Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yesss, my wish of turning the SFV thread into an Overwatch thread came true.

Overwatch is pretty good, but let's be honest, a few of the things it's missing gets overlooked (heh) while other non-Blizzard games get crucified for them. This is poo poo like low tick rate, no server browser, lack of modes, no scoreboard, too casual, etc. I've been having lots of fun with it for now, but I've definitely had a lot more fun in the early days of TF2. There's also the annoying stuff like the game never making players feel bad ever which makes everyone think they're hot poo poo at this game and the goddamn cooldowns, but hey, it's a Blizzard game afterall.

I'd still play it over SFV even if they release Urien as the DLC char for June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

overwatch is blizzard getting over itself for once and making a cool thing

it's nothing but a well made tf2 but they did a really good job with the heroes and abilities

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Overwatch is a fun game for fun people to play :shobon:

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Why the gently caress do you need a scoreboard for a team based game?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

zooted heh posted:

Why the gently caress do you need a score board for a team based game?

To cover your own stats like kills/assists, time on objective, how much you healed, how much damage you've done, immediately see which team members and enemies are still alive, if they have their ultimate ready, how long their respawns are if they're dead, what classes/characters the enemies currently have.

Lots of reasons.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

zooted heh posted:

Because it's important to be able to point out which obnoxious teen to worship/blame for winning/losing the game.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

overwatch is blizzard getting over itself for once and making a cool thing
Nah, they already been doing that for some time with Heroes if the Storm. This would be the second time (in a row) that they sit down and say "gently caress it gently caress lore gently caress X-craft games gently caress everything let's just Make A Great loving Game"

HOTS is particularly funny because it used to have an intricate story explaining why the Lich King is fighting three Scandinavian vikings over pirate coins, but they finally decided to simply throw all of that in the garbage in favour of "WEL COEM TO THE NEXUS, HERO. IT IS TIME TO DO BATLE"

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

zooted heh posted:

To know who wins.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Street Fighter V: Let's Talk About Good & Fun Games Instead

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

you don't need a scoreboard to tell who's not doing their job. ow doesn't even keep track of kills because you get a elimination just by contributing one point of damage.

I think its kind of refreshing to not have all your stats on display.

all a scoreboard would do is keep people from doing the objectives more so then they do now because everyone would just be to worried keeping their kill/death up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

zooted heh posted:

you don't need a scoreboard to tell who's not doing their job. ow doesn't even keep track of kills because you get a elimination just by contributing one point of damage.

I think its kind of refreshing to not have all your stats on display.

all a scoreboard would do is keep people from doing the objectives more so then they do now because everyone would just be to worried keeping their kill/death up.

But Overwatch has a scoreboard? Like it doesn't show your exact K/D but it still has a board that shows the score for your Elims/Cart time/Who's Dead or alive when you press tab. That exists and doesn't do the thing you say it would.

Or by score board do you exclusively mean something that shows your Last Hits/Kills and your Deaths? Because you can totally have a scoreboard that doesn't focus on that or even show it at all.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or by score board do you exclusively mean something that shows your Last Hits/Kills and your Deaths? Because you can totally have a scoreboard that doesn't focus on that or even show it at all.

sorry that's what I thought the other poster was taking about and what I was referring to. I don't want someone sitting there and going "welp I didn't lose us this game I'm 12 and 4 as mei:smuggo:"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Overwatch's scoreboard is "the fewer medals you have, the worse you're playing". Only the gold players know exactly how much everyone else isn't doing.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

are the medals only given out to the 1st 2nd and 3rd place of their field and are those medals distributed among all 12 players?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

zooted heh posted:

are the medals only given out to the 1st 2nd and 3rd place of their field and are those medals distributed among all 12 players?

Each category has their own medals (Elims/Amount Healed/Time on Objective/People on Objective Killed/Damage Done) and the medals are per team, not per match so each team has medalists in every category.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

OW has the best scoreboard of anything I can remember. Straight to the point, encourages you to play the objective with your team, and generally cuts out the things that usually make people want to just focus on one stat.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Also assists count as kills which is very satisfying + makes you feel like you're doing ok at all times

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Hey I started up SFV to try some ranked to see if I could have some fun with this game in any fashion besides loving around with friends in battle lounge

I queued into the same ultra silver nash (I was rookie) twice in a row, then went against a rookie karin that had four bars but straight up teleport lagged their way to a perfect KO

so, nope, I guess, is the answer

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

OW has the best scoreboard of anything I can remember. Straight to the point, encourages you to play the objective with your team, and generally cuts out the things that usually make people want to just focus on one stat.

It's there to trick people who aren't good at the game into thinking they're still good so they keep playing and maybe buy more cosmetics :P

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

In Training posted:

It's there to trick people who aren't good at the game into thinking they're still good so they keep playing and maybe buy more cosmetics :P

Works on me!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I value knowing how i'm doing higher than I value being given a pat on the head for doing a good job so this trend of hiding stats has been a little annoying. It's not really a big deal one way or the other but if you're going to hide information to discourage hostile behavior I'd at least like to see my own KDA/MMR/whatever and have it be hidden from everyone else.

