Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Golden Goat posted:

its about first area enemies being able to still chump you even if you're at the end.

E: cept when folks are talking about them literally teleporting :psyduck:

I always figured enemies being dangerous no matter your progression was a selling point of the series, honestly.

Can't speak to teleporting dogs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I got this game on launch day, but I've only had time to play for about 40 hours. I'm up to the second bonfire in the secret area. The only thing I especially dislike about it so far is that if I invade anyone, be it through a covenant or with the red eye orb, they always already have a summon with them. I must have done over 100 invades, and I've not once come across a player doing PvE on their own. loving scrubs! That would entirely trivialize the game, surely? And yet. Actually, that's not entirely true because in that gank guild you get into through the secret wall and in the pit with the two lizards, like, the monk defenders or something? You tend to invade people who are at a bonfire, so sometimes they've just arrived I guess, and the summon doesn't appear until you invade. But, a summon "will" appear. Like, everyone is poo poo at this game, ok, that's not actually my gripe.

My gripe is that everyone is so chickenshit, that I've only been invaded twice.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

I always figured enemies being dangerous no matter your progression was a selling point of the series, honestly.

Revisiting older areas in Dark Souls was never challenging though since you both dealt more damage, took less damage, ignored more hits and as you've shown already know their patterns. You may not think it since this game does lean much more on caution & skill but your character really is getting more powerful through constant stat & equipment upgrades.

Since in DS3 poise doesn't behave like DS1/2 you immediately always feel as weak just because you got knicked my a hollow's broken blade and usually proceed to take more hits due to the stun.

Poise chat: I want them to properly fix it. Not just turn it back on since from a lot of people doing PvP it just creates a ton of Havel users but currently having it off makes it really silly in both PvE & PvP.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
please dont bring poise back and make rapiers and straight swords even stronger.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

!Klams posted:

I got this game on launch day, but I've only had time to play for about 40 hours. I'm up to the second bonfire in the secret area. The only thing I especially dislike about it so far is that if I invade anyone, be it through a covenant or with the red eye orb, they always already have a summon with them. I must have done over 100 invades, and I've not once come across a player doing PvE on their own. loving scrubs! That would entirely trivialize the game, surely? And yet. Actually, that's not entirely true because in that gank guild you get into through the secret wall and in the pit with the two lizards, like, the monk defenders or something? You tend to invade people who are at a bonfire, so sometimes they've just arrived I guess, and the summon doesn't appear until you invade. But, a summon "will" appear. Like, everyone is poo poo at this game, ok, that's not actually my gripe.

you do realize that invasion of any kind prioritizes hosts that have summons with them first, right? like, mechanically, the game is designed to have you invade people who have help. the pool of people at your SL and gear level that you can invade has to be empty (or almost empty) of people who have phantoms before you'll start hitting single hosts.

edit: because, again, they're trying to solve the "SL 1 +15 pyro hand dickwraith invaders in the undeadburg" situation

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

if youre not invading at least a 3v1 then the host is doing it wrong

at LEAST

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Iretep posted:

please dont bring poise back and make rapiers and straight swords even stronger.

Make them longer and bend and curve around corners to hit your target.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Whenever an Estoc or straight sword is not equipped, everyone should be asking "Where's [straight sword] or Estoc?"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gologle posted:

Whenever an Estoc or straight sword is not equipped, everyone should be asking "Where's [straight sword] or Estoc?"

:potg:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

!Klams posted:

I mean, I wear Way of Blue so poor bluebros get their drat items. But yeah I WELCOME invasions by activating Dried Finger any chance I get. I don't get as many hits as I'd like. Bonus points if I get more invaders and no bluebro. I welcome the chaos.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Golden Goat posted:

Revisiting older areas in Dark Souls was never challenging though since you both dealt more damage, took less damage, ignored more hits and as you've shown already know their patterns. You may not think it since this game does lean much more on caution & skill but your character really is getting more powerful through constant stat & equipment upgrades.

Since in DS3 poise doesn't behave like DS1/2 you immediately always feel as weak just because you got knicked my a hollow's broken blade and usually proceed to take more hits due to the stun.

