Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

Blah blah blah, I know completely homemade stuff is better, but I like having fresh bread and I'd rather spend a couple minutes per week with a single pan rather than a couple hours and multiple bowls/etc

I don't think most folks here will tell you there's anything wrong with a breadmaker per se, just that you're not likely to use it. You'll either forget about it, or you'll get so into breadmaking that you start doing it the old fashioned way (giving you a lot more flexibility).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't think most folks here will tell you there's anything wrong with a breadmaker per se, just that you're not likely to use it. You'll either forget about it, or you'll get so into breadmaking that you start doing it the old fashioned way (giving you a lot more flexibility).

I use mine during the week. It's a a 1lb maker, so it's perfect for about 2 days worth of bread. On the weekends, when I have more time, I make it from scratch.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
When I make bread from scratch, the kitchen ends up looking like someone detonated a military-grade flour dispersal device, so it's definitely a weekends-only deal. With a bread machine, I just dump poo poo in and forget about it. Fresh, delicious bread and no cleanup :dance:

Four bucks is a darn good deal, dude.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
$3 at walmart because staying hydrated on planes and in airports in general is difficult

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

strangemusic posted:

This is too cool! Although ramped basses are just not my thing as a player, I dig the look.

I've never had the chance to try one, and the ramp was a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the cost (he might have not even charged me extra for it!), and he had a piece of B/W ebony to match the fingerboard... so I thought I would give it a try. If I really hate it, I can remove it easily or just plane it down so it's further from the strings. I doubt that will happen though.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Thank you for this.

My current grill is rusted to poo poo and bolted to my deck and needs to be replaced in the worst way possible.

Found this one on Amazon and I also found it in my credit card rewards program. Doing the math though I saved a ton of points converting them into Amazon gift cards and going through them, with free delivery.

It gets here tomorrow and I can't wait.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Is a bread maker a good idea for someone who typically eats two sandwiches every day but does not enjoy any sort of cooking? Meaning that if you eat that sort of volume will you just be constantly having to make bread or is it easy to make several loaves at once and have a stockpile?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

Is a bread maker a good idea for someone who typically eats two sandwiches every day but does not enjoy any sort of cooking? Meaning that if you eat that sort of volume will you just be constantly having to make bread or is it easy to make several loaves at once and have a stockpile?

It takes a few hours to make a loaf, so several at once isn't easily done. You could make and freeze them in advance though. With fresh bread, anything short of freezing won't keep it edible for more than a day or three.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What do you people do with so much bread?

Sandwiches?

lol at eating bread in TYOOL 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Slice the bread, freeze the slices you won't use relatively immediately, toast the bread directly from frozen whenever you make sandwiches or eggs or soup (I'm also making it for multiple people, not just myself)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With fresh bread, anything short of freezing won't keep it edible for more than a day or three.

The real innovation behind sliced bread becoming so big was the packaging.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What do you people do with so much bread?

Sandwiches?

lol at eating bread in TYOOL 2016

Sandwich, toast, turn into croutons for salads, etc.

You know. Like normal people.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

To be fair using a breadmaker means you get actual bread instead of the sweet shite the US sells as bread in stores. Utter bollocks, that stuff.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

88h88 posted:

To be fair using a breadmaker means you get actual bread instead of the sweet shite the US sells as bread in stores. Utter bollocks, that stuff.

Right, cheerio good sir, pip pop. How's the weather, right pisser isn't it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's just confusing bread pudding with actual bread.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

He's just confusing bread pudding with actual bread.

tbf, there really isn't any good reason to put sugar into bread. We just do it because it's so cheap.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

People complaining about how all American bread is loaded with sugar must believe that we only have Wonder Bread.

We have such an amazing variety you can get sugar-free delicious stuff and any store.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Picked up a couple cheap m4/3 lenses.

Olympus 40-150mm

Wesley 34mm

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What do you use to get your yeast going insane if not a teaspoon or two of sugar per loaf?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Do services count?

Property inspector
    Structural engineer
    Water and mold contractor
    Structural contractor
    Staging consultant
    Upholstery and carpet cleaner

:homebrew:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

PCOS Bill posted:

What do you use to get your yeast going insane if not a teaspoon or two of sugar per loaf?

Time

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

Time and favorable temperatures. You don't need to add white sugar.

PCOS Bill posted:

Okay and if I want my bread today?

Use warm water to proof the yeast.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 21:08 on May 18, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Okay and if I want my bread today?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeast don't need no sugar.

Flour, water, yeast, salt. That's how you make a bread.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
A bread when sugared is furious.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like my yeast as crazy as my women though

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I use sugar in some loaves sometimes but it's not required.

But a teaspoon or two of sugar isn't gunna make a loaf taste like a cake so who cares anyways wow

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The problem isn't a teaspoon or two of sugar, its because commercial bakeries use corn syrup and corn syrup walks all over the flavor of whatever else its mixed with.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Yeast don't need no sugar.

Flour, water, yeast, salt. That's how you make a bread.

It's how you make a bread, but not how you make all bread.

Content: Made a small profit at the roulette tables this weekend, so treating myself to a wallet upgrade:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bread, a contentious subject!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Argyle posted:

Content: Made a small profit at the roulette tables this weekend, so treating myself to a wallet upgrade:

lol, who plays roulette?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Wanamingo posted:

lol, who plays roulette?

Winners, apparently :colbert:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Coredump posted:

Bread, a contentious subject!

Well, bread is a part of sandwiches, and sandwiches are their own whole can of worms.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argyle posted:

I was responding to PCOS who apparently thinks all bread needs sugar because 'Merica.

Also: http://smile.amazon.com/Flour-Water-Salt-Yeast-Fundamentals/dp/160774273X

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Pull up, thread, pull up!

I bought my first new phone in three and a half years yesterday. iPhone 6s, 64GB, space gray. "Midnight Blue" (kinda purple) silicone case. Apple does free next-day delivery for iPhones for some loving reason, and I missed the delivery today because I didn't happen to be standing in my kitchen by the fire escape door at 9:48am when the UPS guy came to give me a door tag and not knock or anything. I only was able to get my phone today because I was driving to get a haircut and happened to pass a UPS truck. Stopped and asked him if he had my package and he handed it over after I showed ID. This is the second time I've had to find a UPS driver out in the wild to get my package. UPS in Richmond, VA is hot loving garbage.

This was better than when I bought my last iPhone and it got stolen off the UPS truck, but not by much.

Anyway, phone's great. Recommend it.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I was responding to PCOS who apparently thinks all bread needs sugar because 'Merica.

Also: http://smile.amazon.com/Flour-Water-Salt-Yeast-Fundamentals/dp/160774273X

Ah my bad, I got lost in all the bread chat and forgot who was arguing what.

(Also I have that book! Along with Reihart's Crust and Crumb.)

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Argyle posted:

#notallbread

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Kaizoku posted:

Well, bread is a part of sandwiches, and sandwiches are their own whole can of worms.

Question: Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

lol, who plays roulette?

roulette owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"