Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

argondamn posted:

Apparently transferring your saves to a different account unlocks the hidden and much coveted autosummon feature?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119111456394/

OMG what is up with FROM and these super obscure quests?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Carl Seitan posted:

OMG what is up with FROM and these super obscure quests?!?!

They are designed to be figured out by a community of people sharing information.

Like the lore.

And if they arent, they sure seem like it.

From's Law. It's impossible to tell bad design from obtuse community puzzles.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

And just like Poe's Law, most of the time it really is just racism/bad design.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is a "I don't care about rolling, here is my sturdy huge shield and giant smashy weapon" build viable? If so knight or warrior to start?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Simply Simon posted:

can only shake my head when someone says "this boss is like objectively easy because he has a clear pattern" because I suck at patterns, I always have, so while the boss has objectively a pattern, this makes it subjectively far harder for me. It's not something I will ever learn. The longer a boss takes, the more impatient I will become, and when THE tactic for the boss is "do exactly this when he does this and do that when he does that", I will mix up this and that at some point and get hit and often that's bad-

This reminds me so much of my timeplaying most of the DMC games. Even when I had the patterns down perfect, I'd get impatient after the Nth loop of said pattern and whoops now I'm dead.

Knifegrab posted:

Is a "I don't care about rolling, here is my sturdy huge shield and giant smashy weapon" build viable? If so knight or warrior to start?

While I'm hazy on the start, Greatshields are still fairly decent at tanking (if you got the stamina for it too). Great Axe type weapons are also generally the fastest of the huge weapons, so would mesh well with going between huge blocks and huge swings.

You're gonna need a lot of VIT even with the Havel's ring though, to carry both without fat rolling (70%+ equip load is fatty roll). And there are a lot of moves that tell shields to just go get hosed, so you want to not fat roll.

EDIT: It's 32 STR to one hand the Great Axe, and to use the most forgiving of the 100% physical Greatshields. Though there are a bunch more Greatshields that need 36-40 STR (accessibly much earlier too), and if you are going full smashey you may as well aim for 40-50 STR anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 15, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

I played with a greatshield my first playthrough and they're pretty awesome

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Abyss Watchers were Gwyn/Maria/Artorias distilled down to an even more refined version and that makes them extremely my jam. By far my favorite fight in the game.

And they give the best weapon. Sifsword 4 Lyfe.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Couldn't log onto their servers last night so I did an area offline. I found it weird that the stuttering still happened while offline. However I noticed it didn't happen in firelink, it only happened once every 3-4 minutes, and it also froze the game completely instead of just the graphics so there wasn't any getting hit while the screen wasn't updating or whatever. It wasn't as serious as people have made it sound, even though it really does need to be fixed.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Knight, it's the best class for most builds. warrior have 11 luck while knight have 7, so far less wasted stats just there.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Digirat posted:

Couldn't log onto their servers last night so I did an area offline. I found it weird that the stuttering still happened while offline. However I noticed it didn't happen in firelink, it only happened once every 3-4 minutes, and it also froze the game completely instead of just the graphics so there wasn't any getting hit while the screen wasn't updating or whatever. It wasn't as serious as people have made it sound, even though it really does need to be fixed.

oh good so thats not just my pc being poo poo. since the start of the weekend ive jsut randomly been getting like 1 second pauses in the game every few minutes with absolutely no idea why.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's a result of the update that prevented hackers from doing certain things and it's happening to everyone (which does not explain why it still happens offline)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It has nothing to do with the anti-hacker stuff directly. I was doing what the patch did with no stutters, way back during DS1 even.

They're doing something else.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wow, I ran into a pyro build (I'm sl125) and since I only had 3 estus I got owned by his l2 whip attack. How on earth do you avoid that, side roll?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Now that people seem to have figured out a workaround for auto-summons, what are the chances FROM puts out a patch fixing it quickly?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It depends entirely on if they can figure out how to fix it.

I remind you it took them four years and two games to figure out how to fix forced dragon body, and all they had to do was flip a switch that had been there the whole time.

Seriously. Every effect has a switch basically labeled "OTHER PEOPLE CAN HIT YOU WITH THIS". Took them years to flick it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Now that people seem to have figured out a workaround for auto-summons, what are the chances FROM puts out a patch fixing it quickly?

