Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Panaflex posted:

Yeah you're technically supposed to keep any existing OEM emissions equipment intact on all vehicles back to 1966. But since only 1976 and later vehicles are inspected no one ever abides by that rule for 1966-1975. Also you can't swap an older motor into a newer vehicle. The motor has to be the same manufacture year or newer than the receiving vehicle.

Yeah, that's why I said "in practice" 1975 or earlier. There is no mechanism for them to check up on you if you don't have regular smog checks, but you're technically not in compliance if you gently caress with a '66-'75 vehicle. But, obviously, this truck is earlier than both those years, so that is neither here nor there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So apparently the V8 swap is meant to be. Turns out the bellhousing I need for a V8 truck is on eBay and pretty cheap.
Now I just need to find an engine. And brakes. And wheels. ALMOST THERE!

Also, I'd really like to say thank you for everyone who donated to the GoFundMe. You guys are so super awesome, and that thing went way higher than I ever thought it would!
I can assure you that we will put this money to great use!

E;

Leperflesh posted:

I'm just thinking of the likely scenario that a cop pulls over to investigate the shitheap truck being actively mechaniced on the side of a state highway at 11pm on a tuesday, and there's any legal paperwork that isn't completely above the board. The truck being from one state, all drivers being from other states, and any registration being from yet another random state. I suppose that cop is not super likely to check for matching VINs on engine blocks or whatever. I don't know, I live in California where you can't just randomly swap engines into things, and I'm also automatically leery of any situation where the "owner" can't adequately prove their ownership of the thing they're selling.

But yeah I guess it'd probably be fine.

I'm not super worried about this, as I do have the title for it, and it is a clear title. I need to get off my rear end and have it transfered over to me though. But otherwise, it will be titled, plated, and insured in Florida, so everything should be good to go. As good as you can be in a 60yo truck making a cross country journey anyways.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Do y'all have any inklings as to timing on the project? Before winter hits the midwest, obviously, but I had mentioned that I'd be able to take a triangle route to St. Louis and drop off an engine if it would help:
The plan would be to buy the thing, remove the engine, and haul the rest to a junker's.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Elephanthead posted:

You can buy an intake that will let that Buick have a distributor and carb. All you need then is a hot wire to make it go and some gas.

Do yo have a link for said kit?

scuz posted:

Do y'all have any inklings as to timing on the project? Before winter hits the midwest, obviously, but I had mentioned that I'd be able to take a triangle route to St. Louis and drop off an engine if it would help:
The plan would be to buy the thing, remove the engine, and haul the rest to a junker's.

Well, I'm trying to shoot for sometime around August, but nothing's set in concrete. Though having this on hand would help immensely.
If you do buy it, save the bellhousing as well. We'll need that.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, surprisingly, Rockauto carries the wheel cylinders for the 1.5 ton trucks, but nothing else.
Return springs and shoes seem to be somewhat hard to source, according to the Stovebolt members. But we'll figure something out. Who needs brakes anyways?

And we are go for a V8 swap. Ordered the mounting kit for the brackets. Now we just need an engine. :v:

*Nevermind, found the springs while typing this post up.
I guess finding tires will the be the next bit expense. I found 7.50x20 tubes at a agri-supply place, so we might be running tractor tires on this thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

So, surprisingly, Rockauto carries the wheel cylinders for the 1.5 ton trucks, but nothing else.
Return springs and shoes seem to be somewhat hard to source, according to the Stovebolt members. But we'll figure something out. Who needs brakes anyways?

How difficult/expensive is it to swap in some discs? Would be nice to have a couple of giant discs and calipers up front for better stopping power.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Over or under my dead body

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Kicked in $25, I can't help but fund this particular type of insanity. Goonspeed you glorious fucks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

leica posted:

How difficult/expensive is it to swap in some discs? Would be nice to have a couple of giant discs and calipers up front for better stopping power.

Once it's home and can be measured, played with, partsbin engineered, and tweaked? Easy. In a field in Nebraska before a 2000 mile drive? Concerningly difficult unless someone else has done it and posted an incredibly detailed writeup. Hell, probably difficult anyways even with one, no telling what in the last 60 years has been hack fabbed, junkyarded off mildly compatible vehicles, or partsbinned at the factory/dealer that works fine with stock app parts but wildly conflicts with a disc swap recipe put together by some other dude with a theoretically-identical truck.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Once it's home and can be measured, played with, partsbin engineered, and tweaked? Easy. In a field in Nebraska before a 2000 mile drive? Concerningly difficult unless someone else has done it and posted an incredibly detailed writeup.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, might be worth a shot if it's been well documented but what are the odds of that. Too bad because it would be some nice insurance for the long trip home.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To be honest, well-functioning drum brakes worked fine and still work fine for big vehicles. If I wanted to make the system safer I'd be thinking more along the lines of a two-circuit brake master/slave cylinder system, plus making sure all the parts are in good condition etc. You'll be driving the truck mostly unloaded compared to what it's capable of as a dump truck, so your brakes will probably have gobs of stopping power once they're in good condition.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-24502592

Here is the part number. Ebay is probably your best source as price seem to be going up. I think there is an optispark block off plate you need also. Maybe I am thinking about an electric water pump though.

