Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
For conceal/crit builds, the FAMAS is the best AR. For other purposes, the beta (and most of the Crimefest rebalance) unduly prioritizes high-damage semi-automatics, so M308, AMR DMR, AK DMR, Eagle, Falcon, G3, whatever.

I find that with the 40% ammo nerf in the beta, even previously good automatics are subpar and the skill investment for fully loaded is too high for the benefit you don't get. If you want a full auto take an LMG.

The Bootleg is reasonably fun, however, but it sits in an odd place of almost an LMG but technically an AR, much like the RPK sits in the same position from the other side. If you want a bullet hose it's probably the current best. Take suppressor skills if you want it to be really good.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Death Vox might happen in some form or fashion in the future though with all the interesting modding with custom levels lately, so you never know.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm sure with a team of ideas guy and "i'll make the website" it'll happen any day now.

just like the secret :laugh:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Psion posted:

I'm sure with a team of ideas guy and "i'll make the website" it'll happen any day now.

just like the secret :laugh:

The folks I talked with are the ones releasing the frame job custom heist, and who did that technically impressive, poorly conceived green harvest. They've already got websites and implementation, but boy do they need ideas. We'll see if the new one is better designed. For a bunch of reasons, I've decided not to mess with modding until/if things progress further. Until then, game design fanfiction!

Also,

:pray::pray:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 19, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Orv posted:

Hobbies I suppose.

More questions I have on the other hand;
  • AR top picks? Shotguns are great but 90% of the time I'm ADS because tans so I want to try other things.

• High damage - M308 and AMR-16 with DMR kit - Both of these guns are extremely powerful but not the kind of thing you'll leave on full-auto.
  • 80+ damage - AMR-16, AK.762, Eagle Heavy - The 762 is probably my favorite of these but they're all great. I find myself swapping to single-fire a LOT in order to keep ammo consumption reasonable.
  • 40+ damage - CAR-4, AK, AK5 - CAR-4 gets a lot of poo poo for defining the meta for so long but don't let that ruin a great gun. AK is a CAR-4 for hipsters. AK5 has one of the fastest AR reloads, pair it with a quadstacked magazine and you're in for a good time.
  • Low damage - Bootleg, Commando 553, Clarion - Bootleg has the magazine, 553 has the lightning reload, and Clarion has the firerate.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Thanks for the answers all. I find I like clicking heads in this more so I'm trying the M308 and AMR-16 next.

Also I'm really pleased with the astonishing monstrosities against the god of guns this game allows me to create. Or any god really.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 20, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

• 40+ damage - CAR-4, AK, AK5 - CAR-4 gets a lot of poo poo for defining the meta for so long but don't let that ruin a great gun. AK is a CAR-4 for hipsters. AK5 has one of the fastest AR reloads, pair it with a quadstacked magazine and you're in for a good time.
  • Low damage - Bootleg, Commando 553, Clarion - Bootleg has the magazine, 553 has the lightning reload, and Clarion has the firerate.

I think it's questionable to characterize those ARs as "low damage." They can all hit the 40 (okay, fine, 39.9) breakpoint, and doing more than 40 damage doesn't necessarily mean much.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

And yeah, Death Vox is pretty much hibernating until the skills and difficulty stabilize. I've got notes for the Hardcore Henry and Wolf Pack heists, but they're not fully written up.

It is so weird to have arm chair economists try to turn PD2 safes into a viable thing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Forsaken Falcon (has PAYDAY 2) posted:

it amazes Me how People think there clever for "not reading something" You know it is quiet reverse right?

:allears: What a mess

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

I am very confused as to how someone is supposed to hold the Anarcho. Actually, I'm confused by everything about the Anarcho.

Looks like you hold it with one hand on the grip and trigger, with the other hand through the brass knuckles thing. Like a regular 2-hand gun grip/stance but a little weird because you're not wrapping one hand directly around the other but more like threading your fingers into a foregrip.

On a stubby little revolver. It's so very payday and I wish it did bonus damage when you used it with pistolwhipping/:butt: stock melee.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Discendo Vox posted:

Lowered the chance to dominate an enemy

DOGGAMMIT.

Any word on how much the effectiveness has been reduced? Are the rates comparable to how they were before the beta or are they noticeably lower or higher?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Well, bear in mind that for a time valve employed a famous European economist, Varoufakis, that went on to become FinMin of Greece. You can probably remember how that worked out.

WARNINGThe beta is really unstable after this update. SWAT Turrets in particular crash games as soon as they target anyone.

vvv right, my bad.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 20, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, bear in mind that for a time valve employed a famous European economist, Varoufakis, that went on to become PM of Greece. You can probably remember how that worked out.

WARNINGThe beta is really unstable after this update. SWAT Turrets in particular crash games as soon as they target anyone.

Minister of Finance, IIRC.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

FAUXTON posted:

Looks like you hold it with one hand on the grip and trigger, with the other hand through the brass knuckles thing. Like a regular 2-hand gun grip/stance but a little weird because you're not wrapping one hand directly around the other but more like threading your fingers into a foregrip.

On a stubby little revolver. It's so very payday and I wish it did bonus damage when you used it with pistolwhipping/:butt: stock melee.

It's only a little odd seeing how the knuckle-grip is angled so far backwards, it doesn't look particularly comfortable to hold. The 93R features a forward facing foregrip but it is a tiny burst-fire hose of death. It's pretty much uncontrollable outside of 10 metres in Battlefield.

It still looks silly having a swiss army knife attachment stuck to it. The Anarcho on the other hand is crass and may very well have a pointless foregrip, perfect for a skin buyer heister with money to burn really!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I think it's questionable to characterize those ARs as "low damage." They can all hit the 40 (okay, fine, 39.9) breakpoint, and doing more than 40 damage doesn't necessarily mean much.

