Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

I got to play a bit more, it's bad.
It's worse in every way
I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Jw7Kx80f4

:five: :laffo:

Holy poo poo that guy trying to get out of his ship. Oh man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Heartwarming comments like this make it all worthwhile

You're winning hearts and minds.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

DogonCrook posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/283160/

done it appears to be a hit too, early access reviews give it pretty high praise

It's not star wars. :colbert:

But that may be an itch scratcher... Thanks for the recommendo.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
If you're investigating 'paid shills' I hope you'll take my experience into account.

I get offered money to cover games all the time, thousands of dollars to make videos about games which can be anything from crap F2P-P2W mobile games to AAA blockbusters. I'm the top of the list when it comes to space games.

I never accept any of these offers, although I will accept a key, like the steam code for LoD you gave me.

CIG have never offered me anything other than a press account stocked with free ships and I had to ask James Pugh for that. I'm sure this is because there's a whole army of fans who are so 'invested' that they're happy to do it for free.

So I don't see 'paid shills' in the traditional sense, CIG aren't paying anyone to support the game, at best some are getting free ships for their devotion.

I can't speak for the rest of their operation but they're a lot less aggressive in their paid social media influencer drive compared to many other games.

D_Smart posted:

Next thing you know, ABH, the most obvious shill (it's a CIG account btw), gets a probation to throw us off.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/741048487765282818

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Heartwarming comments like this make it all worthwhile

I came to post that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Streetroller posted:

I think Derek is definitely motivated by hatred,

It's clear that, you sir, know nothing about me.

For record, and to dispel that "hatred" you speak of, this is how I got involved. No opinion. No hyperbole. Just pure facts. You may want to read it. All of it.

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/gen/#post-3347

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Guys are there any mysteries left?

Moma's here to derail if anything meaningful comes up.

SQ42 isn't coming out this year.

etc etc

is there anything left that we aren't sure about? Serious question. I feel like I've been consumed by my anger and lost my mystery solving way.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

illectro posted:

If you're investigating 'paid shills' I hope you'll take my experience into account.

I get offered money to cover games all the time, thousands of dollars to make videos about games which can be anything from crap F2P-P2W mobile games to AAA blockbusters. I'm the top of the list when it comes to space games.

I never accept any of these offers, although I will accept a key, like the steam code for LoD you gave me.

CIG have never offered me anything other than a press account stocked with free ships and I had to ask James Pugh for that. I'm sure this is because there's a whole army of fans who are so 'invested' that they're happy to do it for free.

So I don't see 'paid shills' in the traditional sense, CIG aren't paying anyone to support the game, at best some are getting free ships for their devotion.

I can't speak for the rest of their operation but they're a lot less aggressive in their paid social media influencer drive compared to many other games.

I'm 100% convinced that the founder of INN was contracted by CIG. Dolvak, Erris, the other clown maybe not anything but a few ships here and there - but the founder is fishy as hell.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Hey Streetroller consider this, for all those thousands you "pledged" to Chris Roberts, how many times has to replied to one of your forums posts?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Hello thread

I happened to log in to Kickstarter today to harass the maker of a DIFFERENT Kickstarter that has apparently fallen off the face of the earth to never deliver anything (Polyhedral Artisan Dice), and, to my surprise, I apparently did this:

I have absolutely no memory of this whatsoever. However, after a few moments of 'what the gently caress was I thinking', I realized that, since I have no memory of this and know for a god drat fact I have had no real interaction with the project since it concluded, I'm in a rather weird situation. All of these weird ToS changes would not apply to me, as I've never used their lovely website to accept them.

I have no idea what the ramifications of that would be. For my part I'm generally content to continue to ignore this though a refund would be pretty ballin' of course. I'm not in a spot where 60 bucks is the difference between making rent and not, though, so if this situation can be leveraged to cause more than 60 bucks worth of havoc, please detail how so I can cause said havoc.

Thanks and dog bless

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Danknificent posted:

Guys are there any mysteries left?

Moma's here to derail if anything meaningful comes up.

SQ42 isn't coming out this year.

etc etc

is there anything left that we aren't sure about? Serious question. I feel like I've been consumed by my anger and lost my mystery solving way.

We don't know exactly when the Roberts will flee to the Maldives. And MoMA seems to have given up on derailing since it never really works.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

peter gabriel posted:

I got to play a bit more, it's bad.
It's worse in every way
I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Jw7Kx80f4

I'm surprised at the ratio of likes to dislikes. Do you find that there's a trend of less shitizen downvoting of your videos as time goes on?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Coolguye posted:

Hello thread

I happened to log in to Kickstarter today to harass the maker of a DIFFERENT Kickstarter that has apparently fallen off the face of the earth to never deliver anything (Polyhedral Artisan Dice), and, to my surprise, I apparently did this:

I have absolutely no memory of this whatsoever. However, after a few moments of 'what the gently caress was I thinking', I realized that, since I have no memory of this and know for a god drat fact I have had no real interaction with the project since it concluded, I'm in a rather weird situation. All of these weird ToS changes would not apply to me, as I've never used their lovely website to accept them.

