Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I always drop Skyrim by the time I hit level 20, and even though I finished the Witcher 2 twice I wasn't terribly fond of it. My questions for the Witcher 3 to convince to me to buy it when's on sale:

How optimised is the game? Can I aim for a solid 30 on these requirements? : Pentium Dual-Core at 3.2ghz, 8gb ram, GTX 750 ti 2gb, 1440x900 resolution pretty well optimized, you shouldn't have any issues running it. turn off hairworks

What's the Killer-to-Filler ratio? The Assassin's Creed games are made ten hours longer because some sod dropped a valuable trinket in every corner of the map. Just how much of the game is bare-bone Scavenger Hunts? I don't usually mind them except when they make up the bulk of a game's content like Assassin's Creed: Rogue. almost none of it, this is one of the areas the game gets a lot of praise. it's very dialogue heavy, each quest is a unique little story and experience, you won't find variations on "collect 10 bear asses" in each village. there's the Gwent card minigame, fistfights, horse races as minigames but those are all entirely optional

How frequent are the dungeons? Bethesda said there are a 100 dungeons in Skyrim and I believed them, and I hated how nearly every quest hinged on you going down a samey labyrinth. Really, I'm not fond of dungeons at all and I liked New Vegas because, though the vault-dungeons sucked, there where very few of them. not many dungeons and they tend to be small relative to Skyrim dungeons.

How bad is inventory management? Do I hold onto an oily rag for 30 hours because it may be used in the crafting of the Master Sword? inventory management got a lot better with the UI updates, you don't need to be a hoarder because you might miss something, all loot is randomized and level-scaled

Do I need mods to the game going? Skyrim shipped with a UI from hell and Pillars of Eternity's load-times feel eternal with the auto-save being mandatory. nah no mods needed, game is solid without. you might even consider turning off the minimap and a lot of the UI to make the game more immersive

Is it possible to break quests by accident? I like to do as much as I can in a game out-of-order, but that's because the developers anticipate my meddling. Can I gently caress things irreversibly by mistake for taking a shortcut? rarely, the game is really good about letting you "sequence break" and you'll get comments in dialogues that reflect the order you did things in. so yes, CDPR has anticipated all your meddling very well. the only caveat is be careful with fast-travel from anywhere mods, since fast traveling at certain points WILL gently caress things up.

What are the points-of-no-return? I would hate to miss stuff in a 100-hour RPG because I don't plan on playing more than once. the game explicitly warns you about the point of no return, it's about 2/3 the way through.

Do the sidequests actually reward you stuff? The Witcher 2 had the habit of giving you sweet-Fanny-adams for culling the Nekker population and stopping Majora bring the moon down on Termina. nope! if you like phat lootz then this game will disappoint. it's sort of unique in that the actual quest content and dialogue are so good, the lack of rewards doesn't matter. do quests because they're fun and interesting, you're rarely going to get good gear or whatever as quest rewards, it's crafted.

Is it as esoteric as the Witcher 2? I had no idea what was going on in the Poisoned Chalice quest, and I seemed to fail parts of it for doing it correctly. well, you definitely have to pay attention during the sleuthing quests, you can get "bad" outcomes by overlooking details

Is the difficulty as uneven as the Witcher 2? Beyond Letho and the Burning-Brick-Shithouse monster there was no real challenge. I could easily ignore Alchemy and Crafting because they were cumbersome and not-fun. the difficulty drops off mid-game like in many RPGs, but there's now a level scaling option which helps a lot

Is this game better owned on Steam or Gog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You sound insufferable.

It's a good game.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I always drop Skyrim by the time I hit level 20, and even though I finished the Witcher 2 twice I wasn't terribly fond of it. My questions for the Witcher 3 to convince to me to buy it when's on sale:

How optimised is the game? Can I aim for a solid 30 on these requirements? : Pentium Dual-Core at 3.2ghz, 8gb ram, GTX 750 ti 2gb, 1440x900 resolution

You'll be fine, I have the same graphics card and RAM (with a better processor) and I run at 1920x1200.

quote:

What's the Killer-to-Filler ratio? The Assassin's Creed games are made ten hours longer because some sod dropped a valuable trinket in every corner of the map. Just how much of the game is bare-bone Scavenger Hunts? I don't usually mind them except when they make up the bulk of a game's content like Assassin's Creed: Rogue.

