Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Weird thing is I find Melty combos stupid easy. Just keep in mind that you gotta do poo poo fast and you'll get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Dear person struggling with zangief: find a friend who plays zangief, hope he is better than you. Learn.

I've been playing the same Zangief player for like 3 years now, and I've won maybe a hundred matches. Ever. But losing so much has undoubtedly made me a better player. Other giefs do not stand a chance.

Just play. Lose a lot. Then don't lose. Simple.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

don't worry, just play nrvnqsr

here is an example of every nrvnqsr combo

something > something > something > j. c > j.c > j.c >j.c > airthrow

Well, actually Nero can't combo more than 3 j.C's (BIOHAZARDOOO) in one combo. :downs:

The weirdest thing with Melty Blood combos is that you have to mash out all the normals REALLY fast. I was having problems combo-ing lights into mediums (A's into Bs) at first which made me think that Melty had really tight timings for combos but no, you just have to mash the living crap out of your buttons.

The actual tough parts of Melty combos is doing the double jumps, super jumps or land - jumps in the juggles. At least for me.

Foodahn posted:

Just play. Lose a lot. Then don't lose. Simple.

Great advice for every situation but particularly for fighting games.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 18, 2016

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Online for this game is still bad btw.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I like the online because sometimes a person will beat me by just a bit and then not give me the runback, which is even better than winning. I give everyone a full set unless the game matches me up with a ridiculous mismatch and it's clear that it's a waste of time for both of us. If it's even slightly interesting or fun I'll let it go because 5 lp who cares.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I like the online because sometimes a person will beat me by just a bit and then not give me the runback, which is even better than winning. I give everyone a full set unless the game matches me up with a ridiculous mismatch and it's clear that it's a waste of time for both of us. If it's even slightly interesting or fun I'll let it go because 5 lp who cares.

i don't like it because even when i'm not getting rollback i can't trust that the other guy isn't getting it instead

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Sometimes when the matchmaking pool is really shallow my opponent refuses runback and I get matched with them again anyway

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

dhamster posted:

Sometimes when the matchmaking pool is really shallow my opponent refuses runback and I get matched with them again anyway

What's your guys' LP level? I'm constantly hovering at the spot between bronze and superbronze and I've never had to wait more than a minute for a match, and at least half of them are close enough skill-wise if not exactly league-wise.

And I'm not sure how we'd be able to tell but how reliable are people's country flags? Sometimes if I stay up super late on west coast I'll end up playing Korean and Japanese flags all night but only a few of them actually have foreign alphabet PSN names.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

I play at ~4000LP in Vancouver, the majority of my matches are 500-1000LP players, a few of them are ~3000LP players and maybe 1/40 is a 4000+ LP player

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I'm at 9k pp and my matches have taken longer and longer over the past couple months, I often get people between 2000-4000pp as well which is seriously boring and a bad match. Lobbies are still really bad as well, you can wait for 20+ minutes until someone from your region joins (who also isn't just really low rank).

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

What's your guys' LP level? I'm constantly hovering at the spot between bronze and superbronze and I've never had to wait more than a minute for a match, and at least half of them are close enough skill-wise if not exactly league-wise.

And I'm not sure how we'd be able to tell but how reliable are people's country flags? Sometimes if I stay up super late on west coast I'll end up playing Korean and Japanese flags all night but only a few of them actually have foreign alphabet PSN names.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the flags. I have friends that live in the USA that picked flags for their country of origin, for instance.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/jchensor/status/733218386897862656

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Uh actually Steamspy puts the highest peak times at like <2000 people which is many times more than 5!

Someday SFV can hope to break the Top 100 games being played, but it will be up against some stiff competition like Garry's Mod and Fallout New Vegas and Football Manager 2014 and Football Manager 2015 and Football Manager 2016 and CLICKER HEROES

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I'm a scrub rear end 3000 point silver leaguer and I usually get matched against bums in bronze or gold players who wash me, but never in between. The matchmaking is pretty hosed.