I have no idea what the ramifications of that would be. For my part I'm generally content to continue to ignore this though a refund would be pretty ballin' of course. I'm not in a spot where 60 bucks is the difference between making rent and not, though, so if this situation can be leveraged to cause more than 60 bucks worth of havoc, please detail how so I can cause said havoc.

Thanks and dog bless

You have no memory of what? Confirming that you received the pledge package? Can you explain two things:

1. What would trigger this "I got it" thing to be checked?
2. How likely is it you forgot because you sniff glue or similar?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

:five: :laffo:

Holy poo poo that guy trying to get out of his ship. Oh man.

Persistence - it's in

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Toops posted:

You have no memory of what? Confirming that you received the pledge package? Can you explain two things:

1. What would trigger this "I got it" thing to be checked?
2. How likely is it you forgot because you sniff glue or similar?

Sorry: to be clear, I have no memory of making the pledge in the first place.

The 'got it' thing is actually not checked, it fills in all blue when I click it. Comparison, Defense Grid 2:

e: i however plead the 5th on the glue sniffing part

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 12, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Breetai posted:

I'm surprised at the ratio of likes to dislikes. Do you find that there's a trend of less shitizen downvoting of your videos as time goes on?

Yes, in a massive way as well.
I used to get loads of poo poo, loads of downvotes but now it really has changed. It takes a while to get any downvotes of note at all now, and they usually come in a big blob (that's when I know derek has linked it ha ha) when they do come, if at all.
It's been really interesting watching this happen, but the change is very real

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Coolguye posted:

Sorry: to be clear, I have no memory of making the pledge in the first place.

The 'got it' thing is actually not checked, it fills in all blue when I click it. Comparison, Defense Grid 2:

e: i however plead the 5th on the glue sniffing part

So you're asking us why you don't remember pledging $60 for a Space Scam?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sure why not

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

DogonCrook posted:

Be careful filling out the form or viewing it you'll agree to California's terms of service and will no longer be a sovereign citizen. I have a cert from moma's paralegal studies emporium i know these things.

poo poo. My sister lives in California and I spoke to her on the phone tonight. Does that mean I've accepted the new ToS?

Oh I forgot. I never backed the game in the first place.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Coolguye posted:

sure why not

I think it's interesting because you aren't bound to any ToS, if you want a refund ask them, tell them that and report back, it could be really interesting to see what they say

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Coolguye posted:

sure why not

There are only 3 possible scenarios:

1. You forgot
2. You forgot because of drugs
3. Somebody hacked into your kickstarter account and pledged for a 60 dollar Star Citizen package.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

1 and 2 are equally likely

3 somewhat less so

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

1 and 2 are equally likely

3 somewhat less so

Consider 2 & 3, drugged by a CIG shill in a bar. Stranger things have happened during game development.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You know, I guess I should thank Chris Roberts.

Every patch he adds to his game makes the money I spent on MWO look smarter and smarter

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

TTerrible posted:

I'm 100% convinced that the founder of INN was contracted by CIG. Dolvak, Erris, the other clown maybe not anything but a few ships here and there - but the founder is fishy as hell.

Sure, I suspect there are people who feel that getting a $250 spaceship from CIG is in the same level as getting $250 in cash. The value perception of Internet spaceships is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Tippis posted:

We don't know exactly when the Roberts will flee to the Maldives. And MoMA seems to have given up on derailing since it never really works.

Only a lawyer or an insider can know how much trouble Chris actually stands to be in, and when it would become an issue.

But Moma has by no means given up; he's still here, and he can still count on people in this thread to engage and fixate on him whenever he shows up. It's possible he's getting a little lazy, though. I expected better from him during artgate.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

illectro posted:

Sure, I suspect there are people who feel that getting a $250 spaceship from CIG is in the same level as getting $250 in cash. The value perception of Internet spaceships is very much in the eye of the beholder.
So if it were me I'd feel like they gave me £0 and a kick in the bollocks

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

illectro posted:

First of all it's drat good to have input from a YouTuber with integrity and a sense of fair play!

There are two things that are persuading me of there being actual, traditional paid shills:

1 - The INN "fan" site has in the past been disingenuous in its representations of CIG's videos, Q&As and interviews and has on more than one occasion blatantly misrepresented what CIG staff have said in their transcripts. I know this and was blown away by it because I painstakingly documented it, every word of it. The guy who set up the INN site owns a digital PR company. That site has been the source of all of the fantastical theory-crafting and imaginary mechanics pasted in forums for years now.

2 - I saw with my own eyes just this week 13 accounts created on MMORPG all in the space of 20 minutes, befriending each other, and then immediately one goes on the rampage against a poster criticising Star Citizen, accusing them of being Derek Smart.

Can I put my hand on my heart and say that these are all paid shills? No, of course not, but that's what it looks like to me. A PR company misrepresenting, misquoting and conveniently leaving out unsavoury bits of text from CIGs output and calling it a "transcript", and a multitude of forum accounts appearing in the middle of any Star Citizen thread you care to look at, all using the same terminology, quoting the same nonsense phrases about how positively this project is moving forward and making statements over and over again that there is a campaign of hate against this project led by Derek Smart.