How frequent are the dungeons? Bethesda said there are a 100 dungeons in Skyrim and I believed them, and I hated how nearly every quest hinged on you going down a samey labyrinth. Really, I'm not fond of dungeons at all and I liked New Vegas because, though the vault-dungeons sucked, there where very few of them.

There are a couple of underworld places to explore, but mostly it's overworld exploration, none of which is long and grindy. The only scavenger hunts you probably need to do is to get diagrams for better witcher gear, but it's not onerous at all.

How bad is inventory management? Do I hold onto an oily rag for 30 hours because it may be used in the crafting of the Master Sword?

At this point it's a non-issue. Pick stuff up and never think about it again until it turns out to be useful.

quote:

Do I need mods to the game going? Skyrim shipped with a UI from hell and Pillars of Eternity's load-times feel eternal with the auto-save being mandatory.

Is it possible to break quests by accident? I like to do as much as I can in a game out-of-order, but that's because the developers anticipate my meddling. Can I gently caress things irreversibly by mistake for taking a shortcut?

No and no.

quote:

What are the points-of-no-return? I would hate to miss stuff in a 100-hour RPG because I don't plan on playing more than once.

The game specifically warns you before they happen.

quote:

Do the sidequests actually reward you stuff? The Witcher 2 had the habit of giving you sweet-Fanny-adams for culling the Nekker population and stopping Majora bring the moon down on Termina.

No, but they're fun anyway.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arglebargle III posted:

You sound insufferable.

It's a good game.

I only beat on things because I love them, a philosophy that will get very interesting if I become a parent.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Does level scaling apply to all monsters or just quest monsters? I don't really feel the need to fight some level 60 drowner packs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

How optimised is the game? Can I aim for a solid 30 on these requirements? : Pentium Dual-Core at 3.2ghz, 8gb ram, GTX 750 ti 2gb, 1440x900 resolution

What's the Killer-to-Filler ratio? The Assassin's Creed games are made ten hours longer because some sod dropped a valuable trinket in every corner of the map. Just how much of the game is bare-bone Scavenger Hunts? I don't usually mind them except when they make up the bulk of a game's content like Assassin's Creed: Rogue.

How frequent are the dungeons? Bethesda said there are a 100 dungeons in Skyrim and I believed them, and I hated how nearly every quest hinged on you going down a samey labyrinth. Really, I'm not fond of dungeons at all and I liked New Vegas because, though the vault-dungeons sucked, there where very few of them.

How bad is inventory management? Do I hold onto an oily rag for 30 hours because it may be used in the crafting of the Master Sword?

Do I need mods to the game going? Skyrim shipped with a UI from hell and Pillars of Eternity's load-times feel eternal with the auto-save being mandatory.

Is it possible to break quests by accident? I like to do as much as I can in a game out-of-order, but that's because the developers anticipate my meddling. Can I gently caress things irreversibly by mistake for taking a shortcut?

What are the points-of-no-return? I would hate to miss stuff in a 100-hour RPG because I don't plan on playing more than once.

Do the sidequests actually reward you stuff? The Witcher 2 had the habit of giving you sweet-Fanny-adams for culling the Nekker population and stopping Majora bring the moon down on Termina.

Is it as esoteric as the Witcher 2? I had no idea what was going on in the Poisoned Chalice quest, and I seemed to fail parts of it for doing it correctly.

Is the difficulty as uneven as the Witcher 2? Beyond Letho and the Burning-Brick-Shithouse monster there was no real challenge. I could easily ignore Alchemy and Crafting because they were cumbersome and not-fun.

Is this game better owned on Steam or Gog?

I play on console so I can't comment on performance.

Killer to Filler - there is a plethora of such activities, but most are not required at all for questlines. None of the main quests are simple fetch quests unless you are being reductive about it. There are literal scavenger hunts, but those are to find more powerful armor and weapons, are optional, and many involve some tiny story as well. If you ask more specific questions I can elaborate.

