Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

poopkitty posted:

I retire in 15 days. No terminal leave. Still have no plane ticket out of Japan and I'm afraid I'll be forced to extend for a month because they have their heads in their asses. Yay.

Where you settling down chief?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Pretty sure she's spoken for shipmate

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

LingcodKilla posted:

Texas, where our family is (and 2 retirement checks is enough to live on.)

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

LOL. Indeed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Pffft. I aint got time for that.

Plus I'm a scrub.

Texas? Yikes. Well enjoy the affordable life.

Always good to hear about people roughly my age able to retire.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 16, 2016

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

LingcodKilla posted:

You know it's a forum on the internet and you can skip the hallway small talk.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

More of my sailors are getting told they can't convert to CTN without a "degree in Computer Science". Is anyone else hearing this from that crusted rear end CTNCM? No other disqualifying factors on them, this is the general answer being given out by the community manager to the CTIs I'm working with.

I'm going to call tomorrow and ask him if we have the loving number for OCS on accident. They take seventeen year olds for this poo poo, I shouldn't have to defend sailors that already have work experience.

That CTNCM is a loving idiot. I have literally never met a CTN or IT with a no-poo poo 4-year computer science degree [from any accredited school].

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

hogmartin posted:

Show of hands, who's actually still in the loving Navy vs. who's just here because they got out a decade ago and sometimes miss talking Navy to people who who know wtf they're talking about.

What's up with people coming in the building through the door on their left, amirite? :PO2 Seinfeld:

Still in. I hit 8 years in October.

The Valley Stared posted:

So, I'm going to Japan in a few months. I'm a dirty dirty SWO, and I'm curious as to how much I'll love/hate my life. Mind, I wanted to go to Japan, and I wanted to be on a Destroyer, but I got a "great" job. I'll be in Yokosuka, so any places that I HAVE to go?

I did my first DIVO tour in Japan as a SWO on a DDG before I lat transferred. I abso-loving-lutely hated the SWO Navy and all of its bullshit, but I loved Japan. Fast-forward 8 years (10 by the time I get back out there) and I'm headed back out there to do my O4 milestone as a CSG commo (I'm an 1820). The culture/history is great. The language barrier/culture shock will be there if you've never spent time abroad, but those things actually become pretty endearing after a couple months and they're not insurmountable at all.

Which ship?

buttplug fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 16, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've done Okinawa, it was fun but that was before lib restrictions out the rear end. Mainland Japan is still a big one on my wishlist. The culture and sights are why I want to go back, Japan was a really cool place and as 9thers have said here, the people are super friendly provided you don't act like a jackass.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

poopkitty posted:

I retire in 15 days. No terminal leave. Still have no plane ticket out of Japan and I'm afraid I'll be forced to extend for a month because they have their heads in their asses. Yay.

I am already on terminal leave, but cannot go anywhere until PSD gives me an appointment. Stay strong, fellow navy leaver.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

poopkitty posted:

If your admin is as awesome as ours is, you probably won't have a flight until the day you are supposed to leave. My last flight to california wasn't booked until 3 hours before the plane left.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If your admin is as awesome as ours is, you probably won't have a flight until the day you are supposed to leave. My last flight to california wasn't booked until 3 hours before the plane left.

Got my flight this afternoon, finally. One of the guys in the office has a wife at NAVPTO, she fixed my poo poo for me. Admin sucks rear end. I have been stamping my feet in the office for a week, and a GS 9 saved my butt. Thanks, Mrs. Z.

I fly on Friday.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

Admin sucks rear end.

What? Pfffft.

Today I learned that the VA hosed up my disability appointments. They were both supposed to be today, but oops, looks like ones today at 2 and the other is Wednesday! It's not like I have to take off of work for these, or drive three hours to Milwaukee for them or anything. Hopefully when I call my boss and mention 'VA' and 'hosed up' he won't give me too much poo poo.

For a positive Navy related thing, my brother leaves on some kind of Scandinavian cruise soon. He says they're hitting iceland/norway/etc. That sounds pretty awesome, anyone ever been on a cruise like that? Anything I should tell him to not miss out on?

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 16, 2016

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Friendly reminder to all of you getting out not to be dumb asses, make sure that all the amounts they tell you at PSD are right and that whatever they give you reflects the paperwork they give you. Got a friend that has to pay back about 8 grand because of a gently caress up and now they're garnishing his wages until they get it back.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Read ALL the loving paperwork.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Yesterday while doing paperwork (and reading it,) I found out that I have been getting COLA for 2 dependents, not 3. Since my husband retired, almost a year ago. Yay back pay. It's like $60 a month, give or take. That's enough to pay for my "I'm finally free" hair and nails. (Because I cannot grow a retiree beard.)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

What? Pfffft.

Today I learned that the VA hosed up my disability appointments. They were both supposed to be today, but oops, looks like ones today at 2 and the other is Wednesday! It's not like I have to take off of work for these, or drive three hours to Milwaukee for them or anything. Hopefully when I call my boss and mention 'VA' and 'hosed up' he won't give me too much poo poo.

For a positive Navy related thing, my brother leaves on some kind of Scandinavian cruise soon. He says they're hitting iceland/norway/etc. That sounds pretty awesome, anyone ever been on a cruise like that? Anything I should tell him to not miss out on?

