Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bunch of new Suicide Squad posters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

PriorMarcus posted:

Captain Marvel front runner is Brie Larson.

Ok. Yes. You have my full attention now Marvel.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That white mask looks so weird against the red/black costume but google says that's actually pretty faithful to the comics look.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

teagone posted:

Ok. Yes. You have my full attention now Marvel.

I haven't actually seen her in anything. She has rave reviews for Room (and it is on my to do list eventually), but is there anything else I should check out her in?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I haven't actually seen her in anything. She has rave reviews for Room (and it is on my to do list eventually), but is there anything else I should check out her in?

United States of Tara.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

That white mask looks so weird against the red/black costume but google says that's actually pretty faithful to the comics look.
It reads as more metallic in the comics usually, and there are metallic accents around the costume.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timeless Appeal posted:

It reads as more metallic in the comics usually, and there are metallic accents around the costume.

Here it looks like athletic gear.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In Deadshot's front view that stitch line going across his face looks like one of those .gifs where they crop out just the persons nose

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 2, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ok, this one is pretty cool

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Here it looks like athletic gear.
Yeah, which I don't think really works. Beyond the mouth part looking like a cup.

This is probably the most iconic image of Deadshot, and it's clear why it's hard to translate. His mask is simultaneously so form fitting that it shows off his brow while also having a bit of a metallic gleam to it. It's really something that only works as a cartoon.

The 3/4 shot posted earlier looks good and evokes the calm menace of the comics costume, but it often just looks clunky. I think it is smart to make his other eye exposed. They saw that despite being covered, Deadpool's other eye is actually important to the mask.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 2, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mad Men and Breaking Bad started the trend of prestige television and lots of Hollywood actors are jumping at the chance to star in them. Unfortunately, I don't think any show has had that same phenomenon status that those two did.

edit: Beaten

I think you could argue more strongly for the stuff HBO churned out, like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under and The Wire, Oz, Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm and True Blood being the real catalysts of "prestige television". That is unless you're only talking about non subscription cable.

Even then, I'd argue that shows like NYPD Blue, LA Law, Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere and even the Wonder Years carved out early claims to that mantle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, which I don't think really works. Beyond the mouth part looking like a cup.

I'm glad you said it - it looks like a dirty jock. A lot of costuming for these movies is necessarily textured because that smooth spandex look simply doesn't look right in real life. So what do they do to remind you that he is a villain of some description? Make him look like Underarmor Jason Vorhees. Everything about the design for this movie is really good, if a bit over the top, like the fact that Joker wears no shoes, Harley's daddy issue tats or Croc wearing one of those all the way hoodies.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would believe that spandex wouldn't work if I hadn't already seen Batman: Dead End or any comics illustrated by Alex Ross. The added texturing is unnecessary. Despite being a fan film, that costume looks loving fantastic.

People have always liked the spandex look. It's what we come to expect. Changing it is often arbitrary.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 2, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would believe that spandex wouldn't work if I hadn't already seen Batman: Dead End or any comics illustrated by Alex Ross. The added texturing is unnecessary. Despite being a fan film, that costume looks loving fantastic.

Well, considering that Ayer is going for something more garish than modern day shadowpuppets, I'd say his decision was the correct one. The Dead End costume looks so "good" that you basically have to use every trick in the book to obscure it. These characters are meant to be loud.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Haha, yeah. Nice Halloween costume, jackass.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That seam is TACTICAL

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Please tell me there is a story about the Suicide Squad being sent to kill Carmen Sandiego.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I agree, that was a great shot of an awesome costume. I might have made the belt have some dark yellowish brown on it

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That's my favourite live action Batman costume. No rubber body armour, no plates everywhere, just a fuckin' ripped dude in a skin tight onesie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

If someone as bulky as Affleck wore it and it had the huge fake pecs/abs that the BvS suit had, it would be fine. The Snyder and Nolan suits look stupid in full lighting too, the Snyder suit is basically that design with roofing paper glued on.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Electromax posted:

If someone as bulky as Affleck wore it

I love that people genuinely think this is how spandex works.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

I love that people genuinely think this is how spandex works.

That it stretches wider when wider arms/thighs/torso are in it?

If you mean not contouring to muscles, that was the fake muscles part.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Electromax posted:

If someone as bulky as Affleck wore it and it had the huge fake pecs/abs that the BvS suit had, it would be fine. The Snyder and Nolan suits look stupid in full lighting too, the Snyder suit is basically that design with roofing paper glued on.

