Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

fadam posted:

Okay, and unless they add heroes that literally have a moveable 2k shield, a res, and a speed boost, I don't see Reinhardt, Mercy or Lucio going anywhere. They all bring very specific utility pieces that are mandatory on most maps. Widowmaker's the same way.

I guess at the end of the day I'm fine if they adjust Widowmaker, I just hope they go about it in the right way for the right reasons. Blizzard had a bad habit of completely neutering heroes to unplayable status in HotS because people would catch feel bads and bitch constantly instead of learning their matchups. There are already a ton of bad, unplayable heroes in this game and I'd hate to see Widowmaker become another.

You keep saying there are a ton of bad unplayable heroes in the game, but outside of D.Va who anyone reasonable will agree on that, please list the ones who are unplayable for reasons other than Widowmaker and McCree being way too strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

chumbler posted:

You keep saying there are a ton of bad unplayable heroes in the game, but outside of D.Va who anyone reasonable will agree on that, please list the ones who are unplayable for reasons other than Widowmaker and McCree being way too strong.

Mei can only deal with single targets and unlike every other flanker/picker doesn't have the mobility or the raw damage to compete with other Assault classes, Torbjorn and Bastion falls apart in the face of co-ordinated teams, Zenyatta has no mobility and crumples like wet paper, Symmetra is only good in very specific circumstances and Roadhog has no survivability aside from a straight up large chunk of health so he exists to fuel other ultimates.

Of the bottom three competitively played heroes only Hanzo sits there as a result of a specific problem class, being just a worse Widowmaker.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also to go back to ~thematics~ Widowmaker's ult doesn't really fit in with the rest of her kit at all. She's a high damage-throughput picker so loading that much utility on a character who's job is to specifically click heads is way too much.

Like imagine the opposite where Reinhardt's ult just blew up anyone it hit in big explosive showers of viscera. It wouldn't make any sense.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 7, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

if you can get up in a Widow's face you can wreck her poo poo as a tracer and she can't really escape but that's a big ol "if"

Which would mean that she needs to not see you approach her. If she does see you approach her, then she needs to miss for every 1.4 seconds you are in LoS as you approach. Then she needs to miss again for every 1.4 seconds that you are trying to kill her. Then she needs to not have vertical space to play with, because one of these two can ascend vertical space on demand and another can't.

So I guess if the Widowmaker can't bodyshot a target once, has no awareness, and can't position very well, she is a counter to Tracer.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

if you can get up in a Widow's face you can wreck her poo poo as a tracer and she can't really escape but that's a big ol "if"

I can almost guarantee you that if they add a third healbot and a frontline tank they'll see as much play as Mercy/Lucio/Rein. Their abilities are powerful but they're only chosen because they're the only game in town. I doubt adding another sniper would do much because no matter what they do with them they'll just be "Widowmaker, but with either less damage or utility". There's a ton of design space for new supports and tanks but Widowmaker is already Peak Sniper.

This makes no sense.

If they add a front line tank and he's just a lovely version of Reinhardt (like how Hanzo is a lovely version of Widow) then he won't get picked. Just like how Hanzo doesn't get picked. If Hanzo was as good at getting long range picks as Widow, I could see teams choosing him for the Dragon on certain maps like Hollywood 3 and Route 66 3.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lady Naga posted:

Also to go back to ~thematics~ Widowmaker's ult doesn't really fit in with the rest of her kit at all. She's a high damage-throughput picker so loading that much utility on a specific character who's job is to click heads is way too much.

Agreed, give her AoE explosive bullets as her ult.

The issue with OW balance right now is what people have mentioned time and time again: if you nerf McCree, then all of a sudden Tracer runs wild, and I think you'd need to MURDER Tracer to not make her the optimal pick. Widow will always have her place, and buffing Hanzo to get him on her level is dangerous for pub play. Lúcio is another one of those characters where toning him down could possibly end him, and you can't gently caress with the Pure Healer.

To be fair I don't care that much about balance in this compared to a 1v1 competitive game anyway. While in a fighting game you already feel the Top Tier Effect in intermediate-level play, I think a team objective-based shooter gives you a lot more leeway to get work done with non-optimal picks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brannock posted:

Crossfade toggle feels like utter poo poo to use. It doesn't work at all like Soldier's sprint toggle. Half the time I use it I have to make a second action to actually switch back to healing aura once I let go of Shift, otherwise it stays on speed aura permanently.

