Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

Blizzard's MO for the last 10 years is to not allow things in games that make you feel bad, even if they help make your decisions more meaningful. Fighting games basically exist to make you feel bad about your incorrect decisions.

A Blizzard fighting game would be less of a fighting game and more like Smash Bros.

Blizz's thing is more having no sense of moderation when trying to nerf things and just destroying them, after letting them run wild for what some people would consider an overly long amount of time. But yeah, they're kinda big on getting rid of "non-interactive" strategies, so I wouldn't count on them making a good fighting game.

Goetta posted:

Yeah I've tried blocking but then I start getting tossed or overheaded. I know the rock paper scissors wakeup thing is part of fighting games but I sort of feel lost with that character punishing some guy just standing on top of me throwing jabs in a corner.

Your default choice is blocking. If they're going for the throw or meaties too often, you reversal. Karin's DP is fine, it's just slower than the shoto's. On WAKEUP (read: as soon as you get up), it's basically a guessing game weighted towards the attacker. Your second post kinda reads like your issue isn't just as soon as you're getting up, it's with continued pressure. Unfortunately, the only way to know when it's safe to do something is by knowing your opponents' buttons and options. A lot of poo poo in SFV pushes you REALLY far back on block, so even when it's not outright disadvantageous, you can probably sneak a move in or try to jump/backdash out of danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sfv is basically what blizzard would make, except it'd be something close to feature complete and ranks would go up to infinity and you'd always get ranking points, win or lose, i'd also expect fewer attack buttons, and dedicated special move buttons, probably with loving cooldowns

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

But imagine how good it would look

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it'd look amazing, and you'd be able to run it on a toaster, and there would be a new patch to nerf something everything month, and woe be upon you if you dare to insinuate that the gameplay isn't perfect

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

it'd look amazing, and you'd be able to run it on a toaster, and there would be a new patch to nerf something everything month, and woe be upon you if you dare to insinuate that the gameplay isn't complete crud

Hey I didin't say it would be good, only that it would have some love put into it, unlike the hatefuck creation of SFV.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Give me SFV Hearthstone arena mode + let me collect colours and costumes through lootboxes

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I still haven't beat survival on hard

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

Give me SFV Hearthstone arena mode + let me collect colours and costumes through lootboxes

look i've fought enough fausts to know you don't want heathstone levels of RNG in your fighting games

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Pomp posted:

look i've fought enough fausts to know you don't want heathstone levels of RNG in your fighting games

actually faust is good and cool

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Brosnan posted:

Blizzard's MO for the last 10 years is to not allow things in games that make you feel bad

If this were the case, Overwatch wouldn't be full of insta-kills.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

turns out that Venom's kancho reaction is probably the least funny one, shame.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

actually faust is good and cool

he is until he topdecks nothing but meteors and bombs and minifausts then whelp gg

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Help Im Alive posted:

I kinda wouldn't mind a for fun mode where you could draft a move set for a character and play a Swiss style thing on a lobby. Have it use a Mokujin style character that you can customize.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Goetta posted:

Also to back up with what the burned out guy said, trying to practice this game while getting reamed by 10 silver Guiles online in a row then finally finding one dude who is at your skill level and losing to dumb poo poo you know you can beat is incredibly disheartening. Like really makes you want to stop playing that game.

Welcome to the world of Street Fighter V....prepare for battle!

Just gotta find a salt coping mechanism or get used to this. Whenever I need to blow off steam I play as Vega and look for someone who hasn't figured out Flying Barcelona yet. So much fun having those be a DP motion now. I hate charging. I'm terrible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i heard people speculating that the lol people bought rising thunder to make them turn it into an lol fighter. not blizzard but probably turn out similarly hosed up

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Real hurthling! posted:

i heard people speculating that the lol people bought rising thunder to make them turn it into an lol fighter. not blizzard but probably turn out similarly hosed up

Think about how cool that would be if the game didn't suck

and then think about how that will never happen

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

S.J. posted:

Think about how cool that would be if the game didn't suck

and then think about how that will never happen

I mean, LoL has sucked for so long I can't see it stop sucking just in time for a fighting game to come out.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I know it is a common complaint but I just wished the game offered like anything at all for someone who hasn't been playing fighting games against other people the past decade. Single players stuff, some sort of skill filtering in the online queue, or maybe an actual rookie only pool you can play in for like 100 matches or something (even if the queue takes forever). The game play is super fun and I want to keep playing it but throw me a bone Capcom.

It would be one thing if playing against good people made you better at the game but there is a level where it feels like the opposite. Like I'm not learning anything against Super Silver Vega beyond that I can probably manage to land a jab to avoid giving him a perfect.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Goetta posted:

I know it is a common complaint but I just wished the game offered like anything at all for someone who hasn't been playing fighting games against other people the past decade. Single players stuff, some sort of skill filtering in the online queue, or maybe an actual rookie only pool you can play in for like 100 matches or something (even if the queue takes forever). The game play is super fun and I want to keep playing it but throw me a bone Capcom.

