Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The ensuing threat of gross purple and/or shiny happy destruction of my pretty house has messed up my concentration. I'm kind of bummed that there's essentially nothing I can do about it. On the bright side I have cool armor now.

Shiny happy won't kill your house. Purple might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
All I have is copper armor and an iron broadsword and I just get my rear end kicked all the time please help.

edit: Oh god cjacobs is doing so well and I am doing so terrible this is embarrassing.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 18, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

All I have is copper armor and an iron broadsword and I just get my rear end kicked all the time please help.

Go find some snow, make snowballs, throw them at dudes while you look for other stuff. Alternately, make a bow out of some variety of not regular wood and a bunch of arrows.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AnimalChin posted:

edit: Oh god cjacobs is doing so well and I am doing so terrible this is embarrassing.

For what it's worth, I am also freaking out now. Especially because the corruption just happened to spawn directly beneath my house when I went to hard mode! :suicide:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The ensuing threat of gross purple and/or shiny happy destruction of my pretty house has messed up my concentration. I'm kind of bummed that there's essentially nothing I can do about it. On the bright side I have cool armor now.

You should have the Dryad NPC. She sells an item that you will find very helpful for fighting the corruption/hallow! It'll help stem the tide for now.

When I entered hardmode, the huge stripe of corruption went right through my house :v:

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
one thing I always did when making a house was to make sure there was an empty 2x2 space on the ground just outside of every door to prevent zombies, goblins, and what have you from opening them

my current character got a Rod of Discord drop from a chaos spirit in the hollow, so now I don't need even bother with such silly things as "doors" anymore

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
If you want to stop something from infecting your house then make an island around it with at least a 4-5X block of space between the island and the nearest infected land.

Or plant sunflowers around your base to prevent the house from reaching the minimum-corruption level.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
There's also the nuclear option, which involves building your gigantic apartment building block far enough off the ground to block spawns, but also far enough down to prevent harpies and rear end in a top hat luck dragons from spawning.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well I was invaded by pirates and they are presently owning the poo poo outta me. I do not feel I had time to adequately prepare for the violation I am currently experiencing.

edit: Well I fended them off. I don't seem to have even gotten anything out of this experience, it was just annoying. :geno:

I mean, I got an eyepatch and a trophy for blowing up the flying dutchman, so that's something.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 18, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

You know all the furniture the pirates dropped? You should check how much it sells for with your merchant, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eh, a couple gold apiece is not bad. I haven't found very many uses for money though so far, so I'm not sure how valuable coins really are.

edit: It did net me my first platinum coin though so that's something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Eh, a couple gold apiece is not bad. I haven't found very many uses for money though so far, so I'm not sure how valuable coins really are.

edit: It did net me my first platinum coin though so that's something.

Have you found the goblin tinkerer yet? He'll gladly take your money to reroll your accessories (you want warding on every slot). You can also do that with weapons but get good accessories first.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I HAVE MADE MISTAKES :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Sqsdjbc-g

CJacobs posted:

You aren't kidding! I am now getting pretty much relentlessly mauled by wolves. Apparently the corrupted areas can spread now, what can I do about that? Do I have to emulate our lord and savior President Trump and just build a big-rear end wall?

It's not that bad. Go over to the corruption, dig up three pieces of dirt in a line and put something like uhhh granite or marble if you've found it or maybe just a few pieces of ore down and it won't be able to spread past that.

AnimalChin posted:

He is quite a ways farther ahead in the game compared to you right now, it's okay. You might wanna get a bow and chop down some trees and fight a ton of slimes to make flaming arrows. That'll help you out a ton when you're fighting zombies and skeletons. OH, and if you find a trap and disarm it, if you hold it out it'll show any wires that're around you.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Outside of the few toys available for purchase gold is mostly useful for reforging things to get better prefixes with the goblin tinkerer. There is an npc in hardmode though that sells a gun for a pretty penny that can remove/replace biomes, so you can spray hallow everywhere or fix corruption spreading to areas you don't want it.

Gold isn't super useful tbh but the few times you need it you'll usually find you want as much as you can get.

e:

dis astranagant posted:

Have you found the goblin tinkerer yet? He'll gladly take your money to reroll your accessories (you want warding on every slot). You can also do that with weapons but get good accessories first.
Warding is really good but the game isn't so difficult, outside of expert mode, that you need it on everything. The attack up prefixes are nice, and while I wouldn't reforge for it the movement speed prefixes are noticeable enough that I feel slow unless I have one.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess I'll keep coveting my gold then. I haven't found the tinkerer yet, but then I haven't been underground very much since going to hardmode because everything is fucksville now. I did find a cutlass on the ground that I guess dropped from a pirate or the ship, and it's surprisingly effective, so I'll take that as my real reward for persevering.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I guess I'll keep coveting my gold then. I haven't found the tinkerer yet, but then I haven't been underground very much since going to hardmode because everything is fucksville now. I did find a cutlass on the ground that I guess dropped from a pirate or the ship, and it's surprisingly effective, so I'll take that as my real reward for persevering.

