Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
When I read about the conversion nerfs, I immediately put my voltaxic in a sale tab to see what would happen. I got offers to buy it almost immediately from two players , probably the time it took for poe trade to show that it was for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

queeb posted:

how can these guys put out such cool stuff each league, while D3 is just a few changes to start a new season? this poo poo looks awesome.

Like the other guy said and also you already bought diablo, they have no way of making more money off you so there's less incentive to try.

Touchdown Boy posted:

The reason this is could be an issue is because a decent percent of the playerbase do not map very much if at all. Locking away content might not be the best idea.

It wont affect me in the slightest because I do map, but its usually considered nice if content is available to everyone.

It will mean either mappers get even greater advantages or possibly that the extra 2 points will not power your character very much. Both are a bit meh.

Or it will give people who don't map a reason to map.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
If you aren't mapping you aren't doing endgame content anyway, fretting about that is like fretting about the advantages over people who only play through normal and then stop.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm going to refer to this as Purple Drink League and no one can stop me.

I'm almost certain I want to run an ice witch with the new skills coming with the patch, those things look baller as hell and I'm all about me some ice builds. :getin:

J
Jun 10, 2001

snipermonkey posted:

When I read about the conversion nerfs, I immediately put my voltaxic in a sale tab to see what would happen. I got offers to buy it almost immediately from two players , probably the time it took for poe trade to show that it was for sale.

Yeah they are probably gambling on the chaos conversion nerf creating legacy voltaxics and are trying to buy all of them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm probably still going to roll a Shock Nova trapper to start the league, but I look forward to trying out other stuff.

I also understand why they're nerfing chaos conversion, but I hope they don't mess too much with other elements; for some reason I really enjoy the silly amounts of scaling you can pull off with conversion builds.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

theshim posted:

The only thing I'm worried about is how hard/expensive good gear is going to be to find.

Cadiro spoiled me something fierce :v:

I have the same fear / worry. I'm going to miss being able to muck around with weird builds just because almost everything was super cheap.

Still not sure if I'm going to have the time for this league, so I'm glad I don't *need* that monkey pet (unlike the portal which was too gaudy to pass up).

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
finally got my 36 challenges in, taking a break until next league

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Touchdown Boy posted:

The reason this could be an issue is because a decent percent of the playerbase do not map very much if at all.

What? Are there seriously a lot of players who go past 70 without using maps?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty sure most players either map sparingly or hover around low-mid tier ones if my circle of friends is any guess

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Weren't people grinding to 100 in Dried Lake at some point?

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Touchdown Boy posted:

The reason this is could be an issue is because a decent percent of the playerbase do not map very much if at all. Locking away content might not be the best idea.

Chris has said that more than 50% of players don't get past Brutus. By this logic, most of the content in the game is locked away behind Brutus.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Weren't people grinding to 100 in Dried Lake at some point?

As far as I know this is a joke that havoc made when he hit 100 on his SRS character a couple leagues back. No one does this because it would take an obscene amount of time.

J posted:

Yeah they are probably gambling on the chaos conversion nerf creating legacy voltaxics and are trying to buy all of them.

A lot of people did that when we found out that consuming dark was getting changed from 75% to 50%. But the price of a 75% dagger in standard haven't lived up to the hype. I guess we will find out when we learn the exact nature of the chaos conversion changes.

Also, with the leagues ending soon, does anyone have some yolo exalting they planned on doing?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

funmanguy posted:

As far as I know this is a joke that havoc made when he hit 100 on his SRS character a couple leagues back. No one does this because it would take an obscene amount of time.

When he hit 100 in the 2week race he deliberately did the last couple hundred thousand xp in dried lake because why waste a map he can give to a guildmate who can put it to better use.

It was pretty funny tho.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

soscannonballs posted:

the Stun Immunity will free up one passive point

and more importantly, it lets you use a stibnite flask which is completely ridiculous. My marohi quaker last league ran one just to tank poo poo like argus and izaro because you can roll them to only use 7 flask charges and it makes things only hit you like 40% of the time even with barely any base evasion. If you take unwavering stance you can't evade attacks so the flask does zilch :saddowns:

I'm either gonna be a tricurse CI occultist that somehow makes Darkscorn work with lioneye's fall/wand and staff nodes, or axe onslaught lightning strike raider :black101:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Budgie posted:

When he hit 100 in the 2week race he deliberately did the last couple hundred thousand xp in dried lake because why waste a map he can give to a guildmate who can put it to better use.

