Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there a reason Marvel isn't doing everything in their power to get Brad Bird to direct a Marvel movie?

Did he lose Disney a poo poo load of money because of Tomorrowland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Snipes looks ok now - his eye's a bit wonky but otherwise he's good. With some Disney magic he'd be back as Blade. Hell, look at the Disney magic on Mark Hamill.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vintersorg posted:

Snipes looks ok now - his eye's a bit wonky but otherwise he's good. With some Disney magic he'd be back as Blade. Hell, look at the Disney magic on Mark Hamill.

Please, Snipes is in way better shape now than Hamill probably ever was.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gyges posted:

Given Civil War it seems pretty clear that they're not going with the no super powers just a super smart dude at peak physical condition version.

The dude ran down a motorcycle and was flipping off cars and poo poo. That's a hell of a peak.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Might be missing something obvious here, but why would they ever consider hiring Snipes again after what sounds like a fiasco filming Blade 3? I thought he went off the deep end then, and that was before he was in prison for like 3 years.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Electromax posted:

Might be missing something obvious here, but why would they ever consider hiring Snipes again after what sounds like a fiasco filming Blade 3? I thought he went off the deep end then, and that was before he was in prison for like 3 years.

He seems to have been humbled by everything that happened. I am sure he'd be thankful now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kurzon posted:

MCU Cap is far more powerful than comic Cap, who is just a peak human.

Peak human in Marvel/DC is pretty much how Cap is depicted in the movies, only faster. Batman and Cap, two "peak humans" in comics, aim dodge rooms of machine gun fire, clear out rooms of people faster than they can track, lift 2000 pounds as a workout, and punch through trees and punch steel doors off their hinges...and these are regular things.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I want those Disney drugs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

He seems to have been humbled by everything that happened. I am sure he'd be thankful now.

I'm pretty sure if they ever asked him to play a role in any Disney/Marvel film they'd march a line of lawyers into the meeting room and present him with a very long, detailed contract with some rather novel but extremely serious stipulations written into it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Darko posted:

Peak human in Marvel/DC is pretty much how Cap is depicted in the movies, only faster. Batman and Cap, two "peak humans" in comics, aim dodge rooms of machine gun fire, clear out rooms of people faster than they can track, lift 2000 pounds as a workout, and punch through trees and punch steel doors off their hinges...and these are regular things.
In the Lagos scene Cap kicks a car into an opponent. That's something Batman can't do on his best day.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Davros1 posted:

There's a reason he immediately found himself getting back to work at Pixar.

That said, they kind of get the best of both worlds since he's doing The Incredibles 2.

But yeah, Bird is in the same sort of hole Andrew Stanton got put in when they had to write off John Carter. Go back to the proven moneymaker, maybe we'll let you take a risk again like a decade from now.

Tomorrowland flopping also probably killed his 1906 San Francisco earthquake movie cold.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I enjoyed Tomorrowland AND John Carter. :ohdear:
I thought they were both pretty fun.

Looking forward to Incredibles 2 - I've not heard anything about it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Darko posted:

I always think of peak human means different things in the case of Batman or Cap in that Batman is extremely well trained and conditioned and experienced a la peak as a 6'4" 240 lb 7% BF guy but Captain with the super soldier serum is literally every gold medal athlete in one person. Fast as Usain Bolt while as strong as that Mountain guy with the endurance of some world class Kenyan runner.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Caps powers are just peak plot relevance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, the implication with Cap is that he is the Ubermensch. Blonde, blue eyed and created in a lab.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Codependent Poster posted:

Excuse me, it's Booyah Begins.

Been catching up on the thread, I want to applaud this post.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Drifter posted:

Looking forward to Incredibles 2 - I've not heard anything about it.

Well, they're not exactly quick to make. I don't think they'd done anything particular about an Incredibles 2 prior to Bird coming back to Pixar, either, so it's under cover of darkness until like 2017 at earliest since it's not going to be out until 2019.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Drifter posted:

Same, more so John Carter - it's a shame they are seen as garbage. :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
John Carter has some really wack structural decisions but other than that is a good movie.

I defy anyone to dislike Woolah. drat he owns so hard! I hope he jumps into another franchise and ends up in the DCEU as Krypto.

BTW anyone who actually gives John Carter a chance pretty much likes it. I've flipped a couple of people who stayed away because "it was a bomb" or "it looks stupid".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll give anything a chance, but I haven't stumbled on John Carter anywhere that I could watch it streaming for free, otherwise I'd have seen it by now. I guess because it was such a bomb there's not much demand for it?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Kurzon posted:

In the Lagos scene Cap kicks a car into an opponent. That's something Batman can't do on his best day.

I heard Mr. Furious lifted a bus once.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'll give anything a chance, but I haven't stumbled on John Carter anywhere that I could watch it streaming for free, otherwise I'd have seen it by now. I guess because it was such a bomb there's not much demand for it?

Its a flawed movie and has some pacing problems but its visual design is beautiful and the alien/animated characters are pretty endearing.

Especially Woola.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

I always think of peak human means different things in the case of Batman or Cap in that Batman is extremely well trained and conditioned and experienced a la peak as a 6'4" 240 lb 7% BF guy but Captain with the super soldier serum is literally every gold medal athlete in one person. Fast as Usain Bolt while as strong as that Mountain guy with the endurance of some world class Kenyan runner.

