Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

hakimashou posted:

DId anyone see the thread? I wonder who it was.

There was someone the other day registering many fake forum accounts to spam the massivelyop post text into various threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

hakimashou posted:

DId anyone see the thread? I wonder who it was.

binkley has rereged and been banned on there like 4 times now or something, his stuff is usually pretty easy to tell its him. it seems like his MO

the 'non organizational profit' lunatic/moron guy also seems to have a pretty distinct voice too
I missed the thread as well, but I assume it's the same guy that has been trying to cause a ruckus by pretending to be Xur.

Which in part may have caused this:

Binkley and his alts have been showing up more and more at Risa lately. He hasn't said much while I've been around, so I assume he's waiting for a certain someone that has a special place in his heart.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

fakemirage posted:

I missed the thread as well, but I assume it's the same guy that has been trying to cause a ruckus by pretending to be Xur.

Binkley and his alts have been showing up more and more at Risa lately. He hasn't said much while I've been around, so I assume he's waiting for a certain someone that has a special place in his heart.

Someone claiming be from dental threatened to release the in game names of everyone in that subreddit, which is why it was made private.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 23, 2016

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Tuskin38 posted:

Someone claiming be from dental threatened to release the in game names of everyone in that subreddit, which is why it was made private.

Isn't it effectively too late at that point?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I did it.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Speaking of forum trouble, looks like Trendy is putting in some work.

https://twitter.com/LaughingTrendy/status/734804643742502913

Good to see our exclusive data mining rights are being defended though.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I looked at the patch notes for last week and this was pretty good.

quote:

The following abilities may no longer be activated while under the effects of the same ability from a teammate:
Boost Morale
Engineering Fleet
Engineering Proficiency
Lone Wolf
Precision Offensive
Radiant Subatomic Pulse
Revitalize
Science Fleet
Scientific Aptitude
Strike Team
Tactical Fleet

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

fakemirage posted:

Ah if someone is pretending to be Xur then it's probably gonna be Binkley he hates Xur for some reason.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

I missed this tweet last week

https://twitter.com/Salami_Inferno/status/732687424472539137

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

hakimashou posted:

Ah if someone is pretending to be Xur then it's probably gonna be Binkley he hates Xur for some reason.

Binkley has a pretty distinct posting style, though. I dunno, didn't Xur say he thought it was Nagus?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

DonDoodles posted:

Binkley has a pretty distinct posting style, though. I dunno, didn't Xur say he thought it was Nagus?

All the pubbies are kinda interchangeable to me. I'm glad someone posted that map of known alts to the wiki.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

18 Character Limit posted:

All the pubbies are kinda interchangeable to me. I'm glad someone posted that map of known alts to the wiki.

Nagus finally caught a ban for his obnoxious trolling and he might blame dental because ~dental conspiracy~

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Well, he ain't wrong. :mason:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The cabal with the best teeth :smuggo:

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Blog on the console UI. It looks a bit nice, I like the Inventory/Crew management windows.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9981193-star-trek-online%3A-console-ui

And another TOS mission

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9981053-star-trek-online%3A-battle-of-caleb-iv

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 24, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tuskin38 posted:

Blog on the console UI. It looks a bit nice, I like the Inventory/Crew management windows.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9981193-star-trek-online%3A-console-ui

Still no indication how they plan to make "you've got to constantly cycle two dozen clickies to keep up with high end queue content" work with a radial menu, though.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Well they couldn't themselves do enough dps to figure out why people that could were experiencing extreme lag in queues, so I doubt they'll be using enough buttons during play testing to see it as an issue.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Roadie posted:

Still no indication how they plan to make "you've got to constantly cycle two dozen clickies to keep up with high end queue content" work with a radial menu, though.

Built in space bar macro.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Morglon posted:

Built in space bar macro.

Right click autofire for abilities would be cool though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Either of those (both?) is pretty much the only way it could work without being an utter clusterfuck.

It's going to be an utter clusterfuck though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Of course it is those fucktards don't even know how to play their own game.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
[Zone] Binkley@Sub-Nagus Gooark: Anyway have a great night all, enjoy your time here, don't get trolled by somethingawful.com they lost their power in EVEonline and are mad

I know I personally am furious.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Oh gently caress we lost all our power?

But that would mean

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SKY COQ posted:

[Zone] Binkley@Sub-Nagus Gooark: Anyway have a great night all, enjoy your time here, don't get trolled by somethingawful.com they lost their power in EVEonline and are mad

I know I personally am furious.

People who play Eve deserve all the misery they get.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh no! Not... losses in EVE ONLINE! :ohdear:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Oh gently caress we lost all our power?

But that would mean

SA is dying.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unguided posted:

SA is dying.

Hello five years ago.