It was pretty funny tho.

I did the same thing for the last 50k XP i needed. I was not interested in taking any chances at that point.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Grizlor posted:

and more importantly, it lets you use a stibnite flask which is completely ridiculous. My marohi quaker last league ran one just to tank poo poo like argus and izaro because you can roll them to only use 7 flask charges and it makes things only hit you like 40% of the time even with barely any base evasion. If you take unwavering stance you can't evade attacks so the flask does zilch :saddowns:

I'm either gonna be a tricurse CI occultist that somehow makes Darkscorn work with lioneye's fall/wand and staff nodes, or axe onslaught lightning strike raider :black101:

Argus and Izaro literally don't do any damage to my guy so that's not really an issue.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Katasi posted:

Chris has said that more than 50% of players don't get past Brutus. By this logic, most of the content in the game is locked away behind Brutus.

I think he said characters, not players, which makes it slightly different in meaning. But still he did say many dont map or do Atziri at all, maybe through bad builds or just lack of interest in levelling slower... who knows.

My point was locking this sort of stuff (ie character development) behind high end maps is an older mmo thing to do and something they havent really done in this game yet and I dont really see why they need to.

Chances are no one will care but if it means balancing around 8 points it will probably mean shitter ascendencies down the road as they try to balance it a bit. Also you are making it easier on people because they can choose more goodies instead of having to just pick what suits their build.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Touchdown Boy posted:

I think he said characters, not players, which makes it slightly different in meaning. But still he did say many dont map or do Atziri at all, maybe through bad builds or just lack of interest in levelling slower... who knows.

My point was locking this sort of stuff (ie character development) behind high end maps is an older mmo thing to do and something they havent really done in this game yet and I dont really see why they need to.

Chances are no one will care but if it means balancing around 8 points it will probably mean shitter ascendencies down the road as they try to balance it a bit. Also you are making it easier on people because they can choose more goodies instead of having to just pick what suits their build.

I only really skimmed the post about it, but did it explicitly say there were more ascendancy points? Offering no extra points but having a higher tier of enchants would make the most sense to me . (But I don't work for GGG sooo)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Touchdown Boy posted:

Chances are no one will care but if it means balancing around 8 points it will probably mean shitter ascendencies down the road as they try to balance it a bit.

I'd say it's more likely they'll create harder end-game content to handle these stronger builds.

Gibbo posted:

I only really skimmed the post about it, but did it explicitly say there were more ascendancy points? Offering no extra points but having a higher tier of enchants would make the most sense to me . (But I don't work for GGG sooo)

They did explicitly say that, yes.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

DaveWoo posted:

I'd say it's more likely they'll create harder end-game content to handle these stronger builds.

Well, hopefully. But it seems like they tend to nerf stuff they had made OP over buffing everything else but we will see.

Its not going to ruin the game or anything I just dont really see a need for more points is all.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Gibbo posted:

DaveWoo posted:

They did explicitly say that, yes.

Specifically a map-level Labyrinth for 2 more points, hence the argument.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

are the trials going to spawn in maps randomly like zana?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Touchdown Boy posted:

Well, hopefully. But it seems like they tend to nerf stuff they had made OP over buffing everything else but we will see.

Powercreep is not a positive thing. 2.2 was completely ridiculous and they need to do a lot of work to rebalance the game .

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

regulargonzalez posted:

Bugsy, up for taking a run at Atziri sometime in the next week or so?

I've got 4 sets so we can give it a go sometime. I would like to get to 90 this weekend beforehand.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bugsy posted:

I've got 4 sets so we can give it a go sometime. I would like to get to 90 this weekend beforehand.

Sounds good. I've tried it only once before and it didn't go so well, but my volt sparker is a stronger character so

I've got two midnights along with other shards so assuming things go well we can run multiple times.