It would be one thing if playing against good people made you better at the game but there is a level where it feels like the opposite. Like I'm not learning anything against Super Silver Vega beyond that I can probably manage to land a jab to avoid giving him a perfect.

it's giving you the closest ranked people possible, the game was a massive flop outside of entrenched fgc members

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It still sold over a million copies though right? Or is it that a lot of those people who bought it gave up on it already?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Goetta posted:

there arent enough players to match you up with newbies because this game is dead. if you feel like you're not learning anything thats on you... this game has a wealth of options for learning. a training mode with a record function and replays. the tools are there and have been since launch.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Goetta posted:

It still sold over a million copies though right? Or is it that a lot of those people who bought it gave up on it already?

At any one time there are more people watching a single not even top 3 random DOTA/LOL/CSGO/Minecraft/Hearthstone/Stardew Valley/Whatever streamer sitting in their apartment playing the game than total viewers for SF5.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zand posted:

there arent enough players to match you up with newbies because this game is dead. if you feel like you're not learning anything thats on you... this game has a wealth of options for learning. a training mode with a record function and replays. the tools are there and have been since launch.

training mode is a tool you need to be shown how to use when you don't know poo poo.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

training mode is a tool you need to be shown how to use when you don't know poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+use+sfv+training+mode

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thats what i mean.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Goetta posted:

You just gotta get out of randoms and find a group to battle lounge with, any group. Are you playing casual matchmaking or ranked? Because I'm starting to wonder if there's a Hearthstone effect going on here where "casual" is actually full of good people who don't want their numbers to go down while they work out some kinks on their char and ranked is mostly dummies like me who don't actually care what their number is.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

piratepilates posted:

At any one time there are more people watching a single not even top 3 random DOTA/LOL/CSGO/Minecraft/Hearthstone/Stardew Valley/Whatever streamer sitting in their apartment playing the game than total viewers for SF5.

That was also true of SF4.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Zand is being Zand as always, but yeah, getting better at fighting games requires you to do your homework, more so than any other competitive genre. Like, I played a fuckton of Overwatch this open beta and even when I was getting wrecked by certain strategies I could SEE what I was doing wrong. "oh, I need to find another route to deal with these turrets", "oh, I shouldn't float around snipers/Roadhog", "oh, I should keep away from Mei". Fighting games don't really teach you much just by playing them over and over, and anyone that thinks they do are severely underestimating how much experience with the genre they already have.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The more labwork I do with Vega, the angrier I get at Capcom.

I can almost imagine how pissed Zangief players are.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You just gotta get out of randoms and find a group to battle lounge with, any group. Are you playing casual matchmaking or ranked? Because I'm starting to wonder if there's a Hearthstone effect going on here where "casual" is actually full of good people who don't want their numbers to go down while they work out some kinks on their char and ranked is mostly dummies like me who don't actually care what their number is.

this is certainly the truth in my experience.almost everyone i play in casual when i'm warming up to play some ranked has just over a rank up value of lp. like 1005 or 3012 etc.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

The more labwork I do with Vega, the angrier I get at Capcom.

I can almost imagine how pissed Zangief players are.

A secret: every character will piss you off when you sit down and do lab work, it's why I dislike this game and I play the one character with a fuckton of tools.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dias posted:

A secret: every character will piss you off when you sit down and do lab work, it's why I dislike this game and I play the one character with a fuckton of tools.

nash?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He plays Chun because he's a degenerate

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

Zand is being Zand as always, but yeah, getting better at fighting games requires you to do your homework, more so than any other competitive genre. Like, I played a fuckton of Overwatch this open beta and even when I was getting wrecked by certain strategies I could SEE what I was doing wrong. "oh, I need to find another route to deal with these turrets", "oh, I shouldn't float around snipers/Roadhog", "oh, I should keep away from Mei". Fighting games don't really teach you much just by playing them over and over, and anyone that thinks they do are severely underestimating how much experience with the genre they already have.

if the easiest way to get better is by playing other locals why doesn't the game match me with players willing to fight offline against me at their house? how much does the game owe a player? practically no competitive games teach you how to compete at a high level using tools within the game. personally i wish there were more features in sfv, but expecting too much handholding in any competitive game is absurd... like I said, the tools are there, replays and training mode. the game doesn't show you how to use the tools but so what? hammers dont come with instruction manuals either, but you learn by doing. in fact, the act of exploration is a valuable experience in and of itself which has an importance that shouldn't be overlooked

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
look i need my leggy girl characters just leave me alone

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh play Cammy, she has nice legs

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Dias posted:

Here's some things I found out: Vega has the lowest # of specials that build meter (tied with Guile for 2) and the lowest percentage of specials that build meter ( 50%, tied with nobody), and seems to build the least amount of meter when he's allowed to build meter at all.

If you're playing a female character, one of your best anti-airs against Vega is to... crouch. For some reason Vega's air attacks have a really, really hard time hitting low. If you have a low profile button that causes most air attacks to whiff, even better, because Vega can NOT hit you. Even his cross up whiffs like mad.

Zangief has an option select against claw on vega. At footsie range, start an SPD from the back position when you see vega try to poke you. If he's in range, you'll block. If he's just out of range, his massive whiff punish hurtbox will give you the grab. This is probably true of every command grab with a good range.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 11, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baal posted:

Uh play Cammy, she has nice legs

yeah but she's not top tier

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I've got a super good way to deal with any and all problems you might be having with SFV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pomp posted:

yeah but she's not top tier

Her butt is