Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

So hey, how do I vote while I am overseas?
Head to your closest Australian consulate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Even better Google "aec vote overseas"

http://www.aec.gov.au/Voting/Ways_to_vote/overseas.htm

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birdstrike posted:

as if anyone in fuckin grayndler reads that poo poo anyway

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Newscorp trying to cause splits

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
*splits pants*

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mithranderp posted:

Regardless of $6,000 toasters, I hate the perpetuation of the 'trickle-down economics' myth. Cutting company taxes doesn't necessarily lead to more jobs--companies don't hire people just because they've got extra money, they hire people if there is more demand for their products and services.

Giving welfare recipients or lower-income earners even a modest increase in income will result in more demand for products and services because, funnily enough, poor people need to buy things. E.g. if I had an extra $20/fortnight I might be able to go to the hairdresser more than once a year, and on a large scale this would increase demand for hairdressers, and would lead to more jobs in hairdressing!

If someone on a higher income received $20 extra a fortnight, they might invest the extra money in shares or put it towards their mortgage, but it'd have little difference to their spending habits in general. Tax cuts for the rich don't stimulate the economy to the same scale that they do for the poor.
Do you have a law degree? Were you a student politician? Have you worked for a senior politician? Run an election campaign?

:smug: No. I didn't think so. How the gently caress do you think you know poo poo about complex stuff like the economy? Even economist don't. You have to have a specially honed intrinsic skill that few will ever get to the shining peak of ability necessary to do this sort of complex thinking. Now shut the gently caress up and let your betters do the thinking work on the household budget.

We catch some more terror minnows with our finely tuned boat stopper.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-11/preacher-among-five-arrested-over-alleged-plan-to-join-is/7403344

quote:

slamic preacher Musa Cerantonio among five arrested over alleged plan to join Islamic State Exclusive by the National Reporting Team's Dan Oakes and Sam Clark Updated 14 minutes ago

Notorious Islamic preacher Musa Cerantonio is among five men arrested in Cairns over an alleged plan to take a small boat to Indonesia and join the Islamic State (IS) terror group.

Shayden Thorne, the brother of another hardline Islamist, Junaid Thorne, was also arrested. Police arrested the men yesterday as they were towing a boat towards Cape York, in far north Queensland. They are being held on suspicion of foreign incursion offences. An Australian Federal Police (AFP) spokesperson confirmed five men had been arrested but gave few details. "The Australian Federal Police and Queensland Police can confirm they conducted operational activity in relation to an ongoing investigation in the north of Queensland [on Tuesday]," it said. "Five men have been arrested and are currently assisting police with enquiries. This activity is not related to a current or impending threat to the community. As this activity remains ongoing, further comment will be provided when it is appropriate to do so."

Preacher kept 'low profile' after deportation to Australia

Mr Cerantonio was born into an Italian family in Melbourne's western suburbs, but converted to Islam at the age of 17. A few years ago, he was one of the most popular and influential online preachers supporting the jihad in Iraq and Syria. In 2014 he was arrested on the Philippines island of Cebu after using Twitter to tell his followers that he had travelled to Syria. The Philippines authorities told the ABC at the time of his arrest that they had acted on information provided to them by the AFP. He was deported back to Australia after his passport was cancelled but never charged. Since then Mr Cerantonio has kept a relatively low profile online. Shayden Thorne was arrested in Saudi Arabia in 2011 and sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison for possessing terrorism-related materials on his laptop. He was granted clemency and deported to Australia in 2014.
'We only did it to prevent drownings at sea."

Everyday I think God (The proper one) that we are being protected from the appalling threat to themselves that these people and their relatives pose. There is no measure to intrusive or police power too extreme to ensure that our brave patriots have the tools they need to keep dingbats off the water and plastic swords out of the hands of muslims.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-11/musa-cerantonio-online-preacher-islamic-state/7403572

quote:

Musa Cerantonio: Who is the online preacher inspiring foreign fighters to join IS? Posted 18 minutes ago

Described as an "inspiration" to jihadists worldwide, Musa Cerantonio has emerged as one of the most influential online preachers supporting foreign fighters in the Syrian conflict. Raised a Catholic in Melbourne, Mr Cerantonio converted to Islam at the age of 17. The International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation (ICSR) described him as a "spiritual authority" for foreign fighters and an "outspoken cheerleader" for Islamic State (IS). The 2014 report said one in four foreign fighters followed his Twitter account and said he played an "important role in radicalising some individuals". It said Mr Cerantionio was "explicit" in his support for IS compared to his counterparts — a "set of spiritual authorities" influencing Westerners to become foreign fighters. He was named alongside US-based cleric Ahmad Musa Jibril as the two most popular authorities within foreign fighter networks. However, at the time there was no evidence to suggest either were physically involved in facilitating the flow of foreign fighters to Syria.

