Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

mostlygray posted:

A full tray of ice and lemon slices. Pulse it until it's clean with cold water. The ice will sharpen the knives in the machine as well. Really, a handful of ice every week does a great job of keeping your disposal clean.

I also dump some vinegar down there occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm looking for a decent security camera. There's been a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood recently, and I figure that's a good enough reason to get one.

I saw that the Nest security cam is on sale for $150 on Amazon right now, but I'd prefer one a little cheaper than that, unless the consensus is that anything cheaper than that is garbage.

I don't know about cheaper ones, but I have a Nest and it's very good.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

KoB posted:

I also dump some vinegar down there occasionally.

Yeah, I might do that too. I got some disposal cleaner packets that do this cool blue foamy thing that smells great but I don't think it did much. I've never had one smell at all. I guess the previous owners never really gave a gently caress. It's not god-awful or anything, just a little bit of odor.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

colas posted:

Yeah, I might do that too. I got some disposal cleaner packets that do this cool blue foamy thing that smells great but I don't think it did much. I've never had one smell at all. I guess the previous owners never really gave a gently caress. It's not god-awful or anything, just a little bit of odor.

Seriously, just throw in a few ice cubes at a time and then cut up a whole lemon and feed that in after. It's all you need unless you have a plugged drain.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone have any recommendations for a case for a Chromecast?

I saw this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Streaming-Television-Stick-Storage-Case/dp/B00RBWR5FI

But was wondering if there was anything built specially for the Chromecast. My Google Fu is not turning anything up.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

To UK based folk, can anyone recommend a men's deodorant (not anti-perspirant) that isn't aerosol based? Admittedly I have only been looking in supermarkets, but every single thing I've found that isn't an aerosol is an anti-perspirant.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Anjow posted:

To UK based folk, can anyone recommend a men's deodorant (not anti-perspirant) that isn't aerosol based? Admittedly I have only been looking in supermarkets, but every single thing I've found that isn't an aerosol is an anti-perspirant.

If the reason you don't want an antiperspirant is because you're one of those nutbars who are worried about aluminum, then use this.

https://www.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer-Essentials-Natural-Deodorant/dp/B0199TELHK

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Garbage disposal blades aren't like steak knives, they are meaty industrial chunks of metal. Running ice through helps polish, clean and "sharpen" them by making their job easier.

Ok, but again, how?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ice doesn't actually sharpen the blades. It does however knock poo poo off the edges.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anjow posted:

Silver shield is really good, I hope they ship to the UK.

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013
Can anyone recommend a case for a Nexus 5X? It needs to have a screen protector (or at least have room for me to put one on separately) and to be as protective as possible- I've shattered screens before.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sportman posted:

I don't know about cheaper ones, but I have a Nest and it's very good.

I know about both and I am reiterating that unless you want to spend more for the sake of spending more, the d-link cameras are all you need

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Sea Pancake posted:

Can anyone recommend a case for a Nexus 5X? It needs to have a screen protector (or at least have room for me to put one on separately) and to be as protective as possible- I've shattered screens before.

I'd recommend the supcase series for your Nexus. I've had these cases on my nexus 6 and on a Nexus 5x and they're very good for an accidental drop and you can put a screen protector on as well. Plus it doesn't add a while lot of bulk.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Looking for a good running/exercise headphone similar to these -

https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Sp...+sport+fi&psc=1

I love them but I've gone through 4-5 pairs. I sent one or two back for a replacement. Eventually one side will stop working. I just want a decent pair with the big rear end cone nubs and a piece that wraps around the ear. They're cheap and good so I just buy some every 4-8 months or whenever they decide to stop working.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

colas posted:

Looking for a good running/exercise headphone similar to these -

https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Sp...+sport+fi&psc=1

I love them but I've gone through 4-5 pairs. I sent one or two back for a replacement. Eventually one side will stop working. I just want a decent pair with the big rear end cone nubs and a piece that wraps around the ear. They're cheap and good so I just buy some every 4-8 months or whenever they decide to stop working.

https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Sport-Fi-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B00DDPZ5N6

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Those are nearly identical lol.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

colas posted:

Those are nearly identical lol.

I have both, and though I don't use the sport ones much (don't like the heavier/thicker cables) it feels a lot more rugged

OTW I've been using the M6's for the gym coming up on 4 years (original pair) so we may have different use scenarios :shrug:

Just switched to the jaybird x2 awhile back and holy poo poo does it feel good not to have cables running around when running or lifting. The freedoms look even better, but also more expensive

colas
Feb 14, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

OTW I've been using the M6's for the gym coming up on 4 years (original pair) so we may have different use scenarios :shrug:

I don't know what it is. I let them know about it because I've sent two pair back to them. (well one they just told me to send a pic of them destroyed).
So annoying, one day the left or right will just short out. I put the big cone buds on a cheap pair of skull candy's an their actually fine for now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does there exist an unscented two in one shampoo/conditioner?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It sounds like something Dove would make, so I'd start there.

