Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

I'm not sure what Nissan is getting out of it. I can only presume the Mitsubishi market share outside North America is worth something. :shrug:

In russia, they rebuild lovely lancers and stuff, so maybe there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And you didn't post the link to that Russian guy pulling the frame on a totaled car back in shape?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

And you didn't post the link to that Russian guy pulling the frame on a totaled car back in shape?
Oh, a frame isn't even a requirement.

They're all here: http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

MrYenko posted:

The RX-8 was an awesome little car in search of a powertrain that didn't suck.

The lady who lives upstairs from me just bought an RX8 with 210,000km on it. I warned her about the drive train but "the engine was already replaced at 100k so its ok!"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Oh, a frame isn't even a requirement.

They're all here: http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/

They really are masters at making deathtraps look inviting.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

tobu posted:

The lady who lives upstairs from me just bought an RX8 with 210,000km on it. I warned her about the drive train but "the engine was already replaced at 100k so its ok!"

Maybe it was replaced with an LS1!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Wheeee posted:

Maybe it was replaced with an LS1!

Put a ring on it

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Put a ring on it

If true, that would be the logical course of action.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

El Scotch posted:

I'm not sure what Nissan is getting out of it. I can only presume the Mitsubishi market share outside North America is worth something. :shrug:

Plugin hybrid stuff maybe?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

El Scotch posted:

From what I've heard, Mitsubishi has good market share in Southeast Asia, where Nissan has had a lot of trouble breaking in. Pretty natural acquisition for them, it seems. Now if they could stop trying to push that loving awful CVT...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

tobu posted:

Get dibs on it then slam an ls1 (or kangaroo-fucker equivalent) in when it suddenly becomes hard to start next week.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MechaFrogzilla posted:

From what I've heard, Mitsubishi has good market share in Southeast Asia, where Nissan has had a lot of trouble breaking in. Pretty natural acquisition for them, it seems. Now if they could stop trying to push that loving awful CVT...

Call that asia in general.
The lancer is the cheap car to get.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hey if you have a new 2016/2017 Subaru Legacy or Outback, Subaru wants you to stop immediately and call them because the steering column could fail

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/13/autos/subaru-recall/

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

El Scotch posted:

I've been watching emerging market car reviews (india, china etc) and they love their mitsubishi SUV's with "massive" 200nm torque

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

tobu posted:

Toyota is floating the idea of an 86 Shooting Brake at some festival in Melbourne. I kinda want to get a dog. What size dog do you think fits back there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtwlLLc0aJE

gently caress Subaru and gently caress Toyota for this kind of poo poo and still not upping the power to AT LEAST 250 hp, ideally via turbo. I know this is a polarizing topic, but having owned one for two years I have to say the people complaining about power were right, there should have been a HO version. All the "the power is enough crowd" could still have their cheaper NA version and maybe the dealer will throw in some complimentary saltines or plain lettuce. :argh:

blk posted:

http://jalopnik.com/nissan-will-take-control-of-mitsubishi-motors-1776219367

Carlos Ghosn is a much better Sergio Marchionne than Sergio Marchionne

On mergers yes, on fun cars no. :colbert:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Mat_Drinks posted:

gently caress Subaru and gently caress Toyota for this kind of poo poo and still not upping the power to AT LEAST 250 hp, ideally via turbo. I know this is a polarizing topic, but having owned one for two years I have to say the people complaining about power were right, there should have been a HO version. All the "the power is enough crowd" could still have their cheaper NA version and maybe the dealer will throw in some complimentary saltines or plain lettuce. :argh:

On mergers yes, on fun cars no. :colbert:

As someone who owns a brz i wish they would spend time fixing the enormous amounts of road noise and how horribly uncomfortable car is for anything more than a 30 minute drive. Basically the young people buying this car really dont need 250hp at the end of the day, theyre just looking for a cool looking car. Id love for subaru to fix the underlying problems AND add 250hp so i dont have to buy some used cayman, i can hear the endless "oh he drives a porsche he will buy us drinks" jokes from here

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 15, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Throatwarbler posted:

The Chrysler-Mazda merger is still possible, and just getting Mazda to make all of Chrysler's small and midsize sedans would be a good fit.

gently caress THAT

MrYenko posted:

The RX-8 was an awesome little car in search of a powertrain that didn't suck.

