Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Holy crap this is something I wanted to comment on, that was great. They made Stark look like Ferris Bueller it was excellent

RDJ said it actually freaked him out.

Corek posted:

The recent one where they become slumlords is the best one because it's in response to those people demanding a lesson.

I love that episode. It's like The Big Short but for bad people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Chairman Capone posted:

So Iron Man isn't deranged because he sets lower standards for himself than Batman and his goals are to kill people, so it's all right. Gotcha.

It's not even that. The "no kill code" is important to Batman. It is not just a product of his sense of morality, but of his trauma, the fact that his origin involves death. It is a leash he puts around his own neck.

Different characters hold themselves to different standards because of where they come from. That's why fiction is so broad and it's so important to explore situations that make different statements on the issue of right and wrong. Why the same universe can house a soldier who kills in the line of duty and a God fearing Catholic who fears crossing a line.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Also Marvel have been reading this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtaReY6WCVQ

Also, tangentially, What The-!? owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8E0dcj1RRs

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not even that. The "no kill code" is important to Batman. It is not just a product of his sense of morality, but of his trauma, the fact that his origin involves death. It is a leash he puts around his own neck.

Different characters hold themselves to different standards because of where they come from. That's why fiction is so broad and it's so important to explore situations that make different statements on the issue of right and wrong. Why the same universe can house a soldier who kills in the line of duty and a God fearing Catholic who fears crossing a line.

Also because otherwise, the Joker would be dead in a ditch and not able to come back for another story (well in principle anyhow, it used to be that no one stayed dead in comics except Bucky. And, whelp... :haw:).

Although Batman kills him in The Killing Joke, albeit offscreen, I think.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tony looks like they teleported RDJ out from the set of Ally Mcbeal and saved him from drugs.

gently caress that, he looked like they grabbed him off the set of Weird Science.

It frightened me deeply.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TFRazorsaw posted:

The 'kill code' *used* to be important to Batman, but between his sidekick getting possibly killed and the toll 20 years of fighting criminals in a near-revolving door system takes, it's perfectly fine to have a Batman who doesn't think much of killing bad people to even the odds.

It's a shame about the Not My Bat-/Super- man crowd.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

TFRazorsaw posted:

Most filmic versions of Batman have actually been p. blase about wasting fools from their sweet fighter jet.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And as it happens, that's something I find dissatisfying about most cinematic Batmen.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If you want to talk about the movie though saying "that's just how I feel!" isn't a good way to go about it. That actually stops rather than furthers discussion, since nobody can argue with your feelings.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've argued at length about what I think about the issue of making Batman kill so flippantly. The point I'm trying to make is that "But but this thing did the same thing!" isn't really a good defense.

If a version of the character doing something meant that it was the right call for other adaptations to do that, people'd be a lot kinder to the Schumacher films.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
I'm not sure if it's out of place for Batman to kill LexCorp minions in a movie where his goal is to, you know, kill Superman.

(That's something out of character for Batman!)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Batman has been killing and maiming people ever since his brain broke on or before Space 9/11,
Again, this is literally not what the movie explicitly says on multiple occasions. It's not even some subtle implication, it's literal words that are spoken and written on screen.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
What any particular version of Batman does or doesn't do doesn't really have a bearing on the film's quality. Since the sequence where Batman toasts those guys with his jet and then breaks through that window is a kickin' rad piece of filmmaking, it's a kickin' rad piece of film. The comics still exist and will continue to do so. An adaption isn't beholden to them any further than taking whatever works for it. I mean I could be really mad that they made Iron Man into a snark machine when before in the comics he's usually the serious, leaderly one but it's better to accept the movie as its own thing.

The music and editing are fantastic. What follows when Batman infiltrates the building is one of the best action sequences I've seen in the movie theater since, well, I guess Man of Steel. That I think means more than "is this doing justice to the pen and ink version of Batman or the Timm cartoons or whatever.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 8, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

I mean I could be really mad that they made Iron Man into a snark machine when before in the comics he's usually the serious, leaderly one but it's better to accept the movie as its own thing.

Man, in the original Avengers comics, he and Jan are the ones cracking wise. That's totally on the money.

The straight dick from Iron Man, if you will.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also "it was different" (re: campy) is not why I dislike Batman & Robin (I think Batman Forever was fine but it has been 20 years since I saw it so idk). That may be why a lot of people say they dislike it but people are bad at explaining why they like or dislike something, generally. Batman & Robin is bad because only Arnold looks like he's even remotely enjoying himself and everybody else is grimacing their way towards a paycheck.

