Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/10/surgeons-remove-live-grenade-from-soldiers-skull-5937062/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
jesus I was like is that a 40mm Grenade? It can't be!

It is :(

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I am a medical professional and I can tell you guys with 90% confidence that it's not good to have a 40MM grenade embedded into your face.

Again, you can get a second opinion but I believe that other healthcare professionals will agree with me.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MurderBot posted:

I am a medical professional and I can tell you guys with 90% confidence that it's not good to have a 40MM grenade embedded into your face.

Again, you can get a second opinion but I believe that other healthcare professionals will agree with me.

Bullshit, big pharma just wants you to think that you need "modern medicine" for a grenade to the face. Stop trying to fix everything with pills and maybe look into a good chiropractor.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Bullshit, big pharma just wants you to think that you need "modern medicine" for a grenade to the face. Stop trying to fix everything with pills and maybe look into a good chiropractor.

my baby got a 40mm grenade in teh face and now he's autistic

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
the military causes autism

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Xxl Motrin spotted.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

my baby got a 40mm grenade in teh face and now he's autistic

Have you tried a detox? They're having really good results in India with reversing ordinance based 'tisms with sweat lodges and apple cider vinegar

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

he got a 40MM to the face because he didn't change his socks often enough and hydrate properly.

Drink watersocks, kill.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This is what happens when you get complacent and don't wear your kneepads

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Justin Tyme posted:

This is what happens when you get complacent and don't wear your kneepadseyepro

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Woodchip posted:

Xxl Motrin spotted.

hahaha

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How did that even happen? :stare:

e: It's in there rear end first, isn't it? That raises even more questions.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 13, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

-Troika- posted:

How did that even happen? :stare:

e: It's in there rear end first, isn't it? That raises even more questions.

maybe he was squatting or in the prone and another soldier shot it from behind, and really aimed badly (or, hell, on purpose) , or had it in the tube with the safety off and had a ND.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If he had been wearing his PT belt we wouldn't be having this conversation, imo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

If he had been wearing his PT belt we wouldn't be having this conversation, imo

maybe he forgot to shave before pt, possibilities are endless

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

maybe he forgot to shave before pt, possibilities are endless

Maybe he just lacked motivation, or as the Army is said to call it, heart

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

Maybe he just lacked motivation, or as the Army is said to call it, heart

who knows with those Crazy Colombian Army types, bleeding red blue and yellow just isnt the same.

Does anyone have enough familiarity with foreign armies to tell me if they are as prone to getting bullshit patriotic tattoos (see the good Maj. recently arrested)

probably not with conscription now that I think about it

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 13, 2016

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This is how safety briefs end up with weird, oddly specific bits.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Smiling Jack posted:

jfc I would never make it in the military how the gently caress did you guys put up with that poo poo

I joined the AF in the late '90s and at that time it was similar to working a normal civilian job at a large company. You get a different type of stupidity than you get at a large company but it's still stupid. I went out and did poo poo off base on the weekends instead of staying in the dorm getting drunk like a lot of people that hated being there did.

Our main focus in basic was marching and folding clothes. We went to the range one day, ran an obstacle course another day, ran 3 times a week. Other than that, marching, folding clothes, and checking folded clothes to see if the TI slipped laundry tags in the pockets. No tear gas or playing war games like I guess they do now.

I did spend my first 3 years on mobility and that sucked balls. Never had to deploy to Korea or Saudi. I would have had to go if I wasn't going back to the states right after getting my 5 level. I also missed one deployment somewhere because they never sent paperwork to our squadron. Instead they sent to directly to my email and the one time I checked it, I saw that whatever group I was supposed to go with somewhere was just about ready to leave but since nobody knew anything about it, I didn't have to go.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Aranan posted:

Don't worry, they make them in your size, too.

Gawwwwdaamn

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

chemosh6969 posted:

I joined the AF in the late '90s and at that time it was similar to working a normal civilian job at a large company. You get a different type of stupidity than you get at a large company but it's still stupid. I went out and did poo poo off base on the weekends instead of staying in the dorm getting drunk like a lot of people that hated being there did.

Our main focus in basic was marching and folding clothes. We went to the range one day, ran an obstacle course another day, ran 3 times a week. Other than that, marching, folding clothes, and checking folded clothes to see if the TI slipped laundry tags in the pockets. No tear gas or playing war games like I guess they do now.

I did spend my first 3 years on mobility and that sucked balls. Never had to deploy to Korea or Saudi. I would have had to go if I wasn't going back to the states right after getting my 5 level. I also missed one deployment somewhere because they never sent paperwork to our squadron. Instead they sent to directly to my email and the one time I checked it, I saw that whatever group I was supposed to go with somewhere was just about ready to leave but since nobody knew anything about it, I didn't have to go.

You'd probably have gotten an Art 15 for that now.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Godholio posted:

You'd probably have gotten an Art 15 for that now.

I believe it. It wasn't until I got stateside before checking email was something anyone below E5 needed to do. Up till then, I'd only been in one shop that even had a computer to use and all it did was collect dust. This was also back in the days of dial up and websites were filled with poo poo like "Mr. T ate my balls" and jolly rogers cookbook.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chemosh6969 posted:

This was also back in the days of dial up and websites were filled with poo poo like "Mr. T ate my balls" and jolly rogers cookbook.

