Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

CainFortea posted:

Join any sig that even makes you go "huh, what's this?"

Then you find out if you like it. Eve is a lot like that in general. Do poo poo that seems interesting, find out later if you were right.

Also most communication now happens on jabber and mumble. If you are ever going "wtf" you can hop on theta mumble channel and ask there. You don't need to be in a sig for that.

Cool. I'll try being a little more pro-active this time.

edit: On another note, is that 60 days plan the only option for a noob? I want to shoot colorful lasors. :gifttank:

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pigbottom posted:

Cool. I'll try being a little more pro-active this time.

edit: On another note, is that 60 days plan the only option for a noob? I want to shoot colorful lasors. :gifttank:

It's not the only option. It's just a very efficient option.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My theory is that DBRB is Goonswarm Federation's version of Jerry Lewis: Euros think he's funny for some unknown reason.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

CommonShore posted:

My theory is that DBRB is Goonswarm Federation's version of Jerry Lewis: Euros think he's funny for some unknown reason.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

ullerrm posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same...boat :cawg:

DBRB fleets are generally fun and silly and low stress.

tolerable but prefer not to......

warr is much better but they cannot compare

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There could be a guaranteed full officer fit titan kill with a titan being piloted by either SirMolle or Elise and I wouldn't go if it's a boat fleet.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm going to chime in on this because I'm still super salty about it all. We actually did that when I moved us into providence and it was fairly good. But more on Topgoon because it's my favorite topic to be really angry about.

Topgoon was fine doing what it was doing before Theadj gutted it, and then atrophied it by sending us to garbage regions. The only thing topgoon needed was more than one person who counted as adult supervision. Treph to a degree, but mostly Sothrasil and Guuldan were completely incapable of just having fun and killing nerds without doing something completely retarded, and getting in dick measuring contests with directors/FC's and generally causing hell. Someone absolutely had to be there to watch them like hawks. Guuldan literally had blackops drop on him because he was loving with their camp and I had to pause a movie I was watching with my girlfriend to deal with that. That's loving ridiculous.

Despite these awful loving people being the cause of 100% of my problems, Theadj laid the blame squarly on Trephs head (Mind you he had been gone for two weeks because he just had another hellspawn) and would not let me get rid of these loving misfits.

You want cult of personality bullshit? Soth is your loving man. That dude literally spent 3 hours crowing about how he had the keys to the FC channels and no one else did, because he was ~special~, he even had this long spiel about how he was more important than I was because he had those keys. Not realizing that Theadj had passed me those selfsame keys long before, amongst other things, but to me it was just a tool in my bag should I need it, not some ~thing~ to be lorded over my fellow pilots.

Cult of personality attention whore FCs should be shitcanned no matter how badly you need FCs at any given time. There are always other people who might be willing to step up, especially if they don't have to deal with king poo poo of turd mountain.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Foehammer007 posted:

Or are you going to cry again

what

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I made a half hearted attempt to kill boat earlier but he burned out of my fighters missile range before I could volley him.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

You know exactly what he means.

:reddit:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

RhoA posted:

You know exactly what he means.

:reddit:

nah

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Shocker.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
oh no :ohdear:
http://i.imgur.com/wpTWHAn.webm

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Stay warm puppers.

harlyq
May 9, 2014

The taint is real

That's a cute puppy. Is their a second one by chance up for loving, caring, eating me out of house and home adoption?

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Ok I'm a lazy bum and I know nothing about carriers, so how these new drones and squadrons work? What's the big deal about the "space superiority" ones? They're good at killing drones and subcaps but poo poo at killing bigboats and caps?

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm going to chime in on this because I'm still super salty about it all. We actually did that when I moved us into providence and it was fairly good. But more on Topgoon because it's my favorite topic to be really angry about.

Topgoon was fine doing what it was doing before Theadj gutted it, and then atrophied it by sending us to garbage regions. The only thing topgoon needed was more than one person who counted as adult supervision. Treph to a degree, but mostly Sothrasil and Guuldan were completely incapable of just having fun and killing nerds without doing something completely retarded, and getting in dick measuring contests with directors/FC's and generally causing hell. Someone absolutely had to be there to watch them like hawks. Guuldan literally had blackops drop on him because he was loving with their camp and I had to pause a movie I was watching with my girlfriend to deal with that. That's loving ridiculous.

Despite these awful loving people being the cause of 100% of my problems, Theadj laid the blame squarly on Trephs head (Mind you he had been gone for two weeks because he just had another hellspawn) and would not let me get rid of these loving misfits.

You want cult of personality bullshit? Soth is your loving man. That dude literally spent 3 hours crowing about how he had the keys to the FC channels and no one else did, because he was ~special~, he even had this long spiel about how he was more important than I was because he had those keys. Not realizing that Theadj had passed me those selfsame keys long before, amongst other things, but to me it was just a tool in my bag should I need it, not some ~thing~ to be lorded over my fellow pilots.

