Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Controversial opinion, I liked Oceiros

I did too. He was so weird and sad. He doesn't even acknowledge he's fighting you unless he wins, otherwise it's all about that kid he's missing. Tragic guy.

The fight itself was fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Babe Magnet posted:

:words: about PUNCHING ALL THE THINGS

So I started a fisticuffs PvE run yesterday, mostly inspired by your videos/posts.

Rules for myself were:
- Fist weapons only.
- No ranged option other than throwables - and ONLY to draw aggro. Throwing Knives and Firebombs being the go-tos.
- Pants only.
- Cool mustache.

Here's the build (only planned up to end of NG): https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/6270

The Faith/Miracle stuff was just to have something more to play around with. As of now, I have enough Faith to cast Heal. The Horse ring/Knight Slayer's are to eat as much stamina as possible from enemies. Flynn's because I am only wearing pants, so why not get the bonus for low weight? Still experimenting with rings, however. Not sure what else I will pump after NG. I guess more Stamina will be good, since I can spam L1 until everything dies.

Holy poo poo am I having fun. I've been saving videos of boss fights, but haven't had a chance to upload them yet. I did do the Dancer Glitch to start (I did this for extra health at the start, thinking I would need it - and I sorta did, but I'm confident now I could start and not get hit anywhere near as much as I did at first.)

Progress-wise, I just reached the Catacombs (so no Demon Fist yet...). Caestus is currently Heavy +4, with 36 STR. Seems to do around ~200 for an R1. Slightly less per strike for L1 spam, but see below. Here's some highlights:

- man I am WAY better at dodging now - out of sheer necessity.
- punching distance is awfully close :) This was actually my biggest problem at first - I was just whiffing because I wasn't close enough.
- two-handed L1 > R1. The L1 comes out SO fast compared to R1, so it has been my bread and butter. Not sure what will happen when I get Demon's Fist.
- spamming L1 while two-handing the caestus trivializes all but the heaviest armored enemies, and even with no points in Stamina, I can easily throw 15 punches.
- doubly so for the above if I buff with charcoal resin or any resin a particular boss/enemy is weak to.
- turtling enemies also melt. My first 4-5 punches don't do poo poo for damage, but you can bet that shield is gonna pop out of the way
- the giants in Cathedral went down like sissies. Charcoal resin, spam L1 at their ankles. Probably didn't take two full stamina bars.
- Watchers has been the trickiest boss so far, since they are actually fast enough to roll away from my L1 spam. I can still interrupt 90% of their attacks, tho.
- the Demon above the Watchdogs bonfire is NOT the one you get Demon's Fist for. :( But.....he ded.

So yeah....super fun run. Only thing I do miss is a parry. Once I get Demon's Fist I will see if I like that better while keeping the caestus in my left hand for parrying.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Level 101 at Nameless King, am I too low for summons? Not finding anything around door

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I read the Stormruler's item description while dodging Yhorm at the same time :smug:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's cool that you're having fun with fists! I also had my most fun in DS2 with the Caesti, it's good that they still own.

While we're on the subject...
- Anyone else wonder why you get the Claws so late? Because Bleed is now better or what? I didn't figure those would be the "need to be protected by hosed up slime things in one of the post-Dancer areas" items but there you go
- Manikin Claws seem straight better? Need more Dex and maybe heavier (haven't checked), but more base damage and maybe similar scaling?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would've liked if the trick with Yhorm was staggering him once and then he drops the sword, this does two things. It makes the item drop way more important visually because it dropped in the middle of a boss fight that isn't taking much damage relatively, and it makes Seigward rather interesting as he automatically staggers with his first big swing so you get yours pretty fast. Possibly even have it sticking out of him until he falls down and it comes dislodged, which shows that someone tried to hit Yhorm with it and failed so you hopefully think that maybe the goal is to do something else with it.

Another option is make the fight like the First Giant in the Cathedral, but as an actual fight where you're up on the ledge and have to dodge around Yhorm swinging his massive goddamn cleaver at you. Have the sword be at the far end of the shelf you fight on and use the opening cutscene to show it as important. Certainly having Yhorm be really hard to physically damage like the original version of the fight would make the fact that there's something going on with the fight.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Level 101 at Nameless King, am I too low for summons? Not finding anything around door
It seems more like nobody likes fighting NK, so people go for summons signs the second they appear and also very few people want to help with that boss in the first place.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

I, Butthole posted:

I was getting summoned a ton at level 100 at the area. Actually getting phantoms to help me was a different story. They were getting snatched up real fast.