New links to IS emerge

On Tuesday Mr Cerantonio was among five men arrested in Cairns over an alleged plan to take a small boat to Indonesia and join IS.

Police arrested the men as they were towing a boat towards Cape York, in far north Queensland. Mr Cerantonio has been likened to Al Qaeda's most prolific online preacher, Anwar Al Awlaki, who was linked to attempted attacks in the US. Al Awlaki was killed in the 2011 drone strike in Yemen. In 2014, the preacher claimed he was travelling to Syria to join fighters of IS. He was later arrested on the Philippines island of Cebu after using Twitter to tell his followers he had travelled to Syria. Australian authorities previously said his social media postings were "offensive and disturbing". However, since his last arrest Mr Cerantonio has kept a relatively low profile online.
I mean the guy is clearly a criminal mastermind. Now I personally find some of the posting here "offensive and disturbing". Where do I apply to have a drone strike?

In all seriousness if you aren't yet worried about the fierce swing to the right in the granting of ex-judicial police powers to all and sundry. Here are more people who are being targeted because of their relatives and what they post online. I may violently disagree with everything about what Musa Cerantonio says but if he can't say what he likes (within the bounds of good taste and section 18C) on line then we can no longer call ourselves a free country and use that as a claim to some form of moral authority over others. Even worse, this sort of petulant involvement does more to recruit and radicalise people than a little benign neglect. Why not let them go on their way? If they were wearing appropriate life vest and had the necessary licenses they were no more harm to the world than any other five drongos in a run about. At least they were unlikely to be pissed.

So what? http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/former-car-salesman-drawn-into-world-of-internet/7399814

It's not like this isn't already happening here. We just tend to prosecute more vigorously and achieve convictions despite a derth of evidence. When all else fails we just deny everything and pretend it didn't happen while gagging everyone involved.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

dr_rat posted:

Only 'Looks like'? .....Abbott is pretty renowned for being completely garbage with his money.

I'll bet he's taken out a third mortgage to tide him over until he becomes Prime Minister again.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

What does Tones spend all his cash on? Is it coke?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Tony Abbott is very smart with money. He bought a fridge off Gumtree saving hundreds of dollars compared to buying new.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-91f3683c-5e3c-4a2e-92eb-7d7f6a024c02

For that person who wanted to know what happens to refugees on boats that drown and where they are buried, here is what happens in Europe.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-91f3683c-5e3c-4a2e-92eb-7d7f6a024c02

For that person who wanted to know what happens to refugees on boats that drown and where they are buried, here is what happens in Europe.
Which makes it even more strange that this information can not be found out about Australian maritime deaths.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Negligent posted:

Tony Abbott is very smart with money. He bought a fridge off Gumtree saving hundreds of dollars compared to buying new.

Truly a man of the people.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
"how dare poor people get BENEFITS when I GET NOTHING"

*jumps in new lexus 4x4 sipping latte*

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

stitched up by waleed

I dont watch them show or follow them at all but i find myself intrigued to these stories. Mostly because ive never been able to figure out why the stories are being written, near as i can tell too many people like waleed aly and also he doesnt deserve a gold logie?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Tony Abbott helped a guy push broken down car today, what a legend

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
More Greens' lies and deceit. Not to be trusted with their born to rule ideology and power at any cost.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Live Tanya Plibersek says she supports asylum boat turnbacks
Labor’s deputy leader says turnbacks have to be 'one of the policy options available to us' on day three of the election campaign. Follow all the developments live with Katharine Murphy

The LNP garbage fire.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Dick di Natale is in perth tomorrow, might pop down for a selfie and a conversation about the best kind of turtleneck to wear while drinking lattes

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

a black one, obviously

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Negligent posted:

a black one, obviously

True look how slimming it is.

<--------

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Election 2016: Liberal leadership tensions with MP Fiona Scott overshadow Turnbull's campaign

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has cancelled the rest of his day's campaign events after tensions from last year's Liberal leadership coup overshadowed his first day on the stump in western Sydney.

Lindsay MP Fiona Scott, famously lauded for her "sex appeal" by Tony Abbott during the 2013 campaign, refused to say whether she voted for Mr Turnbull in September's leadership vote.

Ms Scott has come under fire recently from Mr Abbott's supporters who branded her a traitor, accusing her of backing Mr Turnbull in last year's leadership battle.