The good old days, in other words.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MrYenko posted:

The good old days refer solely to the period before you showed up by idiot lifers. They were never actually better except In retrospect and pining for them is a bear universal indication of brain damage resulting from face loving trauma.

In this case you are using the phrase correctly

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

MrYenko posted:

I would have traded it for the ability to buy things off the internet. Shopping on base was like having only one store in your town and that store is Ross Dress For Less. It's run by high school dropouts, the equivalent of your typical dependent.

One of the managers at AAFES wrote an open letter to everyone because they were getting swamped with people saying a Wal-Mart should open on base, which would never happen anyway, but he wrote this long thing about how it would be the worst thing in the world because they'd both compete with each other in a price war that consisted of each store raising it's prices higher than the other one. At any rate, that seemed to shut people up even though that's the opposite of how reality works.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

chemosh6969 posted:

I would have traded it for the ability to buy things off the internet. Shopping on base was like having only one store in your town and that store is Ross Dress For Less. It's run by high school dropouts, the equivalent of your typical dependent.

One of the managers at AAFES wrote an open letter to everyone because they were getting swamped with people saying a Wal-Mart should open on base, which would never happen anyway, but he wrote this long thing about how it would be the worst thing in the world because they'd both compete with each other in a price war that consisted of each store raising it's prices higher than the other one. At any rate, that seemed to shut people up even though that's the opposite of how reality works.

actually thats probably how it would happen on base because everyone is loving retarded.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Um, wouldn't they lower their prices to compete? Money that goes to aafes goes back to the community blah blah blah, but there are different reasons to shop there. Like tax free.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Tax free, but here's a surcharge that coincidentally works out to roughly the same amount.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Godholio posted:

Tax free, but here's a surcharge that coincidentally works out to roughly the same amount.

Commisary does that. AAFES/NEX is supposedly at "market value" and self supporting through profits.

Only time it really works is when you get them to price match something that a real store has on a huge discount because it hasn't sold in two years, and AAFES/Exchange still has it at full price because boots are loving stupid. I got my laptop there because they price matched Amazon, and tax free, and I could have it now.

Sometimes works out for large appliances too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AAFES is good for getting the lovely cheap version of what you really want.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I don't think I bought a single thing from an PX that wasn't attached to a gas station, and most of the time it was a liquid that came measured in handles or candy that came in a patriotic bag for a dollar. Then again, I never needed appliances and I built my own computer. The mini-mall at Ft. Bragg started selling guns at the sporting goods store right before I left.

Commissaries, though, they were generally pretty good.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Not military, but I have a fun little AAFES story. I used to work for a futon manufacturer that had an AAFES contract or whatever we sold futons through it. Anyway, one of my various jobs was answering the AAFES specific customer service and tech support line, which was 99% unremarkable dipshits who were exactly the sort of person you think of when you consider the idea of someone needing tech support for a futon. Then I got the special call.

:am: So how much liquid can the futon mattresses soak up?
:phone: You mean like water?
:am: Uh... sorta. *muffled, like the guy was holding his hand over the phone receiver and speaking to someone on his end, in a nervous tone* Most people have like two gallons, right? I think I remember that from health class.... gently caress. *hangs up*
:phone: :stonk:

Given that the caller ID said it was from Okinawa, I can't see some soldier or marine or whatever making a prank call at what was the rear end in a top hat of the middle of the night to them, and they sounded serious. Like if they were joking, they were Andy Kaufmann good.

Anyway, that's the story of how I think I accidentally helped a marine kill a hooker.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
ooragh dabble dawgs :stare:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just ate a Spanish ration. It was pretty lovely all things considered, but it's nice to know that the Spanish don't even trust their soldiers not to eat their matches. So I guess things are the same across the Atlantic.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PopeCrunch posted:

Not military, but I have a fun little AAFES story. I used to work for a futon manufacturer that had an AAFES contract or whatever we sold futons through it. Anyway, one of my various jobs was answering the AAFES specific customer service and tech support line, which was 99% unremarkable dipshits who were exactly the sort of person you think of when you consider the idea of someone needing tech support for a futon. Then I got the special call.

:am: Uh... sorta. *muffled, like the guy was holding his hand over the phone receiver and speaking to someone on his end, in a nervous tone* Most people have like two gallons, right? I think I remember that from health class.... gently caress. *hangs up*

Given that the caller ID said it was from Okinawa, I can't see some soldier or marine or whatever making a prank call at what was the rear end in a top hat of the middle of the night to them, and they sounded serious. Like if they were joking, they were Andy Kaufmann good.

Anyway, that's the story of how I think I accidentally helped a marine kill a hooker.

Holy gently caress I do but i don't want this to be fake.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

chitoryu12 posted:

I just ate a Spanish ration. It was pretty lovely all things considered, but it's nice to know that the Spanish don't even trust their soldiers not to eat their matches. So I guess things are the same across the Atlantic.

Why is that in English?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Why is that in English?

because NATO

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

PopeCrunch posted:

Sounds like he remembered enough of his buddy aid there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

PopeCrunch posted:

I called a cemetery at 5 am once to tell them they buried the wrong body. The lady was buying it until we started laughing, then she got mad, said bad words, and hung up.