This is what happens when you stockpile LT1s in your garage and try to figure out what to do with them. They are so cheap when the optispark shits the bad for the 4th time.

Brand:Chevrolet Performance
Manufacturer's Part Number:24502592

Edit: I think you can drill new holes in any old SBC intake also. Which for this project is probably the AI way to go if you really want your SBC to be a messed up Frankenstein. I would just find any truck engine with manual transmission complete and strap it in place with ratchet straps if it were me. It is unlikely you are ever going to be able to stop the truck without dying so no need to plan for reliability.

I would just find something like this on the way.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/5562499775.html

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 31, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
As a reminder: do never buy.

Whoops

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 31, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Leperflesh posted:

To be honest, well-functioning drum brakes worked fine and still work fine for big vehicles. If I wanted to make the system safer I'd be thinking more along the lines of a two-circuit brake master/slave cylinder system, plus making sure all the parts are in good condition etc. You'll be driving the truck mostly unloaded compared to what it's capable of as a dump truck, so your brakes will probably have gobs of stopping power once they're in good condition.

Remember that those brake shoes are absolutely 150% definitely asbestos and should be treated with all due respect. I'd probably get a set from a junkyard and have them relined, and then clean everything religiously with a pressure washer in someone else's yard*.

* seriously though, you don't want the overspray or runoff full of asbestos dust anywhere either. It's just a lovely lovely thing to have to deal with.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, I looked into a disc swap, and while it can be done, it involves a fair bit of work and possibly changing the front rims as well. Which IS something I'd like to do eventually, but that's for when I have plenty of free time to work, measure, engineer, and get frustrated and walk away.

For now, the goal is get things up and running as quickly as possibly, without too much parts swapping. Though upgrading to a two stage master cylinder is definitely on the agenda.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

kastein posted:

Remember that those brake shoes are absolutely 150% definitely asbestos and should be treated with all due respect. I'd probably get a set from a junkyard and have them relined, and then clean everything religiously with a pressure washer in someone else's yard*.

* seriously though, you don't want the overspray or runoff full of asbestos dust anywhere either. It's just a lovely lovely thing to have to deal with.

Don't forget to wear a mask, and using a spray bottle full of water will be better than pressure-washing. Mist until it's soaked, then gently wipe up as much as you can, wrap that in another rag/paper towel, let it dry, and sacrifice a can of any cheap resin to encapsulate it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Use a proper mask, not a painter's dust mask. For asbestos you need like a P99 filter or better.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
While your suggestion is the safer course of action, they can probably get away with N95 masks as long as they aren't stirring up dust and smearing it on the mask. Those are the most commonly available at home improvement stores. If anyone has facial hair, either shave or make sure the mask fully covers it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Just get a 3M series 6000 or 7000 (iirc they take the same filters, I have a 6k) and use whatever filters you want that people say you will be fine with. N95 at home depot are expensive, I actually use P100 filters these days because they're smaller, lighter, cheaper on amazon, and apparently filter asbestos fibers and particulates better than N95.

N95s sure are great for cleaning out bachelor fridges though. Some idiot (me) let some milk spoil REALLY BADLY once and with a 6000 mask and N95 filters, I poured it down the drain without smelling anything.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
N95s are the poo poo.

About to don one to clean up some moldy drywall and insulation.

Fake edit: and my wife uses one when she has to work in the unique pathogens lab at her hospital.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kastein posted:

Some idiot (me) let some milk spoil REALLY BADLY once and with a 6000 mask and N95 filters, I poured it down the drain without smelling anything.

I did this once too...it was one of those cloudy plastic half-gallons, and I never even opened it. Just jammed it in back of the fridge and forgot about it for a few months. When I finally took notice of it, it was swollen as tight as a 2L soda bottle, and bulging like it was going to explode any second :stonk:
I grabbed it as gingerly as I could, hustled it to the back door, and bombed it as hard as I could into the back yard :haw: Cleaned up the bottle remnants a few days later, and it still smelled awful.

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat
I was reading this thread in a coffee shop and Freebird came on right as the truck reached Nebraska...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Jealous Cow posted:

unique pathogens lab
I would not take this job.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would not take this job.

Yeah it's pretty :black101:

They can't force anyone to deal with those patients either so it's staffed entirely voluntarily.

Some of the poo poo she sees is :cry:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Given the strict protocols involved, she's probably in less occupational hazard than your average automotive mechanic.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Given the strict protocols involved, she's probably in less occupational hazard than your average automotive mechanic.

To be fair this is true. The procedures they follow are super strict and monitored at all times by two people through glass at all times from each side of the room where they suit up/decontaminate.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Thanks for the link. That'll come in handy, and certainly widens the engine search area.

It's tempting, but if Scuz does buy that Roadmaster, it'd probably be easier all around, since depending on what he needs from the car, I can harvest some of the other parts needed as well.
Radiator, hoses, bell housing, etc.