But the one thing I've seen that really threatens to 100% convince me of actual paid shilling, was in the SC thread on the Frontier forums. Every time the conversation moved away from the game and onto the company, that is the exact moment when posters would jump in, brand new accounts, and try to push the conversation back onto the game - it is as obvious and as black and white as that.

And that's exactly what brand management do, that is what you pay them for. Talk about the product, not the company, steer the conversation away from the controversies.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Imagine making someone a video and they gave you an Auroroora or whatever it's called :lol:
You'd be fuckin pissed

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The main thing to remember about the IIN guys is that no matter if they are paid shills, or they just get free spaceships, they are idiots and should be shunned from society

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Every patch he adds to his game makes the money I spent on MWO look smarter and smarter

HAHAHA

I know what you mean. I also put money into that abortion of a game.

Put Chris Robert and Russ Bullock into a bag and hit it with a big stick. You always hit the right one.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
OK guys, we've got one job to do, to type out and transcribe the waffle on these CIG vids, so I suppose we should just paraphrase them and / or make stuff up? OK, let's roll

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Yes, you get a piece of the lifeboat... in your hands, to keep while C&S laugh at you.

More likely you get a JPEG of a piece of the lifeboat

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Not been able to play at all since the update so far

Decompile shows-

if (account) = pgabz then CRASH
else load VERSE

-they are onto you!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

TTerrible posted:

There are three kinds of shills in this verse.

1. CIG employees/interns

2. True believers doing it for free

3. Pro marketers, like the INN guy

There are no people getting pulled off the street/internet to shill. The paid shills that we've been encountering are unlucky CIG people, Sandi, and relatively inept reputation management types.

Paid and unpaid shilling is on a downturn. CIG has less money to pay with, and fewer believers to do it on the house. This downward shilling trend will continue.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

D_Smart posted:

It's clear that, you sir, know nothing about me.

For record, and to dispel that "hatred" you speak of, this is how I got involved. No opinion. No hyperbole. Just pure facts. You may want to read it. All of it.

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/gen/#post-3347

Yeah, I've read it. Believe it or not we've spoken in person before, though I doubt you'd remember.
I feel you're a lot more bombastic in text, than you are talking.

Don't misunderstand me. You motivations are pretty irrelevant to me, someone had asked so I answered. lol.
I'm motivated by my immediate anger of feeling duped, perhaps intentionally at this point. Recent events certainly enforce the idea.

In any case, you don't know me either. I'm 125% committed to following this to the end and getting a refund, no doubt about it.
I'm not the type to lay down and take something.

AP posted:

Hey Streetroller consider this, for all those thousands you "pledged" to Chris Roberts, how many times has to replied to one of your forums posts?

None, but that isn't / wasn't ever really a factor. It's always nice when the person you support takes the time to talk to you, but I'm aware of the number of people backing this game and I'm not driven by that need.
I did meet him in Boston, with Sandi (she signed my poster) and we talked for about a minute or two.

I just wanted the product that sold me to begin with. In fact, I'd argue for stripping away all the personalization of SC. IE - get rid of the videos and posts, etc....
What are you left with? Ship sales and slow development.

It took me awhile to realize that the Youtube videos and presentations they put out are pretty akin to Amway meetings or something.
No, it's not an MLM scheme, but it certainly shares a lot of the mentality and tactics of one.
When I think about it like that, it's funny I was even "had" at all considering my guard for such things.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Palisader posted:

I read that as him saying that those were CIG's gently caress ups, that Derek didn't cause them. As in, CIG has no one to blame but themselves. I could be overly optimistic.

:same:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Streetroller posted:

I'm not the type to lay down and take something.

I got your back buddy

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Streetroller you should take a look at ManofManyAliases, he's in for $4000 and he's taking things with much more equanimity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

peter gabriel posted:

OK guys, we've got one job to do, to type out and transcribe the waffle on these CIG vids, so I suppose we should just paraphrase them and / or make stuff up? OK, let's roll

If they were fans they could have done a cool podcast with music and chat about the game like everyone else does, but they wanted to activate bow ties and do a loving news show and it's even more unwatchable than the ones CIG put out that they are trying to save everyone from watching.

So then they came up with the "summaries" which are clearly done during the broadcast when their brains are numb from listening to Ben mumbling about food and seven Wing Commander discs and REALLY COOL STUFF and ya de wop de whoah did

Then they do the full transcript 3 days after the loving summary is posted on Reddit, which no one looks at or gives a gently caress about because it's already out of date and there's already a new show on Twitch and all that stuff's probably been changed already and anyway it didn't come from Chris so therefore it isn't OFFISHAL

Then some sperg on a forum gets into an argument and googles something that Ben Lesnick, Developer said 8 months ago about some ship which would have a titty bar and sparks shooting out of the dancing girls nipples whilst 12 guys manned the turrets in orbit around a space farm and on and on it goes

The only reason anyone would put all this loving effort into something like INN is if they were getting something out of it, because they sure aren't doing CIG any favours and they sure don't have anyone other than goons and bots watching their streams.

• Locked thread