Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
There's probably a cheap shot in there somewhere but I am going to give Judakel the benefit of the doubt and assume he's stupid rather than racist. Like, Gallipoli, one of the smaller and less-disastrous campaigns of WW1, had more than half as many casualties as the entire Civil War.

The Civil War was still lovely and terrible but I don't see what metric you can measure it on that makes it worse than WW1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Judakel posted:

The Civil War was horrific. Far worse than WWI.

Only if you're just counting the strict involvement of American troops. Otherwise WWI is very much worse than the Civil War. The Civil War gave hints as to the horrors to come with the beginnings of trench warfare, the introduction of multi-cartridge rifles, near invention of the concentration camp, limited submarine and iron ship engagements, and the Gatling gun. But it was still near half a century less industrialized and didn't reach the raw numbers or pointless carnage. The Civil War didn't have the gas attacks, years of pointlessly trading trenches, 19th Century military tactics being used against 20th Century weapons on a wide scale, or anywhere near the reach. WWI is the war that definitively killed and burred the romantic fiction of glorious war.

Plus WWI has far and away the stupidest beginning and ending of nearly any conflict. The assassination of an rear end in a top hat from Austia-Hungary blew up into a world conflict because the European powers pretty much just looked at the wars they had already planned and said, "gently caress it, that looks good." Seriously, the inciting incident lead to a war between the Austria-Hungarian Empire, allied with Germany, and Russia. While preparing to attack Russia, Germany declares war on France and ensures Britain joins the fun on the way through Belgium. Then after the war everyone agrees to set up a system that virtually ensures a sequel.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 6, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Drifter posted:

Yeah, right? Ares - actual god of war - is legit in the movie. It'll be pretty dope, I hope. I've not read Nu52 comics, but I remember there was a really good run of hers before that whole thing.

It seems like Zack Snyder is a pretty big fan of Injustice: Gods Among Us. Incidentally, Ares is a playable character in that game. I would prefer Ares to Zeus, personally, as WW's dad. Otherwise it just feels like straight up female Hercules. However, I think there's a good chance that perhaps Wonder Woman will be told that she's the daughter of Zeus only to later learn she's actually the daughter of Ares, and that's what makes her different from her sisters.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 6, 2016

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Danger posted:

Huh what? Did you mistype? Saying casualties of WWI dwarf those of the Civil War is an understatement. More people died in just the Battle of Somme than almost all of the US Civil War.

That is not the only metric. The Civil War had a unique mixture of firearms and tactics better suited for melee combat. That, combined with surgical practices that resembled carpentry more than modern surgery, and you have a recipe for a horrifying spectacle.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
But at least the Civil War was worth fighting to end slavery and unify a country while WW1 was utterly pointless.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ungulateman posted:

There's probably a cheap shot in there somewhere but I am going to give Judakel the benefit of the doubt and assume he's stupid rather than racist. Like, Gallipoli, one of the smaller and less-disastrous campaigns of WW1, had more than half as many casualties as the entire Civil War.

The Civil War was still lovely and terrible but I don't see what metric you can measure it on that makes it worse than WW1.

Familiarize yourself with the particulars of the Civil War, not just the body count.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The thing is we're dealing with Zack Snyder.

That's a funny way of spelling "Patty Jenkins."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

It seems like Zack Snyder is a pretty big fan of Injustice: Gods Among Us. Incidentally, Ares is a playable character in that game. I would prefer Ares to Zeus, personally, as WW's dad. Otherwise it just feels like straight up female Hercules. However, I think there's a good chance that perhaps Wonder Woman will be told that she's the daughter of Zeus only to later learn she's actually the daughter of Ares, and that's what makes her different from her sisters.
This is just reminding me that Marvel hasn't gotten on the boat of getting Herc and Ares into the MCU and that makes me sad :(

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

achillesforever6 posted:

This is just reminding me that Marvel hasn't gotten on the boat of getting Herc and Ares into the MCU and that makes me sad :(

They barely know how to handle Thor. Those films are consistently dull. Fantasy sci-fi like Thor seems to escape them for the time being.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Danger posted:

Huh what? Did you mistype? Saying casualties of WWI dwarf those of the Civil War is an understatement. More people died in just the Battle of Somme than almost all of the US Civil War.

I'mma let you finish, but

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Irredeemable starts out good but absolutely goes to poo poo over the course of the series. Keep your expectations low.
The biggest problem with Irredeemable is that it wusses out super quickly. The original premise is what if that ideal of Superman that a lot of us championed who's all about believing in the good in others snapped. What if that guy who loved us and we trusted just lost his loving mind.

But then it turns out that the Plutonian was always kind of a weird rear end in a top hat, and it presents a pretty depressing vision of what it's like to be Superman that just sort of takes the teeth out of everything because it's not really Superman. It's some schmuck who happened to be masquerading as Superman.