Plus, it just seems right for one car to be sacrificed so the truck may come back from the dead. Ancient rituals and whatnot. :getin:

Speaking of which, if you're still semi-serious about buying that Scuz, shoot me an email. explodingsims2@gmail.com

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
E-mail sent! The Roadmaster is useless to me besides being my foot in the door to this crazy plan. I love crazy plans.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
A double-post to ask a question to you all: Before I tow a loving whale home to yank out its guts, what're the odds that the following will fit in the back of a two door VW Golf:
  • SBC w/accessories
  • Bellhousing
  • Radiator and hoses
  • Flywheel
:ohdear: The suspension on the Golf is brand new as of last year, and I put heavy-duty springs in the back which raised the thing by about 1.5".

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Build a cradle for the engine and strap it to the hood like a gutted deer. :black101:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I did just get a welder...

So the engine and all the accessories will weigh somewhere around 600 pounds, right? Bellhousing, flywheel, and rad I'm gonna guesstimate are gonna add another hundred, and according to Edmunds, the maximum payload of my chariot is 899 pounds when properly equipped, whatever the gently caress that means. The engine + all that other stuff + me = 900 pounds unless my guesstimates are off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Well I guess there's one way to find out isn't there?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

88h88 posted:

Gather a couple fat friends and cram them in the back for a joyride?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

Faerunner posted:

Gather a couple fat friends and cram them in the back for a joyride?

Friend of mine has a home gym and I'm hoping he has somewhere around 700 pounds-worth of weights in there. The most I've had in the back so far are two full bass guitar stacks with amplifiers which weighed in a grand total of ~500 pounds (not including me) without breaking a sweat, really. I could chuck the whole mess into the back of my band's 460-equipped Econoline, but the operating costs on that would be something like $20/hour because of its poor MPG.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That Roadmaster has a completely different transmission (700R4 or 4L60e I think?) than the 1951 truck - and not only that it's auto vs manual. I'm not sure why the bellhousing is on the list?

Regardless, it will fit if you don't care about your interior or suspension, for sure. Getting it in while it's hanging from an engine crane may not work out well due to the extra height.

I do think an LT1 1951 truck would be awesome, just saying that the transmission stuff from the donor is probably irrelevant here. It also has a flexplate and a torque converter, not a flywheel.

e: depending on your plans, you should grab the entirety of the wiring harness in the engine compartment, plus dash wiring and the fuel system and stuff as well. It's pretty light and if you want to keep the LT1 EFI, it will help a lot. If you're going to just strap a carb on clearly there's no point in doing this, though, and that's not really anything I'm going to argue over seeing as it's ancient dumb EFI and the truck was carbed in the first place anyways.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 1, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

That Roadmaster has a completely different transmission (700R4 or 4L60e I think?) than the 1951 truck - and not only that it's auto vs manual. I'm not sure why the bellhousing is on the list?

Regardless, it will fit if you don't care about your interior or suspension, for sure. Getting it in while it's hanging from an engine crane may not work out well due to the extra height.

I do think an LT1 1951 truck would be awesome, just saying that the transmission stuff from the donor is probably irrelevant here. It also has a flexplate and a torque converter, not a flywheel.
Back the Golf up on ramps, blammo. And no, I don't really care about the interior, and I can replace the rear suspension for something like ~$75 if anything goes wrong (what could go wrong?). As for the bellhousing/flywheel nonsense, I was just following orders without putting two and two together and I don't think I ever told Sims about the Roadmaster being an automatic. :doh: Let's fix that:

Hey Sims, the Roadmaster's an automatic so the transmission components won't work; Ken just said so :buddy: I imagine you still want the engine, though.

Edit: buddy's home gym has ~700 pounds of weights, so test run is a go!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

haha, it happens.

The issue is that the crane, chain hanging from it, and engine all together add up to more height than may fit in your car. As in, if the oil pan clears the floor, you may have to saw a hole in the roof so the crane and chain will go far enough forward to get the engine over the floor instead of just butting uselessly against the hatch gasket.

This is where the "three or four strong dudes, a case of beer, and some hernias" method of loading becomes your best option. Unless you just lean a couple 2x12s on the tailgate and push/pull/slide/lift-slide it up them with a few people helping, that might work.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Loading it in will be something of a fabricobble (thanks for that word, btw) adventure since the only strong dude I know is TheFonz and my back sucks at the moment. What I'm most worried about is what to do with the rest of the loving car after I've robbed it of its treasures. I could just drop it off at a junkyard or leave it by the side of the road since there's no title, but that's rude.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I stole that one from AvE, don't thank me :v:

Part it out. Roadmasters aren't exactly common in the rustbelt anymore. If the front and rear interior door cards aren't hosed (they're brittle old plastic) I might be interested in all 4 for my GF's roadmaster, hers are beyond repair. Not sure how much it'd cost to ship them or whether 94-96 door cards will fit a 91-93, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

scuz what year is your golf?

• Locked thread