeccing doesn't mess up Sirris' quest anymore

I mean, too little too late since I'll probably never play another character who cares about the Dragonslayer Axe, but it's the thought that counts

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Today I learned you can parry weapon arts. All of them. Hilariously easily. You can also parry jumping, but not jump attacks.

I also learned I should never use the dried fingers, because they either bug out and don't let me summon phantoms, or bug out and don't let me HURT phantoms. I know they weren't hacking because the sentinels could, though.

quote:

The multiplayer has been half-baked in every one of these games.

Not like this.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mimingless posted:

EDIT: Oh, and jumping! 3 has 2's improved jumping mechanics, but doesn't actually use them like 2 did.

DS jumping should be for setting up totally sweet plunging attacks and leaving messages where the developers didn't intend you to get to. The bullshit platforming of DSII is not missed by me.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mimingless posted:

I do think DS2's engine is better than 1's, but 3's is probably better than either of them.

What I miss from 2 is some of it's spell selection and stuff like the Torch mechanics that could have been cool if they expanded on them and instead they ditched them. Also the DLCs had multiple phases to areas and interesting interactive bits and I wanted to see more of that. (Brume Tower pre- and post- activation, the Ashen Idols, Shulva's ghost knight thing and cool moving platforms and traps, Eleum Loyce and gaining the ability to see invisible, and then pre-/post- removing the snowstorm, finding the knights, etc.)

Hopefully the DLCs answer some of these concerns! Well, the Torch one probably not, but the spell selection and area interaction yeah.

The Crown DLCs are amazingly good, and I think it lies in the fact that they basically took Dark Souls and squirted a bunch of Zelda dungeon DNA all over it. It really plays well into DS2's slower style, while Bloodborne and DS3 move more in the direction of straight action games with RPG elements. Neither is "right," just different evolutions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

All I want is a Dark Souls title in the Dragon's Dogma engine.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Red Mundus posted:

As much as I like enemies attacking faster I kind of wish they left that poo poo in Bloodborne. Fat rolling is suicide against certain enemies and I don't feel like fiddling with the inventory every time I see a certain enemy that needs speed over armor.

I mean fatrolling was always bad but this is the first time I just can't really see it working due to so many enemies being bloodthirsty.

I've been fat rolling for a little while just for the fun of it since I wanted to wear Onion Bro's armor. You really need to also use a great shield since you definitely are going to be relying on a lot of blocking/range baiting and you need super high stability. With one of the better greatshields you can actually block nearly anything without getting guard broke. You kind of have to just give up on dodging and trust the shield. It only sucks against the few enemies that have a grab or some other unblockable poo poo.

Of course, since poise is broken, there's no reason to actually go this route other than wanting to look like Siegward or Havel.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

RBA Starblade posted:

Today I learned you can parry weapon arts. All of them. Hilariously easily. You can also parry jumping, but not jump attacks.

I haven't played nearly enough to know who is right, but that isn't consistent with the stuff from this post. Do the weapons you tried it out with match that post?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

lite_sleepr posted:

I bet you get summoned as a blue cop a lot as low levels
Define "low," because I've been running it from about 25-30 at +2 with the goddamn thing on for hours and not gotten a single summon. There's something just broken/wrong with it because some people get summoned constantly and the majority of people never get hits.

Of course, when invading I'm constantly facing bluecops :argh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hampig posted:

I haven't played nearly enough to know who is right, but that isn't consistent with the stuff from this post. Do the weapons you tried it out with match that post?

No, they parried ME. I guess there are the magic spell ones that can't though, didn't think of it. But you can parry the stances and everything without a thought.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Having 30 vit and being able to equip anything I want feels so freeing, I encourage everyone to give it a try.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is the estoc really the bane of pvp?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

lite_sleepr posted:

Is the estoc really the bane of pvp?

No, the estus is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mimingless posted:

Ah, are you sure you're counting the damage on the Soulmasses and Affinity correctly? I stopped at 50 Int instead of going to 60 and they're both still pretty drat strong - but I can't test them on the hollows outside Firelink because the first hit always kills them and that hit alone does over 100 damage. In bossfights though, landing all hits of Homing Crystal Soulmass was roughly equivalent to hitting with a Crystal Soul Spear. And Affinity was a big help for Oceiros, resisting magic damage as he does.

As for Greatsword and Edge, they have their uses. Greatsword for the AOE(It was super fun for Deacons!) and both of them for their knockdown. Dark Edge especially - it was my best friend when I got around to killing Tsorig. And Greatsword has the weird niche use of cutting through pillars to the enemy on the other side of them, which I kinda abused in Carthus and the Demon Ruins. :v:

EDIT: I should note, usually run two damage rings but no candlestick, bringing the candlestick out for bosses. Still though with 50 Int my homing spells were very helpful against normal enemies - Crystal Soulmass against the Lothric Knights and Affinity the Cathedral Knights outside Oceiros being what I remember most recently - and I'm pretty sure the Cathedral Knights resist dark! Ah, and the only time I ever bothered with Steady Chant was for weapon buffing.
It might be that there is a considerable difference between my 32 Int and your 50, especially considering that you're ont gonna use the Heretic's Staff anymore at that point. Also, I haven't tested, like, extensively. It just always was really underwhelming. I like how you think with the different applications for spells, though :D.

What I have wondered for a while and always shied away from testing because Twinkling upgrade path is how the Dark catalysts compare. I now have enough Twinks but I still can't do easy testing because Izalith scales with Faith (apparently ONLY for Dark spells, though?) and I have 16 Faith, so unless I get that up to 32 too, I don't think I'll be able to find it out on my own. It's really weird but maybe just their way of sneaking in the DS2 Hex scaling mechanics through the backdoor, as with the "appropriate" staff, you will still need both stats high to deal good damage.
Also, I have heard from a few sources now that there isn't even that much difference between using the dedicated Dark catalyst versus just the best normal one (because, well, that one scales better) so it seems moot anyway unless they adjust numbers. Which is kind of a shame!