Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I haven't seen Civil War yet but does Spiderman have cool hair and cool shoes and say things like "hey man"?

He's definitely more a sensitive teen than some adult fuckwad pretending to be 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Race, sexuality, any sort of discriminated-against minority.

Also, good lord X3 is the worst. You should really give First Class/DoFP a try, they're much better and First Class pretty much ignores the previous movies.

Which is why its so weird that the X-men cast (outside of Storm) is so uniformly monochrome. The wonderful thing about the X-men was that it was about all these different cultures and peoples being shown to be powerful, vibrant beings. The deathlock the franchise has on its stars is killing it.

Also killing it is that there's been no X-men baseball yet. Come on, they're practically just leaving money on the table right there.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Pretty much everyone I know who has never read Spider-Man comics but watched the movies described him as 'annoying'. I'm very much looking forward to the solo movie myself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I haven't seen Civil War yet but does Spiderman have cool hair and cool shoes and say things like "hey man"?

Didn't like the skateboarding, brooding Peter with cool hair

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

No, but he does wear headphones and a hoodie. He also refers to Empire Strikes Back as "a really old movie".

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Shageletic posted:

This is has already probably been addressed but audience's don't really respond to the quality of a movie itself, they respond to the quality of the previous movie in the franchise.

Seems like Ultron would've depressed the excitement for this movie a bit more in that case. Isn't it doing pretty well despite the previous one being generally accepted as one of the worst Marvel movies thus far?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If there's no skateboarding in Civil War I'm not sure why I'd watch it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm actually disappointed that Stark didn't hoverboard everywhere when in his civvies, like an updated GOB from Arrested Development

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Electromax posted:

Seems like Ultron would've depressed the excitement for this movie a bit more in that case. Isn't it doing pretty well despite the previous one being generally accepted as one of the worst Marvel movies thus far?

I think that's an extremely debatable statement.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Electromax posted:

The average person probably doesn't view the movie with the name "Captain America" on it as the same exact franchise as The Avengers. For a lot of people their previous touchstone for a Cap movie would be Winter Soldier.

And also if they were on the "every movie in this is part of one big franchise" POV that would mean the previous movie was Ant-Man.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Electromax posted:

Ant-man came out after Ultron and reminded everyone that Marvel is pretty good at high spectacle, low content movies which got the hype rolling.

Actually naming the movie Civil War was going to get butts in seats no matter what.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's definitely more a sensitive teen than some adult fuckwad pretending to be 17.

Andrew Garfield was great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't want to get into it again but he was balls. His Spiderman was fine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I don't want to get into it again but he was balls. His Spiderman was fine.

I thought he was fine, it was the scripts he read from that were terrible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Garfield was a great Spiderman, Maguire was a great Peter Parker, and hopefully Holland (and the other people involved) strikes a better balance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Electromax posted:

Its accepted as terrible by folks in this thread. In the real world, its got a 75 score in Rotten Tomatoes, and did not suffer a huge drop after its opening, making enough money to be one of the highest grossing movies of all time.

Then again, Civil War might be drafting off Winter Soldier, which again has a high score among critics and audiences, and is one of the highest grossing movies of all time.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Shageletic posted:

In the real world

In real America, we don't have much use for these New York values

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TheFallenEvincar posted:

If they defeat Apocalypse in this movie there won't be anyone to do 9/11 though....
branching timelines, deeeep

Instead of planes hitting the WTC, it was Logan in a Fastball Special.

Maybe that's how they'll adapt Old Man Logan for the new Wolverine movie, instead of brainwashing him to kill the X-Men, they brainwash him to take down the World Trade Center.

Not even close, First Class and Future Past are both very solid movies.

First Class is not only my favorite X-Men movie, it's one of my favorite comic movies, and if you take out the Nolan trilogy which I think is on a different level, could be my favorite comic movie of all time. There are a few stumbles in it (the black mutant's death scene, the final fight scene is a bit overdrawn) but on the whole it's just so fun. Aside from the quality and chemistry of the actors, I think it's because it draws as much from Bond movies as it does from comic books. Plus, again outside of the Nolan trilogy, I think it has the best score of any comic book movie, one of the few I can actually put on and listen to throughout rather than just enjoy certain tracks from.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheFallenEvincar posted:

If they defeat Apocalypse in this movie there won't be anyone to do 9/11 though....
branching timelines, deeeep

In the trailer they show Lower Manhattan being completely destroyed, old WTC and all. 9/11 ain't poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Spider-Man says "poo poo" and has a super hot Aunt-Mom.

