Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Instructions Make Bombs, Not Glow Sticks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Of course it's from /pol/

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
See also:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah sometimes I get this thread mixed up with the STDH.txt thread too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah sometimes I get this thread mixed up with the STDH.txt thread too.
STDH.txt? Either way :lol: at both #LIFE_ayy_hacks

Hack your life into pieces,
this is your last resort ~♫

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I see potato wine season has started.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Jerry Cotton posted:

Isn't that just vodka?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Eh, wine is piss so why waste a fruit as good as that of potato on it? Just make some moonshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkEXUFlh_EA&hd=1

Crow Jane posted:

Isn't that just vodka?
You could make wine-esque drink from potatoes. but that would be loving chore. Potato vodka at home is easy as piss though, only part where any extent of effort is involved is hiding the setup from neighbours so you aren't asked to share.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Potato beer is technically just halfway to vodka. From what I understand, it has really no taste except potato and alcohol.

Potatoes are actually harder to brew with than people think. Vodka has a reputation as "potato liquor", but most of it is made from grain because potatoes are a bitch to prepare for fermentation.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Uh or I guess dump mashed potatos in the toilet and remember not to flush for a while? Not that hard really? :confused: #walla #solitary

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I normally make nettle beer this time of year, which is great because it's made of nettles, dandelion root, sugar, orange peels, and yeast. That's right: it's made primarily of garbage and plants nobody wants anyway, so you can even pick them in other people's gardens and they'll thank you for it! If you have a fermentation vat and some flip top bottle, all you have to pay for is the yeast. That's like 5 liters of booze for 50 cents! Or 10 liters. Or whatever other quantity you want to make. I have a 5 liter vat so I always think in terms of 5 liters.

But due to a rather serious injury I am somewhat daunted by the prospect of rooting around in a field, so I decided to make cider instead. I bought dry cider yeast and 5 liters of preservative-free pasteurized apple juice and threw it into a fermentation tank and walla:

The yeast packet says it can yield a cider of 6-9%. I'll update in two weeks.

I feel like someone should make a "walla" smiley

twoday has a new favorite as of 11:28 on May 11, 2016

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

twoday posted:

I normally make nettle beer this time of year, which is great because it's made of nettles, dandelion root, sugar, orange peels, and yeast. That's right: it's made primarily of garbage and plants nobody wants anyway, so you can even pick them in other people's gardens and they'll thank you for it! If you have a fermentation vat and some flip top bottle, all you have to pay for is the yeast. That's like 5 liters of booze for 50 cents! Or 10 liters. Or whatever other quantity you want to make. I have a 5 liter vat so I always think in terms of 5 liters.

Hold the phone you got my attention. Do you have a recipe for that?

And goondolances on your injury bro, hope you get better!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kalstrams posted:

STDH.txt? Either way :lol: at both #LIFE_ayy_hacks

Hack your life into pieces,
this is your last resort ~♫

SUFFOCATION, NO BREATHING is surprisingly fitting in this context.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

Hold the phone you got my attention. Do you have a recipe for that?

And goondolances on your injury bro, hope you get better!

Here is something similar. If you've never brewed anything before, this is a pretty good thing to start with. And once you have a fermenting vat and sterilizing tablets and that sort of stuff you can just randomly ferment all sorts of poo poo, whenever you want. Why buy nettle beer at the store like all the other chumps when you can make it yourself?

Always wear thick (preferably leather, not cloth) gloves and a long sleeve shirt when picking nettles. If you really want to be a dick about it, use only the top 6 or 8 leaves of each plant. Use young nettles that haven't been pollinated. Especially avoid pollinated female plants, which have some fiberous marijuana-like sexual organs dangling from their tops, these are bitter. Try to pick nettles from a scenic and remote pasture, and not a ditch on the side of the highway, because toxins.

Dandelion root is a pain in the rear end to pick, because it is deep and skinny. I haven't tried ginger, but I think it would be nice. I usually add some coriander seeds and orange zest when I'm boiling the wort. I think lime zest would go well too. And I usually use champagne yeast and Demerara sugar. Also, I usually buy a bunch flip top beers and drink those while its fermenting, so I can sterilize them and use them to bottle the beer when it's done.

Are you a brewer, or is that some kind of enema device in your avatar?

Edit: this video seems legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVi-sEI_U9s

twoday has a new favorite as of 12:33 on May 11, 2016

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
5kg of young nettle leaves? That sounds like a life hack!

twoday posted:

Are you a brewer, or is that some kind of enema device in your avatar?

