Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's not worse, it's just different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope capcom puts out a guide video soon at least.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Making all DLC free would only piss off the suckers that spent money on the season pass.

Full disclosure, I am one of those suckers.

While it might be a nice gesture, I don't think it'd be all that helpful in making the game more appealing to start playing or keep the current player base around. There are people like me who really want their characters and will like them regardless, but what needs to come around is Capcom actually talking about what is going to happen. Let us in on planned changes, additions, fixes, changes in matchmaking or general online stability - anything about the future of this game. It's nothing but dead silence until we get another trailer/DLC thing at the end of the month. Even if they continue to plan to do nothing until the end of CPT, they have to have a wealth of information in regards to changes they'd like to make by now.

Combo Breaker almost made me excited. It's a frustrating game for me to learn as I can't just sit in training mode and work on execution or combos when I'm lost about how to get better. My problems are rooted in how I approach a match, and my comfort level being so pitifully low, then questioning anything and everything I learn while playing online. All things solved by simply grinding - and yet it's the same reasons that has me playing DS3 or some other thing instead.

Something promising from Capcom would do me better. "We are aware of the issues people are voicing, and have here ideas we are considering.." Something like that would go a long way in getting me more invested, especially if they're willing to talk about adjustments to game-wide mechanics in addition to the characters.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fereydun posted:

real quotes, real people

It doesn't. It has to do with how much you enjoy the game, but not with the game itself, otherwise no one would ever watch baseball.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

About a year ago I was like, "I'm going to buy street fighter 5 and become Proficient at fighting games" but then it came out and I didnt buy it at all, how good of a decision did I make?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dias posted:

It doesn't.
It does, you're wrong, i'm sorry my friend. To follow your own example: Soccer is a much more popular sport than baseball largely because it's a more fun sport to watch. Shorter matches, more impactful moments (goals), and a more dynamic game with constant motion, with a clear understandable way of telling who is winning.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I enjoy it from time to time and it's probably not the worst fighting game to try and learn with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bisse posted:

It does, you're wrong, i'm sorry my friend. To follow your own example: Soccer is a much more popular sport than baseball largely because it's a more fun sport to watch. Shorter matches, more impactful moments (goals), and a more dynamic game with constant motion, with a clear understandable way of telling who is winning.

Then why isn't it more popular in America if its apparently objectively better

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

soccer is popular for much more important reasons than that.

also it sucks watching it every four years when my friends make me.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Control Volume posted:

About a year ago I was like, "I'm going to buy street fighter 5 and become Proficient at fighting games" but then it came out and I didnt buy it at all, how good of a decision did I make?

Pretty good. Not because SF5 is a bad game, but because becoming proficient at fighting games is a time-consuming chore and leaves you able to think about video games only as a series of colliding green and red rectangles.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bisse posted:

Soccer is a much more popular sport than baseball because the British made sure to spread it all around Europe, mostly. Even then, it only became super popular in the 20s or 30s, and you can trace the origin of many South American clubs to Europeans, mostly Germans and Italians, which immigrated here during the World Wars.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

In Training posted:

Who said it was objectively better?

I guess I should go compare these findings to the stream of the latest world finals of Checkers - oh wait there isn't one. Because most people don't watch or play this ancient well-known game on a regular basis. There are much more available streams and competitions on Chess and Go though. Hmm, I wonder why.....

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 31, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

shedding a tear for checkers. also your friends and fam

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bisse posted:

Who said it was objectively better?

I guess I should go compare these findings to the stream of the latest world finals of Checkers - oh wait there isn't one. Because most people don't watch or play this ancient well-known game on a regular basis. There are much more available streams and competitions on Chess and Go though. Hmm, I wonder why.....