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011
On a smurf account at around 3500LP I consistently get matched with rookie league players, even ones with 0LP who could potentially be playing their first ranked match

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ADTerminal posted:

On a smurf account at around 3500LP I consistently get matched with rookie league players, even ones with 0LP who could potentially be playing their first ranked match

I was on the opposite side of this. My first and only rank experience so far was getting matched with a string of silver opponents and getting clobbered the whole way through. I thought it was just because I was being a dummy and trying to find matches at like 5AM.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
play in lobbies, it's the best way to learn anyway oh wait they're busted as gently caress too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ADTerminal posted:

hello, let's discuss the match we played the other day

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pomp posted:

play in lobbies, it's the best way to learn anyway oh wait they're busted as gently caress too

All I got were lobbies with terrible connections, though again, 5AM. The one time I seemingly found someone who was of roughly equal skill, naturally he also teleported all the gently caress over the place.

What's supposed to be wrong with them when you're not playing at stupid hours?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Every other match going through ranked / endless.

This game is rapidly approaching melty blood levels of needing to trawl IRC and discord channels to find someone to have a good match with. SFV is disappointment of the year for me tbh.

Lobbies are bad because you can't see anyone's flags or bars so you're forced to keep joining someone's lobby to see what flag they have and then (usually) leaving to find another lobby because they're not even on your continent.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Who would have thought that broken netcode, intentionally added input lag, and a server infrastructure built by a single person would kill the online population of a fighting game?

I guess literally everyone thought that except Capcom.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Booyah- posted:

Who would have thought that broken netcode, intentionally added input lag, and a server infrastructure built by a single person would kill the online population of a fighting game?

I guess literally everyone thought that except Capcom.

and bhsman

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
any tips on getting vegas command grab to work? I'm having a really hard time getting it off.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I ended up going back to playing SF4 and Melty with some friends.
gently caress everything about SFV, especially that input lag that so heavy favors aggressive play. USF4, with all it's flaws, is still a better game.

zooted heh posted:

any tips on getting vegas command grab to work? I'm having a really hard time getting it off.

Scare them into blocking. You won't be landing the command grab if your opponent doesn't fear pressing buttons.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 19, 2016

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Every other match going through ranked / endless.

This game is rapidly approaching melty blood levels of needing to trawl IRC and discord channels to find someone to have a good match with. SFV is disappointment of the year for me tbh.

Lobbies are bad because you can't see anyone's flags or bars so you're forced to keep joining someone's lobby to see what flag they have and then (usually) leaving to find another lobby because they're not even on your continent.

Never played 3S. Did Alex always wear blush?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah he always had the little eye tattoo/make up

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

zooted heh posted:

not sure if ur talking about execution or just landing the move, but its worth noting that the lp version has the longest range while hp has the shortest. i dunno what range the ex range is

also vega/laura/my balls is the worst character in the game

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Booyah- posted:

not sure if ur talking about execution or just landing the move, but its worth noting that the lp version has the longest range while hp has the shortest. i dunno what range the ex range is

also vega/laura/my balls is the worst character in the game

I think the main issues with your balls are the terrible hitboxes, low stamina and how hard they have to work to get close to anyone, and when they do, they can't really do anything.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Jack Trades posted:

Scare them into blocking. You won't be landing the command grab if your opponent doesn't fear pressing buttons.

the only time I'm able to get it off is if I'm jumping in because they think I'm going to go for a normal grab in my scrub tier or when they are in the corner. mostly trying to connect with it in the middle of the screen. seems tough because most of his attacks push the oppoent away from you when blocking other than st.lp.

