Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The Dave posted:

So when they release the cash shop they're pulling the DLC guys right? Because that is going to be a hilarious moment.
this is why not putting up the cash shop immediately was a huge mistake, cause you cannot give people free content then just take it away... there will be a significant negative reaction.

they really just need to go "ok those guys are all free thanks for your patience"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I really doubt the input lag is intentional given all the other technical problems. They just don't know how to work with UE4 and are probably horribly understaffed and/or mismanaged.

Like, if the cash shop was up and running and Birdie's chains didn't clip through each other during his VS screen model I'd believe it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cams posted:

this is why not putting up the cash shop immediately was a huge mistake, cause you cannot give people free content then just take it away... there will be a significant negative reaction.
They're probably going to need to do what DoA5 did and unlock one DLC character a month on a limited basis.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Here's STRIP FIGHTER beating Daigo in SSF4 with Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjyWQHmo34k
Wow this makes me so sad because seeing this shows how SF4 is a better game than SFV in almost every way.

Characters are more varied in gameplay. The close and long-range game is more interesting. Backgrounds are so much better. Characters have more personality. There are more things to do at every part of the game, leading to much more room for experimentation and innovation. The focus attack is a much more interesting and play-making mechanic than the V-poo poo. Overall the game is just so much more exciting and fun, even though I know it partially devolves into vortexes and option selects at pro level play due to some balance issues. The balance is so much better as well, even Dan can win tournaments once in a lifetime whereas I could never ever see Fang in his current form accomplish much of anything.

Besides incremental improvements like input buffers and combatting option selects, literally the only thing SFV is better at is the footsies-range game. Or well, I guess, Footsies in general. It's like someone decided that neutral-range footsies are the most exciting part of playing Street Fighter (which to be honest, it is a very major part of it) and designed the game to force out that meta-game in favour over everything else.

EDIT: Also major LOL at someone landing a raw lv3 focus on daigo haha. That was sick.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 30, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

cams posted:

they really just need to go "ok those guys are all free thanks for your patience"

Yeah, at this point people have had them for long enough that it's going to piss people off. I could maybe understand if the free period was really short, but Alex has been available for months.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is really interesting. Most of my experience with fighting games is with Smash, but introducing extra input lag seems like a really dumb idea.

The actual gameplay is really fun, especially if you aren't trying to compare it to all the other SF games you have played.

Most of the (justified) complaining is about everything surrounding the actual fighting part.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Bisse posted:

literally the only thing SFV is better at is the footsies-range game. Or well, I guess, Footsies in general.

ahahahahaha i loving love this thread

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

ahahahahaha i loving love this thread
Opinions are like butts: they post poo poo everywhere

No but seriously, SFV is soooo loving duuuuull, at least when I played or watched SF4 exciting things constantly happened at all levels of play and it was, at least, more fun than SFV.

EDIT: Like the recent Combo Breaker top 8. I ended up skipping much of it because it was just monotonous. I think another poster said the same thing earlier. The only noise from the crowd ever was when they were copying Karin's ho-ho-ho laugh because they had nothing else to do, that and cheers when someone won. And, like, i'm certain it's more fun to play than to watch. And the mechanics of SFV are better designed so it should be a better fighting game. And in many ways, it is. But I feel like somehow, somehow, that doesn't seem to have translated to a game that is actually more fun to play or to watch.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 30, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Goetta posted:

The actual gameplay is really fun, especially if you aren't trying to compare it to all the other SF games you have played.

I agree, I actually quite like SF5's actual fighting. I certainly prefer it to SF4, at any rate.

but i'm still probably not going to actually buy it for a while because £40-50 is asking way too much for a game that's blatantly not finished. I'll wait until the price is down and the game's actually feature complete.

it's kind of a shame really? because on the one hand, I do like the game so I don't want to see it fail, but on the other hand the general management of the game has been loving appalling and having it tank feels kinda deserved

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah that is a completely reasonable decision. I don't regret buying it at full price and have had a lot of fun with it but it certainly has warts.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Goetta posted:

Most of the (justified) complaining is about everything surrounding the actual fighting part.