Confirming those dudes amazingly awful. I joined topgoon way at the end when it consisted of them and maybe 5 more people. Some dude in jabber asked why topgoon was almost dead and where everyone went. Soth's reply was that topgoon's only problem was that it's FCs were too good for merely sig work and would rather spend their time doing mainfleet. Even having joined the day before it was perfectly obvious he was talking in 3rd person. Two hours later he joined mumble to "backseat" guuldan's 5 man gatecamp. That consisted of him being a passive aggressive shitlord and sighing whenever guuldan did something dumb (every 3 minutes). Whenever guuldan asked what he did wrong soth would say something useful like: "Well, if you have to ask maybe you shouldn't FC?"

you feelin fucky fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 7, 2016

harlyq
May 9, 2014

The taint is real

AAPsel posted:

Confirming those dudes amazingly awful. I joined topgoon way at the end when it consisted of them and maybe 5 more people. Some dude in jabber asked why topgoon was almost dead and where everyone went. Soth's reply was that topgoon's only problem was that it's FCs were too good for merely sig work and would rather spend their time doing mainfleet. Even having joined the day before it was perfectly obvious he was talking in 3rd person. Two hours later he joined mumble to "backseat" guuldan's 5 man gatecamp. That consisted of him being a passive aggressive shitlord and sighing whenever guuldan did something dumb (every 3 minutes). Whenever guuldan asked what he did wrong soth would say something useful like: "Well, if you have to ask maybe you shouldn't FC?"

That sounds like soth back in February before my pc died and I won eve.

bangers and hash
Sep 27, 2003
Obligatory custom title.
My favorite Sothrasil story is the time he let the entire logged off TEST carrier fleet that was trapped in bubble hell log in and escape because he wanted to take the fleet meant to guard it and chase after a Rooks and Kings blops. 6 bombers came in and cleared all the bubbles, then they logged in and jumped out. Apparently asking one time in GSFC for a Wolf fleet is good enough and totally means you can go gently caress off and not worry about bubbled Archons or something.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

harlyq posted:

That sounds like soth back in February before my pc died and I won eve.

How's your arsehole?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

AAPsel posted:

The entertaining bit about this, is Soth was the one that had no clue how to run a cloak camp. He'd have retarded poo poo uncloaked all over the gate.

EDIT: In fact you should also keep him the gently caress away from EFT because he's terrible at fitting ships too.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ad by Khad posted:

Umokka was a disaster today, but we still ended up finding a way to have an impromptu mining op even without you VG.

Like VG says, "enjoy yourselves, friends! You are all valued and you are all wonderful!"

I am very glad. I cannot always be around because my EVE capable machine doesn't always travel with me but it makes me happy that RVCMF continues to mine and be chill in my absence :3:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

dragonstalking posted:

Anyways your fit is bad because :lol: at spending that amount of dosh on a throwaway cap; you know that ancillary is like a bil on its own right? I'm rich but I'm not Xolve-rich.

Haven't even upgraded my cap fits yet.

Also- Phoenixes are scrub tier, get a Nag or Rev.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Rhymenoserous posted:

The entertaining bit about this, is Soth was the one that had no clue how to run a cloak camp. He'd have retarded poo poo uncloaked all over the gate.

EDIT: In fact you should also keep him the gently caress away from EFT because he's terrible at fitting ships too.

Hey be nice. I like Soth.

harlyq
May 9, 2014

The taint is real

Oodles posted:

How's your arsehole?

My arsehole never been better. I think you refer to my taint the part between your but hole and your balls. That is doing better also no longer a mini vagina hole.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

VideoGames posted:

I am very glad. I cannot always be around because my EVE capable machine doesn't always travel with me but it makes me happy that RVCMF continues to mine and be chill in my absence :3:

That system I had my eye on turned out to be a wonderful mining haven that I think you will like. I sent you some mail with the details but basically it's a quiet set of systems still close to Jita, still close to Saranen, still in Lonetrek. I moved my miners there thinking it would be temporary until Umokka's belts recovered but then most of RVCMF followed me here!

harlyq
May 9, 2014

The taint is real

Zephyrine posted:

Aw I see he has a ringing endorsement.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

He was actually really nice to me too and spent 30 minutes walking me through bombing on a jumpbridge because I was dumb and new. He just shouldn't be in the position he's in.

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

Xolve posted:

Haven't even upgraded my cap fits yet.

Also- Phoenixes are scrub tier, get a Nag or Rev.

The Nag is kinda poo poo, unless you're in a WH. Phoenix is a far 2nd from the Rev now, but still 2nd.

