Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

There are usually laws like no sleeping in your car (dumb)

municipalities in the bay area started passing these ordinances in order to get rid of the RV people and the ones that haven't (yet) like mountain view now have the RV population concentrated there where they now occupy entire blocks of on-street parking - it was pretty crazy to see when we first moved there

in san jose the homeless outreach group PATH provides permanent housing in the downtown area which i'd love to see more of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Remember that time the town of West, Texas physically blew up because of low regulations LMAO

Texas is a disgrace. I am SHOCKED that an innovative company like Jamba Juice LLC would stoop so low.

San Bruno does :v:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Remember that time the town of West, Texas physically blew up because of low regulations LMAO

Texas is a disgrace. I am SHOCKED that an innovative company like Jamba Juice LLC would stoop so low.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

And yet we still don't manage to have anything as bad as this...

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol that article compares the environmental impact to the BP oilspill in terms of global warming

which i suppose would be a little more genuine since no humans were killed in the methane leak

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Xaris posted:

Thanks Reagan

Well here in Hawaii, we have lots of programs and place for the financially and socially destitute.There's also the very poor, but they live in small camps on the more rural parts of the island.
Our main problem is that there's really no place to put junkies and crazies since we don't really have any large scale mental health hospitals anymore due to deinstitutionalisation. The US's prison population as a whole has got much larger though.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lol

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

amuayse posted:

Question: How does Cali deal with homeless? I live in Hawaii, which is the homeless capital of the US and we don't really have any vagrancy laws.

They don't, take the Amtrak out of San Diego and you'll see several tent cities.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Teflon Don posted:

They don't, take the Amtrak out of San Diego and you'll see several tent cities.

LA is littered with them, from Skid Row to the 710 corridor to Santa Monica. It's only been getting worse since the rent is getting catastrophically high and millions of people are one missed paycheck away from living in a box.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Drive into LA on the 110 and when you get to that part where there are a bunch of bridges over you, every bridge is filled with tents. It's depressing and frightening. There but for the grace of god, you know?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Drive into LA on the 110 and when you get to that part where there are a bunch of bridges over you, every bridge is filled with tents. It's depressing and frightening. There but for the grace of god, you know?
For a month or so they were dotted with these cute little Small Homes that an artist/activist installed for the homeless.

Then Garcetti decided gently caress that and had them all rounded up and destroyed. It was much nicer seeing little houses instead of tents on the drive down to LAX.

Like a part of didn't feel like a terrible gently caress about the homeless crisis because oh look a cute perriwinkle minihome!

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Does anyone have any clear guides to Prop 50? I just got my voter information guide and I'm having trouble parsing the arguments for and against it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This is agent Smith to Alpha Control.

How should I vote this election?

Comrade Smith out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ghost emoji posted:

Does anyone have any clear guides to Prop 50? I just got my voter information guide and I'm having trouble parsing the arguments for and against it.

I like pete rates the props. He has recommendations which I usually agree with but he tells you very explicitly his reasoning so you can take or reject it.
http://www.peterates.com/props-0616.shtml#prop50

Voters Edge and Ballotopedia are good for a more overall, balanced view.
http://www.votersedge.org/en/ca/ballot/election/area/39/measures/measure/1850?id=ocd-division/country:us/state:ca
https://ballotpedia.org/California_Suspension_of_Legislators_Amendment,_Proposition_50_(June_2016)

Shbobdb posted:

This is agent Smith to Alpha Control.

How should I vote this election?

Comrade Smith out.

:ninja:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ghost emoji posted:

At first glance, I'm with the NO argument on this one. There's expulsion, there's recall, all of these are political tools, not disciplinary tools. Suspension without pay for an indictment seems disciplinary and I'm not really digging that for reps. If you have an issue with their behavior, vote them out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's weird that parliamentary procedure like this needs to be in the state's constitution in detail. At the federal level, the senate and congress manage their affairs without having their rules written into the constitution in detail.

That said, it seems to be how state constitutions work - especially California's. And the bodies absolutely need to have the tools to censure members with action that is less than permanent expulsion but more than just a strongly-worded letter. If the constituents don't like having their voting representative penalized (and prohibited from voting) they should recall him; but if the charges are bogus, it'll be tough to get 2/3s of the body to vote for action anyway.

So basically I think I'll vote for it, but in the larger context, I'd like to see the state move towards a more open constitution that permits governing bodies to self-regulate a little more freely.

e. then again, managing their affairs freely is how we get senate majorities perennially threatening to use the "nuclear option" to get rid of the fillibuster. So it's not exactly a panacea.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
From what I can tell all Prop 50 does is establish a procedure and guidelines for the suspension of a legislator, instead of letting them make it up as they go. The rules don't seem to be that terrible either:
1. Requires 2/3rds vote
2. Requires a stated, bona fide reason for suspension

It still seems to give the legislature discretion in the term of the suspension & withholding of pay, but I feel like it's better than nothing.

