Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The most bullshit hitbox in this game is the mimic's grab. Its really easy to avoid the grab by just walking behind the mimic, as it will just lunge forward and hug thin air. Except, that doesn't actually work because the hitbox inexplicably extends far behind the mimic as well. So it took several deaths of me getting picked up from behind and oneshotted that I decided to never trust the visual on that grab and always roll away in a panic instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Well, uhm, I actually killed Aldrich and then immediately after continued the questline in Irithyll dungeon. I figured in NG+ I'd get to most of the cinder bosses, and then murder them to the order I see fit.

Okay, fine, but why not kill patches? He's a dick and Siegward carried on on the quest anyways, how was I supposed to know that was going to happen?

In every Souls game, it's better not to kill Patches.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Evangelists kill me the most, for common enemies. Spiked club OP.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

So I'm pretty sure now Quickstep does not actually allow you to escape body blocking contrary what the description of it may lead you to believe.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Internet Kraken posted:

The most bullshit hitbox in this game is the mimic's grab. Its really easy to avoid the grab by just walking behind the mimic, as it will just lunge forward and hug thin air. Except, that doesn't actually work because the hitbox inexplicably extends far behind the mimic as well. So it took several deaths of me getting picked up from behind and oneshotted that I decided to never trust the visual on that grab and always roll away in a panic instead.
I just fling an Undead Hunter charm at them and steal the item when they sleep, as opposed to fighting them. That method also means you can continuously use it on one mimic until you get the Symbol of Avarice.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I am almost positive that in DS1 when you waved you were holding your weapon in your waving hand. So the technology should exist.

Maybe I've just got rose-tinted glasses and I'm misremembering.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mazerunner posted:

The crucifix dudes are very tough and fearsome looking, so you should be wary of them right away. Then when you actually fight them they're incredibly fast, strong, and aggressive so them having a strong grab attack isn't the worst. The grab also has a large wind up.

Otoh once you know where the crossghouls are (and have high enough dps), you can kill them before they finish standing up.

Source: I wolf-invaded a dude with a sunbro who I couldn't handle, so I retreated into crossghoul territory, whereupon said sunbro summarily murdered them without a scratch. :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Evangelists kill me the most, for common enemies. Spiked club OP.

lol that one in COTD that doesn't do any magic attacks, only melee :iamafag: good times

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
:byodood: HAW HAW HAW

What annoys me the most is when they smack you in the face with their bible.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

I would, but as soon as I break the "rules" of the fight club (read: fling poo at or just get too close to the participants of the duel), the host, the white phantoms, and the reds all simultaneously gang-bang me.

Sounds like you found a lovely fight club

Nuebot posted:

This is why fight clubs are the worst thing. The rules are always completely arbitrary on what items are cool to use, what aren't and since there's zero way to communicate, have fun just randomly getting wrecked.

Correction: Fight clubs are amazing, but only if the only rules are "1v1" and "No attacking the spectators."
Maybe it was because I was the host and gave zero shits about what tactics people used, but the only time I jumped into a fight to curb stomp someone was when somebody jumped into the ring using a gimmick build. They were using no armor, grass crest shield and two avelyns which could have been very entertaining, except they were fighting some dude with heavy armor, a greatshield and a black knight axe. Whole thing ended up being an endless repeat of "gimmick build fires at heavy, heavy blocks, takes a swing, gimmick dodges, rinse and repeat."
After a solid 8 minutes of watching these two fail to make any real progress I went "gently caress it" and hopped in and back stabbed gimmick build girl cuz it was taking too drat long.

Edit: So actually I guess the best rule of fight club is "Anything goes, so long as it's entertaining."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

The jumping goatmans are motherfuckers, though. They don't really look all that different from the other ghrus so you don't really have reason to be wary, and it feels, to me, slightly wrong that the most dangerous kind is the one without any weapons. The grab does a poo poo ton of damage for how fast it comes out, and the jumps... just... gently caress the jumps.

The worst thing about those is how they keep moving forward when they whiff their grab so it's tough to punish.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
patches is NOT a dick.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Sounds like you found a lovely fight club

Correction: Fight clubs are amazing, but only if the only rules are "1v1" and "No attacking the spectators."
Maybe it was because I was the host and gave zero shits about what tactics people used, but the only time I jumped into a fight to curb stomp someone was when somebody jumped into the ring using a gimmick build. They were using no armor, grass crest shield and two avelyns which could have been very entertaining, except they were fighting some dude with heavy armor, a greatshield and a black knight axe. Whole thing ended up being an endless repeat of "gimmick build fires at heavy, heavy blocks, takes a swing, gimmick dodges, rinse and repeat."
After a solid 8 minutes of watching these two fail to make any real progress I went "gently caress it" and hopped in and back stabbed gimmick build girl cuz it was taking too drat long.