In theory, but in presentation, they're pretty much the same:

...it makes no sense, and it's just best to just say that "peak human" in comics means slightly superhuman.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Darko posted:

In theory, but in presentation, they're pretty much the same:

...it makes no sense, and it's just best to just say that "peak human" in comics means slightly superhuman.

What most people are ignoring as that humans in comics and film are already slightly super-human. They can jump from higher heights and survive, take multiple heavy punches to the head and be fine, etc.

Basically, if John McClaine is a normal dude, Captain America and Batman are the peak version of John Mclaine level normal dudes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TetsuoTW posted:

If Marvel has the film rights to Blade, I might actually ejaculate in the theater if Snipes as Blade shows up in Infinity War 1/2 The Next Great Movies in the Avengers Franchise.

The only thing I want more in Marvel movies than SnipesBlade and CageRider is for Spiderman to summon his giant robot Leopardon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure if they ever asked him to play a role in any Disney/Marvel film they'd march a line of lawyers into the meeting room and present him with a very long, detailed contract with some rather novel but extremely serious stipulations written into it.

At this point he'd probably only need the single stipulation of "Davis S. Goyer is not involved in this film in any way." to be fine.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 9, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Pretty sure movie Cap is using Ultimate Cap as his powers base. Which means he actually is super human and not "peak" human.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I think Disney's take-away was to not make a big budget film around a new property and stick to making Star Wars and Indiana Jones and the Fing Fang Foom standalone movie. I don't think anyone thought it was on Bird's shoulders although its definitely the most lifeless thing he's ever made.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gyges posted:

Pretty sure movie Cap is using Ultimate Cap as his powers base. Which means he actually is super human and not "peak" human.

Yeah, peak human in the MCU Black Widow, Hawkeye, Melinda May, etc...

Cap is the only perfect super soldier ever.

Bucky, Red Skull, the other Winter Soldiers and onwards are made with some form of flawed serum.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, peak human in the MCU Black Widow, Hawkeye, Melinda May, etc...

Cap is the only perfect super soldier ever.

Bucky, Red Skull, the other Winter Soldiers and onwards are made with some form of flawed serum.

And also because they don't have his moral fiber, or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doesn't Blonsky get injected with the actual super soldier serum that was used on Rogers?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think "peak human" just means "doesn't shoot energy beams or teleport or fly".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

Doesn't Blonsky get injected with the actual super soldier serum that was used on Rogers?

A smaller dose at first than Rogers got. Ross has Blonsky injected a second time with a larger dose than the first which creates the bone deformity and starts Blonsky down the path to crazy town. Blonsky then forces a doctor to utilize the gamma treatment Bruce received and that pushes him over into Abomination status.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MacheteZombie posted:

A smaller dose at first than Rogers got. Ross has Blonsky injected a second time with a larger dose than the first which creates the bone deformity and starts Blonsky down the path to crazy town. Blonsky then forces a doctor to utilize the gamma treatment Bruce received and that pushes him over into Abomination status.

I thought Dr. Stearns injects Blonsky with Banner's actual blood, which results in the Abomination.

I need to re-visit that movie. It's terribly under-appreciated.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

I thought Dr. Stearns injects Blonsky with Banner's actual blood, which results in the Abomination.

You're right, it's Banner's gamma blood transfused into Blonsky.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

MacheteZombie posted:

You're right, it's Banner's gamma blood transfused into Blonsky.

And part of the problem, at least that Tim Blake Nelson is worried about, is how what's in Banner's blood will interact with what's already in Blonsky, implying that they're different formulas. And both are, I believe, supposed to also be different from the original Captain America serum.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

And both are, I believe, supposed to also be different from the original Captain America serum.

Yeah I was trying to confirm this part, the wiki (which I don't fully trust) says it's the original serum.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

And both are, I believe, supposed to also be different from the original Captain America serum.

This is what Ross pulls out of storage after Blonsky says that if he were ten years younger, he could have taken the Hulk and Ross responds, "I might be able to arrange something like that."

And I think Reinstein was an alias for Dr. Erskine. So, he got the same serum.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Timby posted:

This is what Ross pulls out of storage after Blonsky says that if he were ten years younger, he could have taken the Hulk and Ross responds, "I might be able to arrange something like that."

And I think Reinstein was an alias for Dr. Erskine. So, he got the same serum.

Nope, Erskine was the only man who perfected the formula, but his death meant the formula was lost. Everything else created to make new super soldiers resulted in massive problems and side effects. This was used as a cheap and easy way to make all kinds of stupid and awesome villains over the years like Winter Soldier, NUKE, Omega Red and others.

MCU Abomination's serum made him have bone growths and poo poo even before mainlining Hulk blood. So it obviously wasn't cap's serum.

Also in Agent Carter season 1 the last vial of Steve's blood was a minor plot point, since all other samples were wasted trying to make the serum again.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Nope, Erskine was the only man who perfected the formula, but his death meant the formula was lost. Everything else created to make new super soldiers resulted in massive problems and side effects. This was used as a cheap and easy way to make all kinds of stupid and awesome villains over the years like Winter Soldier, NUKE, Omega Red and others.

MCU Abomination's serum made him have bone growths and poo poo even before mainlining Hulk blood. So it obviously wasn't cap's serum.

Also in Agent Carter season 1 the last vial of Steve's blood was a minor plot point, since all other samples were wasted trying to make the serum again.

That was the second dose that made the bone growths.

MacheteZombie posted:

Timby posted:

He fights Abom after the first dose and holds is own for a while before Hulk smashes him into a tree and breaks him.

• Locked thread