Farali
Feb 18, 2012
I'm dying in the summer heat and all I have is a box fan. What could I get to cool down, something like freeze pads?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Farali posted:

I'm dying in the summer heat and all I have is a box fan. What could I get to cool down, something like freeze pads?

It's very doofy but I can attest to the plastic bucket with dry ice and a fan method.
Google that poo poo. Should cost around $30 and works pretty well for one room.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
What's a good style of safety glasses that can be worn in conjunction with ear protection without the sides of the glasses getting jammed into my head by the ear pro? My current ear protection/glasses combo leaves the tops of my ears in serious pain after about an hour or so.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Do you have to wear over-ear ear pro? Surefire makes a really good set of in-ear ear pro. http://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Do you have to wear over-ear ear pro? Surefire makes a really good set of in-ear ear pro. http://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

I don't have to but I just bought a new set of over-ear muffs with an AUX jack so I can listen to some tunes while I mow the lawn and stuff and I would like to keep using them.

This isn't a problem specific to my new pair of ear pro, happens with all over-ear ones.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

What's a good style of safety glasses that can be worn in conjunction with ear protection without the sides of the glasses getting jammed into my head by the ear pro? My current ear protection/glasses combo leaves the tops of my ears in serious pain after about an hour or so.

ESS eye pro is really good/comfy too. I can wear mine nearly all day with no discomfort.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
If you don't wear prescription glasses, elastic Kareem Abdul Jabbar style glasses are pretty comfortable. If you do wear glasses, you can get them with prescription lenses.

Other than that, over ear protection is always uncomfortable with glasses in my opinion. I go with disposable in-the-ear style unless I'm doubling up for an indoor shooting range.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Farali posted:

You could make a liquid cooled heat sink for your boxfan like this guy did:

https://imgur.com/a/jgvlM

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Panda Time posted:

You could make a liquid cooled heat sink for your boxfan like this guy did:

https://imgur.com/a/jgvlM

Which he fills with freezepacks from his in-room refrigerator. :master:

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Wanamingo posted:

I need a good pair of noise cancelling earbuds, something not priced for audiophiles. Any suggestions?

I know its a little late but have you checked out Tough Tested's earbuds? Instead of using the magic of technology to block noise they're pretty much just earplugs with a decent set of earbuds attached to them. Theres 3 types in order of cost though I saw them all for the same price at Lowes: Ranger Jobsite Marine.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hrvstmn31 posted:

I know its a little late but have you checked out Tough Tested's earbuds? Instead of using the magic of technology to block noise they're pretty much just earplugs with a decent set of earbuds attached to them. Theres 3 types in order of cost though I saw them all for the same price at Lowes: Ranger Jobsite Marine.

Those look good, but you're too late. I needed a father's day gift and ended up going with a memory foam pillow instead.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Wanamingo posted:

Those look good, but you're too late. I needed a father's day gift and ended up going with a memory foam pillow instead.

Not a prob I thought they were for personal use , memory foam pillow is also an excellent gift.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I think I'm looking for boots.

I work in a warehouse, not really a warehouse but sometimes we have to move tons of heavy poo poo around; I'm expected to be in dress shoes, but they loving suck when moving fridges around. Any suggestions to some boots that do not look like "rear end kicker 3000s"?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Red Wing Iron Rangers are dope

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Do any of you have silverware drawers that are too long (deep) for the plastic silverware holder? I stuck a book behind mine because it kept sliding back. Maybe I should just put grip-y stuff underneath or something.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

I think I'm looking for boots.

I work in a warehouse, not really a warehouse but sometimes we have to move tons of heavy poo poo around; I'm expected to be in dress shoes, but they loving suck when moving fridges around. Any suggestions to some boots that do not look like "rear end kicker 3000s"?

Do you need steel toes, or just comfy shoes? All the warehouse guys I work with have settled on NB 990s as the ultimate warehouse shoes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

colas posted:

Do any of you have silverware drawers that are too long (deep) for the plastic silverware holder? I stuck a book behind mine because it kept sliding back. Maybe I should just put grip-y stuff underneath or something.

You'd be surprised at how well the grippy cabinet liners don't work.

Seriously, I have it on the bottom of my silverware drawer, and my tray is always sliding back. I think I'll just shove a piece of wood in there or something...or maybe a second, smaller, plastic tray (like one for putting pens into on a desk?) to put behind it and put larger items, like serving spoons, in.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

You'd be surprised at how well the grippy cabinet liners don't work.

Seriously, I have it on the bottom of my silverware drawer, and my tray is always sliding back. I think I'll just shove a piece of wood in there or something...or maybe a second, smaller, plastic tray (like one for putting pens into on a desk?) to put behind it and put larger items, like serving spoons, in.

I guess the book behind it is doing an ok job right now but there's no way there isn't an overpriced "as seen on tv" -type solution for this.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I got an expandable bamboo one off Amazon for ~$20 when I moved into my current place. It came in a few lengths, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Eponine posted:

I got an expandable bamboo one off Amazon for ~$20 when I moved into my current place. It came in a few lengths, too.

ohhh, those look nice. thanks.