The engine's fun, it's just all the other stuff aside from driving it that was awful. (Gas mileage, reliability, rotary quirks, etc.) I sort of want Mazda to just put the nail in the rotary once and for all, but I think the rotary is such a part of their heritage that any hope of a sports car beyond the Miata would be done if they didn't have it as inspiration.

I think the only thing Mazda is lacking right now is something that is actually *fast,* not just "fast enough." Hopefully that turbo Skyactiv that's coming in the new CX9 works its way down to Mazdaspeed models of the 3, 6, and Miata, but they're such a small company that this stuff is going to take a long time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The engine's fun, it's just all the other stuff aside from driving it that was awful. (Gas mileage, reliability, rotary quirks, etc.) I sort of want Mazda to just put the nail in the rotary once and for all, but I think the rotary is such a part of their heritage that any hope of a sports car beyond the Miata would be done if they didn't have it as inspiration.

The Renesis is an abortion with apex seals. It's all of the normal problems of a wankel, without enough power to make them worth dealing with.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Has any other car company tried for this long and spent this much energy to make one technology work and it never really did?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Yes.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fyodor posted:

Has any other car company tried for this long and spent this much energy to make one technology work and it never really did?

Chevy with their small car platform? 60 degree v6's?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

fyodor posted:

VW's W8?*

*It worked better as a twin turbo W16 marketed towards oil tycoons.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ice cold

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

blugu64 posted:

Ice cold

He's not wrong. :(

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Ice cold

Probably overheating, actually. :v:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

VW couldn't figure out how to make it work beyond the Beetle, so it eventually did what everyone else in the small economy car market did.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

fyodor posted:

Saab and their entire business model.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Didn't they just make poo poo cars though rather than endlessly pursue some wacky idea

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

oh poo poo

Mazda's turbo Skyactiv is really interesting. I wonder if there's a possibility for RWD applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrY4g9EAveg

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 16, 2016

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Banano posted:

Didn't they just make poo poo cars though rather than endlessly pursue some wacky idea

They used to make really good cars. Then GM bought them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Uh, hardly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SzG6jqvy-Q

Checkmate bud.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

oRenj9 posted:

They used to make really good cars. Then GM bought them.

To be fair, they used to make really good cars, then they went broke, then GM bought them.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Banano posted:

I though they were a cup holder design firm that happened to make cars on the side.

https://youtu.be/l7ULaCgLp6A

https://youtu.be/yMxsf7PA95E

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Banano posted:

Pretty much.

Saab is like the anti Porsche.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Another problem with SAAB (except setting back the development of a part of my city with 2-3 decades) is that stuff like the interior (and exterior) in a > 2005 car looks like something from early 90's. They really didn't keep up.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I was making a comment about how they spent so many years overdeveloping and spending so much money on their cars that there was no way they'd turn a profit, and although there are some really good examples of the care they put into the cars (cupholders, for instance), it didn't really translate to consumers.

So the endless pursuit was for perfect cars and they never were able to get there, despite spending so much.

Mind you, in the last two decades a lot of it was GM's fault.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You know what guys

I was at the Chrysler dealership getting a free wash for my Challenger, and I was sitting around and messing with a Chrysler 200.

It... it really wasn't terrible. Granted I didn't drive it, but I actually kinda liked it. Other than the weird knob transmission dial, it was well laid out, had good features, a metric ton of storage, was decently sized... why does it get lovely reviews again?

It's sized kind of between small- and midsize- cars, which makes it kind of a weird duck to review stuff against, but really, all I've read are terrible reviews, and I'm wondering if it's all warranted.

I also was checking out a new Pacifica they had, and I'll tell you what, if I hated myself enough to daily drive a minivan, I'd get that one. I hope I can rent one later this year to take my family to the east coast.

I guess I don't understand a lot of the hate towards Chrysler products. When they had the Avenger and the previous 200 around, yeah, those were awful. Yeah, their cars are kinda heavy relative to other makes. But compared to a lot of the other stuff I've driven (mostly rentals, to be sure)... not too bad, I think.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Transmission was awful - which has largely been fixed, but the shift programming is terrible. The knob is bad. I actually don't hate the car that much, it's just not better than its competitors. The bar is pretty high at this point.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Transmission woes aside I think it's less the 200 being bad than the competition being so fierce.

Probably snag a great deal on one now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Hey, at least Saab was way ahead of the competion in realizing how much the keychain dangling on your knee sucks. It's a horrible road hazard when you're speeding on the highways while trying to somehow wrap the keychain around the key. Thousands must die daily because of that!