If B&R had been campy but good, someone in the last 20 years would have come to its defense and we as a culture would not have needed to see Joel Schumacker publicly break down in tears before we could forgive him.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 8, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't blame Schumacher, I blame the toy companies that had a noose around his neck. Unfortunately, his name is also the most recognized nomenclature for those particular movies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I loved the scene in the original Batman when Keaton's Bruce Wayne confronts the Joker at Vickki Vale's house (I think) - where he goes loving nutso by the fireplace all yelling and screaming and Joker shoots him.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Keaton's amazing because at so many points he comes off like this weird big kid who never grew up and is such a Tim Burton character yet perfectly suited for Batman. Like hell, that moment where he goes "ya wanna get nuts?? LET'S GET NUTS" seems more like he's probing the Joker just to see what he'll do than trying to escape.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Drifter posted:

The 'kill code' *used* to be important to Batman, but between his sidekick getting possibly killed and the toll 20 years of fighting criminals in a near-revolving door system takes, it's perfectly fine to have a Batman who doesn't think much of killing bad people to even the odds.

It's important that the Batcave in the movie is the one from the end of Dark Knight Rises. Bruce hasn't learned a thing and loves being Batman. Robin's outfit isn't in a glass case out of respect. The man needs to make shrines to his obsessions.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
TBH as many times as I watched Batman my strongest memory connected to it is undoubtedly this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL1k0XoT5h0

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Harime Nui posted:

Keaton's amazing because at so many points he comes off like this weird big kid who never grew up and is such a Tim Burton character yet perfectly suited for Batman. Like hell, that moment where he goes "ya wanna get nuts?? LET'S GET NUTS" seems more like he's probing the Joker just to see what he'll do than trying to escape.

That was my impression too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's important that the Batcave in the movie is the one from the end of Dark Knight Rises. Bruce hasn't learned a thing and loves being Batman. Robin's outfit isn't in a glass case out of respect. The man needs to make shrines to his obsessions.

Unless you can show me an interview with Snyder that says that I don't believe that for a second.

And what's important about Bruce enjoying being Batman? I mean, duh? What would he have learned? But you're right about the obsession thing, but that's kinda of straightforward given the damage to the suit. It's there to remind him firstly about whatever happened, not so that he never forgets what a good person Dick/Jason/Tim was.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 8, 2016

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

What any particular version of Batman does or doesn't do doesn't really have a bearing on the film's quality. Since the sequence where Batman toasts those guys with his jet and then breaks through that window is a kickin' rad piece of filmmaking, it's a kickin' rad piece of film. The comics still exist and will continue to do so. An adaption isn't beholden to them any further than taking whatever works for it. I mean I could be really mad that they made Iron Man into a snark machine when before in the comics he's usually the serious, leaderly one but it's better to accept the movie as its own thing.

The music and editing are fantastic. What follows when Batman infiltrates the building is one of the best action sequences I've seen in the movie theater since, well, I guess Man of Steel. That I think means more than "is this doing justice to the pen and ink version of Batman or the Timm cartoons or whatever.

That fight sequence is the only the memorable fight in the whole movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wrong thread!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Harime Nui posted:

TBH as many times as I watched Batman my strongest memory connected to it is undoubtedly this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL1k0XoT5h0

I find it's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIPZROBiNik

I discovered Adam West Batman as a kid and that remains the greatest iteration of Batman yet.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRStyrC4hTQ

whoa

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 8, 2016

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

The MSJ posted:

Saying that Tony acted irrationally is pretty much the same thing as saying he's mentally ill.

No it's not. Those aren't the same things at all. What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

There were alot of car ads before civil war

follow the money

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't blame Schumacher, I blame the toy companies that had a noose around his neck. Unfortunately, his name is also the most recognized nomenclature for those particular movies.

You really need to stop trying to use big words you don't understand.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I really wish people would stop saying the no-kill rule is "integral" to Batman's character when it was a late addition to him usually applied to appeal to censor boards.

Even if you ignore the fact that different interpretations can do different things with the character and that's fine, you STILL can't pull the "Not my Batman!" card without being factually wrong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pirate Jet posted:

you STILL can't pull the "Not my Batman!" card without being factually wrong.

As I've said before, I'm pretty sure that most of the NOT MY BATMAN crowd latch onto what they feel are incongruous details (like batmurder) in an attempt to try and explain why they were unhappy with the film and they're not actually capable of articulating an objective critique because they're basing their criticism on their emotional reaction to the film. Most of the general public outside of CD base their opinions on films almost purely on their emotions so they're usually quite willing to accept plot holes and incongruous details if they liked the film, whereas they'll be hyper critical of those same elements if they disliked the film. Pointing out that the 'no kill' rule hasn't applied for decades won't change their minds because it doesn't actually address the issues they had with the film. Pointing out that Rey wasn't any more of a Mary Sue than Luke won't change people's minds about TFA. Etc etc..

If BvS ended on a less ambiguously upbeat tone and the general audience walked out thinking that Batman and Superman had been cool and awesome in the film then they wouldn't have given a flying gently caress about Batman killing Lex's goons. Many Batfans would have gone into the movie expecting an escapism action/adventure power fantasy experience and weren't prepared for a film that explored actual characters attempting to deal with the traumas associated with superheroism.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 8, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Caught up with my MCU movies last night as I spotted Iron Man 3 on Netflix, it was much better than I thought. No high aspirations to social or political commentary, just a silly superhero movie.

