Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

computer parts posted:

Apparently the first Resident Evil movie also has them? According to this article anyway:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2004/03/dead_run.html

Nah, the zombies in the RE film (the first one at least) shamble around, but it does have zombie dogs that can run :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Geoff Johns has written a ton of great comics, including some very good Green Lantern stories. When I heard he was attached to the Green Lantern movie I was very glad because in my opinion they couldn't have picked a better guy. So what the gently caress happened?

Also, running zombies was the coolest thing to come out of the zombie genre since... well, ever, really. Was Snyder really the first to do fast zombies? Either way the Dawn of the Dead remake is my favorite zombie movie and has been since I first saw it. Day of the Dead remake was absolute garbage. gently caress you, Nick Cannon. You loving suck.

I find Geoff Johns comic go from terrible to merely mediocre.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Geoff Johns has written a ton of great comics
well, we're hosed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

Add a bunch of quips and some Acceptably Handsome Male Leads and maybe some 70s songs and they'll make a billion!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MonsieurChoc posted:

Pretty much.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've only read Batman: Earth One Vol. 1, which I really didn't like at all. It bums me out that BvS didn't perform well enough to stop the meddling, but the end result may turn out for the better. Ultimately I think both Man of Steel and BvS are very hopeful and optimistic superhero movies, and I'd prefer it if Snyder, Affleck, and Terrio could put out Justice League without too much interference, but it doesn't seem to be going that way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've only read Batman: Earth One Vol. 1, which I really didn't like at all. It bums me out that BvS didn't perform well enough to stop the meddling, but the end result may turn out for the better. Ultimately I think both Man of Steel and BvS are very hopeful and optimistic superhero movies, and I'd prefer it if Snyder, Affleck, and Terrio could put out Justice League without too much interference, but it doesn't seem to be going that way.

Or Johns really doesn't differ much on their vision and this is more of a PR move than anything.

Time will tell.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Geoff Johns has written a ton of great comics, including some very good Green Lantern stories. When I heard he was attached to the Green Lantern movie I was very glad because in my opinion they couldn't have picked a better guy. So what the gently caress happened?

Also, running zombies was the coolest thing to come out of the zombie genre since... well, ever, really. Was Snyder really the first to do fast zombies? Either way the Dawn of the Dead remake is my favorite zombie movie and has been since I first saw it. Day of the Dead remake was absolute garbage. gently caress you, Nick Cannon. You loving suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkhCAV3wmIU

Return of the Living Dead had fast zombies way back in 1985. Also the movie is great and hilarious and everyone should watch it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pablo Gigante posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkhCAV3wmIU

Return of the Living Dead had fast zombies way back in 1985. Also the movie is great and hilarious and everyone should watch it

Return of the Living Dead is also one of the very first horror movies to do the meta thing ala New Nightmare. The premise is that Night of the Living Dead was based on true events, and in Return of the Living Dead we are seeing a kind of sequel to those true events. So the zombies run because Night of the Living Dead was a movie you see, but this is the real thing!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Yoshifan823 posted:

I bet an offer has gone out to like, a quarter of the notable black actors in Hollywood (that aren't already in MCU movies). That cast is gonna be stacked.

Is it wrong I was hoping for James Earl Jones to be TChaka and we get what is Lion King only with the Black Panther live action?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Return of The Living Dead is soooo good, top to bottom

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Return of the Living Dead is also one of the very first horror movies to do the meta thing ala New Nightmare. The premise is that Night of the Living Dead was based on true events, and in Return of the Living Dead we are seeing a kind of sequel to those true events. So the zombies run because Night of the Living Dead was a movie you see, but this is the real thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOjHeyyhY0&t=224s

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MacheteZombie posted:

Or Johns really doesn't differ much on their vision and this is more of a PR move than anything.

Time will tell.

Yeah, it could just be this, but we probably won't know for sure until Justice League stuff starts getting released.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Johns hires Richard Donner to direct new Superman film, MoS fans scream "Not my Superman!", failing to see irony.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Davros1 posted:

Johns hires Richard Donner to direct new Superman film, MoS fans scream "Not my Superman!", failing to see irony.

Nah I can wait until the movie comes out and judge it on its own merits.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can't wait for the title to be revealed so I can dunk on it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Davros1 posted:

This is extremely unlikely to happen

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Richard Donner is 86 years old and hasn't stepped on a set for a decade, I wouldn't exactly see him surviving the shoot. Hell, on a modern blockbuster he'd probably croak during pre-production. Directing big movies cuts years off your life. Especially ones that cost more than some GNPs.

edit: as for the running zombies thing, generally people that argued back about 28 Days Later either got "those are different, they're infected people", or they shut that complaint down and people just moved the goalposts onto complaining about the believability of zombie babies or something. Nobody ever brought up Return... I'm just reporting what it was like back when it came out. I'd imagine that if the AICN comments on reviews from back then still exist something would probably show up there. 300 was at least comparably straightforward in that people screamed it was fascist and basically Iraq War propaganda.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 19, 2016

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Not a movie, but the first 4 minutes of Preacher are on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDzU5vgApM

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If directing big movies cuts years off your life, Ridley Scott must be eternal.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Richard Donner and especially his wife Lauren Shuler Donner have literally been producing all the X-Men movies. Nobody cared.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From the WB Studio Tour

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/733195193583697920

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
No can of spring-loaded snakes, not my Joker!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Not a movie, but the first 4 minutes of Preacher are on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDzU5vgApM

That was cool! Never read the comic, so looking forward to watching something this weird and seemingly irreverant.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Luminous Obscurity posted:

No can of spring-loaded snakes, not my Joker!