Does Rosaria let you change your appearance/name or just stats?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

I, Butthole posted:

Nah just keep trying or if you're on PC I can help you. I think I've soloed him 4 times now.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
For my next run I'm going to be doing a Ranged only (no magic) build. So its gonna be bow crossbow and every throwing object I can get my hands on. I hope there are enough arrows to beat bosses :ohdear:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Rough Lobster posted:

Does Rosaria let you change your appearance/name or just stats?

Appearance and stats only.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Did anyone ever figure out how people get Knight past the filter? I swear to god people are getting pas the filter on purpose while leaving other words censored I saw gently caress W**re earlier

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Szcwczuk posted:

Nah just keep trying or if you're on PC I can help you. I think I've soloed him 4 times now.

Ps4, solo I'm having a hard enough time getting past Storm. Looks like I saved the worst boss for last.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I found the King of Storms to be pretty easy as long as you solo him. Nameless King is hard but sticking right next to him and strafing constantly seems to be his weakness. High lightning resist shield will block his lightning bolt bullshit.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

These things were considerably cooler prerelease, when I didn't know they were awful spellcasters.
The only thing referring to them seems to be a magazine article calling them "Dirty beasts digging for souls beneath the swamp".

The Dark Id posted:

I'm going around cleaning out everything I missed the first time through. So what's the deal in the Grand Archives with the tower at the very top of the place with the winged fat knights, the giant cage hang from the ceiling beneath it, and the one Rosaria worm dude mage hanging out in the rafters? I feel like there's some weird story I'm missing up in that tower.
Since this wasn't answered, this all revolves around Gertrude the Heavenly Daughter. It's only communicated through miracles and some enemy drops, specifically the Winged Knight armor sets.
Gertrude was a maiden to the queen, rumored to be her daughter, that was visited by an "angel". This caused her to lose her sight and speaking, but despite being blind and mute, she somehow transcribed the encounter. While few people can comprehend it, those who did pledged themselves to the worship of "angels". However, Lothric's three pillars (knights, scholars, priestesses) forbade this and decried worship of them as heresy. They locked her up in the Grand Archives (the bird cage).
Presumably, the fat winged knights you see everywhere are her followers (they use Divine Pillars of Light, the miracle she created) who somehow grew wings through their faith, and they stormed Lothric Castle (their corpses are found near a lot of Lothric Knights in the High Wall, and vice versa). Oddly enough, there's feathers all over the cage, and feathers all over the arena of Lothric and Lorian.

Most of this is pretty concrete. From there, I have no clue what her final fate is. There's a charred up corpse in the cage, and the worm guy just makes no sense to me in regards to placement. The popular running theory is that she's the Dancer of the Boreal Valley, whose soul says she's from a royal family and lets you make a miracle pertaining to Gwynevere, which assumes that the Pontiff was the "angel" since he has weird wings in his second form.

HGH fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 6, 2016

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

HaB posted:

So I started a fisticuffs PvE run yesterday, mostly inspired by your videos/posts.

Rules for myself were:
- Fist weapons only.
- No ranged option other than throwables - and ONLY to draw aggro. Throwing Knives and Firebombs being the go-tos.
- Pants only.
- Cool mustache.

Here's the build (only planned up to end of NG): https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/6270

The Faith/Miracle stuff was just to have something more to play around with. As of now, I have enough Faith to cast Heal. The Horse ring/Knight Slayer's are to eat as much stamina as possible from enemies. Flynn's because I am only wearing pants, so why not get the bonus for low weight? Still experimenting with rings, however. Not sure what else I will pump after NG. I guess more Stamina will be good, since I can spam L1 until everything dies.

Holy poo poo am I having fun. I've been saving videos of boss fights, but haven't had a chance to upload them yet. I did do the Dancer Glitch to start (I did this for extra health at the start, thinking I would need it - and I sorta did, but I'm confident now I could start and not get hit anywhere near as much as I did at first.)

Progress-wise, I just reached the Catacombs (so no Demon Fist yet...). Caestus is currently Heavy +4, with 36 STR. Seems to do around ~200 for an R1. Slightly less per strike for L1 spam, but see below. Here's some highlights:

- punching distance is awfully close :) This was actually my biggest problem at first - I was just whiffing because I wasn't close enough.
- two-handed L1 > R1. The L1 comes out SO fast compared to R1, so it has been my bread and butter. Not sure what will happen when I get Demon's Fist.
- spamming L1 while two-handing the caestus trivializes all but the heaviest armored enemies, and even with no points in Stamina, I can easily throw 15 punches.
- doubly so for the above if I buff with charcoal resin or any resin a particular boss/enemy is weak to.
- turtling enemies also melt. My first 4-5 punches don't do poo poo for damage, but you can bet that shield is gonna pop out of the way
- the giants in Cathedral went down like sissies. Charcoal resin, spam L1 at their ankles. Probably didn't take two full stamina bars.
- Watchers has been the trickiest boss so far, since they are actually fast enough to roll away from my L1 spam. I can still interrupt 90% of their attacks, tho.
- the Demon above the Watchdogs bonfire is NOT the one you get Demon's Fist for. :( But.....he ded.