How was the general reaction back then when they announced Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin? Discounting the plot twist, as "Ben Kingsley as Mandarin" was all anyone knew back then. Incidentally though, reading about it I thought the twist was dumb, but the actual film handled it really well and of course Kingsley himself stole everyone's thunder.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Caught up with my MCU movies last night as I spotted Iron Man 3 on Netflix, it was much better than I thought. No high aspirations to social or political commentary, just a silly superhero movie.

...Isn't the A-plot of that movie about an American defense contractor inventing Al-Qaeda and sending traumatized military veterans back into American society as literal walking timebombs?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

As I've said before, I'm pretty sure that most of the NOT MY BATMAN crowd latch onto what they feel are incongruous details (like batmurder) in an attempt to try and explain why they were unhappy with the film and they're not actually capable of articulating an objective critique because they're basing their criticism on their emotional reaction to the film. Most of the general public outside of CD base their opinions on films almost purely on their emotions so they're usually quite willing to accept plot holes and incongruous details if they liked the film, whereas they'll be hyper critical of those same elements if they disliked the film. Pointing out that the 'no kill' rule hasn't applied for decades won't change their minds because it doesn't actually address the issues they had with the film. Pointing out that Rey wasn't any more of a Mary Sue than Luke won't change people's minds about TFA. Etc etc..

If BvS ended on a less ambiguously upbeat tone and the general audience walked out thinking that Batman and Superman had been cool and awesome in the film then they wouldn't have given a flying gently caress about Batman killing Lex's goons. Many Batfans would have gone into the movie expecting an escapism action/adventure power fantasy experience and weren't prepared for a film that explored actual characters attempting to deal with the traumas associated with superheroism.

The last big Batman movie trilogy made the "No Kill rule" a big plot point. It's understandable that people would notice the difference and not like it.

It's been my experience that most people when asked if they liked a movie will state their opinion and a short statement why. Not because they are incapable of articulating an objective critique but that is not what the person asking is interested in listening to or maybe they are not interested in making one. Comic book movie's aren't serious business to everyone.

Didn't Dark Knight end on a downer with Batman being chased by the police and the Nolan Trilogy explore a messed up Batman? And Burton's Batman, Keaton was pretty messed up and I might be remembering it wrong but I think Batman Returns ended on a downer too.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Crion posted:

...Isn't the A-plot of that movie about an American defense contractor inventing Al-Qaeda and sending traumatized military veterans back into American society as literal walking timebombs?

Seriously, IM3 is just about the most thematically significant film in the MCU so far.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Winter Solider probably has the most concise statement about the problems with American foreign policy in the 21st Century.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Many Batfans would have gone into the movie expecting an escapism action/adventure power fantasy experience and weren't prepared for a film that explored actual characters attempting to deal with the traumas associated with superheroism.
See, I agree with a lot of your post, but poo poo like this is annoying. I'm of the mind that Snyder's films are interesting, may not be good films, and I definitely don't actually enjoy them. And my lack of enjoyment is coming from an emotional level of yes, it's not really what i want to see from these characters. But there's this weird rear end dichotomy that either the audience wants to be challenged or it wants and escapist power fantasy, and that's silly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timeless Appeal posted:

But there's this weird rear end dichotomy that either the audience wants to be challenged or it wants and escapist power fantasy, and that's silly.

Yeah I may have been speaking a bit too broadly there. I'll amend it to say that that the general audience members who weren't happy with BvS probably wouldn't have minded being challenged just as long as they also got their escapist power fantasy. As axelord pointed out, the Nolan films pretty much did that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timeless Appeal posted:

Winter Solider probably has the most concise statement about the problems with American foreign policy in the 21st Century.

Uhhh explain.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh god some idiot on twitter is saying "NOT MY SPIDER-MAN" because he swore.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

It turns out the CIA are Nazis.

Just like in the real world.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

axelord posted:

The last big Batman movie trilogy made the "No Kill rule" a big plot point. It's understandable that people would notice the difference and not like it.

It's been my experience that most people when asked if they liked a movie will state their opinion and a short statement why. Not because they are incapable of articulating an objective critique but that is not what the person asking is interested in listening to or maybe they are not interested in making one. Comic book movie's aren't serious business to everyone.

Didn't Dark Knight end on a downer with Batman being chased by the police and the Nolan Trilogy explore a messed up Batman? And Burton's Batman, Keaton was pretty messed up and I might be remembering it wrong but I think Batman Returns ended on a downer too.

*growly growl*
"I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
:barf:

:rolleyes:

Goddamn, that was almost as bad as the MARTHA!, Martha? crap in BvS.

The ending of the Dark Knight was kinda goofy. Back when I watched it I didn't really understand why he was running away aside from Harvey Dent being dead. Like, just blame Joker who gives a poo poo?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

It turns out the CIA are Nazis.

Just like in the real world.

And just like in the real world, when CIA operatives were outed as Nazis they quietly disappeared into new lives instead of being brought to account for their actions.

Yes, I'm saying Nick Fury is Klaus Barbie.

• Locked thread