Would Bat socks made change your mind?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That costume is awesome, haha.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

If directing big movies cuts years off your life, Ridley Scott must be eternal.

Ridley also practically took the 90s off. The biggest budgeted movie he did was GI Jane and that was $50m in a time when an adaptation of the TV show My Favorite Martian somehow cost $65m. His production cost for an entire decade was around $140m (in comparison, James Cameron spent around half a billion over three films). And even since then, he has peppered a lot of less-expensive projects in between massive productions. A Good Year was an excuse for him and Russell to hang out in Tuscany for a summer. The Counselor cost like the catering budget of Robin Hood. American Gangster cost $100 million in a world where $150m was basically the ground floor for big productions. He still hasn't spent more on one film than he has on Robin Hood, ever, over his whole career.

To be honest I'm surprised he's still alive, given he's the lone surviving brother in his family, which is even more stressful, especially when both of the others committed suicide. That's a lot of pain to carry around.

Corek posted:

Richard Donner and especially his wife Lauren Shuler Donner have literally been producing all the X-Men movies. Nobody cared.

Well, Richard only had his name on the first and X-Men Origins. Lauren is also the one who negotiated the deal for those film rights, so of course her name is on all the movies. The same way Amy Pascal's name will be on every Spider-Man movie so long as Sony releases them. I still can't quite figure out why Jon Peters had his name on Man of Steel - I'm going to guess that some aspects of it were scooped from the previous pre-Returns Superman false starts that he had been shepherding and it was a legally required credit if they wanted those sequences in the film.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Davros1 posted:

Pretty much every MoS fan would give that a chance, actually. This isn't some "both sides are wrong, the truth is in the middle" South Park dichotomy. One side is willing to accept various interpretations of the character. The other is not.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

it's not basically explicit that this film will also be taking some cues from Batman v Superman's subversion of 'franchise' imagery. part of joker's costume is now literally just making fun of how bruce wayne 'branded' himself.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh my god thats amazing

I hope Joker sells batmerch on his etsy shop

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Are those lips on the front of shoe on the right?

The gold chain shoelaces are dope.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Pretty much every MoS fan would give that a chance, actually. One side is willing to accept various interpretations of the character. The other is not.

There does seem to be an undercurrent among many MoS proponents that his traditional depiction of nigh-faultless morality and perfect ability is no longer compelling though. Never seen the Donner movies* so maybe they aren't that, but that seems to be the implication of the post you responded to. At least if it's at the expense of more mature/realistic/balanced/humanistic/whatever you'd call it studies that MoS is a part of. OR maybe put another way, it would still be a bummer if the DC films were homogenized to have the same tone as for example the MCU movies - I'd give it a chance but at that point I'd rather watch RDJ over Cavill if the character beats aren't there.

*Sorry thread! never found him an interesting character until MoS made him seem more fallible/touchable.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's definitely not a faultless moral paragon in the Donner films, they're worth a watch. Just a lot of the choices are kind of broad. Clark Kent isn't just a nerd, he has to be the biggest loser nerd who ever nerded.

The Donner films do capture one of my favorite aspects of Superman though, smugness. When Lois jumps over a waterfall to force him to save her proving he is Superman, and he just lets her flail and eventually knocks down a tree branch with his vision to save her while never turning into Superman, it's loving great. I wish Cavill was a bit more smug.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

There does seem to be an undercurrent among many MoS proponents that his traditional depiction of nigh-faultless morality and perfect ability is no longer compelling though.

Thing is, that Superman who exercises nigh-faultless morality and perfect ability... doesn't really exist. He never has. Even All-Star Superman is not perfect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Are those lips on the front of shoe on the right?

The gold chain shoelaces are dope.

I like the pimp cane.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The costume design for that movie owns like hell.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

greatn posted:

The Donner films do capture one of my favorite aspects of Superman though, smugness. When Lois jumps over a waterfall to force him to save her proving he is Superman, and he just lets her flail and eventually knocks down a tree branch with his vision to save her while never turning into Superman, it's loving great. I wish Cavill was a bit more smug.

I like his lack of smugness.

But I will say that Donner's original Clark-is-Superman reveal ruled and let Lois outsmug him. Lois pulls out a gun and says "I know you're Superman, Clark, and I'm gonna prove it!" and shoots him. And of course Clark cringes away, then straightens up and says in his Superman voice "Lois, that was very stupid. If I wasn't Superman you could have killed Clark Kent."

And Lois smiles and says "With blanks?"

don't think too hard about it

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The thing I like about Donner's Superman is that, by the climax of the film, he is a god. Turning back time and changing Lois' fate is basically him saying "gently caress fate, gently caress having to choose, I'm Superman!!!"

The only problem with it is that, like the ending of The Matrix, it doesn't leave you much of anywhere to go from there.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Thing is, that Superman who exercises nigh-faultless morality and perfect ability... doesn't really exist. He never has. Even All-Star Superman is not perfect.

Well, whatever the standard "other" version that brought people to complain about MoS. My only other exposure to the guy is on Lois and Clark (hehe), that just seems to be the commonly assumed alternate depiction.

I also read Kingdom Come but mostly just admired the artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Electromax posted:

Well, whatever the standard "other" version that brought people to complain about MoS. My only other exposure to the guy is on Lois and Clark (hehe), that just seems to be the commonly assumed alternate depiction.

I also read Kingdom Come but mostly just admired the artwork.

I still don't know what you mean, as much of that thread was appreciating how many different ways you could approach that character.

• Locked thread