Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
How can you tell when it's time to harvest the planter boxes you buy from the dryad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

How can you tell when it's time to harvest the planter boxes you buy from the dryad?

You have to plant seeds in them (the different kinds of boxes are just there to look pretty and help organize). A staff of regrowth helps, as it won't harvest plants that won't drop seeds and also gives extra seeds when you harvest with it. Each kind of plant has a different harvesting condition, mostly based on weather or time of day. The plant sprites change as they grow and when they bloom

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 8, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Glorious People's Tenement Project has hit a bit of a snag.

None of the unoccupied slots count as valid housing despite being identical to the rest.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Torches take up a space space, not a wall space, you're likely at the very minimum for enough room, and putting a torch down puts you over.

Make them identical identical and not just "identical" identical

VV I was kinda just saying make them actually identical. I used to do that too, make rooms that were the exact same - actually the exact same as you have them - but then put in extra stuff and wonder why they weren't working.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 8, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Garfu posted:

Torches take up a space space, not a wall space, you're likely at the very minimum for enough room, and putting a torch down puts you over.

Make them identical identical and not just "identical" identical

I embiggened the top of the room and it still didn't work. The upper torches were added later when I found out they weren't valid. Kinda looks like torches in them are too low, because moving a torch fixed one of them :psyduck:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

dis astranagant posted:

I embiggened the top of the room and it still didn't work. The upper torches were added later when I found out they weren't valid. Kinda looks like torches in them are too low, because moving a torch fixed one of them :psyduck:

You see how all the valid rooms either have the torch on the wall instead of the background or are higher up, above head level? I'm pretty sure that the place you've put the other torches doesn't leave enough room for the NPC to stand.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Just build one of those one room houses that can have infinite NPCs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22wWrCtNn7w

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I made one of those but all the npcs pile up and can't be selected past my idiot guide.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I made one of those but all the npcs pile up and can't be selected past my idiot guide.
It seems more like a way to ensure you'll never be short a room for NPCs to spawn in than a place to keep them long-term, for exactly that reason.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The odd thing is that they refuse to move around. Usually the trouble is keeping npcs in one place but these took that too literally. I even made the npc trap huge so they'd have room to split up.

e:Then after like 10 minutes waiting they all got up and moved at once.
ee: Apparently timed with the end of the rain.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 8, 2016

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's also rumoured that the infinite house is getting taken out next patch

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TIL that a pre-boss town is perfectly capable of fighting off a goblin invasion without my help so long as the npcs are all on the same floor.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Six days from now, on May 22, it appears that Patch 1.3.1 will drop.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-1-release-date.43505/

To quote Cenx, this patch is "an update for PC that focuses on wiring mechanics and controller support."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

To quote Cenx, this patch is "an update for PC that focuses on wiring mechanics and controller support."

Hot dawg, can't believe five years after it was released we're still getting updates, that owns.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Can't wait to see what fun things get nerfed to the edge of uselessness in the name of balance :toot:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Can't wait to see what fun things get nerfed to the edge of uselessness in the name of balance :toot:
Never forget original Spectre Armor. :smith:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

symbolic posted:

Never forget original Spectre Armor. :smith:

O.G. Vampire knives

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spergminer posted:

O.G. Vampire knives

Shadow Chests.

And I'm also pretty sure there's something else, like you have to do some zones in a specific order now?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Honestly I just hope fix the nerfs to netplay because whatever 1.3 did to it, it completely ruined it. How it went from having a largely stable connection even at long ping distances, to hosts having 300ms lag is loving beyond me :psyduck:

RareAcumen posted:

And I'm also pretty sure there's something else, like you have to do some zones in a specific order now?
Kind of, progress gets hard-gated now once you beat WoF.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

The Dungeon doesn't spawn hardmode enemies until you beat Plantera.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Kind of, progress gets hard-gated now once you beat WoF.

Zereth posted:

The Dungeon doesn't spawn hardmode enemies until you beat Plantera.

No, that's not what I was thinking of. I could've swore that it was something pre-hardmode.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Shadow Chests.

Well, I honestly can't think of any pre-hardmode skips outside of bombing corruption early or doing a queen bee with garbage equipment.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

No, that's not what I was thinking of. I could've swore that it was something pre-hardmode.

Pre-hardmode is more open than ever since you can fish for a molten pick equivalent and some other strong weapons. Not to mention crates, which you can use to skip the original hardmode ores.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 17, 2016

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Pre-hardmode is more open than ever since you can fish for a molten pick equivalent and some other strong weapons.

Oh right you can actually break all of pre-hardmode and later all of early hardmode by fishing and saving your crates. Open the crates after you enter hardmode and get a million HM ores.

e: welp

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
If anything pre-hardmode is less gated than before, since you no longer need keys to open the floating island chests.

A wiring mechanics update is unfortunately not enough to motivate me to play this game again. Have they said anything about new content?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Mountaineer posted:

If anything pre-hardmode is less gated than before, since you no longer need keys to open the floating island chests.