Zero. it's from soft, they left the durability bug in for pc DS 2 players, along with other bugs. They either don't give a poo poo about pc players or have no idea how their pc ports actually work

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
After killing Soul of Cinder I tried to do some PvP with my lovely build which was basically the opposite of optimized for PvP (Miracle-heavy, low HP, Astora Greatsword isn't great when you're not used to PvP timings) and went like 0 kills in 20 tries so I figured I lost all my PvP mojo. Having tried now with a build that's instead really strong (albeit lower level), I have decided to blame it all on poo poo HP and Miracles being rear end. Carthus Curved Sword (OP as all hell) + Great Chaos Fire Orb (Also OP although less so in PvP since I play M+KB which makes the snap-turns to hit people rolling past you without lockon an enormous pain to pull off) and a good amount of levels in HP makes all the difference it turns out, I went about 10 - 5 instead.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
If any of you are hankering for a lets play, Criken is doing one with Vaati and bedbananas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzWWoG0C1ns

Later on he ends up with Boulder vomit and absolutely annihilates Morne with it somehow. I kinda want to do a boulder vomit build now

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 15, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hm, I wonder how Vaati will do when he doesn't have anything to steal from for conversation

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

BillmasterCozb posted:

Hm, I wonder how Vaati will do when he doesn't have anything to steal from for conversation

this is why we need our own wiki, full of false information, that becomes more popular than fextralife

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

It depends entirely on if they can figure out how to fix it.

I remind you it took them four years and two games to figure out how to fix forced dragon body, and all they had to do was flip a switch that had been there the whole time.

Seriously. Every effect has a switch basically labeled "OTHER PEOPLE CAN HIT YOU WITH THIS". Took them years to flick it.

Atreiden posted:

Zero. it's from soft, they left the durability bug in for pc DS 2 players, along with other bugs. They either don't give a poo poo about pc players or have no idea how their pc ports actually work
poo poo. I didn't want to mess around with the 10 seconds of effort this would take to fix, but I also want those invasions.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

After killing Soul of Cinder I tried to do some PvP with my lovely build which was basically the opposite of optimized for PvP (Miracle-heavy, low HP, Astora Greatsword isn't great when you're not used to PvP timings) and went like 0 kills in 20 tries so I figured I lost all my PvP mojo. Having tried now with a build that's instead really strong (albeit lower level), I have decided to blame it all on poo poo HP and Miracles being rear end. Carthus Curved Sword (OP as all hell) + Great Chaos Fire Orb (Also OP although less so in PvP since I play M+KB which makes the snap-turns to hit people rolling past you without lockon an enormous pain to pull off) and a good amount of levels in HP makes all the difference it turns out, I went about 10 - 5 instead.

Random protip for using curved swords. They're really good at roll catching. After hitting someone you can take a step forward and then press r1 and if they're just panic rolling you're pretty much guaranteed to hit them out of their roll. I've done 1000+ damage to people by doing this repeatedly, it ought to be highly effective at lower levels.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fextralife is so loving bad, I don't know if they just had better SEO or what but they always showed up ahead of wikidot for dark souls 2 even though wikidot was way better.

I remember when people were trying to figure out exactly how poise worked for dark souls 2, there was some dumbass page on fextralife that seriously claimed it was locational damage and if you were hit in the leg, only the poise of your leg armor would count, etc, with a fake diagram of the hitboxes on the player and everything. It doesn't seem to be up there anymore but I have still recently seen it cited. Why do morons pull things like this out of their rear end and then put it on wikis/reddit claiming it's the truth? What do they get out of doing this?

I also remember looking up vendrick on fextralife to find a better strategy on how to beat him and there was just a war of edits on his page arguing about whether or not he was in fact a hard boss. Garbage wiki.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Knifegrab posted:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

A guy on twitch, who beat the game at SL1 NG+7, just beat the whole game at SL1 NG without rolling, parrying or blocking against all bosses. I think lord of cinder took him 20 hours.

https://www.twitch.tv/tolomeor/profile

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
He did that a week ago but yes, SOC was 15+ hours of attempts.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So Tallgeese, found out what poise does?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKPdD4eaU1g
Is a PvP build dumb if it works? Look at that equipment weight

This would be hilarious in the dungeon. People might not even be able to get around you in those corridors.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

poo poo. I didn't want to mess around with the 10 seconds of effort this would take to fix, but I also want those invasions.

It's worth it, if you actually want to experience constant summons as a blue-cop. Took me no more than 3 hours to get the 30 proof of concords and it was really nice to not have to wait more than a couple of minutes between each summon on Sl 60 with +6 weapons. But it's dumb as hell, that that fix actually work

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Random protip for using curved swords. They're really good at roll catching. After hitting someone you can take a step forward and then press r1 and if they're just panic rolling you're pretty much guaranteed to hit them out of their roll. I've done 1000+ damage to people by doing this repeatedly, it ought to be highly effective at lower levels.