The same thing happens with his superhero buddies. It should be disquieting when they resort to siding with the tyrannical villain, but it's not because it's revealed that most of them are also assholes.

Waid just loves Superman too much to not sabotage the whole thing. Its sister comic book Incorruptible works a lot better because it reflect Waid's optimism.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ferrinus posted:

I'mma let you finish, but

Did you get a chance to rewatch MoS yet?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Judakel posted:

Did you get a chance to rewatch MoS yet?

Yes, but I'm still waiting for you to answer me in the other thread.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, but I'm still waiting for you to answer me in the other thread.

If you rewatched it, the film answered it for me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gyges posted:

Only if you're just counting the strict involvement of American troops. Otherwise WWI is very much worse than the Civil War. The Civil War gave hints as to the horrors to come with the beginnings of trench warfare, the introduction of multi-cartridge rifles, near invention of the concentration camp

Actually, american concentration camps for native americans had existed for a while.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Timby posted:

That's a funny way of spelling "Patty Jenkins."

I really do hope she has as much creative control as she needs/wants. I would just assume that the big bullet points like everyone's origins were decided way ahead of time. I have to imagine Zack Snyder had some input there.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, american concentration camps for native americans had existed for a while.

While true, we made huge strides in the development with the help of the Civil War, Spanish American War, and colonial jaunts in Cuba and the Philippines.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Snyder's biggest influence on the film is in the bookends since they need to tie into Justice League. Everything about Diana in the past is stuff that either has carried over from MacLaren developing the movie (she wanted WWI while Snyder was pushing for the Crimean War, she won out - this also suggests that early on it was clamped down that she leaves Man's World because Man's World engages in some really loving stupid pointless wars) or is Jenkins' take on the material, with Jason Fuchs bridging it all together as the screenwriter.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I really do hope she has as much creative control as she needs/wants. I would just assume that the big bullet points like everyone's origins were decided way ahead of time. I have to imagine Zack Snyder had some input there.

Charles Roven has already said they're using the New 52 iteration of Wonder Woman as her origin.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dogrunes/status/728327374564007936

:v:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Getting the power ranger's costumes to look right is tricky. You get caught in a safety where you know the origin of the show is corny and low-budget, yet you got a big budget and want to do something wicked awesome. When/If you gently caress it all up, you can just fall back on the excuse that it's supposed to be tacky.

That said, I think they look bad. I am biased toward the simplicity of the old costumes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
They would probably look better with less lines and with actual belts instead of...navel...decorations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

I think BvS states she only came back to the World of Men because she wanted to remove all traces of her being there, and get her picture back. But I could be mistaken.

Also it's not really explained how she knows that Lex has her photo, or how she intends to "get it back." Batfleck emails her a copy and she seems satisfied with that and boards a plane to leave the country which is just odd.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah she likely grows up being taught the honorable ways of the warrior or whatever but typically in WW's origin she is stuck on paradise island and largely kept on a tight leash by her mother until she does the whole "disguises herself to become champion of a tournament" after which point she is sent out into man's world as an ambassador.

You could argue that even an old school "cavalry and sword fighting" war would have still turned her stomach because of all the actual death plus dishonorable poo poo like raping and pillaging and killing children that would go on once armies got to be a certain unmanageable size. But being the first hosed up "modern" war it would likely be an even bigger culture shock.

And popping her head out every few decades to go "oh hey what's going on now? worldwide depression? the holocaust? a nuclear stand off? okay yeah I think I'll stick with Paradise Island"

Yeah I can buy that, if all she'd known was classical sword n' shield warfare and her introduction to the modern world was to plunge into the middle of WWI and witness thousands of scared, poorly trained teenagers getting mowed down by Maschinengewehr and mustard gas that'd do it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They are not gonna do a gritty trench warfare thing forget that idea, our best notion of the movie is Wonder Woman will be in Greece and there will be a cavalry skirmish against the Kaiser's forces in Greece (some kind of secret deal is going on I guess) in the woods

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yesss, my :canada: brother (or sister, etc.).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Have you read Wonder Woman Earth One? Interestingly enough, Morrison retconned Diana's birth again, and made her the offspring of Hippolyta and Hercules. Charles Roven explicitly said Zeus is Diana's father in the DCEU though, but that'd be an interesting twist if it turned out to be Ares.

I wonder how the DCEU will handle the Amazons too. Hoping they go with post-crisis lore/full mythological, having Artemis create the Amazons from the souls of women slain by men, and transferring those souls into strengthened bodies made from clay. I think it would be cool if it turns out that Diana is the only natural born Amazon in the DCEU. It'd parallel Kal-El being the last natural born Kryptonian in a way.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

teagone posted:

Have you read Wonder Woman Earth One? Interestingly enough, Morrison retconned Diana's birth again, and made her the offspring of Hippolyta and Hercules. Charles Roven explicitly said Zeus is Diana's father in the DCEU though, but that'd be an interesting twist if it turned out to be Ares.