You don't need to bind a second action. Lucio has a hero specific "Hold to crossfade" option to make his speed boost work like S76's sprint, i.e., the toggle always favors healing mode, and you have to press and hold down shift in order to speed boost. Once you let you go of shift, it switches back to healing automatically. I personally prefer the toggle so I don't have to focus on holding down shift to make sick wall runs, but also because I'm used to it. There's a bunch of other hero specific options you can choose from too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCygSHeoe7Q&t=12s

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dias posted:

I mean, Widow could really be 150 and have a slower fire rate. I don't think that would destroy her, but it would make her more fragile and make full charged bodyshots less derpy.

idk if letting widow die in one bodyshot to another widow is really necessary. she doesn't really need less health imo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk if letting widow die in one bodyshot to another widow is really necessary. she doesn't really need less health imo

yeah the game doesnt need more one-shots

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > A Blizzard Subforum > Overwatch: Super aggressive and expensive microtransactions

:laffo:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

yeah the game doesnt need more one-shots

It would make splash damage more of a threat to her, and maybe Winston??? Widow already takes down Widow as it is anyway.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Make direct hit rockets do 200 damage so Pharah can obliterate her if she gets complacent.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Which would mean that she needs to not see you approach her. If she does see you approach her, then she needs to miss for every 1.4 seconds you are in LoS as you approach. Then she needs to miss again for every 1.4 seconds that you are trying to kill her. Then she needs to not have vertical space to play with, because one of these two can ascend vertical space on demand and another can't.

So I guess if the Widowmaker can't bodyshot a target once, has no awareness, and can't position very well, she is a counter to Tracer.

That's exactly what I said? Sometimes I think people like to pick fights for the sake of it.

fadam posted:

This makes no sense.

If they add a front line tank and he's just a lovely version of Reinhardt (like how Hanzo is a lovely version of Widow) then he won't get picked. Just like how Hanzo doesn't get picked. If Hanzo was as good at getting long range picks as Widow, I could see teams choosing him for the Dragon on certain maps like Hollywood 3 and Route 66 3.
Yes, I agree that if you make a frontline tank that exists in the same design space as Reinhardt he won't get played. Luckily, that's not what I was saying.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lady Naga posted:

She's either an American trying really hard to sound French or an actual French person playing up the accent to a ridiculous degree. Her actual lines are fine but she sounds like a cartoon.

a cartoon character sounding like a cartoon? :aaa:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Broken Cog posted:

Why is Tracer considered to be a counter to Widow? She can oneshot Tracer with a bodyshot, and a lot of the time she perches herself on some platform Tracer can't even reach.

I guess it's because of people coming from TF2 where the fast guy murders the slow sniper. They're unable to parse that Widowmaker has vertical movement.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lady Naga posted:

Yes, I agree that if you make a frontline tank that exists in the same design space as Reinhardt he won't get played. Luckily, that's not what I was saying.

AFAIK, Zarya and Winston see some comp play. Winston actually sees a LOT of comp play, since he's more of a disruptor.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lastgirl posted:

a cartoon character sounding like a cartoon? :aaa:
This discussion is like three days old and wasn't even that big of a deal to begin with.

Dias posted:

AFAIK, Zarya and Winston see some comp play. Winston actually sees a LOT of comp play, since he's more of a disruptor.

Neither Zarya nor Winston are really "front line tanks", at least not in the same way Reinhardt is. Zarya is specifically meant to be played in the back/mid line and Winston is meant to zip from the backline to the objective and back.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

teagone posted:

You don't need to bind a second action. Lucio has a hero specific "Hold to crossfade" option to make his speed boost work like S76's sprint, i.e., the toggle always favors healing mode, and you have to press and hold down shift in order to speed boost. Once you let you go of shift, it switches back to healing automatically. I personally prefer the toggle so I don't have to focus on holding down shift to make sick wall runs, but also because I'm used to it. There's a bunch of other hero specific options you can choose from too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCygSHeoe7Q&t=12s

I think he was saying that the option is poo poo because it's super buggy. At least that's my experience. Half the time I have to hit shift a couple times to get it to recognize that I've released shift and it should be switching back to heal mode now, thanks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Papercut posted:

I think he was saying that the option is poo poo because it's super buggy. At least that's my experience. Half the time I have to hit shift a couple times to get it to recognize that I've released shift and it should be switching back to heal mode now, thanks.

Oh i see. I played a few games with "Hold to crossfade" on and I thought it replicated a sprint button pretty well but it just felt odd since I was already so used to it being a toggle. I've never really had any issues with the toggle though, save for when I just started playing and always forgot to switch it back to healing heh. I also first thought you had to shoot your teammates to heal them after toggling the crossfade when I got into my first beta :downs:

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 7, 2016

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

I got this cool end game victory screen where Mei and Torbjorn look like they're both leaning on the sentry.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ahhpple posted:

Lucio's gameplay isn't fun. It's boring. His gun has terrible gunfeel. There's barely any decision making to be had with his auras. Wallriding isn't an especially engaging movement ability. Sound barrier is dead simple to use. He just runs back and forth spamming his lovely projectiles at a choke or shield and hits his ult and boost when its time to fight. However he really helps your team win the game, so if you find winning fun then pick him.