A wiring mechanics update is unfortunately not enough to motivate me to play this game again. Have they said anything about new content?

New content patches tend to release somewhere between 18 months and 2 years after the previous one. So I wouldn't expect to see another until December at the earliest. Of course that's assuming that they release another major patch altogether. There's also that "unfuck the world" thing that's due out... sometime.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'm curious what the "unfuck the world" thing is. I've always wanted world gen options, like crimson or corruption, copper or tin and such. I may pick this up again after the patch, though I need to figure out a 'balanced' starting set of tools to make early building not feel so tedious and lovely. I may just drop in the Laser Drill or Mining Mount just to use for town building and excavating only. If I don't I always end up spending way too much time trying to get ready to build and end up never playing the game.

Also, is there a certain depth (or height) at which goblin armies and such won't be able to get into your base? I always hated trying to make separate npcs homes and trying to defend that dumbshit against invasions and bosses.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

graynull posted:

I'm curious what the "unfuck the world" thing is. I've always wanted world gen options, like crimson or corruption, copper or tin and such. I may pick this up again after the patch, though I need to figure out a 'balanced' starting set of tools to make early building not feel so tedious and lovely. I may just drop in the Laser Drill or Mining Mount just to use for town building and excavating only. If I don't I always end up spending way too much time trying to get ready to build and end up never playing the game.

Also, is there a certain depth (or height) at which goblin armies and such won't be able to get into your base? I always hated trying to make separate npcs homes and trying to defend that dumbshit against invasions and bosses.

Underworld. :getin:

Just go to the edge of the cavern layer to be sure, I know that invasion npcs sometimes spawn near the top of the underground layer.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Still waiting for them to add an Ichor substitution for the Corruption. :colbert:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

DoubleNegative posted:

Cool, I guess.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

symbolic posted:

Still waiting for them to add an Ichor substitution for the Corruption. :colbert:

Cursed flames?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey I just started playing this game because I've owned it for like years and have only played 10-ish minutes of it prior to today. It's pretty fun and chill. There are a poo poo ton of materials and I have no idea what any of them do but I'm slowly figuring it out as I go.

Here is my lowly First House Ever. I am considering adding a second floor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Hey I just started playing this game because I've owned it for like years and have only played 10-ish minutes of it prior to today. It's pretty fun and chill. There are a poo poo ton of materials and I have no idea what any of them do but I'm slowly figuring it out as I go.

Okay, so, you're going to want a mansion. There are a ton of NPCs. Also 1) that hammer in the crafting menu shows you everything you can make in a grid instead of a column 2) Make a Broadsword because the shortsword kinda sucks a lot!

The game is really good and I hope you'll enjoy it!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
When you talk to the guide (the NPC you start with) you can show him items that have the "crafting material" tag and he'll tell you what you can do with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wil do. I am currently swinging around a cactus that I made out of other felled cacti, which while it is funny, is not very useful. I'm assuming to get NPCs to move in all I have to do is have a free house-shaped-prison house for them and fulfill the requirements for them showing up, right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Wil do. I am currently swinging around a cactus that I made out of other felled cacti, which while it is funny, is not very useful. I'm assuming to get NPCs to move in all I have to do is have a free house-shaped-prison house for them and fulfill the requirements for them showing up, right?

That cactus sword will actually do for now, since it's using a broadsword's swinging arc. And as for NPCs that's a part of it. The other part is fulfilling other requirements. For Example: I don't think the Merchant will move in until you have 50 or more silver.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a "massive" cactus sword too, so it's like more than twice as big as my dude.

I got killed by a granite dude, but that led me to discover the chillest shroom zone. Down here I have so far killed a bat which dropped a depth meter and a random skeleton with a mining hat that dropped a bone pickaxe. I feel like a real badass.

edit: holy poo poo this bone pickaxe is nuts, it's got the "murderous" modifier so it swings really fast. I am mining at speeds yet unseen in my Terraria experience :stare:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 17, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

:getin:

I just got finished making a knock-off version of The Wall from Game of Thrones and construction a rail system across the overworld. Drained one of the oceans recently too. This game owns and I dont know why I waited so long to play after the 1.3 patch (I originally bought it when it first released, played for a week then forgot about).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Significant progress has been made. My trip through the mushroom caves brought me much phat loot and now I have a merchant! I feel very proud of this accomplishment. I am moving up in the Terraria world.

edit: Question, torches seem a bit wimpy in the light they produce (I mean look at the light in those houses), will I be able to craft torches that give off more light at some point? Or should I do some renovations and just make some background wall windows?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
There's "Ultra Bright Torches" you buy off a Wandering merchant or a Skeleton merchant. You can also craft gems with torches to get colored torches and I'm pretty sure the Diamond White torch is brighter than a normal torch. At this point in the game you might want to use diamonds for other things than lights though.