No, I'm not a brewer :) I'm not sure but I think that's some kind of industrial douche that someone was kind enough to buy for me, assumingly because I spoke ill of fyad :haw: #lifehack

I do have a bit of family tradition in brewing and I do have the gear for it, but I haven't tried my hand at anything more serious than a hooch kit, and that's a while back too.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

FLEVOSAP

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This is veering dangerously far in the direction of good advice.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

twoday posted:

I feel like someone should make a "walla" smiley

Okay, I give. Are people using "walla" deliberately or just not realizing that it's spelled "voilą"?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
This thread, yes. Elsewhere, probably not

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Besesoth posted:

Okay, I give. Are people using "walla" deliberately or just not realizing that it's spelled "voilą"?

One of the earlier lifehacks that was posted used it, and we are using it jokingly. Please have more faith in us, friend

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

!!!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

For posterity:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

twoday
May 4, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

5kg of young nettle leaves? That sounds like a life hack!

No, I'm not a brewer :) I'm not sure but I think that's some kind of industrial douche that someone was kind enough to buy for me, assumingly because I spoke ill of fyad :haw: #lifehack

I do have a bit of family tradition in brewing and I do have the gear for it, but I haven't tried my hand at anything more serious than a hooch kit, and that's a while back too.

5kg is excessive. To make 5l I use a 10l pot and fill it with nettles. That's like a big shopping bag full. Or take the pot with you to the field to save time and not waste a shopping bag! #Nettlehacks

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

FutonForensic posted:

One of the earlier lifehacks that was posted used it, and we are using it jokingly. Please have more faith in us, friend

I'm partial to the inversion of using "Wally!" as a meta meme, but I'm also a terrible person. I bet you could toss ol'Trumperskuni on there and get some GBS cross use.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Eh, wine is piss so why waste a fruit as good as that of potato on it? Just make some moonshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkEXUFlh_EA&hd=1
You could make wine-esque drink from potatoes. but that would be loving chore. Potato vodka at home is easy as piss though, only part where any extent of effort is involved is hiding the setup from neighbours so you aren't asked to share.

How the gently caress do you know about anything involving potatoes

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

FutonForensic posted:

I fall victim to Poe's Law more often than I'd like to admit, so I wanted to be sure. :shobon:

(Also, I read the "Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out" thread. There's an awful lot of bad word-"knowledge" floating around.)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I feel like a bad person but I can't stop laughing at this headline

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I feel like a bad person but I can't stop laughing at this headline

Lethal memes. Yeah, this is what nature planned.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Drythe posted:

How the gently caress do you know about anything involving potatoes
Potatoes are like magnets.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

kalstrams posted:

Potatoes are like magnets.

So... miracles?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNP5ezxqIT8

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Paladinus posted:

Lethal memes. Yeah, this is what nature planned.

Oh, they'll run when the sun comes up, with their lives on the line.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know what the life hack is exactly but I know life hacking when I see it, and there is some pretty strong life hacking going on in this here picture.

Lime Tonics posted:

http://i.imgur.com/S2CTRbd.gifv

Supposedly a kickstarter is going to happen with this , thing.

Maybe it's the cat hair eating? Maybe it's the shillin of the mentally deranged? Maybe it's the gnarled floppy strap-on for the mouth? Maybe it's the that first cats huge unbleached rear end in a top hat? Maybe it's all of them together. I don't know exactly what it is, but it sure does have that unmistakable je ne sais walla about it.

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 08:17 on May 17, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

:wtc: I'm pretty sure it's somebody's fetish. It looks like a giant pacifier and is probably shipped together with an adult diaper.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

Maybe it's the that first cats huge unbleached rear end in a top hat?

Don't cats normally have unbleached assholes?

Or is getting your pet's anus whitened a thing now?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Palpek posted:

:wtc: I'm pretty sure it's somebody's fetish. It looks like a giant pacifier and is probably shipped together with an adult diaper.

I was thinking more of the furry market than the adult baby market, but apparently there's some crossover there.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I love how all the hacks involving cats will end with someone getting the poo poo scratched outta them.

Here's a cathack-- don't. It'll end in tears.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

OutsideAngel posted:

Don't cats normally have unbleached assholes?

Or is getting your pet's anus whitened a thing now?

I honestly don't know? I included it cause it funny, but I should probably direct credit to forums user Sappo569 for this, along with any questions it may have caused.