All of you complaining about how boring Lucio is forget to mention how incredibly satisfying it is to blast someone off the map and into the void.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lady Naga posted:

Neither Zarya nor Winston are really "front line tanks", at least not in the same way Reinhardt is. Zarya is specifically meant to be played in the back/mid line and Winston is meant to zip from the backline to the objective and back.

Rein is the more extreme version, but Zarya kinda pushes forward too and Winston can set up a frontline bubble while harassing. My point is more that Rein doesn't make them superfluous like the other two characters we were discussing. Of course, in a scenario where they make a shittier Reinhardt then welp.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mcbexx posted:

All of you complaining about how boring Lucio is forget to mention how incredibly satisfying it is to blast someone off the map and into the void.

I just wish it affected projectiles. My years of pyro training have been a waste

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Make it so that lucio's gun does zero damage but applies a debuff: heavy tinnitus, where the player cannot hear footsteps nor ult callouts.

Dias posted:

Rein is the more extreme version, but Zarya kinda pushes forward too and Winston can set up a frontline bubble while harassing. My point is more that Rein doesn't make them superfluous like the other two characters we were discussing. Of course, in a scenario where they make a shittier Reinhardt then welp.

Superfluous no, but the problem is that they're specifically relegated to the role of "offtank", which means "play these but only with a Rein, not instead of".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

Make it so that lucio's gun does zero damage but applies a debuff: heavy tinnitus, where the player cannot hear footsteps nor ult callouts.

Lmao, that would be amazing. More so if it's like a loud dubstep track that replaces all audio on the enemy player.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Make it so when Widow kills someone with a body shot she has to put the sorry spray up within 3 seconds or she dies, gets banned, and the player's car breaks down.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm jokin' around but really I hope that they play around a little more with buffs/debuffs in upcoming heroes, provided they don't go overboard. I think maybe one or two more characters that do either would be good.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Just make a hero that does nothing but fly around and kamikaze kills a single target so we can finally be rid of these widow and mccree complaints once and for all

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I for one am looking forward to Widowmaker getting an irrelevant nerf like a mag size reduction or minimum charge percentage.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Just make a hero that does nothing but fly around and kamikaze kills a single target so we can finally be rid of these widow and mccree complaints once and for all

hey, it's my Pharah strategy

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got to live the dream as Zarya, along with some goons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ-cXyP_2-o

It's beautiful

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I love killcams where you whipped around and started shooting at someone but according to their perspective you turned halfway and then started shooting at a wall like a confused idiot.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Some Widow who totally ate my lunch credited "that youtube headshot video" and that's so impossibly vague. Anyone know what they're talking about?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I snuck up on a Widowmaker as a Bastion and killed her in sentry mode. She's balanced.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lady Naga posted:

This discussion is like three days old and wasn't even that big of a deal to begin with.

hey its all good, i was just posting that cos it makes me laugh when its put like that~ :h:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sanctum posted:

I love killcams where you whipped around and started shooting at someone but according to their perspective you turned halfway and then started shooting at a wall like a confused idiot.

Good I'm not crazy and other people get those, too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

Good I'm not crazy and other people get those, too.

Gotta love that ping + netcode + tick rate

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Some people -really- don't like the leaver penalty.

"Lol, the down voters are the actual problem with the game. Entitled new generation !@#$s that value their own experience over that of other peoples. I guarantee you everyone that downvotes the idea of freedom to leave a game that isnt fun, ya know fun right? That thing games are supposed to be? Anyway, guaranteed the downvotes are from people who literally have no interest in whether or not im having fun.

Sorry but if you think people should stick around when they arent having fun so YOUR experience isnt ruined. You need to find a single player game and stay there, cause someone was not raised to play nice with others.

http://www.parentfurther.com.php53-8.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/blog/playing-well-with-others
Hell even I could learn a few things from that URL. ^.^"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Verranicus posted:

Some people -really- don't like the leaver penalty.

"Lol, the down voters are the actual problem with the game. Entitled new generation !@#$s that value their own experience over that of other peoples. I guarantee you everyone that downvotes the idea of freedom to leave a game that isnt fun, ya know fun right? That thing games are supposed to be? Anyway, guaranteed the downvotes are from people who literally have no interest in whether or not im having fun.

Sorry but if you think people should stick around when they arent having fun so YOUR experience isnt ruined. You need to find a single player game and stay there, cause someone was not raised to play nice with others.

http://www.parentfurther.com.php53-8.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/blog/playing-well-with-others
Hell even I could learn a few things from that URL. ^.^"

This is an issue where there's no common ground where everyone would be happy, so it's a matter of picking the lesser of two evils. Having somebody or everyone on a team leave and ruin the experience for everyone else isn't preferable to forcing those same people to suck it up and take one for the team so at least somebody else is enjoying themselves. It's less an empathetic approach and more just picking the optimal method in terms of making the most amount of people happy.