I'm glad taking issue with bad throws, short pokes and limited characters isn't justified

edit:oh and basically nonexistant zoning

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I got SF5 for $20 used from Gamefly and I'm relatively happy with the skeleton of a game that it is. I also am a bit nervous at how much more I'll have to spend on the game to make it "complete" over the next few years. How many iterations did SF4 go through? I know I had to buy SF4, then SSF4, then USF4.

I guess buying DLC characters and getting free story content is the trade off.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
you can buy this game used for 20 bucks online but it's not even worth that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You can play Super Turbo for free, in fact

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Medullah posted:

I got SF5 for $20 used from Gamefly and I'm relatively happy with the skeleton of a game that it is. I also am a bit nervous at how much more I'll have to spend on the game to make it "complete" over the next few years. How many iterations did SF4 go through? I know I had to buy SF4, then SSF4, then USF4.

they claim that there will be no new versions to buy but in that case i highly doubt capcom will have a financial reason to fix anything major

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Medullah posted:

Reminder that PC users never had to buy super because it wasn't released on windows

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Pomp posted:

I'm glad taking issue with bad throws, short pokes and limited characters isn't justified

edit:oh and basically nonexistant zoning
you not liking the way something plays does not make it "bad."

this thread is a trash heap and it is only barely because of the game street fighter five

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
My theory is that Combofiend keeps breaking the cash shop on purpose just to let us have characters for free while the Capcom bosses are none the wiser.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Bisse posted:

EDIT: Like the recent Combo Breaker top 8. I ended up skipping much of it because it was just monotonous. I think another poster said the same thing earlier. The only noise from the crowd ever was when they were copying Karin's ho-ho-ho laugh because they had nothing else to do, that and cheers when someone won. And, like, i'm certain it's more fun to play than to watch. And the mechanics of SFV are better designed so it should be a better fighting game. And in many ways, it is. But I feel like somehow, somehow, that doesn't seem to have translated to a game that is actually more fun to play or to watch.

The only other time I remember hearing the crowd pop was when it was Alex vs Laura because hey gang, here's Alex and Laura and Alex brought his Hyperbomb with him. The wheels fell off that pretty fast though.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Pomp posted:

That's sort of true for Ryu, but after playing a bunch of ST Chun and O.Sagat most characters pokes feel either unacceptably slow or really short.

They could fix all the technical problems, but the characters just feel too limited. Choosing a fighting game character should be choosing your toolbox not your can.

if o. sagat is your baseline of ok pokes then i dont see how you could ever be satisfied

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, you do end up playing more of the ~footsie game~ in SFV, it's just that it's both not very rewarding to do so and when you get in on someone, you just get forced back into a pretty much neutral situation where you either play it super safe or do something dumb and hope they won't react to it. Also, people bitched about backdash in SF4 but in this game everyone backtechs and mashes jab anyway. Also you can't tick throw anyone and even good players haven't realized that yet so you see a lot of jab jab confirms on defense to win games.

cams posted:

Mostly why I don't say it's a bad game unless I'm being an rear end in a top hat, I just think it's bland and not to my taste at all.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
This game is pure frustration and there is no other fighting game to take remotely seriously yet. I'm not playing SFV because I like SFV I'm playing SFV because I really love fighting games.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cams posted:

this thread is a trash heap and it is only barely because of the game street fighter five

the throws are objectively bad when compared to any other street fighter game but sfxt

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Pomp posted:

the throws are objectively bad when compared to any other street fighter game but sfxt
yes, they are. it causes the close range movement to matter a lot more and makes it harder to tick throw off normals. this does not make the game bad, it means you don't like it. there are plenty of games where you can have buttons with huge hitboxes that are all safe on block and you can get huge damage off them. i will be playing guilty gear a lot a week from now. i like sfv for what it is.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Flinger posted:

Reminder that PC users never had to buy super because it wasn't released on windows

There was an MSDOS release of Super Turbo way back in the day. North America/Europe release.

edit: It's worth it to google the box art of the game. It's almost US mega man level.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 30, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A.o.D. posted:

There was an MSDOS release of Super Turbo way back in the day. North America/Europe release.

edit: It's worth it to google the box art of the game. It's almost US mega man level.