He is a cool dude and takes no guff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In the trailer they show Lower Manhattan being completely destroyed, old WTC and all. 9/11 ain't poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZcZ6eJoxeE

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Instead of planes hitting the WTC, it was Logan in a Fastball Special.

Maybe that's how they'll adapt Old Man Logan for the new Wolverine movie, instead of brainwashing him to kill the X-Men, they brainwash him to take down the World Trade Center.

First Class is not only my favorite X-Men movie, it's one of my favorite comic movies, and if you take out the Nolan trilogy which I think is on a different level, could be my favorite comic movie of all time. There are a few stumbles in it (the black mutant's death scene, the final fight scene is a bit overdrawn) but on the whole it's just so fun. Aside from the quality and chemistry of the actors, I think it's because it draws as much from Bond movies as it does from comic books. Plus, again outside of the Nolan trilogy, I think it has the best score of any comic book movie, one of the few I can actually put on and listen to throughout rather than just enjoy certain tracks from.

First Class is basically the same 2 tracks over and over again - it's a few repeated (very good) motifs. I've found X-Men 3 to have a much more rewarding score experience as I get tired of X-Men theme/Magneto theme over and over by the end of First Class.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darko posted:

I've found X-Men 3 to have a much more rewarding score experience as I get tired of X-Men theme/Magneto theme over and over by the end of First Class.

Powell's work on The Last Stand might actually be some of the best of his career.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Race, sexuality, any sort of discriminated-against minority.

Also, good lord X3 is the worst. You should really give First Class/DoFP a try, they're much better and First Class pretty much ignores the previous movies.

I do recall wanting to see First Class, so I may yet give those two a shot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Annoying" is a character trait, that's not bad unless you think every character has to be likeable.

Every character should be relatable in some way, I personally believe. Unless the point is to make them incredibly alien, something like Under The Skin's first half. (which would be more literal, but hey)

I think Spider-Man in this film, and most of the films with exception of the Garfield ones, he was a very relatable person. Shy, awkward, but always sweet. Same with this Pete. He's a nice kid who's compensating his fear for quips. He's annoying only to our established heroes because, while they'll quip to cope, it's not a constant thing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I definitely related to Garfield, from his hair to skateboarding to hate for Mondays.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He also loved lasagna

or wait who am I thinking of?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think its because Spider-man is supposed to be a nerd pretending to be a douche, but Andrew Garfield actually is a douche so he just comes off as a huge douche.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

Rory Calhoun?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boy, gently caress you John, you fuckin dumb, stupid, idiot. You dumb, stupid, weak, white guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

He also loved lasagna

James A. Garfield, 20th President of the United States of America.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Boy, gently caress you John, you fuckin dumb, stupid, idiot. You dumb, stupid, weak, white guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage!

Boy you know, you're usually pretty mean but this really takes the cake.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Guy A. Person posted:

He also loved lasagna

Tobey Macguires

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
#ReacquireMaguire

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maguire for Uncle Ben.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think its because Spider-man is supposed to be a nerd pretending to be a douche, but Andrew Garfield actually is a douche so he just comes off as a huge douche.

No, the whole deal was that Parker always was a huge douchenozzle who was also a giant fuckin nerd, and being bitten gave him the power to be the arrogant dickbag he always wanted to be. It was uncle Ben dying that made him realize that being a huge rear end in a top hat when he had the power to help was a bad idea.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

mr. stefan posted:

No, the whole deal was that Parker always was a huge douchenozzle who was also a giant fuckin nerd, and being bitten gave him the power to be the arrogant dickbag he always wanted to be. It was uncle Ben dying that made him realize that being a huge rear end in a top hat when he had the power to help was a bad idea.

Hmmm you're right, he was totally a dick in between him getting bitten and Uncle Ben dying. So basically Andrew Garfield instead took it as a challenge to be even more of an rear end in a top hat.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Andrew Garfield seems like a perfectly nice dude to be honest.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Hmmm you're right, he was totally a dick in between him getting bitten and Uncle Ben dying.

Even after Uncle Ben died he was kind of a dick, to be honest. One of the first things he does as Spider-Man is break into the Baxter Building and gently caress up the Fantastic Four's poo poo to convince them to give him a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMcyclphuNs

What a loving douche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a loving break.

• Locked thread