Edit: Also I finally got my voter information guide and I'm not sure who I like better - the green party lady who just put a link to her facebook page, or the scrawny independent white guy that just wrote a line of binary.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 7, 2016

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

So what are the odds we end up with Harris and Sanchez as the Senate nominees in the general? And how will people respond when the jungle primary system finally puts up two candidates from the same party for a statewide office?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Litany Unheard posted:

So what are the odds we end up with Harris and Sanchez as the Senate nominees in the general? And how will people respond when the jungle primary system finally puts up two candidates from the same party for a statewide office?

I think it's pretty likely and it certainly helps Sanchez' prospects in the general which sucks.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Sydin posted:

From what I can tell all Prop 50 does is establish a procedure and guidelines for the suspension of a legislator, instead of letting them make it up as they go. The rules don't seem to be that terrible either:
1. Requires 2/3rds vote
2. Requires a stated, bona fide reason for suspension

It still seems to give the legislature discretion in the term of the suspension & withholding of pay, but I feel like it's better than nothing.

Edit: Also I finally got my voter information guide and I'm not sure who I like better - the green party lady who just put a link to her facebook page, or the scrawny independent white guy that just wrote a line of binary.

I like the lady who talked about mind control.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

amuayse posted:

Well here in Hawaii, we have lots of programs and place for the financially and socially destitute.There's also the very poor, but they live in small camps on the more rural parts of the island.
Our main problem is that there's really no place to put junkies and crazies since we don't really have any large scale mental health hospitals anymore due to deinstitutionalisation. The US's prison population as a whole has got much larger though.

I would describe California exactly the same way.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

That's kind of a weak relationship you're trying to make. Beyond the actual events, the government and societal response to them matters too As far as I know, some politicians introduced potential laws in Texas a couple years after the fact, but I've yet to see any actual change.

Plus as far as I know, the issue with the gas leak in CA stemmed from lack of oversight back in the 70s where a safety valve was removed and never replaced.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

AngryBooch posted:

I think it's pretty likely and it certainly helps Sanchez' prospects in the general which sucks.
This big time. Sanchez has a great story but can't seem to stop making oddly racist comments. It will certainly be an interesting contest.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

They say it's arson now actually.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

They say it's arson now actually.

The lack of regulations and failure to follow regulations still were big causes of the loss of life.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So John Chiang is also running for governor now

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Chiang stood up against Schwarzenegger each time he tried to do pay cuts, but beyond that I am not sure of his political positions.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Suhr is out as SF police chief, as SFPD seemingly can't stop gunning down black people.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kobayashi posted:

Suhr is out as SF police chief, as SFPD seemingly can't stop gunning down black people.

It's like Pringles. Once you've tried it, it would be endangering our police impossible to stop. In the first news reports of that shooting, the cop tried to claim quite seriously that he'd been physically -- as opposed to morally -- threatened by the cellphone the victim was holding in her hand.

IllIllIll
Feb 17, 2012
Christ remind me never to read SF chronicle comments on police related stories.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

IllIllIll posted:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

IllIllIll posted:

You've only got one faith in mankind to lose.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Someone had posted voter guides earlier in this thread but I'm having trouble finding them. One was ballotpedia I believe. Anyone else have good ones for Cali so I don't have to think before I vote?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Markorjoshua posted:

Someone had posted voter guides earlier in this thread but I'm having trouble finding them. One was ballotpedia I believe. Anyone else have good ones for Cali so I don't have to think before I vote?

It was on this same page

FCKGW posted:

I like pete rates the props. He has recommendations which I usually agree with but he tells you very explicitly his reasoning so you can take or reject it.
http://www.peterates.com/props-0616.shtml#prop50

Voters Edge and Ballotopedia are good for a more overall, balanced view.
http://www.votersedge.org/en/ca/ballot/election/area/39/measures/measure/1850?id=ocd-division/country:us/state:ca
https://ballotpedia.org/California_Suspension_of_Legislators_Amendment,_Proposition_50_(June_2016)

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

FCKGW posted:

It was on this same page

Thanks!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
HSR has been delayed four years. You'll now have to wait for 2022 to get from Merced to Bakersfield.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

IllIllIll posted:

I've got a bunch of FB friends on and around the SJPD and they're absolutely losing their poo poo. "The criminals have won" is the general refrain.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

This is one of the funniest political cartoons I've ever seen

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

HSR has been delayed four years. You'll now have to wait for 2022 to get from Merced to Bakersfield.

HSR would be such a boon to California and the country in general that it frustrates me to no end that I keep seeing this. Though it seems a lot of the delays and costs are from the legal battles that came out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah not having a personal income tax means raising money through less progressive means.

It does make a good right wing talking point about the people's republic of California