Of course you're absolutely right regardless of my low-effort comment.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It's going to be great when people realise that the Eve anti-goon alliance is actually made up of goon alt fleets.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Unguided posted:

SA is dying.
They been saying that since I got here

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Nessus posted:

They been saying that since I got here

Of course they have. SA, much like everything and everyone else, is dying and getting closer to death with each moment that passes. Nothing can halt the endless march of time that heralds the onset of entropy.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Slowly playing through the AoY stuff on Tribble and I'll definitely say it is charming, down to the "vintage" looking sector map, the screeching sound effects, the little remote control looking hand phasers, even how the Klingons and Tellarites look like their TOS versions and all the references to episodes (having just rewatched a good chunk of TOS the past week I was kind of surprised how much they worked in) but honestly...if its just these six episodes and then you're back to the start of the normal federation campaign with little side objectives peppered through the old fed content it all feels like a real weird decision. Maybe there will be a bunch of other stuff added and Tribble just doesn't have it depicted in the mission log yet because it feels weird that they put this much effort in to recreating the old TOS setting and then you're kind of kicked out of it after a couple of hours.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Rumors say it's going to be 9 or 10 episodes. I'm hoping they're going to be a full 30 like the Romneys got before they got the shared missions that every faction gets, like the Dominion Arc. My guess is they're just showing the beginning of it like they did with the romneys on tribble. They only really previewed the first handful of missions, I'm hoping they're doing the same thing here.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Delta had like what? Maybe 6 episodes and the rest generic space patrols so I'm not really going to get my hopes up on them adding a ton of content. Delta did have the Adventure zone which added more mission type stuff I guess.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yeah, I think people will be not so happy if it turns out to really just be a handful of episodes. Right now they have quest text up for all the starter missions (about seven or so I think, last two arent playable yet) that take you up to the "Report to the ESD" mission the feds get after their tutorial, but the quest text for that says instead "find out about your new job as a temporal agent etc" and then all the other following missions are the same quest text wise as the feds are. That is up to the end of the Borg arc, after which there is no more missions, which could just mean they didn't put the subsequent arcs up for no real reason, or maybe the real bulk of distinct AoY quests occur after level 50 skipping over the delta quadrant and iconian stuff. Unless they really rework the old Fed quests for AoY alts so that there's more to them than just a new do a scanning minigame to find narkuhl particle traces or something.

edit: Looking it up, Delta launched with about 17 missions though yeah like five or six of those were really just running through the patrols for the first time. Then there was the whole mini-arc on Kobali which wasn't really an episode but had like five or six quests. I think the big difference though is that if this initial batch of missions is all there really is they are just neat tutorial missions, like teaching you how to shoot on the ground and when to use full impulse in space.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 25, 2016

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Delta was also an expansion on existing factions, not a new half-faction with a new origin story like the Romney's were.

Delta also did that thing where they didn't release all the episdoes at once, so that could be a thing too.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I just hope they add a new ground battlezone where this time you go back in time to fight real T-Rexes. Why it's so hard for Cryptic to just one up the Dyson battlezone I will never understand.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Primarily because everyone on any forum they read (including this one in most cases, though I doubt Cryptic gives a poo poo about SA) loudly posts about how terrible ground is in general, and how we need more space stuff. Hence the space battlezones. Which people bitched about not being exactly the ground one.

Basically, when you send a content producer a shitload of mixed signals, they're going to output weirdness in response. Talk poo poo about Cryptic as a dev all you want to, since they do plenty of dumb, weird poo poo on their own, but a lot of the recent content output is probably the fault of the playerbase, because nobody who plays STO (and this includes goons) seems to actually know what they want from the game and we are all prone to hyperbole.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe I'm just too full of hope, but I can't imagine that they plan for you to play six missions and then just play the entire Federation storyline from the start.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Psycho Landlord posted:

Primarily because everyone on any forum they read (including this one in most cases, though I doubt Cryptic gives a poo poo about SA) loudly posts about how terrible ground is in general, and how we need more space stuff. Hence the space battlezones. Which people bitched about not being exactly the ground one.

I was referring more to the Kobali ground zone being kind of a dud, though part of that was it lacked the real simplicity of objectives that Dyson had but also it was absolutely terrible rewards wise. It was more like the old Adventure zones (Defera, Romulus) which I'm not sure if anyone ever really liked that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the kobali "adventure zone" or whatever the term for it was pretty much poo poo. The only saving grace was it being the only non-obnoxious way to get iconian rep token things, but to do that you had to do the whole tedious quest chain and every tedious open world mission at least once, none of which gave you even a fraction of the reward the time investment required would suggest. The battlezones were something you could pop into and then run a single event for quick daily marks or the whole thing for rather big rewards. Even if they nerfed terran space battlezone rewards compared to the old dyson sphere ones...

Veotax posted:

Maybe I'm just too full of hope, but I can't imagine that they plan for you to play six missions and then just play the entire Federation storyline from the start.
Don't be absurd.

... They'll just skip the SS Azura and a handful of other intro missions and do the other 90%. :downs:

I get the idea Cryptic is trying to get new players involved, really, but this seems... ill-advised? It feels like a load of effort for something that's basically meaningless and people will blow through and ignore in a few hours. As long as it's financially unfeasible to maintain multiple alts then adding new factions and gimmicks is completely pointless since everyone except the absolutely insane "run fifty alts twenty hours a day" lunatic sperglords will just go back to their mains. I wish Cryptic luck I guess, but I can't see it ending well. Not to mention being a nice tacit middle finger to klank and rom players. :v:

• Locked thread