Poise chat: I want them to properly fix it. Not just turn it back on since from a lot of people doing PvP it just creates a ton of Havel users but currently having it off makes it really silly in both PvE & PvP.

I've always been a "wear the shittiest rags" type rather than a poise type, so being staggered by everything is just the way DS is for me. I get where you're coming from, but I don't get the same dysphoria from being staggered.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Did some invading last night with a Heavy Great Club +8 at SL 70. This thing is actually really good? The R2 when Warcry isn't active has some deceptively large range and active frames, good for catching rollers and "poking". You get hyper armor on your one-handed and two-handed attacks at a pretty favorable point. The damage is pretty excellent at 40 STR. Naturally, it will one-shot pretty much anybody at this SL range with a Hornet Ring Riposte. I think I'm going to terrorize Irithyll for a while.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah I've genuinely never played through a DS game with heavy armor or a greatshield. Tried all kinds of magic, big weapons, small weapons, Str weapons, Dex weapons, dual wield in 2...but all of them as a light- or at most medium-armored character.

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012
For anyone looking to be a bit more creative, untrue white ring is way more useful for me than the one that turns you into the host - maybe because I haven't run into many people using it, everyone turns themselves into hosts.

Example here invading as a mad spirit from a week ago or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb7iFOdrjZQ&t=87s

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TheHoosier posted:

So uh, wolfbro on PS4 still not working? I dont know how much they widened the summon range but 45 doesnt seem THAT high. Hell, I wasnt getting any hits at 32.
Yeah it's still broken. Not as bad as bluecop, I got maybe half a dozen wolfbro summons but have yet to get a single blue invasion of any stripe.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Unfortunately farron problems seem to be related to accounts in that newer accounts seem to get summoned more often (always) than old accounts (never). From hasn't realized it's not related to level ranges so I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon.
Not on PS4, I went and made a brand new account the other night just to test this. Hour and a half of sitting without a single invasion.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
Is there a good level and area range on being a Blue Cop? I tried the family sharing trick and didn't really notice any difference on frequency in getting summoned. I have two guys at around 70-80 in Irithyll after the Pontiff bonfire and one guy at 27 in the undead settlement with a +2 weapon and I'm getting no hits for blue.

Plenty of reds invading me though which is great and all but I kinda wanted to just bumrush my 30 proofs before I go have fun with invasions.

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012
I got a blue invasion after the recent patch at 125 after maybe 5 minutes, and only having gotten them on that character pre-level 30 and +2 until that patch. I haven't been playing very often and after that invasion I went to go dried finger and seed of the giants in archives but that's my experience.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

I've always been a "wear the shittiest rags" type rather than a poise type, so being staggered by everything is just the way DS is for me. I get where you're coming from, but I don't get the same dysphoria from being staggered.

That's understandable, just wanted to get the idea across that the poise changes heavily effect certain builds and playstyles.

Do you find having poise behave the way it does in DS3 affect your light armour playstyle?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I was getting chain summoned as Aldrich last night at level 100 on ps4. It was fantastic.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Golden Goat posted:

That's understandable, just wanted to get the idea across that the poise changes heavily effect certain builds and playstyles.

Do you find having poise behave the way it does in DS3 affect your light armour playstyle?

Well, to be fair, I'm not convinced poise behaves in any significant or rational way in DS3. I've taken advantage of hyperarmor when I used the hollowslayer for a hot minute, but I didn't miss it when I switched to the uchi and gotthard's.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm sorta being gentle since saying it doesn't do anything attracts somebody to cram a reddit investigation post on what poise does.

I believe it doesn't do anything currently.

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Regardless of the poise changes you should be using the frames from the hyperarmor to trade. The absorption you get from armor is actually still very valuable. I don't really get the argument that an NPCs small weapon shouldn't stagger you if they get a hit on you when you aren't affected by hyperarmor. Just about making due within the context of what you have. The game is way easier than DeS or DS1 in my opinion.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Section Z posted:

Whenever I get around to another playthrough, even if I go for 32 Basic Good Greatshield strength I am going to feel like some kind of GOD sticking to faster weapons, after using a Raw Flamberge for everything past Vordt in my first run.