I had that and my computer couldn't handle it, but it was amazing being able to play the game at home even if it was only ~3 FPS. I could use Akuma at home!!!!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i really wish that long 3hr vid of infiltration just chillin' and chatting it up wasn't taken down so i could source my quote and post it over and over

instead ill go with the one i already had

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 30, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cams posted:

yes, they are. it causes the close range movement to matter a lot more and makes it harder to tick throw off normals. this does not make the game bad, it means you don't like it. there are plenty of games where you can have buttons with huge hitboxes that are all safe on block and you can get huge damage off them. i will be playing guilty gear a lot a week from now. i like sfv for what it is.

you don't need any of these things to have a game that isn't scrambly as hell

dangerdoom volvo posted:

if o. sagat is your baseline of ok pokes then i dont see how you could ever be satisfied

no they're really good

i want really good pokes

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Bisse posted:

Ricki vs JWong in Winner's Finals was an extremely fun match and the crowd was pretty hyped for it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

stiknork posted:

Ricki vs JWong in Winner's Finals was an extremely fun match and the crowd was pretty hyped for it

I thought Flash Metroid played Wong in Winner's Finals?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just play Melty Blood guys. It's got a dude that carries a whole zoo in his trenchcoat.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

oh yeah, it was semi's then?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
SFV has good matches every now and then. I keep telling people that the level of entertainment derived from a match has nothing to do with the game itself, but the circumstances, how close it is and how into it the crowd/commentators are. Of course, how much you care about the game itself is also a factor.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Kunai was poo poo in 3S and was only good for giving the other guy meter or as a way to delay your fall to bait people trying to tech empty jump throws.

Kunais are traditionally not projectiles so projectile-specific counters or invincibility shouldn't apply to them, with the downside that they don't cancel out other projectiles and will clash with hitboxes and fall out of the air. Though Capcom will probably gently caress that up too.

In before kunais colliding with fireballs crashes the game

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

cams posted:

this does not make the game bad, it means you don't like it.
If enough people dislike the game over things like this though, then eventually it becomes a bad game, right? A game being bad or good depends very much on if the players enjoy it or not.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Bisse posted:

If enough people dislike the game over things like this though, then eventually it becomes a bad game, right? A game being bad or good depends very much on if the players enjoy it or not.
sure, but the pure vitriol toward every aspect of this game is not something i find that much outside this forum. which is why i don't really pay much attention to this thread any more.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dias posted:

SFV has good matches every now and then. I keep telling people that the level of entertainment derived from a match has nothing to do with the game itself, but the circumstances, how close it is and how into it the crowd/commentators are. Of course, how much you care about the game itself is also a factor.
Nah. That plays a major part but the game plays a major part as well. DAIGO WITH THE FULL PARRY would not have happened in a game that did not have parries. And there was no particular hype just before that moment from the crowd (although ill give you that if it happened in a minor qualifying match it would probably not have become famous). That moment was 100% the game and the players.

I think the game absolutely plays a part in the excitement of the event. It can be the EVO2016 GF but not many will be getting excited if the players are playing SF Alpha 1.

I would personally get kind of excited tho

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dias posted:

the level of entertainment derived from a match has nothing to do with the game itself

real quotes, real people

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I feel like they have to let the DLC characters be free now. Everyone will have gotten bored and blown their easy fight money.

I can't even be mad that I bought the season pass. I blame myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

ST Claw