If Russian or Norwegian sailors offer to take him out to drink vodka, do not decline, and do not be surprised at the amount of vodka they can drink. Also, there's apparently a bar in Malmo that serves wooly mammoth burgers which are absolutely worth the $30 or whatever. (May be less than 1% actual wooly mammoth meat).

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

poopkitty posted:

Yesterday while doing paperwork (and reading it,) I found out that I have been getting COLA for 2 dependents, not 3. Since my husband retired, almost a year ago. Yay back pay. It's like $60 a month, give or take. That's enough to pay for my "I'm finally free" hair and nails. (Because I cannot grow a retiree beard.)

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

buttplug posted:

That CTNCM is a loving idiot. I have literally never met a CTN or IT with a no-poo poo 4-year computer science degree [from any accredited school].

I start GA Tech in the fall (but I'll be out before I graduate).

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

hogmartin posted:

Show of hands, who's actually still in the loving Navy vs. who's just here because they got out a decade ago and sometimes miss talking Navy to people who who know wtf they're talking about.

What's up with people coming in the building through the door on their left, amirite? :PO2 Seinfeld:

IT1 with 10 in, just re-enlisted for 6, i think i may need help. Currently in japan with the airwing (if you're an IT, stay the gently caress away from this airwing.)

As for things to do in japan, just look at the train map, pick a station at random, go to it and go for a walk around. Go find a random restaurant to check out, see the sights and enjoy it. It's the way i've had the most fun with seeing things around here.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chuckle posted:

IT1 with 10 in, just re-enlisted for 6, i think i may need help. Currently in japan with the airwing (if you're an IT, stay the gently caress away from this airwing.)

As for things to do in japan, just look at the train map, pick a station at random, go to it and go for a walk around. Go find a random restaurant to check out, see the sights and enjoy it. It's the way i've had the most fun with seeing things around here.

Which squadron? I'm on the other side of the flight line bro

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Which squadron? I'm on the other side of the flight line bro

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Im right next door at 51, freaky how small the navy is.

Also the only IT1 at 51 :D

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Geez Louise there's like four goons at Atsugi right now

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

There were four goons on one destroyer in japan at one point, and possibly more. It's because you're in Japan.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Crippling autism and social awkwardness levels are approaching critical mass

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Crippling autism and social awkwardness levels are approaching critical mass

Wait til m0t gets to the CSG staff

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

vulturesrow posted:

God help us all

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Do you still have to complete overseas leave requirements if you're traveling on terminal leave?

Thailand and dirty impressionable hippy girls in Goa are a calling me.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Just don't tell anyone. What are they gonna do, mast you?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
With terminal they will send you on a free one way ticket to your home of record. If you're going to pay for your own tickets what the gently caress would they even know about it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hobolicious posted:

Just don't tell anyone. What are they gonna do, mast you?

It's come up several times, but yes, they can. Several goons have seen it done. Usually it happens after someone gets arrested on terminal, or tries sneaking drugs on base or something equally retarded.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

It's come up several times, but yes, they can. Several goons have seen it done. Usually it happens after someone gets arrested on terminal, or tries sneaking drugs on base or something equally retarded.

Or emails a list of all the girls he banged in the fan room right before flying off the ship for terminal leave.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah you're still subject to the UCMJ. So just don't do anything stupid or get a DUI and you'll be fine

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ded posted:

With terminal they will send you on a free one way ticket to your home of record. If you're going to pay for your own tickets what the gently caress would they even know about it.

Not necessarily home of record. You have two addresses that matter: place of entry and home of record. I enlisted in Texas but commissioned in FL. My home of record was my texas address and that doesn't ever really change (unless you have a break in service longer than a day). Your place of entry, though, can also be a terminal destination. They will cover the cost of a plane ticket to whichever spot you want OR anything cheaper than that if you have a different destination. In my case I could have flown almost anywhere in CONUS because I had a HI to FL ticket guaranteed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's probably a good point. It's up to the cost of shipping you to your home of record. You can pay the difference if you want to go somewhere that costs more. And it's not just a plane ticket, it's basically a PCS.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I start GA Tech in the fall (but I'll be out before I graduate).

Got it - but you're still 4 years and 120 credits away from proving me wrong.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

;)

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

buttplug posted:

Got it - but you're still 4 years and 120 credits away from proving me wrong.

30 credits! But like I said, I'll be gone from the Navy before I get the degree. Then I will just come back as an O6:
The Navy wants to hire chiefs and captains – off the street – to fill cyber roles

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Congrats, you're so talented and in demand that we will hire you as an E7.

Now here is a list of trainings on how to not kill yourself, a bunch of sailors you're going to be in charge of eventually, even though you don't want to be, and also lol who would ever do this seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Laranzu posted:

Congrats, you're so talented and in demand that we will hire you as an E7.

Now here is a list of trainings on how to not kill yourself, a bunch of sailors you're going to be in charge of eventually, even though you don't want to be, and also lol who would ever do this seriously.

If you don't know how to not rape people, you get free training on that life skill. So, there's that.

e: I hope that as soon as you sign the E7 papers you immediately acquire two ex-wives and five children who hate you plus a righteous Chief Gut.

Poopkitty, what's the stereotype for female Chiefs? I've met like two ever and one was a NCCS.

e2: the plural of Chief needs to be Chieves qtiyd

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 21, 2016

• Locked thread