But then you're talking about something different altogether. For a game to get traction, it must be entertaining to play and have strategic depth. But once you get past that barrier, there isn't X or Y competition that is more "hype" than others, which is my point. There's also the cultural aspect of some competitive games, like tennis and chess, where you're supposed to be quiet and respectful, unlike soccer and basketball, which have way laxer "rules of behavior" for spectators.

point is don't be the stupid idiot on twitch chat sayin' mkx isn't hype look at this fake hype when people are making noise because you're just a stupid idiot if you do so

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Control Volume posted:

fight me in ST

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

our poor people don't have big fields to play in so they play basketball instead

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Dias posted:

Soccer is a much more popular sport than baseball because the British made sure to spread it all around Europe, mostly. Even then, it only became super popular in the 20s or 30s, and you can trace the origin of many South American clubs to Europeans, mostly Germans and Italians, which immigrated here during the World Wars.

Things required to play baseball: bats and mitts and poo poo
Football: something kinda round. We could fit a fighting game analogy somewhere

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

quote:

point is don't be the stupid idiot on twitch chat sayin' mkx isn't hype look at this fake hype when people are making noise because you're just a stupid idiot if you do so
And how about if it's the same type of crowd, the same type of tournament, the same type of setting, the same type of culture, and literally the exact same players, but a different game?

I don't think i'm the only person who gets bored of SFV matches already. And there have been several tournaments, with the same stakes, the same attention, and the same players as in SF4. And, in my opinion, taking the matches and the talk and the crowd and all other surrounding things into account, the same SF4 tournaments were exciting, while the same SFV tournaments have been fairly dull. Literally the only variable that has changed is the game being played. Or can you point out what else it is that changed, that I have missed, that for some reason is causing the excitement levels to be overall lower when watching SFV compared to watching SF4? Because I can't find any other significant changed variable than The Game.

I guess we'll see how exciting EVO SFV turns out to be. Maybe the game needs a bit more time to evolve and EVO will have an amazing SFV tourney full of memorable moments. But, maybe we can both agree, that if EVO SFV rolls by, and there wasn't really much excitement on the SFV end as there have been on SF4 end previous years, then we can agree that SFV just doesn't seem to be as exciting of a game as SF4 was? Would that be a strain of logic you can get behind.

The only other option would be people just getting tired of SF in general. But I have a hard time buying that considering how much hype was surrounding the SFV launch, and people haven't stopped playing ST/3s.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 31, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Control Volume posted:

I had the same thought back in Februrary, looked at my computers spec's and bought Xrd instead. Now I'm an obsessive weirdo and I've alienated my girlfriend.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Bisse posted:

And how about if it's the same type of crowd, the same type of tournament, the same type of setting, the same type of culture, and literally the exact same players, but a different game?

I don't think i'm the only person who gets bored of SFV matches already. And there have been several tournaments, with the same stakes, the same attention, and the same players as in SF4. And, in my opinion, taking the matches and the talk and the crowd and all other surrounding things into account, the same SF4 tournaments were exciting, while the same SFV tournaments have been fairly dull. Literally the only variable that has changed is the game being played. Or can you point out what else it is that changed, that I have missed, that for some reason is causing the excitement levels to be overall lower when watching SFV compared to watching SF4? Because I can't find any other significant changed variable than The Game.

I guess we'll see how exciting EVO SFV turns out to be. Maybe the game needs a bit more time to evolve and EVO will have an amazing SFV tourney full of memorable moments. But, maybe we can both agree, that if EVO SFV rolls by, and there wasn't really much excitement on the SFV end as there have been on SF4 end previous years, then we can agree that SFV just doesn't seem to be as exciting of a game as SF4 was? Would that be a strain of logic you can get behind.

The only other option would be people just getting tired of SF in general. But I have a hard time buying that considering how much hype was surrounding the SFV launch, and people haven't stopped playing ST/3s.
haha yeah okay bye thread

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I mean I was at the cb venue and even though I wasn't actually watching, dudes were getting mad loving hype

I really dislike SFV as a game but there's plenty to hate on it for without making stuff up and acting like it was snoring and crickets at combo breaker

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Here's STRIP FIGHTER beating Daigo in SSF4 with Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjyWQHmo34k

genuinely laughed out loud watching daigo get hit by The Ume Shoryu™ over and over by dan of all people

Why did they nerf DP's in this game if it's about Hard Reads and Commitment? Isn't the DP the primary example of that?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Flinger posted:

Things required to play baseball: bats and mitts and poo poo
Football: something kinda round. We could fit a fighting game analogy somewhere

That is also a factor. Also, how it was way easier to get one of those equipments in a country and way harder to get them in others. Another fighting game analogy to be made there.