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

froody guy posted:

Ok I'm a lazy bum and I know nothing about carriers, so how these new drones and squadrons work?

You can move them manually to anywhere on the grid you want, they have their own set of modules that can be activated, they wreck anything they touch, and they are paper-thin to anything shooting them.

froody guy posted:

What's the big deal about the "space superiority" ones? They're good at killing drones and subcaps but poo poo at killing bigboats and caps?

You use them to kill other fighters and I guess you could use them on drones. I wouldn't recommend using them on subcaps, not fast enough or do enough DPS.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Soth is nice and one of the most helpful people I have encountered when it comes to FCing poo poo properly. He didn't know what he was doing with Top Gooniversity, though. Still, the man tried and at the end of the day, he is a dude having fun playing internet spaceships and is often helping others have fun, so I have much respect for him. If you want to turn that into pointless drama, perhaps you need to rethink your life.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Soth. Notably chill-good German with a British accent.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I joined rock chill Bros last night and mined some plagioclase and pyrox. Realized that I can fly t2. mining barges, but I can only use regular strip miners and mining upgrades.

I'm trying to get up to level 4 missions and currently have 2 characters at my disposal. One can currently do Caldari l3's, but the other has no rep. He can fly Amarr and Minmatar ships. Either of those faction missions better?

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009
Soth wasn't even logged in to the game when he was making GBS threads on guuldan. He just kept bitching until guuldan quit, then logged in and took over the fleet. It made me never join soth's fleets again despite how nice he has been to me personally.

He can be both a nice person and unsuitable for leadership. People aren't one dimensional. Shocking.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

dragonstalking posted:

The Nag is kinda poo poo, unless you're in a WH. Phoenix is a far 2nd from the Rev now, but still 2nd.

Not everyone uses caps as part of a 1000 man dick swinging contest so you're wrong about that, I'd rather a nag or a moros for a quick gank or small cap fight due to the higher dps for the small drop in EHP

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think sothrasil is the FC who had a hissy fit cause people were telling him freemove was not on and he kept telling everyone to take squad command positions. He then had a "I'm very important in internet spaceships" moment.

Luckily, this had taken like 5 minutes and everyone was still on the undock so I got the gently caress out of that poo poo show.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Soth got bored in fleet and went off and murdered the enemy offgrid booster. Because.... why not. No one else was going to do it.

harlyq
May 9, 2014

The taint is real

CainFortea posted:

I think sothrasil is the FC who had a hissy fit cause people were telling him freemove was not on and he kept telling everyone to take squad command positions. He then had a "I'm very important in internet spaceships" moment.

Luckily, this had taken like 5 minutes and everyone was still on the undock so I got the gently caress out of that poo poo show.

Soth has a lot of those self important moments. I could swear in one conversation he was able to bring up "didn't you know I'm an fc"15 times on mumble was ridiculous.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ad by Khad posted:

e: I shouldn't leave out Groon either. I don't know if they take newbies though?

We love newbies. We love them lots and wish to press them to our space bosom. Be cute, a bittervet will throw isk at you, give you a skillplan, and maybe mentor you. I think we still have that going.

Also last night was p. cool. killed a lawn fleet that outmanned us (And probably outcomped to be fair), murdered a tinkerhell cyno cane out from under the drop, and hosed up killing Suas' machariel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

CainFortea posted:

It's not the only option. It's just a very efficient option.

I'm not sure it's necessarily well suited to our current situation. The 60-day plan seems to be targeted towards getting people core skills as well as the basic skills to rat - very Gallente/drone heavy. Given that we don't really have newbie-friendly AFK ratting space anymore, I think it might be better if it was tweaked to get people into T1 logi (we do have separate skill plans for that) and a frigate 5 + Swordfleet interceptor (Ares used to be the easiest due to not needing WU5/AWU, not sure now). Add in scanning/archaeology (this is like 4 days worth) to give some isk-making options. This would give newbees a bit more variety while they train into the next more skill intensive doctrines like Caracals, Jackdaws, and Canes.

I don't think the old advice of newbees just flying Atrons and Mauluses for 3-4 months until they can fly a T2 fit max fitting skills whatever works as well as it did back when every fleet was a big fuckoff mainfleet, because we've seriously cut down on the number of fleets those players can join (just Caracal fleets really). I think a lot of people forget what it's like to be able to fly practically nothing, where a 30-day skill train hurts a lot more than when there's 5 other doctrines you can fly in the meantime.

Anyways, I've said that kind of thing before and got called a whiner even though I'm past the worst of it myself. If you look at the PH newbie skill plans this is one area where I think they do a better job getting newbies into a variety of ships right away (granted there's also no SRP so no need to worry about their version of Atrum raging out on you for downgraded modules or whatever).

• Locked thread