Are they good against people who are spam-rolling away from you while you're trying to catch up? That always seemed to be my biggest problem; if someone's just rolling away after a hit, I'm usually okay at spacing out my swings to catch them on a roll. But once someone has actually gotten away and begins to sprint, I have a lot of trouble chasing them down and getting in a hit because the straight sword's dashing R1 seems just slow enough for people to reflex-roll.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Atreiden posted:

The consoles are affected by the same issue, it's FROMs serverside matchmaking that is loving up. Making a new account just puts you in a different position in the matchmaking system that is (hopefully) more likely to get matched.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Bombadilillo posted:

If siegward was there he should be alive

I unlocked Seigward from that cell. Still no Greirat.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

argondamn posted:

Apparently transferring your saves to a different account unlocks the hidden and much coveted autosummon feature?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119111456394/

Sin is now tied to your Steam/PSN/XBL account instead of your game files, clearly

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Bombadilillo posted:

They are designed to be figured out by a community of people sharing information.

Like the lore.

And if they arent, they sure seem like it.

From's Law. It's impossible to tell bad design from obtuse community puzzles.

When applying From's Law, also apply Occam's Razor.

Impossible to tell bad design from obtuse puzzles.

Bad design or obtuse puzzles.

Bad design.

Respecced to a pure STR build with STR at 40. Got my dark sword to +8 with a heavy infusion. It hits pretty good, though I'm uncomfortable with things taking 4+ hits now.

I had to farm the same knight at the Lothric Bonfire for an hour to get 4 chunks. I also got 3 sunlight medals to drop, and 328k souls :stonk:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

Are they good against people who are spam-rolling away from you while you're trying to catch up? That always seemed to be my biggest problem; if someone's just rolling away after a hit, I'm usually okay at spacing out my swings to catch them on a roll. But once someone has actually gotten away and begins to sprint, I have a lot of trouble chasing them down and getting in a hit because the straight sword's dashing R1 seems just slow enough for people to reflex-roll.

Straight swords are really good for chasing people down because both the 1handed and 2handed running attacks are good at that but have significantly different timings. Mix the two up and you'll be able to get in a hit now and then. The 2handed one tends to be a bit better since they dodge too early expecting the speed of the 1handed one.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I invade right into some ganking club and run away from host+summons+their red friend, then "connection lost" after I get the chance to take a swig of Estus.

Where were all these sad pathethic losers lameasses in Bloodborne where a skilled invader would stay behind and win in situations like that?

They were quickly quitting to menu in the game rather than quitting the game entirely, that's where they were. gently caress those people.

e: Straigthswords are great for chasing people down BECAUSE THEIR HITBOXES BEAT WEAPONS TWICE THEIR LENGTH

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 15, 2016

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Straight swords are really good for chasing people down because both the 1handed and 2handed running attacks are good at that but have significantly different timings. Mix the two up and you'll be able to get in a hit now and then. The 2handed one tends to be a bit better since they dodge too early expecting the speed of the 1handed one.

The delayed arcing sweep that most straight swords have for running attacks seem awful for catching running people. By the time your attack finishes they'll be out of range if they just keep sprinting barring some latency shenanigans. It sure isn't a katana sprinting r1 that gets you monster lunging range.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Oh, I keep forgetting about the two-handed moveset. It's just that when I was PVPing, it was with a +2 raw weapon so two-handing it would add only 1 or 2 points of damage, and nobody seemed to be stupid enough to get hit by the telegraphed guard-breaking weapon art, so I gave up on using it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

The delayed arcing sweep that most straight swords have for running attacks seem awful for catching running people. By the time your attack finishes they'll be out of range if they just keep sprinting barring some latency shenanigans. It sure isn't a katana sprinting r1 that gets you monster lunging range.

Uh, yeah, that's not the case at all. It's really good for catching people that are trying to run away. You need to be close to them than something with a bit more range like the katana running attack, but ti's very effective nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I kinda hope that FROM eventually fixes the matchmaking queue stuff (apparently it's somehow tied to account age? My steam account is 12 years old and I've gotten exactly 0 autosummons after 42 hours of play time). It's amazing to me that a game like Dark Souls 3 can sell 8 million copies and still the company making it doesn't have software engineers and coding capacity enough to properly understand how to integrate their game with steam or do proper QA. That poo poo would not fly in my industry lol.