I wonder how the DCEU will handle the Amazons too. Hoping they go with post-crisis lore/full mythological, having Artemis create the Amazons from the souls of women slain by men, and transferring those souls into strengthened bodies made from clay. I think it would be cool if it turns out that Diana is the only natural born Amazon in the DCEU. It'd parallel Kal-El being the last natural born Kryptonian in a way.

Aren't they re-retconning Diana's origin AGAIN with Rebirth?

It's especially jarring since The Legend of Wonder Woman exists and seems to be a pretty much ideal starting point for a new adaption.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I think the whole DC verse is still pretty controlled. Snyder's comments on the The Flash prove that, with his comments that Grant Gustin is a really good Flash but it doesn't suit their 'vision' of the universe so they've clearly got an idea of what they want everyone to do.

On the other hand, they also commissioned multiple Wonder Woman scripts and basically had a competition to decide the best one, which is like a staggering lack of vision. Anyway, at this point I'm much more excited for whatever Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad end up being.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AngryBooch posted:

But at least the Civil War was worth fighting to end slavery and unify a country while WW1 was utterly pointless.

And in actual Wonder Woman-related logic, I imagine WW spent most of her time in Europe, given the accent so she probably didn't get involved in the Civil War because it wasn't on her half of the ocean. But when all of that "fun" came over to the other side of the Atlantic, she got to see first hand how terrible it was on the most massive scale she could probably imagine.

And then she probably came back about 27 years later to see if anything had gotten better, heard about Hitler and the A-Bomb and just said "gently caress it" and gave up for another 65.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I dunno, you'd think that as a superhero you would think wow these people need my help more than ever, I better not vanish for a hundred years. If they find a way to justify it that makes sense then fine, but without context its an odd choice. Hell, even creatively its an odd choice because if you get your Wonder Woman sequel you have a much bigger span of time to play with.

It's an uneven show but that was one of the strengths of Agent Carter. Having Wonder Woman existing in a man's world just seems like something that's dramatically interesting.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Yoshifan823 posted:

And then she probably came back about 27 years later to see if anything had gotten better, heard about Hitler and the A-Bomb and just said "gently caress it" and gave up for another 65.

I hope that's the post-credit thing. Just Diana arriving at Berlin airport some time in the 30s and going Nope.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
WW was just pissed off about how the german army got stabbed in the back.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How is Jungle Book making so much money? :psyduck:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Josh Lyman posted:

Its a cool movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Josh Lyman posted:

It's on track to catch up to and beat Batman v Superman:

It'll probably beat it on the foreign market as well, BvS has $538m from international box offices after 41 days and The Jungle Book has $463m after just 20 days. Deadpool didn't do so great overseas and Zootopia should just fall shy of a billion overall so The Jungle Book might be the first film in 2016 to break a billion.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Josh Lyman posted:

- It's a remake of a movie old enough most people haven't seen it in cinemas.
- It's tonally different from the original but in a good way.
- It's not quite family friendly but it's the sort of thing that won't mentally scar your 8 year old like Beavis might.
- It's a Disney film.
- Jesus Christ it's been advertised out the rear end, way more than anything else this year except maybe Civil War.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DrVenkman posted:

I dunno, you'd think that as a superhero you would think wow these people need my help more than ever, I better not vanish for a hundred years. If they find a way to justify it that makes sense then fine, but without context its an odd choice. Hell, even creatively its an odd choice because if you get your Wonder Woman sequel you have a much bigger span of time to play with.

It's an uneven show but that was one of the strengths of Agent Carter. Having Wonder Woman existing in a man's world just seems like something that's dramatically interesting.

It's not her world. Steve Trevor convinces her to come on out and join the world of men, if she leaves without creating any lasting ties then it's still an alien world. We don't wonder why Batman isn't doing more to help China after all. In Batman v Superman she's even one foot out of the world of men and back to Themyscira before she sees the giant, literal, monster that needs slaying. Her warrior nature is what brings her back, while the humanity of Superman and the bravery of Batman is what keeps her here.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ungulateman posted:

- It's not quite family friendly but it's the sort of thing that won't mentally scar your 8 year old like Beavis might.

I'm curious how many kids you know have been scarred by Beavis. My fiancee teaches third grade and came home annoyed the Monday after opening because all the boys in her class couldn't stop talking about BvS.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
8 year olds want to be mentally scarred by badass poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

8 year olds want to be mentally scarred by badass poo poo.

I think I was that age when I got into horror movies so this checks out.

I miss my The Thing (80s) VHS. I wore it out :(

• Locked thread