"I take my role as a parliamentarian very, very seriously. In that, the solidarity of the partyroom is absolutely crucial," she told reporters while standing next to the Prime Minister.

"I don't leak from the partyroom … I don't intend to start leaking from the partyroom.

"People who do choose to do those things, that's a matter for them. But for me, I hold my own moral code."

The Prime Minister then stepped in to defend his MP.

"Fiona's spoken courageously there and, frankly, those partyroom ballots are secret ballots and they're secret for a reason," Mr Turnbull said.

Mr Turnbull was scheduled to attend a second event in the Lindsay electorate with Ms Scott, but the remainder of the Prime Minister's Wednesday's campaigning in Western Sydney has now been cancelled.

The ABC understands Mr Turnbull was planning to do a shopping centre walk at the Penrith Westfield shopping centre.

Ms Scott holds Lindsay by a slim 3 per cent margin after a recent redistribution in the seat.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-11/liberal-leadership-tensions-overshadow-election-campaign/7404450

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
God it's good to see Tones being a sexist shitlord continuing to bite both him and the libs in the arse.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Too bad Malc didn't get to go for a walk in the plaza. Some mint lil 2buck shops up the back past the posty.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"Hey, when the spill came did you vote for or against the Prime Minister who embarrassed you on national television?"

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

What's up with bill shorten flying around in a RAAF plane? Surely he should be taking a plane chartered by the Labor party and not taxpayers...?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
What does this mean for Kevin Rudd's leadership ambitions?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Election 2016: How will politicians and press travel during the federal election campaign?

During the federal election campaign, the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader will travel in a VIP jet, but the press will not enjoy such style.

Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten, along with their staff members, will be transported in two 737 Boeing Business Jets (BBJs) operated by the RAAF.

The BBJs can fly at 850 kilometres an hour while carrying 30 passengers and 6 crew members, with a range of 11,390 kilometres.

The VIP jets are decked out with a private suite for the leaders and equipped with a shower and sophisticated communications equipment.

But members of the press gallery will not have such luxurious transport.

The journalists following the leaders will be initially flown around Australia in two Hercules C130 aircraft.

C130s are used primarily for transporting troops and emergency supplies by the RAAF and are slowly being replaced by the larger C17 Globemaster aircraft.

They have a maximum range of 6,800 kilometres, with a cruising speed of 643 kilometres an hour, and they can carry a payload of 19,500 kilograms.

The media will eventually be transported using chartered jets once arrangements are put in place, but in the meantime, they have been advised to carry earplugs and wear warm clothing for the journey.

The Hercules have been around since 1958, but the latest model, the C130J, has been in service since 1999.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-09/how-will-politicians-press-travel-during-the-election-campaign/7394920

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

With articles like this, this is going to be a very poorly covered election campaign, with the press gallery putting in the least amount of effort possible

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

That's hosed. Shorten's travel should be paid for by the ALP and the press should be funded by news corp, Fairfax etc. Waste of taxpayers money.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The LNP should be paying for their own travel too, surely.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Man if I was a journo I'd be hype as gently caress for a C130-J ride.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

How many flunkies does BS have anyway that he needs a 737 sized plane

Ridiculous waste of money.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

In the interests of a fair campaign, all party leaders should have to share the same clapped out bus from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

That way they'll also be on hand to respond to each other's comments.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

So Butt Shortdick can swan around the country spouting his BS in a Boeing 737 but you take one helicopter flight and you get hounded out of office

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Turnbull shouldn't even waste anyone's time campaigning seeing as he's going to lose.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Yet more lieberal waste

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

s 3 of the constitution says the governor general's salary is set at £10,000

£10,000 in 1901 is $1,457,105.85 2015 dollars.

if I was peter cosgrove I'd be pissed at only $425,000

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

turdbucket posted:

Thanks for the help everyone!

Yeah it does a bit, I'll give them a call this week when I can get two hours free to deal with their poo poo lol.

Also thanks gay picnic defence, I did speak to someone at the uni before I dropped out as I think they removed failed subjects due to sad brains so I might be able to use that to help me.

You should be able to get failed subjects removed from your transcript if you present a medical certificate but I don't think that will count for Centerlink purposes. Give it a go though because Centerlink do seem to have a bit of leeway to make exceptions if you talk to the right person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Brick Dust Otis posted:

Man if I was a journo I'd be hype as gently caress for a C130-J ride.

I've flown from Hobart to East Sale RAAF Base in a C130-J. It's noisy as gently caress, but holy poo poo it can lift off the tarmac fast.

• Locked thread