Edit: So actually I guess the best rule of fight club is "Anything goes, so long as it's entertaining."

You should have stabbed the great shield guy because that's how almost every fight with one of them goes.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The most annoying ppl to fight against are great shield guys, estoc guys, and Halberd guys.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

The Moon Monster posted:

The worst thing about those is how they keep moving forward when they whiff their grab so it's tough to punish.
I just got killed strolling along with my NG+ kitted out character because I got grabbed, survived, needed just a single hit and while winding up for that it immediately grabbed again. Welp

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g20_8-TPyTQ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Funny thing is going back to DS2 and every single chest I approach I'm positive will be a mimic.... and I haven't encountered one yet.

It may be hyperbole, but I'm fairly certain there were more mimic than non-mimic chests in DS3.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Jerusalem posted:

It may be hyperbole, but I'm fairly certain there were more mimic than non-mimic chests in DS3.
No, I'm pretty sure you're right about that. Other games had like, what, five or so? This game, they're all over the place.
I'm still surprised From didn't put in a single Mimic Bonfire or something in this game to really gently caress with players.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Okay, this is bullshit. I killed patches because I don't like being trapped in a tower, and I got tired of his bullshit. This means he does not have to gently caress me over in the Cathedral or gently caress over Siegward. As a result, I skip straight to finding him on Irithyll right? Okay, so I look up on how to free him after that, and he thanks me and all, and I'm all set to fight Yhorm so i can get his armor right?

loving wrong. I missed the step on recovering his armor and saving him in the cathedral, sssooo he never shows up in Yhorm. The gently caress is this man?

I always love when goons get upset and murder NPCs in games like they are Judge Dredd or something then get mad at the game because there was a consequence to that action.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is poise enabled now? Why the hell can every player today suddenly combo me to death while I'm in the middle of stabbing them for the third time in a row

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

mistaya posted:

The bosses have all been fun so far but the normal enemies in this game are a lot less so. Why do so many of them have an insta-kill attack? It's fine to put that on things like Mimics, where it's part of the challenge or the "hah SURPRISE!" , but giving an instakill to random goat monsters in the swamp or the crucifix guys in the woods just starts to feel cheap and not fun if you get hit. It makes fighting them at all a waste of time and a bad idea, which is a shame.

What kind of build are you running? I just finished a run with a low vigor magic build and didn't run into many regular enemies that had grabs that would instakill me. I just backstabbed the log guys and avoided the grabby goats (i think there are only 1 or 2 in the swamp).

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Funny thing is going back to DS2 and every single chest I approach I'm positive will be a mimic.... and I haven't encountered one yet.

There's hardly any chests in this game, they were all over the place in 2 and 1.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Good work. I've gotten somewhere in the realm of 500 kills across all covenants across all my characters so far.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I love the Enchanted Dancer Swords. So much so that I'll destroy every boss on NG+3 with them. Here's the first five. Dance on my friends. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ogqMTEJPA

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm camping the catacombs bridge again because apparently that's the only way I can get pale tongues anymore so I can respec out of being stuck with my barbed straight sword. Host's taking loving forever so I tab out to wait.

I tab back in to see him and his phantom friend on both sides of me, staring me down. I freak out and roll onto the bridge as its breaking, and tumble to the path below. Host jumps after me for some ungodly reason, and Alt-F4s before he hits the bottom. :downs:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So what's the max passive health regen you can have going? Sun Princess Ring + Blessed mainhand and offhand?

I'm definitely not thinking about a permanent Symbol of Avarice multiplayer gimmick

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is the only way to get the Symbol of Avarice to farm the very last mimic, or can you find it earlier than that?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is the only way to get the Symbol of Avarice to farm the very last mimic, or can you find it earlier than that?

