Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Well, for some of the people it may have been a bad time or something, but as an example, Asiina's recent game was cancelled due to lurking/people not submitting actions/etc.

:( what the hell. Also this is especially egregious because Asiina makes great setups and this at least the second game of hers I know of that had this happen. hosed up fam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I sent infinitum the pm. It's me.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

:( what the hell. Also this is especially egregious because Asiina makes great setups and this at least the second game of hers I know of that had this happen. hosed up fam.

I didn't really look into the whole setup of the game, but Rarity was scum who was unlynchable/unkillable, that was announced to the thread as unkillable scum at the start of day 1 as part of her role (she could be killed when the other scum were dead). Her role basically gave her no incentive to post or participate in anyway at all. I am sure the town had some goofy weird roles as well, and in setups like that once people use their night actions or whatever, and the zany goofiness dies down, the game dies down because no one can take it seriously

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Rarity I can understand not participating because yeah, she had zero reason to.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Max posted:

Rarity I can understand not participating because yeah, she had zero reason to.

it gets to a point where scum hunting is weird though. Like I died night 1, so there was rarity and one other scum. That scum had no incentive to protect rarity, and rarity had no incentive to do anything. There was no way to link any players or play traditional mafia

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
And its nothing against asiina, Choose your own crazy role madness games can be fun, but this kind of thing happens in those types of games.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
oh was it a CYOR? Those games die so fast. Like d1 is always great, but after that it is a wash

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also is it just me or is the mafia community getting way big? (this is a good thing)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Eh, I get why Rarity didn't take part. But I don't think the others really had any excuse.

Kashuno posted:

oh was it a CYOR? Those games die so fast. Like d1 is always great, but after that it is a wash

CYO Musical, Asiina designed the roles.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That setup definitely had issues. I talked about it in the thread for the game afterwards. I made Jake too strong that I didn't want to give scum too much more, but then Jake died D1 so they ended up really underpowered. My bad, live and learn.

That said, it wasn't just Rarity who wasn't posting and my opinion doesn't come from just that game. I know I take a harder stance than most people about lurking and poo poo posting, but I really think it can ruin games and I find it frustrating both as a mod and as a player when someone decides to simply not participate in one form or another because as we've discussed at length, there really is no good solution for anyone. Modkilling sucks and lynching lurkers sucks. So I have no problem with being proactive and either not letting people who do this often play in my games or not signing up for games that have a high number of those people in the player list.

That said, I wouldn't tell another mod what to do, but I may give advice if I think that they are new or don't know.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Sounds like Rarity's fault

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

The other game of mine that died was a CYOR game. I think maybe those games are just bad. They sound great in theory, but they almost always turn out terrible.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

The other game of mine that died was a CYOR game. I think maybe those games are just bad. They sound great in theory, but they almost always turn out terrible.

:yeah:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Pretty much. They are amazing for a day or so and then it just dies

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
rhinoceros or whatever that one was call was great

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
CYOR but its a point buy system

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Wow what topical discussion related to my Mafia Personality Test! I've got 32 responses of my hopeful 75 so far, though I feel like most every regular poster in this thread has probably already filled it out. Do you all think 75 is unrealistic? Do we even have 75 active players?

Old post:

jon joe posted:

Hello, I have made a Mafia Personality Test, please take it and share it. My goal is to get at least 75 responses. There is a 4-question pre section, followed by a 30 question likert scale section. I'm going to factor analyze the data to see if I can't come up with actual Mafia personality traits. Then I'm going to make a game where I have the players take the new test and receive a role based on their personality.

Thank you very much.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know that we have 75 currently active players, maybe 50 tops

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

I don't know that we have 75 currently active players, maybe 50 tops

Well, gotta catch 'em all!

Also if you see any retired players lurking around, send it their way too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
rent it out to gbs mafia

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

As an inactive player I still posted.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

When do I get my test results. Am I infected?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

rent it out to gbs mafia

Excellent idea capps. I asked microwave's mom if I could post in his thread.

Rurea posted:

When do I get my test results. Am I infected?

You have the chronic.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I once ran a CYOR Wild Cards game that worked out kinda OK, but that was because we included the whole Joker ability mechanic into it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

Buy katamari damacy

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

Buy katamari damacy

what a great series

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I love that game, so freaking fun.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
what do you guys think is a good way to balance the Beloved Princess role?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

I love that game, so freaking fun.

The music of it is dumb good for the entirety of the series

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Town Vigs

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Kashuno posted:

Lightning Rod

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Kashuno posted:

All townspeople know who the princess is. Scum do not.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

That seems like a little much since it'd be way easy to catch out scum for pushing a lynch on the role. Maybe the Beloved Princess is alignment- or role-confirmed to one or two town?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

That sounds like an easy enough way to out your scum team on day 1.

A couple of people knowing though would be good.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

That sounds like an easy enough way to out your scum team on day 1.

A couple of people knowing though would be good.

:hfive:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Podima posted:

That seems like a little much since it'd be way easy to catch out scum for pushing a lynch on the role. Maybe the Beloved Princess is alignment- or role-confirmed to one or two town?