Bisse posted:

That's because you don't give a gently caress about SFV as a game. See, neither do I, so it bores me a lot more than SF4 ever did. But then again I knew people that were bored by SF4 during it's peak because they'd rather watch Marvel. However, if the stakes are big enough, or if the situation is high-pressure enough, I'll get hyped up for a match, and I'm pretty sure some people are REALLY into Ken doing random unsafe runs into st.HP, which is mostly my point.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm the exact opposite and would watch SF4 just because it was THE event at EVO but I find SFV a lot more fun to watch and play

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

AnonSpore posted:

I really dislike SFV as a game but there's plenty to hate on it for without making stuff up and acting like it was snoring and crickets at combo breaker

Haven't you heard? It's a dead game.
:goonsay:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dias posted:

That's because you don't give a gently caress about SFV as a game.
I totally do though, that's the issue. Like, i've been looking forward to it, put considerable hours into it, and want to love it. But the difference with this game is the excitement just isn't happening.

I'll try to elaborate but i'm having a hard time putting this into words:

I think a major part of the issue with the game is, to me, it feels like they've taken a lot of design decisions with SFV that make it have much less intensity, less memorable moments, and the game kind of just spreads out into a samey stream. Like, a major example is no chip-damage kills, but there's a lot of other things as well, that I have a hard time putting my finger on. There's other people saying it feels like a lot of characters play the same way. And there's that quote by, was it Infiltration, saying basically if you removed the player names from the matches, you'd have no idea who's playing. And a lot of matches and situations just kind of feel similar. It's hard to put a finger on exactly why, but if I was going to try, my first thought is that there's not many moments that 'stick out' and I kind of feel like the gameplay is very constrained and leaves less room for players to innovate and come up with new playstyles for characters. But, it's something that can totally change in a few months as the game evolves.

So in summary, with the current state of the game, there's an element of excitement that so far seems to be lacking from SFV due to how it's designed and balanced. And it's something that I think comes down to stuff that is "fixable" with smaller tweaks to characters and game mechanics. But that's how I feel about the current state of the game.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 31, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bisse posted:

I totally do though, that's the issue. Like, i've been looking forward to it, put considerable hours into it, and want to love it. But the difference with this game is the excitement just isn't happening.

I'll try to elaborate but i'm having a hard time putting this into words:

I think a major part of the issue with the game is, to me, it feels like they've taken a lot of design decisions with SFV that make it have much less intensity, less memorable moments, and the game kind of just spreads out into a samey stream. Like, a major example is no chip-damage kills, but there's a lot of other things as well, that I have a hard time putting my finger on. There's other people saying it feels like a lot of characters play the same way. And there's that quote by, was it Infiltration, saying basically if you removed the player names from the matches, you'd have no idea who's playing. And a lot of matches and situations just kind of feel similar. It's hard to put a finger on exactly why, but if I was going to try, my first thought is that there's not many moments that 'stick out' and I kind of feel like the gameplay is very constrained and leaves less room for players to innovate and come up with new playstyles for characters. It's something that can totally change in a few months as the game evolves. But a bad sign is that in many ways the game already feels stagnant.

So in summary, with the current state of the game, there's an element of excitement that so far seems to be lacking from SFV due to how it's designed and balanced. And it's something that I think comes down to stuff that is "fixable" with smaller tweaks to characters and game mechanics. But that's how I feel about the current state of the game.