Except against skeletons, or other moments I desire a more hefty horizonal. I didn't use the Executioner's Greatsword even though I had it. But it never occurred to me to RUN from the million skeletons before the bridge until I was heading for round two with the boss. Because I just went hog wild scattering the top halves of skeletons eveywhere :black101:

Hell even if I wasn't using straight swords, I'd probably try to bring along a broken sword (1.0 weight) with me just for when I want to get a free stance art guard break on the PvE enemies vulnerable to that. (Oh how cute Havel blocked with his weapon for 0.75 seconds, idiot).

All that said? I can still appreciate the option to kill enemies with fewer swings in a larger arc. I'm sure Straight swords and axes have more Raw DPS and easier hit and run. But being able to carve my way through several Thralls at once or the like was always both satisfying and useful. Or having the longer reach to hit the bendy doll limbs of the Dancer and Consumed King between dodges.

I'm more annoyed that Normal Axes remain in that odd little niche of "They're pretty nice but why aren't you using a GREAT AXE then? Or a more efficient light weapon?", on top of them being bizarrely hard to come by.

What's that? You want a battle axe? Sure! It's in a mimic, already enchanted with Deep. Have fun blowing a Gem on it to make it buffable. Maybe the Bandit axe? We got all of ONE of those! How about that Man Serpent Hatchet all the way at loving Archdragon peak? Sure it only has the same scaling and damage of the Greataxe, but it has a barely functioning sickle effect!

And so on. Even the loving Hand Axe is a one per NG loot. Oh but you can get all the Thrall Axes you want! Quick Step and lowest damage of it's weapon category is what you are looking for in an Axe right?... But not the cool red hot ones from the Grand Archives, that would be silly.
Non great axes are tools peasants use, not the armaments of the conquerors of the world.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Golden Goat posted:

I'm sorta being gentle since saying it doesn't do anything attracts somebody to cram a reddit investigation post on what poise does.

I believe it doesn't do anything currently.

That's the rub, I think. For me, poise being useless is a "happy accident;" it doesn't effect my pve playstyle much at all and I don't have to deal with poise monsters in pvp. Hyperarmor as it stands is more interesting to play against and supports the mistime-attack-and-get-punished mechanics born out through the rest of the game while still letting players push through a set of light flurry attacks, in my opinion.

I feel like if the hyperarmor idea was tightened up quite a bit From could've found a good balance between the two camps.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah every time Bloodborne made me miss Souls' huge weapon variety I just had to remind myself that within weapon classes most of them were functionally identical, and that half of the weapon classes were just sort of "there" to populate the world with loot.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

Regardless of the poise changes you should be using the frames from the hyperarmor to trade. The absorption you get from armor is actually still very valuable. I don't really get the argument that an NPCs small weapon shouldn't stagger you if they get a hit on you when you aren't affected by hyperarmor. Just about making due within the context of what you have. The game is way easier than DeS or DS1 in my opinion.

It's not about the game being easy though, it a couple of things:
- It's about how disabling poise renders heavy armour builds way less worth it even with the damage absorption. It messes up one playstyle and for PvP renders another playstyle insanely better due to switching poise off. It shovels heavy armour builds to only use the heaviest possible weapon classes to make use of hyper armour.
- It fucks with the feeling of progress through increased equipment and stats when a common rat can stunlock you.
- It's about leaving poise on the main screen or have weapons give poise when really it does nothing.

Throwing this out there that DS3 is still an amazing game and poise changes by no means ruin it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Vargatron posted:

Re: poise

It's not a fun killer, but it would be nice if you had some return for wearing heavy armor and the stat investment required to do it. Granted you get a ton of defensive stats with heavy armor, but it does feel kind of awkward to have 3 rats stunlock you in the heaviest armor. It doesn't really bother me too much because I'm running a dex build with light armor, but I would be kind of pissed if I built my character around heavy armor and one of the key stats of that armor didn't work.