The dungeon is pretty safe (for now) and has a decent chance of spawning tied up npcs for you to rescue. Technically they can spawn anywhere in the cavern depth but the dungeon is fairly open and stocked with obsolete monsters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally, I ended up making a home that requires entrance via trapdoor so I didn't need to worry about anything breaking down my doors.

Also I just realized that you're going to have a real rough loving time getting the Stylist now. :negative: CJacobs, I'm so sorry to tell you this, but this game has huge spiders in it too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh god this game has brown recluses. Sorry Stylist but it looks like I will never acquire your services. :(

Casa de Jacobs update:

After freeing the Tinkerer (he was in the dungeon) I did some expanding to give him a place to live. Thanks to the recent pirate invasion my NPCs are all over the drat place but I'm too lazy to go out at night and reset their positions. I have completed a loop going under the house so that I don't have to spend the extra time jumping over the thing every time I just want to pass by. I think it's starting to shape up into a pretty nice place!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh yeah, CJacobs have you considered building an arena? Pre-hardmode it's not really necessary but it helps quite a bit in hardmode.

It doesn't have to be anything super fancy, mine are just 3/4 of a screen length of wooden platforms, repeated a few times vertically. Here's my gimmick ranged weapons only character/world for example:

It's bigger than I normally make because mobility ended up being kind of important when I couldn't take a hit worth poo poo, but you get the idea. It'll take all of maybe 15 minutes to set up but having a controlled environment to kill bosses or do events in makes a world of difference. After you have it set up, scatter some campfires or heart statues as you please, throw down any buffing stations you feel like and you're pretty much set. Fighting bosses or events on your own terms makes a world of difference.

Also pro-tip: if you hammer a wooden platform a few times it flips orientation allowing you to hang banners off of them, which you can't do otherwise.

e:
also I'm insanely jealous of your building skills, my stuff invariably ends up looking like garbage

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Oh god this game has brown recluses. Sorry Stylist but it looks like I will never acquire your services. :(

Yeahhhhhhh. I'm sorry man. Who knows, maybe you can rope one of your friends into playing the game with you and give them a big shoe weapon. :v:

CJacobs posted:

Casa de Jacobs update:

After freeing the Tinkerer (he was in the dungeon) I did some expanding to give him a place to live. Thanks to the recent pirate invasion my NPCs are all over the drat place but I'm too lazy to go out at night and reset their positions. I have completed a loop going under the house so that I don't have to spend the extra time jumping over the thing every time I just want to pass by. I think it's starting to shape up into a pretty nice place!

Looking pretty respectable! You might wanna look at the furniture you can make now because there're tons of variants of sofas and beds and stuff. http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Furniture

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh yeah, CJacobs have you considered building an arena? Pre-hardmode it's not really necessary but it helps quite a bit in hardmode.

It doesn't have to be anything super fancy, mine are just 3/4 of a screen length of wooden platforms, repeated a few times vertically. Here's my gimmick ranged weapons only character/world for example:

It's bigger than I normally make because mobility ended up being kind of important when I couldn't take a hit worth poo poo, but you get the idea. It'll take all of maybe 15 minutes to set up but having a controlled environment to kill bosses or do events in makes a world of difference. After you have it set up, scatter some campfires or heart statues as you please, throw down any buffing stations you feel like and you're pretty much set. Fighting bosses or events on your own terms makes a world of difference.

Sweet, I'll find some space and try this out. Maybe next time I get a pirate invasion it won't be such a shitfest.

Wrist Watch posted:

e:
also I'm insanely jealous of your building skills, my stuff invariably ends up looking like garbage

You have no idea how upset I was when that furnace at the top-middle of the screen didn't fit perfectly in that little closet I made. Thankfully my picture-takin' platform gelled nicely with my compromise. :v:

RareAcumen posted:

Looking pretty respectable! You might wanna look at the furniture you can make now because there're tons of variants of sofas and beds and stuff. http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Furniture

what the hell how is there so much content in this game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

what the hell how is there so much content in this game

It was released 5 years ago and it's just been getting more and more content added into it over the years. And not only that but I think it was leaked and it was a rushed release on top of things.

Anyway, you had any experience using magic or yo-yos yet?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

It was released 5 years ago and it's just been getting more and more content added into it over the years. And not only that but I think it was leaked and it was a rushed release on top of things.

Anyway, you had any experience using magic or yo-yos yet?