They exist in the lowest AR damage bracket, that's all I mean. They're great guns and I wouldn't put them on a list like that if I didn't think they were good.

Orv posted:

Thanks for the answers all. I find I like clicking heads in this more so I'm trying the M308 and AMR-16 next.

Also I'm really pleased with the astonishing monstrosities against the god of guns this game allows me to create. Or any god really.

The balance generally favors the heavy hitters but I'd encourage you to use the mid-and low-damage rifles as well. They are a lot of fun!

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 20, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

More good news issues from my pipe- they know the cause of the turret crash and are issuing a hotfix tomorrow.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I don't think you're supposed to hold the knuckle duster.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

watho posted:

Yeah you're supposed to make a cop hold it

In the shattered remains of his face

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

watho posted:

Certainly doesn't look like it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:laffo: well maybe if you're a 14-foot tall giant, goddamn look at how massive it is compared to her hands.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So, I'm terrible and awful most of the time. Is Counterfeit normally a stealthable heist? Or does it always turn loud no matter what?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Once you put the mask on, the game starts an invisible timer and the heist will go loud sooner or later. The most you can do in stealth is to get the doors hacked.

Kind of weird that they copied that mechanic from PDTH since they did some reworking to make FWB stealthable.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

DelphiAegis posted:

So, I'm terrible and awful most of the time. Is Counterfeit normally a stealthable heist? Or does it always turn loud no matter what?

If the heist hasn't gone loud, two sets of cops will spawn to check out the houses. You can extend the stealth phase by shooting the cops once they've moved inside, ideally when they path into the basement. The 'neighbours' will trigger the alarm if the cops die outside even with silenced weapons. Some time after the second set are dealt with, it goes loud anyway.

I've gotten as far as drilling the safe and laying down the hose before swat arrived on DW, with pubbies no less.

A different line should play when the heist inevitably goes loud. The game makes it sound like someone screwed up even if it was executed without a hitch.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

Once you put the mask on, the game starts an invisible timer and the heist will go loud sooner or later. The most you can do in stealth is to get the doors hacked.

Kind of weird that they copied that mechanic from PDTH since they did some reworking to make FWB stealthable.

If they bothered to make Counterfeit fully stealthable, it would be way too easy to do.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hotfix is out.

The timer actually starts when you set the first hacking device- if you want, you can move all the civilians into Mitchell's basement first.

The first set of cops go into Wilson's basement- if you really wanted, you could technically not kill them by not moving the bookcase there.

When the police call the house, you can now answer the phone- it's just an easter egg and does not effect stealth.

If civilians are standing around in Mitchell's kitchen, there is a chance they will path down into the basement once the hack is under way.

In general, a bunch of changes to the early part of the heist look like they were going to make it stealthable, then stopped partway into implementation. The Wolf Pack heists in general seem rather half-baked- there's a lot of unimplemented material.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Hotfix is out.

The timer actually starts when you set the first hacking device- if you want, you can move all the civilians into Mitchell's basement first.

The first set of cops go into Wilson's basement- if you really wanted, you could technically not kill them by not moving the bookcase there.

When the police call the house, you can now answer the phone- it's just an easter egg and does not effect stealth.

If civilians are standing around in Mitchell's kitchen, there is a chance they will path down into the basement once the hack is under way.

In general, a bunch of changes to the early part of the heist look like they were going to make it stealthable, then stopped partway into implementation. The Wolf Pack heists in general seem rather half-baked- there's a lot of unimplemented material.

The way they could have made it stealthable is to have everything up until printing be stealth, with GO Bank style events. When you go to print, on the other hand, neighbors call the cops with a noise complaint, dispatch then radios to the cops you killed, receive no response and begin the assault. Bain explains why, as the bookcases and pool are what dampens the printer noise, and there ya go. No easy money, no bullshit, and a fun stealth heist.

OVK is just lazy.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 20, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

None of the things you describe are easy, fast, or cheap to do.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

None of the things you describe are easy, fast, or cheap to do.

I did say OVK was lazy, so... not sure why you agreed with me?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The company isn't lazy. Setting aside the attribution of laziness to a corporation in the first place, if they were lazy, they wouldn't have attempted to implement stealth at all. What they are is small, with an overstretched budget an, old engine, and a consumerbase that is antagonistic at every turn. As you demonstrate.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

FAUXTON posted:

You hold it normally and hit people with the brass knuckle bit, this isn't that complicated.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stealth sucks.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Stealth sucks.

:smith:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
art gallery is the worst heist in the game

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

oohhboy posted:

Stealth sucks.

Have you considered the alternative?

you suck at stealth

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you want to stare at the rear end end of a rent-a-cop for 15 minutes instead of doing the Lord's of shooting him, more power to you.

I am perfectly fine in stealth.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

art gallery is the worst heist in the game

Now it's personal.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

oohhboy posted:

If you want to stare at the rear end end of a rent-a-cop for 15 minutes instead of doing the Lord's of shooting him, more power to you.

I am perfectly fine in stealth.

If it takes you that long it's you.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

oohhboy posted:

Stealth sucks.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Skunkrocker posted:

Now it's personal.

also untrue since car shop exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Stealth sucks.

Afraid of Audio posted:

shadow raid, murky station, and car shop are the worst heists in the game

Art Gallery would be fine if there was more loot/a bigger payout, otherwise the map itself is fun for pig murder. Framing Frame would also be a lot more fun if you weren't actively punished for wanting to kill cops on day 3.