The lack of poise does mess with weapon balance a bit too. Hammers were short-ranged and slow but dealt strike and had great poise break, now you're just paying a heck of a premium for strike. A similar balance went for the ultra weapons with them being really slow but with decent reach, good spike damage and best poise break. There's not much incentive to use them now beyond warm memories of the bass cannon

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rough Lobster posted:

Non great axes are tools peasants use, not the armaments of the conquerors of the world.

But what if I'm playing as a peasant?

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

It's not about the game being easy though, it a couple of things:
- It's about how disabling poise renders heavy armour builds way less worth it even with the damage absorption. It messes up one playstyle and for PvP renders another playstyle insanely better due to switching poise off. It shovels heavy armour builds to only use the heaviest possible weapon classes to make use of hyper armour.
- It fucks with the feeling of progress through increased equipment and stats when a common rat can stunlock you.
- It's about leaving poise on the main screen or have weapons give poise when really it does nothing.

Throwing this out there that DS3 is still an amazing game and poise changes by no means ruin it.

It fucks with my feeling of progress, equipment and stats when my friend has common rats in his house, so, I can rationalize the rat thing. The main thing I find questionable about the poise thing is as you pointed out, there's a ring that increases poise. But I think hyperarmor is a more robust PvP system than poise while still keep armor as something valuable, that you can spec into, while not making it mandatory.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hm. That explains that rad video earlier. System working as intended and is superior to the old ones because ?????

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

It fucks with my feeling of progress, equipment and stats when my friend has common rats in his house, so, I can rationalize the rat thing. The main thing I find questionable about the poise thing is as you pointed out, there's a ring that increases poise. But I think hyperarmor is a more robust PvP system than poise while still keep armor as something valuable, that you can spec into, while not making it mandatory.

I think for PvP having poise working with hyperarmour might be a better solution. I don't think just reverting it back to old poise is a solution but turning it off completely has just leaned the balance in the other direction completely.

For PvE though I don't see a real good reason for having it off.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Eh? That's pretty much exactly how it works in this game. Almost every single humanoid enemy has zero poise and can be chainstunned from full to dead as a result. The only exceptions are large humanoids like the cathedral and black knights. You mention Lothric knights but they don't have any poise whatsoever, they just use their shields annoyingly well. The ones two-handing swords have hyper armour on many attacks, but they can still be stunlocked if you attack at the right time.

I can't think of a single normal sized enemy that has poise. Even loving Havel gets staggered by anything.

What is Havel even doing in this game?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Hanging out with Siegmeyer. Obviously.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

lite_sleepr posted:

HEY DO YOU REMEMBER DARK SOULS 1????????????????

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
In other "things Bloodborne did better" news, if there was no equipment weight and all armor was functionally identical we wouldn't need to complain about poise. It wouldn't even result in a loss of gameplay depth with the game playing as it does now.

Does anyone enjoy building their characters around weight limits? What purpose does it serve that switching an item out in the menu when you need it doesn't completely negate?

lite_sleepr posted:

It's just another guy in Havel's armor. There were a lot of them in the ancient past, but they're going extinct.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I cannot wait til I get a PS4 and Bloodbourne to find out how good it is. Everybody loves BB.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Equipment load would make sense in a game where heavy armor actually provided some kind of tangible benefit over light armor. If you could get like 50% damage resist from wearing big fatty armor it would actually make sense to spec some points in Vitality.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The poo poo bag frame rate made it hard for me to enjoy it tbh

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

That was fantastic, good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Eldred posted:

Didn't some dude figure out poise a couple weeks ago, and the effect is just different from DS1/2? https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jdwy6/dark_souls_3_poise_mechanics_im_pretty_damn_sure/

I'm the part of the video where he starts and ends his frame counting at different points in order to get different numbers. I'm also the part where he completely messes up the experiment by changing things like equip load. In addition, I am not, but I identify strongly with, the part where the actual mechanic in question is so minuscule as to be effectively worthless.