So yeah....super fun run. Only thing I do miss is a parry. Once I get Demon's Fist I will see if I like that better while keeping the caestus in my left hand for parrying.

Hello I also have been running a punchfist run with some sorta bad Gene cosplay because there's no good tops that fit :mad:

I'd definitely recommend getting more stamina, the demon fist is pretty hungry for that so you can pull from vitality to keep upder 25% if you want. Being able to parry definitely made it more enjoyable while getting past Pontiff and trying some peeve certainly did NOT when everybody's usin ultra greatswords twohanded

Pelican Dunderhead fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 6, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I wanted to use a fist weapon in my offhand for parrying but then I saw that the fist weapon for the other hand shows up on your character model's belt which ruins my Fashion Souls so its back to rolling around like an idiot for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said earlier that I was going through Demon's Souls for the first time. We started as Royal, because why not, and my friend starts talking about how the Not Asylum Demon will instantly paste me then starts laughing at the world's limpest axe swing (which still hit me six tries later lmao). Then we died to Skele-kirks to get the crescent falchion he remembered was a thing, then died in the tower of latria a lot getting the fluted set that was only 8 defense stronger than the wizard robes but required us to level endurance like eight times.

It still plays amazingly well, but man it's babytown frolics compared to DS1, 2, and 3. The UI sure improved over the years too. :haw:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So when they said they relaxed the failure requirement for Sirris' quest, did they mean that you can talk to Rosaria enough to either respec or maybe summon Heysel for her gesture, etc? I want the sunset armor on this character, so I don't want to fail her quest yet.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr Dog posted:

what's it like in opposites world

it has bad vertical reach so staggering the dragon is v irritating

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh also my friend is realizing he never did pvp because he never wasn't a ghost and also didn't realize he picked up the Not White Soapstone lmao. Though we're offline anyway.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

HnK416 posted:

I'm fairly certain that if you connect via passwords then SL and upgrade doesn't matter.

Upgrades still matter; the +/- 2 counts so if your new character just starting out tries to drop say, a +10 weapon, they aren't going to be able to see it.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the point of +0? Given the way matchmaking works, shouldn't you raise your weapon to at least +2?

I've tried being a blue cop with +2 and +0, but for some reason I got more summons at +0? I dunno; obviously this is very anecdotal but when you're making an alt specifically to blue cop / help blue cops in Undead Settlement, I'm just trying to see the max amount of activity (which as I understand it, should be +2 :smith:)....

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HaB posted:

Rules for myself were:
- Fist weapons only.
- Pants only.
- Cool mustache.

Yeah dude, The Way of the Closed Fist is so fun, despite not being as face-melting as most other builds. It's just so personal and aggressive, it feels really good and it's a blast to play.

PvE stuff melts, all of your points are spot-on as far as my experience goes. My tooting of the R1's horn was mostly PvP related, L1 is definitely the name of the game when it comes to busting down NPCs, you just have to be careful about spamming it so you don't get caught in a hyper-armor move like the ones bosses like to use.

e: if you miss parries, try holding your caestus in your offhand, because that makes its weapon art a parry when you're one-handing it. You have to get use to switching handing on the fly, though.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 6, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Weirdly enough, I feel more fragile in DS3 than I do in Bloodborne. So many enemies can three-shot you from 1300 HP in the late game. In Bloodborne, I felt like I could take more punches than that. Maybe it's just a perception thing--I expect to take lots of damage per hit in Bloodborne because I'm not wearing real armor, and I can heal very quickly and have lots of healing to use, plus I can regain it by staying aggressive. Each hit in DS3's late game feels like a minor catastrophe.

Bloodborne is designed like this, you're meant to trade hits and heal through rally.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Yorhm is just a dumb fight no matter how you look at it. Gimmick bosses can be okay when they are still fun to fight even when you know the gimmick. Yorhm isn't fun to fight. Either you plink away doing barely any damage or you use your anime bullshit to stunlock him for an effortless kill. The fact that its a pale imitation of a fight from Demon's Souls for no apparent reason just makes it even worse.

Seriously, if you don't know about the fight from Demon's Souls, marvel at how it manages to be better than this similar fight made 3 games later; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyVwlOhNT3g

I think Storm King is still the biggest boss in this whole series too.

I love that there are so many explicit Demon's Souls callbacks in Dark Souls 3.

That said, there are two things that I don't think I would've figured out if I hadn't played Demon's Souls and that would have made me really pissy. The first were the leeches in the Cathedral of the Deep. Assuming you're not checking every message on the ground--plenty of "try torch" messages there--you're never going to figure out that equipping a torch removes the leeches. But if you've played Demon's Souls, you might guess it because you could take fire damage to remove the leeches in the Leechmonger fight.