All vanilla townspeople, then. Power roles and scum don't get it, making it a dicier proposition to lynch anyone trying to lynch the princess.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'm back. I've caught up on this thread for reasons unknown even to me. I am sad I missed the 1000th page, I was looking forward to that.

MG3 posted:

Also I am going to set up a bee colony in my backyard on tuesday. Everyone that can have bees invest in a colony and help those suckers survive. America's bee population has declined by 44% in recent years, which is terrible for nature.

Bees are awesome. Probably one of my favorite animals. Hopefully one day I can have my own colony.
I hope when mankind goes to colonize space, we bring bees and they have little bee spacesuits.

TMMadman posted:

Hamsters are boring and dumb. Get a rat instead.

I had rats; they are awesome.

King Burgundy posted:

Of course, this all gets really interesting going forward with the increasing capabilities of AI and automation. Eventually we reach a point where there isn't actually useful work for everyone to do. It's hilarious and sad that I've sometimes been told not to automate/streamline certain tasks because it would obsolete too many people. "Can't we just find something better for those people to be doing then manually manipulating those spreadsheets?" "No".

At some point we are going to reach a tipping point where there isn't enough useful work to be done and have to explore things like guaranteed income.

I study this field (one more year to go!). One of my lab projects was to automate this guy out of a job. He loaded these plastic things into a machine that linked them together. It was my job to replace him with a robot arm. The professor was all "Hurrrr, use the Kinect2 point clouds" so my presentation became "Why point clouds are a bad idea for this task" and that guy lives to be replaced another day. Though now I'm being reoffered the task as a Masters thesis. >.>

CCKeane posted:

I hope everything gets automated and I can sit about being fed grapes by a sexbot, who I will disappoint regularly by preferring eating grapes to consummating our relationship.

Sexbot is redundant. Who makes a robot you can't have sex with?

Azuth0667 posted:

This I cannot wait until all the lovely drivers are safely behind an AI that will observe safety rules and laws. This includes semi-tractor trailors because holy gently caress are they horrible drivers in New England.

Driverless cars are going to be amazing. There are like infinite benefits to having one and to everyone else having one too. I'm getting one as soon as I can. I hate driving. I hate everyone else that drives too. Whoever allowed humans to drive was an idiot.

King Burgundy posted:

Btw, if you are in the Chicago area and want to meet up, I'll be there this week, fyi. Probably available Wed or Thu night, but the rest of the week it looks like they've got me too busy to do anything.

If you're still in Chicago next year, and you're interested, we should meet up.

Kumbamontu posted:

Statistics is bullshit because the only reason it is necessary is due to our own lack of information.

There is no "chance" that an event will occur*; the outcome is deterministic, depending on an absolutely enormous number of factors. Statistics only exists because we don't know what all those factors are. If we did, there would be no point in calculating probability.

* Outside of the quantum world

Obviously this is a very reductionist view of statistics but that is how I justify my utter contempt for it.

Stats is tragically intertwined with robotics. Outcomes are only even potentially deterministic if you have a fully described situation. And even if you knew every detail of every factor, it'd be too much information to handle. You'll want to write a program that estimates how an action will play out, carry out the action, make some observations, and then update the probabilities - which unfortunately requires statistics. Even if you knew the pull every fiber on the ground in your lab would make on your robot's wheels at every point in time, your program would be insanely slow, large, and not very helpful to anyone else.

CCKeane posted:

I will get married when my bride can best me in combat. It's why I date so many fencers.

I fence. Want to date me?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Guys why is dating so loving hard

Dating would be so much easier if we as a society could speak to random people.
I sit on the bus/train/tram/whatever and see so many potential friends. :(
Your real problem though is that humans are awful and should be replaced with robots.

But if you think things are bad where you are, you should try Germany.
We overheard some people complaining about not having enough men (geography is mostly female apparently? [the anti-Computer Science!]), and we went over to talk to them.
Still couldn't get any contact info. Germans hate making new friends I guess. Some metaphor about fruit and coconuts or something...

Okay, that was probably too much effort for this thread. :D

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Monster Hunter Mafia has ended with a Serial Killer Victory!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

To be honest, I don't know of a good way to balance the princess role. Either you're including it for ~flavor~ or because you're trying to hamstring the town.

If it's flavor, who cares about balance, make the game how you want to and enjoy the story that unfolds.

If it's to hamstring the town, figure out why you want the town to lose a day phase. Arbitrarily including a princess because the town has too much night-action shenanigans going on just compounds the problem. Scum getting an extra night-kill doesn't balance out an extra investigation/tracking/watching because in the absence of the lynch, scum need to kill far more people than the town needs to remove. Removing a lynch that might hit townspeople and replacing it with one more likely to hit scum is almost no benefit at all aside from the psychological effect "OH GOD, WE LOST A DAY OF LYNCHING" some town players might develop.

Instead of removing a day phase, you could have the princess' death roleblock the town that night. That might actually work better as a town detriment/scum bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don't think the princess role can really be balanced outside of giving the princess a specific power