Not CJacobs, but I was going to ask the thread anyway: I've only played ranged characters in all my ~200 hours of Terraria. Are magic and melee worthwhile builds for solo play? I'm thinking about starting a new character soon (once I finish my mansion and defeat the moon lord...) and I was thinking I should try something new.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Solumin posted:

Are magic and melee worthwhile builds for solo play? I'm thinking about starting a new character soon (once I finish my mansion and defeat the moon lord...) and I was thinking I should try something new.
I've always ran magic builds. They're pretty fun and effective in both solo play and multiplayer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I found a yoyo called Amarok in the snow biome just after going to hard mode and it's served me pretty well, only having been just usurped by the cutlass I got from the pirates. Blind Sally also gave me one but I shelved it because it felt like cheating early on. v:v:v

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Solumin posted:

Not CJacobs, but I was going to ask the thread anyway: I've only played ranged characters in all my ~200 hours of Terraria. Are magic and melee worthwhile builds for solo play? I'm thinking about starting a new character soon (once I finish my mansion and defeat the moon lord...) and I was thinking I should try something new.

You can use any build you want, but if you're going the melee route, you basically want to make use of Yoyos. Swords and stuff are usable, but chances are that you'll be face tanking a lot through the bosses.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

CJacobs posted:

Sweet, I'll find some space and try this out. Maybe next time I get a pirate invasion it won't be such a shitfest.

Pirate/Goblin invasions are unique in that they occur at your house and if you go too far away they won't actually spawn, but aside from bosses an arena's still useful for stuff like solar eclipses, a third type of invasion that owns and is related to endgame where things go a bit crazy so I won't spoil it, and the pumpkin/frost moon events.

Pumpkin moon and frost moon are events you have to manually trigger and are basically just waves of enemies/bosses that come at you. Maybe look up how to trigger them later, it's not really something you can deal with until you're approaching endgame.

You'll uh ... probably guess when you start getting to endgame because poo poo gets amazing and I'm saying that in the context of this game.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dis astranagant posted:

The dungeon is pretty safe (for now) and has a decent chance of spawning tied up npcs for you to rescue. Technically they can spawn anywhere in the cavern depth but the dungeon is fairly open and stocked with obsolete monsters.

The tinkerer and the wizard can spawn anywhere underground; but the mechanic is always in the dungeon. (And the stylist is always in a spider nest, so never in the dungeon.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solumin posted:

It's quite fun. I just use a mix of whatever's available, bows, spells, a sword that I regularly use, etc. The only hurdle is getting enough stars at the beginning to make use of any spells.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I know people have mentioned digging things out for dealing with corruption, but that is the stuff for children. What you really want to do is make sticky dynamite, especially if you have cash to spend.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

It's quite fun. I just use a mix of whatever's available, bows, spells, a sword that I regularly use, etc. The only hurdle is getting enough stars at the beginning to make use of any spells.

I usually end up as a "Ranger" due to armor and accessories as opposed to weapons. i.e. I have the Sniper Scope and Shroomite Armor, but my hotbar has Possessed Hatchet, Golden Shower and summoning staves in addition to bows and guns.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You can use any build you want, but if you're going the melee route, you basically want to make use of Yoyos. Swords and stuff are usable, but chances are that you'll be face tanking a lot through the bosses.

And Vampire Knives for healing, right?

I think I'll craft some end-game magic armor and see how much I like it before starting a new character. I do still need to finish the Moon Lord...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I decided to learn how to make mods for this game. The code for tmodloader and the code for the vanilla game are both an absolute nightmare but it's very rewarding to get something working right.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Isn't this the game where the "item DB" is actually a giant if-else statement? Did we ever get an explanation for that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is, yes. There's also a pretty funny lack of foresight on the devs' part in regards to the naming of armor items. In the vanilla game files, armor is just named "Armor_(ID #)_(body part)", so "Armor_1_Head", et cetera. The problem is that they made male and female body parts use different sprite sheets instead of combining them, so all of the female armors are named "Female_Body_1" and so on. :downs:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It is, yes. There's also a pretty funny lack of foresight on the devs' part in regards to the naming of armor items. In the vanilla game files, armor is just named "Armor_(ID #)_(body part)", so "Armor_1_Head", et cetera. The problem is that they made male and female body parts use different sprite sheets instead of combining them, so all of the female armors are named "Female_Body_1" and so on. :downs:

Hahaha, y-yeah that sure is a big goofy mistake they made, haha, I totally know what those words mean.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Basically they made 2 files for every arm, body, head, and legs for some reason when they only needed one, and then because of that they had to name them in a silly way to bubblegum-and-duct-tape their way to victory.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 18, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Basically they made 2 files for every arm, body, head, and legs for some reason when they only needed one, and then because of that they had to name them in a silly way to bubblegum-and-duct-tape their way to victory.

Pffft, okay now that's pretty funny.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Came back better prepared and kicked its rear end. :c00l:

Now I look like a huge badass in my ninja/shadow armor combo.
You're aware that wearing all three parts of a set of armor gets you additional bonuses, right?

Solumin posted:

When I entered hardmode, the huge stripe of corruption went right through my house :v:
This is why I build my housing complexes dead center.

Floating off the ground for protection against zombies and invasions and poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zereth posted:

You're aware that wearing all three parts of a set of armor gets you additional bonuses, right?

Yes, the ninja suit and the cape are in my vanity slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Yes, the ninja suit and the cape are in my vanity slots.
Ah, then have fun and go nuts.