And the second is Stormruler. That immediately tipped me off that I wasn't going to be able to damage the boss without it, so I quickly switched and started messing around with the buttons and beat Yhorm first try. If I hadn't played Demon's Souls, though, I would've for sure died in frustration the first time, and I'm with everyone who says that a boss should be theoretically beatable on the first try. Yhorm is a really cool boss and boss fight arena that, like you point out, just isn't very fun.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Bloodborne is designed like this, you're meant to trade hits and heal through rally.

Yeah, exactly. The idea that you're supposed to take hits sometimes and rally, and that you're able to move just as quickly and "twitchy" as the enemies can, means that I don't really feel as fragile in it, even if I am. In Dark Souls 3 I feel like I'm made of glass.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Lotish posted:

So when they said they relaxed the failure requirement for Sirris' quest, did they mean that you can talk to Rosaria enough to either respec or maybe summon Heysel for her gesture, etc? I want the sunset armor on this character, so I don't want to fail her quest yet.
What it means is that the failure condition has now become "Give Rosaria a tongue". You can do other actions safely I believe.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God drat it now I want to play Demon's Souls again. I wish my PS3 still worked.

Something tells me I'm going to buy a PS3 just to play Demon's Souls before the summer's over.

HGH posted:

What it means is that the failure condition has now become "Give Rosaria a tongue". You can do other actions safely I believe.

Oh, cool, that's what I hoped.

I'm fine with the idea that Sirris has a faction she hates and being an active member of that faction should sour her on you. But it did suck that you couldn't respec without pissing off Sirris. Glad I can do that in NG+ and still follow Sirris's quest line.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 6, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah, exactly. The idea that you're supposed to take hits sometimes and rally, and that you're able to move just as quickly and "twitchy" as the enemies can, means that I don't really feel as fragile in it, even if I am. In Dark Souls 3 I feel like I'm made of glass.

The point is that you're not fragile in bloodborne. You can tank a bunch of hits to heal through poo poo. Dark Souls is about avoiding and mitigating damage, making you much squishier. Especially in this one, due to poise being turned off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Paul Zuvella posted:

I stopped doing that after how dangerous it became, but the rune that healed you on visceral attacks was a mainstay.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Sinbad my warrior from the far east.

Finally got his claws.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 6, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I stopped doing that after how dangerous it became, but the rune that healed you on visceral attacks was a mainstay.

That rune and the one that gives you bullets on a visceral attack are my favorites.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The point is that you're not fragile in bloodborne. You can tank a bunch of hits to heal through poo poo. Dark Souls is about avoiding and mitigating damage, making you much squishier. Especially in this one, due to poise being turned off.

Point taken. I suppose it would make sense that I don't feel fragile in Bloodborne because, well, I'm not :v:

Having poise in DS3 in some form would go a long way towards alleviating some of the frustration I feel with the player's vulnerability. All of the Souls games have been about avoiding and mitigating damage with dodges and shields, but this one is extra-punishing when you do get hit, and makes blocking things with your shield a way worse option than it used to be (unless you're rocking tons of Stamina and a heavily-upgraded greatshield).

I finished the game and really liked it but the amount of times I got stunlocked to death by random normal enemies was pretty frustrating.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any trick to those fat angel motherfuckers on top of the Archives

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Zombies' Downfall posted:

"You're invincible while backstabbing "was my method of choice. Also the roof is big enough to separate them so that you have to fight two at once at most. Careful pulling with ranged attacks is of course also advised.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Lotish posted:

Yeah, but

[Bishop Badass' Bigass Banhammer]

is pretty cool.

OK - point taken.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

The Rapport pyromancy is ridiculously effective when fighting them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Try to separate them. It's possible to break them apart and fight them individually, though you should be prepared for a merry chase to try to get to the point where only one is still following you. On their own they're not so bad.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Shields in DS3 seem a lot more useful than they did in DS2 actually. You can shieldtank Sulyvahn with a medium shield just fine as long as you let your stamina recharge from time to time. DS2 shield stability was garbage and DS2's greatshield bash attacks were comically bad. Don't know how effective greatshield bash is in DS3 though, I've never tried using them.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:cop: Im a few steps closer to that sweet darkmoon blade. Soon, I will have all the miracles.

gently caress I have to get rank 2 sun bro-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lotish posted:

It's safe to re-spec and change your appearance now, only giving Rosaria a tongue to level up the covenant will end the Sirris story line. However that's the requirement for getting Heysel to appear as a friendly phantom so you have to choose either the gesture or Sunset Armor until NG+.