I mean, wanting to give a gently caress about it doesn't mean you do, it's basically what you said yourself. You wanna like it, but you can't, and that's fine. I wanted to like it, then beta 2 and 3 kinda drained my enthusiasm. That kind of stuff kinda seeps into your enjoyment of it as an spectator, which is only natural. Most of the issues you have are the issues I have with it too - it's bland and samey - so don't think I'm arguing in favor of SFV. But there can still be good matches and hype moments in the game even for us, I feel.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dias posted:

I mean, wanting to give a gently caress about it doesn't mean you do, it's basically what you said yourself. You wanna like it, but you can't, and that's fine. I wanted to like it, then beta 2 and 3 kinda drained my enthusiasm. That kind of stuff kinda seeps into your enjoyment of it as an spectator, which is only natural. Most of the issues you have are the issues I have with it too - it's bland and samey - so don't think I'm arguing in favor of SFV. But there can still be good matches and hype moments in the game even for us, I feel.
Right, agreed. And hoping the game evolves to be good and more exciting. Either through players evolving the game or through updates.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

will capcom ever make the money I spent on the Season Pass worth it? inquiring minds want to know!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

will capcom ever make the money I spent on the Season Pass worth it? inquiring minds want to know!

yes but only because can you imagine their ingame real money handling system being even remotely trustworthy at all considering the circumstances

oh also i guess nobody has mentioned it but ibuki is coming out in june

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 31, 2016

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

hiddenriverninja posted:

People who bought the game on sale are wondering the same thing, don't think you have much hope there, season pass guy

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

cams posted:

this is why not putting up the cash shop immediately was a huge mistake, cause you cannot give people free content then just take it away... there will be a significant negative reaction.

they really just need to go "ok those guys are all free thanks for your patience"

at which point season pass holders will pull out their pitchforks.

Control Volume posted:

a very good decision.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 31, 2016

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Fereydun posted:

i really wish that long 3hr vid of infiltration just chillin' and chatting it up wasn't taken down so i could source my quote and post it over and over

instead ill go with the one i already had

gently caress, why did this get taken down? I was saving it for a rainy day when I'm bored as gently caress. I only watched the bit where he talked poo poo about Final Round. Seems like a shame to have it taken down since the translation seemed to be manually done.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tell me there's a link for it somewhere else I need to see Infiltration talk about poo poo

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
The season pass I bought on PC literally did nothing to me and because of timing differences I had to stop playing it.

I think throws themselves are in a weird place: their startup and range is bad except for like bison (but he walks like a snail), but then it's so hard to react to anything you have to pre-emptively tech them in expectation that they're walking into range and throwing. OTOH there's garbage like holding back allowing you to walk right out of tick throws unless you're fortunate enough to be Karin/Laura to have massively plus light normals that don't push back too much.

For example, Ken actually *can't* do tick throws in the traditional sense with ground normals because it loses to holding back. You need a blocked jump-in or some vtrigger cancel thanks to the janky combination of short throw range + high throw startup. It doesn't help that Ken usually needs super or vtrigger to even make the opponent flinch about blocking high too much. He's a strong character regardless but I feel like an idiot going for tick throws because most good players will be aware he lacks reliable setups. It just feels off to not have something that basic in a street fighter game.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

Fereydun posted:

oh also i guess nobody has mentioned it but ibuki is coming out in june

Maybe - they're still being pretty nebulous about the whole thing.

The Japanese blog post says something about her being released at the same time as the story mode, and to stay tuned for more details about her release.

It's hard to say that this wasn't expected with Capcom West refusing to give out any hints of information about her release date, but I'm disappointed because I was hoping to play with her a bunch before Revelator came out.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

wouldn't it be cool if capcom had any sort of transparency about what things they would address and when, or any response to community issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EemoOviEC74&t=23s

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Booyah- posted:

wouldn't it be cool if capcom had any sort of transparency about what things they would address and when, or any response to community issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EemoOviEC74&t=23s

"were not gonna do anything"

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

This game is pure frustration and there is no other fighting game to take remotely seriously yet. I'm not playing SFV because I like SFV I'm playing SFV because I really love fighting games.

Play Xrd, its cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I bought a recroommasters arcade cabinet for my office and it gets delivered this week

I didnt want to ruin an actual cab with my club-like unskilled hands and general idea on the theory of how to solder, plus im lazy, already have a low lag display i can toss into it.

Figured just toss my ps3/ps4/pi 3 into it and be a dad nerdlord

Does anyone have any experience with the boards in the xtension panel? I grabbed a couple brooks converters for the ps4, and if those fail/suck for whatever reason i can swap em out with an actual pcb