Incidentally, it's amazing how much better drops get when you can run t10+ maps with ease. I'd never had a Lioneyes Glare drop before, had three in this league (amongst other previously high end drops). Too bad it's worth like an alch now

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 21, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
given that Voltaxic has been suggested to go legacy, I gotta wonder why they're still cheapish

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

TheRat posted:

Powercreep is not a positive thing. 2.2 was completely ridiculous and they need to do a lot of work to rebalance the game .

I mean some things are probably a little out of whack but 99% of players still can't do the hardest content of the game and the average player is having a lot more fun (evidence is higher player counts this league) so I think calling it 'completely ridiculous' is a point of view of an extreme minority of entitled players

edit:
Like, it still took me all league with the most broken build and a six-link and many exalts of gear to beat uber-atziri, and I'm a pretty experienced player. I was never anywhere close previously. I think that was actually a pretty good challenge level honestly.

Mince Pieface fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 21, 2016

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Keep in mind part of that was also Perandus league itself making powerful items much easier to get; I set my trapper up with two high-damage Consuming Darks and a 5l Carcass Jack for less than 3ex total.

Dumb question: do I need to actually have a character on Standard to keep collecting stuff after a league ends or does it all get sent to my stash regardless? I need more character slots.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So how do prophecies work in parties? If someone else in your party fulfils it, will it get removed from your list?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Keep in mind part of that was also Perandus league itself making powerful items much easier to get; I set my trapper up with two high-damage Consuming Darks and a 5l Carcass Jack for less than 3ex total.

Dumb question: do I need to actually have a character on Standard to keep collecting stuff after a league ends or does it all get sent to my stash regardless? I need more character slots.

Your stash tabs turn into Remove-Only tabs on Standard. You can take things out and the tabs will disappear when they're empty.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Phobophilia posted:

So how do prophecies work in parties? If someone else in your party fulfils it, will it get removed from your list?

Oh, Chris has answered the question. That's great, it means you won't miss a prophecy if it spawns in an area. I just hope it won't be too hard to find, especially in a windy area like many of those in Act 2.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Grizlor posted:

I'm going to do a detonate dead chieftain to start probably but was also planning an Oro's Sacrifice Lightning Strike Raider too! Are you planning on going chain or pierce? I think Deadeye might be more optimal because of the free +1 Chain, them you don't have to use either, but I really want to be a Raider

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Heh, got it to work... I'll never miss a good daily deal again:

(fades out 90% unless I mouse over it)

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

TheRat posted:

Yes, but making 'mistakes' or 'bold decisions' when implementing ideas then nerfing everything to cover it isnt good either.

I applaud GGG for changing the meta up every now and again, and unbalancing will happen, but again my main point was why give everyone 8 points. Thats definitely just power creep and not really going to add to balance... there may be some long term benefit but I just dont really see it.

Touchdown Boy fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 21, 2016

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
How do you know they aren't going to change the good nodes like perma-Fortify to require 6-8 nodes instead with some of the ones in front being below average. just because they've made nodes on the Slayer tree (the shittest ascendancy and only one we've seen) more accessible doesn't mean the same will happen for the broken ones

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 21, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
that node needs to just read "Fortify on Melee hit" and everyhting is fine again

next reign in Cast on Crit and Chaos and all the OP builds are normal again (maybe nerf EQ slightly)

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
All you need to know about the next league, as told by ItsYoji: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTxLF7uyO0

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

How do you know they aren't going to change the good nodes like perma-Fortify to require 6-8 nodes instead with some of the ones in front being below average. just because they've made nodes on the Slayer tree (the shittest ascendancy and only one we've seen) more accessible doesn't mean the same will happen for the broken ones

Its possible they would do that. Although they might depower some strong nodes, overall I would bet most will stay the same (for now).

Budgie posted:

All you need to know about the next league, as told by ItsYoji: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTxLF7uyO0

This is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I've tried to make it work in the past, but I think this will finally be the league where I pull off a Wild Strike / EE build that can make it into maps. Assuming they don't nerf Scion ascendencies, that is. It's such a powerful combo and completely wrecks through A2 merciless in previous attempts, the play style is tons of fun too. It's an interesting set of challenges to overcome; for example, how to scale damage up when literally every single damage aura (aside from Haste, if you count that) actually hugely lowers your damage.

• Locked thread