No, dude. Spandex smooths and would make Kai Greene look like Slim Goodbody. Better to have the basketball texture than to have these guys up on screen looking like pro wrestlers. The issue is not it looking stupid in full lighting, Dark Knight Rises is partly making fun of how stupid Batman looks in daylight. The issue is making something you can shoot in proper lighting without needing to totally obscure it by having a spotlight follow Batman around like an Ibsen play.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 2, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's how bad Spandex is at showing how buff a dude is.

This is Arnold back in his Built Like Five Men days. You would not know it looking at this image, and this isn't even straight spandex either.

Hell, look to Power Rangers for what Spandex does to the human body- Austin St John was built like a loving truck and he looked slim as hell.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Isn't that also the reason Routh looked pretty slim in Superman Returns?

Also, more promotional artwork for SS merch

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/738198298406715392
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/738197767395246081
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/738196627840585729
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/738197519797084161
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/738004634237698048

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I thought spandex was the under armor stuff:

Thus imagining this:

...Which is what that Batman costume looked like to me, just with a more lanky guy in it. Must be some other material.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not saying it's a lie, but about 2 days before Chris Evans was officially announced for Captain America everyone was pretty sure it was going to be John Krasinski. Of course that might be a remenent of Ike Perlman and negotiating salary via casting rumors.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Thor 3 will incorporate aspects of the "Planet Hulk" comic arc; including Jeff Goldblum hosting a Gladiatorial fight to the death between Hulk and cosmic beings.

Also, Hulk will wear something other than Purple Pants for the first time ever in the MCU.

http://www.avclub.com/article/hulk-might-be-wearing-more-stretchy-pants-thor-rag-237567

The report also says that Hemsworth is getting his head partially shaved during the movie. RIP those beautiful golden curls.

This is a really good move from Marvel; they know fans want to see the Planet Hulk story, but they also know Hulk just doesn't make for a very good solo outing. He's an enhancing-the-ensemble kind of character.

MCU is the place where dreams come true :allears:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

berserker posted:

This is a really good move from Marvel; they know fans want to see the Planet Hulk story, but they also know Hulk just doesn't make for a very good solo outing. He's an enhancing-the-ensemble kind of character.

MCU is the place where dreams come true :allears:

They'll have the bit where Silver Surfer shows up during Planet Hulk, except it will be Thor and he'll bring Hulk with him, instead of the rest of Planet Hulk happening. (In the cartoon version Beta Ray Bill filled in for Silver Surfer, I think because of movie rights involving the Fantastic Four).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I'm glad you said it - it looks like a dirty jock. A lot of costuming for these movies is necessarily textured because that smooth spandex look simply doesn't look right in real life. So what do they do to remind you that he is a villain of some description? Make him look like Underarmor Jason Vorhees. Everything about the design for this movie is really good, if a bit over the top, like the fact that Joker wears no shoes, Harley's daddy issue tats or Croc wearing one of those all the way hoodies.

Croc's hoodie is so good

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

I love her, she's great, (I have a Short Term 12 poster on my wall) but I dunno if I want to see her in a superhero movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
At this point it really feels like WB are desperately flooding social media with as many different Suicide Squad posters and merch designs in the hope that something, anything sticks.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Short Term 12 is straight-up trash, too toxic to send to the recycling center, but not because of Brie Larson's performance, and Room is good, and her in it, so she'd probably make a good addition.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

At this point it really feels like WB are desperately flooding social media with as many different Suicide Squad posters and merch designs in the hope that something, anything sticks.

Not really, only the posters have been oficiallt released. The rest is just the guy running that twitter account looking all over the net for new stuff to post.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Bunch of new Suicide Squad posters

Love we're finally getting goofy rear end poo poo comic book movies.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Skwirl posted:

They'll have the bit where Silver Surfer shows up during Planet Hulk, except it will be Thor and he'll bring Hulk with him, instead of the rest of Planet Hulk happening. (In the cartoon version Beta Ray Bill filled in for Silver Surfer, I think because of movie rights involving the Fantastic Four).

I would poo poo my pants with joy if Beta Ray Bill made an appearance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Isn't that also the reason Routh looked pretty slim in Superman Returns?

Yep. Routh was built like a brick shithouse but his suit was made with wetsuit material, so his muscle mass looked to be like half what it actually was.

I generally like Singer's superhero movies but his costume choices suck out loud.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

berserker posted:

I would poo poo my pants with joy if Beta Ray Bill made an appearance.

Oh, I don't think that's going to happen, I was just pointing out a previous time a Thor character popped up in a Planet Hulk adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Electromax posted:

I thought spandex was the under armor stuff:

Thus imagining this:

...Which is what that Batman costume looked like to me, just with a more lanky guy in it. Must be some other material.

This is actually a fair point, something like that could look pretty rad.

• Locked thread