Booyah- posted:

not sure if ur talking about execution or just landing the move, but its worth noting that the lp version has the longest range while hp has the shortest. i dgrabunno what range the ex range is

thanks. does the mp and hp do more damage? what would be the point of doing them if lp has the longest range?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

zooted heh posted:

the only time I'm able to get it off is if I'm jumping in because they think I'm going to go for a normal grab in my scrub tier or when they are in the corner. mostly trying to connect with it in the middle of the screen. seems tough because most of his attacks push the oppoent away from you when blocking other than st.lp.

thanks. does the mp and hp do more damage? what would be the point of doing them if lp has the longest range?
they do more damage yeah, but its like 10-20 more. you only want to use hp if you know you're in range and even then its a small benefit

Dias posted:

I think the main issues with your balls are the terrible hitboxes, low stamina and how hard they have to work to get close to anyone, and when they do, they can't really do anything.
thank you

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I read everywhere that Karin's big combo is cr mp st mp into instant tenko and the last part never loving hits for me, even if it feels like I am inputting it as quickly as possible. Is something supposed to be canceling to make it work?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also I swear to god every fucker I have been matched with has been pure rush pure aggression the past two days. I don't know if it is random luck or if everyone read about the input lag thing and decided that is how you need to play now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Goetta posted:

I read everywhere that Karin's big combo is cr mp st mp into instant tenko and the last part never loving hits for me, even if it feels like I am inputting it as quickly as possible. Is something supposed to be canceling to make it work?

It's just super fast, do the P after the qcf+K like you were plinking almost.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think I am doing the instant part right because she makes the different noise and it hits way higher up into the air. I just can't get it to like actually combo, if people are holding back it gets blocked even if the first two hits confirm.

I'm sure it is something I am doing wrong but I'm not sure what.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Goetta posted:

Yeah, I think I am doing the instant part right because she makes the different noise and it hits way higher up into the air. I just can't get it to like actually combo, if people are holding back it gets blocked even if the first two hits confirm.aftaf

If it's not combing after st.mp or c.lk you're too slow.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Goetta posted:

Yeah, I think I am doing the instant part right because she makes the different noise and it hits way higher up into the air. I just can't get it to like actually combo, if people are holding back it gets blocked even if the first two hits confirm.

Can you do the instant Tenko by itself? If not then you should practice that first. Once you have that down 100% you can move on to canceling a single normal like s.MP into instant Tenko.

Edit - Whoops OK so it says right there in your post but just so we're on the same page: the instant Tenko causes the opponent's body to spin in the air. That's what you need to make sure you're getting.

Cancelling into instant Tenko is different from other cancels because you are cancelling into the QCF+K command dash and then hitting a P button *after* the command dash has begun. You won't get the Tenko if you press P before the command dash starts. Anyway, the trick is to just do the cancel a little later than normal. So it's like s.MP -> very slight pause -> QCF+K~P. Again, if you can't do instant Tenko by itself outside of combos then you won't be able to do it within combos so make sure you've mastered that first.

Fruitsnacks fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 20, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Goetta posted:

Also I swear to god every fucker I have been matched with has been pure rush pure aggression the past two days. I don't know if it is random luck or if everyone read about the input lag thing and decided that is how you need to play now.

You don't even need to know about the input lag. Aggression simply works better in SFV, it's not hard to figure that out.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Goetta posted:

Karin can combo from st.mp to regular tenko, so even if you weren't getting instant it isn't the reason you aren't comboing unless you're hitting the punch incredibly late.
It's more likely that you're doing qcf k too late after st.mp

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fruitsnacks posted:

Can you do the instant Tenko by itself? If not then you should practice that first. Once you have that down 100% you can move on to canceling a single normal like s.MP into instant Tenko.

Edit - Whoops OK so it says right there in your post but just so we're on the same page: the instant Tenko causes the opponent's body to spin in the air. That's what you need to make sure you're getting.

Cancelling into instant Tenko is different from other cancels because you are cancelling into the QCF+K command dash and then hitting a P button *after* the command dash has begun. You won't get the Tenko if you press P before the command dash starts. Anyway, the trick is to just do the cancel a little later than normal. So it's like s.MP -> very slight pause -> QCF+K~P. Again, if you can't do instant Tenko by itself outside of combos then you won't be able to do it within combos so make sure you've mastered that first.

This is super helpful, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

I seriously recommend you plink the tenko motion so you get it consistently. Since you're basically never using the non-instant version of tenko, you can just wire that into muscle memory. If you want to plink EX instant tenko (like for tenko - EX tenko - EX orochi) I recommend setting a button to 3K and do it with any punch (I use the 4th button on the top row for 3K, plinking it with HP)