You can find it earlier. I got lucky with the first kill. The Undead hunter charm increases your chances of getting it.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

you can get it from your very first chest if you are lucky. just farm it using lloyd talismans with a few item discovery items on

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The best place to farm Avarice I think is at the Pontiff bonfire.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

net cafe scandal posted:

I watched a 15 minute video of someone hitting him and it didnt happen. A troll methinks

It's definitely possible but each visceral only does maybe 1/8 of his health so it's a slog nonetheless since you're only dealing chip damage between viscerals and there's so much set up in between. You probably need to be hitting his noggin' too otherwise it's all for nothing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

argondamn posted:

The best place to farm Avarice I think is at the Pontiff bonfire.

Oh right because of the elevator.

Took me a second, I"m like where are you talkin.. oh right above it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

So what's the max passive health regen you can have going? Sun Princess Ring + Blessed mainhand and offhand?

I'm definitely not thinking about a permanent Symbol of Avarice multiplayer gimmick

Sun Princess Ring, Blessed mainhand, the Dragon greatshield you get from Archdragon Peak (it's 2 HP/s, which should be slightly faster than the Blessed offhand). That will still only get you about 5 HP/s - half of the roughly 10 HP/s from the Symbol of Avaraice - so you'll need to have one of the HP regen spells running as well.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

this isn't something i've seen discussed anywhere, and i don't think it's the same thing as hyper armor, but i figured i would ask anyway. people always gush about the darksword or whatever straight sword superiority, either pve or pvp, but they always seemed a bit poo poo to me compared to heavier weapons, and here's why: they have no ability to hit-stun or to interrupt enemy attacks. i don't mean hyper armor, where you and i can attack into each other and maybe my heavier weapon attack can trade hits into your heavier weapon attack and even though we both take damage, i power through your attack and keep attacking you while you are stunned. i mean the lighter weapons don't seem to be able to stop an enemy mid-attack animation before they even have hit you and allow your attack to go thru uninterrupted.

for example, i have extensively farmed the three silver knights outside of the anor londo bonfire for ears that will never come (as have countless others). my fastest circuit for running them involves using a heavy weapon like a black knight sword and running right at the spear and sword knights and attacking them right as they're winding up for their attacks. if the timing is right, your chop will hit into their attack and cancel their move and they revert to their hurt/stun animation and you don't even take damage, and now you follow up with 2-4 hits of your own and kill them in stunlock without ever taking any damage. compare this to a lighter weapon, like a darksword, or even a black knight halberd, and trying the same strategy doesn't actually interrupt the knight's attack, so when i chop them they just keep coming at me and i eat a lightning sword in the face. the theory is similar for pvp too - if i take something really heavy with reach like a profaned greatsword or yhorm's cleaver and chop into another phantom i can sometimes (lag permitting) hit them while they are mid attack and instead of trading hits i just stunlock them and now i can hit them 2-4 times before they can roll away (if they can roll away).

it seems to me that the fact that lighter weapons can't hit-stun or interrupt attacks as reliably is a pretty big drawback. it's neat that a heavy darksword +10 with 40 STR has 400 AR, but if my attacks can't break up an enemy attack combo, it limits how aggressively i can play, which is a huge bummer.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
To fight Yhorm without Storm Ruler you bait him into doing the attack where he jams his axe into the ground and is leaned over for a while. You just walk away from him during the windup, it misses, then you turn around and hit him in the head a couple times. He'll stagger and you stab him in the head for a ton of damage and repeat.

The catch is some weapons just can't really hit his head, so you need something with a lot of reach and a vertical attack. Other than that, hitting him in the hands does a lot more damage than hitting his legs, but I'm not sure if you can stagger him by hitting anything but his head.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tetracube posted:

Is poise enabled now? Why the hell can every player today suddenly combo me to death while I'm in the middle of stabbing them for the third time in a row

Hyper armor is a thing, dude.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I hate how I spend the most time in areas I hate because I play the hell out of the areas I love and then they're done.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
What the gently caress is the deal with Cruxifiction Woods? I can only ever summon 1 bro and the goddamn NPC invader just uses estus and rolls around 24/7.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
After spending a good hour or two trying fruitlessly, I'm convinced the tools simply are not there to make a particularly patches-like face. Best you can muster is sort of having the same expression, eyes, and nose. His bone structure, though, seems impossible to reproduce, as well as his overall jaw region and his chin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So turns out high level bluecop/watchdog/aldtrich is going strong and an absolute hoot. Got summoned as a bluecop after the pontiff and wa getting 3 ears and a couple of vertebrae shackles per invasion and getting summoned pretty much every 5 minutes.
The only issue im having now is im in NG++ and getting my rear end handed to me every time I try and hand in my human dregs by those horrific cocodogpossums.