I only played Overwatch during the beta so my memory's a bit fuzzy but I think it does give you deaths, "eliminations" and "final blows" so you can find your KDA pretty easily with a bit of arithmetic. From what I've heard it does have a hidden MMR, though I'm not sure if that's true.

The weirdest version of this I've seen is in the Nexon Ghost In the Shell shooter, which lets you choose whether your KDA is visible to nobody, yourself, or everyone, but even if you turn it off everyone gets to see a little arrow pointing up/down or a horizontal line indicating roughly how well you're doing so all it does is reduce the precision with which people can call you trash.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 28, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
To get with this trend SFV should just turn off health bars, and at the end of the round it should announce "someone wins!"

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

dhamster posted:

To get with this trend SFV should just turn off health bars, and at the end of the round it should announce "someone wins!"

no one wins, just dc

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

SectumSempra posted:

no one wins, just dc

Wait a minute, that feature has been implemented since launch!

:aaaaa:
:allbuttons:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Kilometers Davis posted:

how is it straight to the point when it intentionally obfuscates info and doesn't give data that lot of players want to see?

also lol tick rate

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

SectumSempra posted:

I mean i doubt thats why because 3rd person games in general are still popular, but its a point.

Here's something more specific: 3rd person means a number of small camera problems or annoyances that would be tolerable in single player but aren't when you're fighting people. None of that is a factor in first person.

Zand posted:

how is it straight to the point when it intentionally obfuscates info and doesn't give data that lot of players want to see?
If the point is team play there's a case to be made for obfuscating individual data if showing it would actually encourage the kind of players that like to see numbers go up players to not play for the team.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 28, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chev posted:

Here's something more specific: 3rd person means a number of small camera problems or annoyances that would be tolerable in single player but aren't when you're fighting people. None of that is a factor in first person.

fps have their own issues mostly on console with FOV, turning speed, etc. that 3rdps don't

games like gow, PvZGW, TLOU/UC4, the division are all popular games i don't think either perspective is inherently more popular than the other, just that there have traditionally been more fps because the dev challenges were easier to solve before camera controls and other modern 3rdps conventions were figured out.

VVV
the camera also lets you see around corners though so it works both ways idk. i don't think either genre is superior in totum both have potential for good and poo poo games.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 28, 2016

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Real hurthling! posted:

fps have their own issues mostly on console with FOV, turning speed, etc. that 3rdps don't
Thos are very small issues compared to the fact you may just not be seeing what's in front of you with a 3rd person camera because it got stuck in a wall or behind your own character. And TPS games definitely have the turning speed issues too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

capcom putting the intro screen characters from ST into SFV? max and scott
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-27-sf5

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zand posted:

also lol tick rate

it tells you who is alive, who has supers ready and how you're doing relative to your team :shrug:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Pomp posted:

it tells you who is alive, who has supers ready and how you're doing relative to your team :shrug:

yeah exactly. data displayed in relative terms is not straight to the point at all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

yeah exactly. data displayed in relative terms is not straight to the point at all.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's straight to the point, but I feel it presents all the important information for a team shooter in a pretty rewarding way.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's straight to the point, but I feel it presents all the important information for a team shooter in a pretty rewarding way.
i want to know my kda in an fps personally and i see any available data as an avenue for improvement

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zand posted:

i want to know my kda in an fps personally and i see any available data as an avenue for improvement

kills is just who gets last hit. OW tells you the percent of damage you did to somebody. i don't see the problem unless you really care about being the last one because other games made you think that's important. i don't like the game for other reasons though

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

You can derive it easily anyway, and kda in a team shooter is both relatively unimportant and drives people to play TDM instead of accomplishing objectives.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

play zenyatta, heal your friends and snipe fools for 135 per (debuffed) headshot

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

but really, the game needs to be giving a shot ton more player feedback, during and after matches, than it currently does.

some better tutorials, explaining game modes, and doing in depth run downs of what characters are generally supposed to be doing would be a big loving help too

man if i see one more dumb rear end in a top hat ninja not throwing his shurikens and not wall climbing and double jumping everywhere!

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dias posted:

You can derive it easily anyway, and kda in a team shooter is both relatively unimportant and drives people to play TDM instead of accomplishing objectives.

This is bad fragger logic. If you're near the objective, more kills is more good. And dying feeds them more Ults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Faffel posted:

This is bad fragger logic. If you're near the objective, more kills is more good. And dying feeds them more Ults.

...and that's why you can see OBJECTIVE kills very clearly. Just showing K/D/A means you'll have people camping spawns, doing TDM and being useless fucks like they are in TF2 more often than not.

source: guy that leads team in objective kills 80% of games even if he isn't even medaling in overall kills