There are 2 actual "dungeon crawls" of appreciable length. There are many "samey" (if you are being negative) caves, ruined buildings, etc but most are uniquely designed and are also not overly large, like 5-10 minute things, longer if you die in the monster fight. Often these are the scavenger hunt destinations. A small cave with a dead body and a journal, a pack of mobs, and a monster fight near the chest with an armor diagram. Some might also be the endpoint of a sidequest.

Inventory has been significantly improved, it was not great at the start. Inv tends to get a bit overly cluttered with crafting components and the like, but armor/weapon management is fine. The removed weight stats on most crafting components and also put in a stash so you only really look at them when crafting something.

Console so I never had mods, the UI just got improved yet again and works fine. load times are long on ps4.

You cannot break any of the quests I know of, and most even have dialogue to acknowledge your out of order completion. 1 major story quest can be "gamed" to give an abnormally good ending, but doing so going in blind is rare.

There is 1 hard point of no return that explicitly warns you that some quests will be failed if you continue. Other than that there 2 other quests people often failed but I believe those have been patched.

Sidequests give good rewards at level, normally a sword. There are so many quests though that many will be done overleveled so the reward essentially is gold. However in general you will be using Witcher gear unless you deliberately choose not to as it is better then most other gear. Sidequests are extremely well done in this game, and normally have fully fleshed out stories and voice acted poo poo. Yeah you might not get a great sword, but you did cool poo poo and did something fun.

Less esoteric than 2. The main plot is pretty well explained and elaborated on, though there are plenty of small details you can miss as its a very large story. One part of the ending is sometimes a bit confusing if you missed some details, but its not a major problem.

Game tends to be its hardest for the first 12 levels, then steadily becomes easier as you gain more abilities and gear. On death march difficulty you are still at risk of dying to random mobs if you are not paying attention though. They also just patched in an enemy upscaling feature to enhance difficulty if you desire it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arglebargle III posted:

You sound insufferable.

It's a good game.

this.

game is the best but going by your requirements you'll hate every second of it.

or do what you want, life's too short.

when's gwent out

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 15, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There is actually one more non-telegraphed point of no-return in the base game. A quest called 'Follow the Thread' will fail if you haven't completed it when you finish the quest, 'Ugly Baby.'

Routah
Feb 6, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

i never got this roach meme. roach never did anything weird for me. roach never wound up in weird places. dude just rides along the path like the game tells you he would and would always turn up when i shouted.

i feel left out.

Just so happens I got another Roach moment just now, couldn't mount him until I called again. Also are you saying the loving thing won't come to full stop when you're anywhere near a bridge?

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer

The art dealer was literally one of the only things I thought was left out of the game, thank you and the whole team for putting in such incredible effort!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Routah posted:

Just so happens I got another Roach moment just now, couldn't mount him until I called again. Also are you saying the loving thing won't come to full stop when you're anywhere near a bridge?

yeah i've not seen any weird poo poo like that. as far as i remember he's gone over bridges just fine in auto jog mode but i do remember him turning the other way when i came close to one.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Roach has been pretty cool to me he just tends to take a strong turn into the water instead of ever going over a bridge

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The patch broke my mods and I can't play this without AutoApplyOils anymore :(

I actually gotta blow away my install and redownload it, one mod or another broke everything. W3 saves go to Steam Cloud, right?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Minor nitpick, but it seems that the occasional level-scaling going bonkers issue is still around here and there; just got one-hit bit a rat. Same goes for the djinn on the ship on the mountain that one-shoots and has a shitload of health. I'm so happy the sorting of new items got fixed though because my inner sperg forced me to find that flower I just picked in the bag just to get rid of the "new item" stars in the inventory >_<

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

That makes sense. It just seemed like everyone was "We've got our eye on you" with Geralt while anyone else is arrest & kill on sight.

Plus, the reason the church is pushing for this whole poo poo is that they want to make bank by confiscating the property of the mages. Witchers tend to be both rather poor and exceptionally dangerous, so they make really bad targets for that kind of scheme.

Magni fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 15, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So now that I've actually gotten time to play W3 for the first time (damnit, sis, did you have to get married RIGHT THEN) I'm really getting into the groove of this game in a way it took me three tries to do for W2, but one thing in particular is kind of nagging me.

I was playing on BBTB but had to drop the difficulty to kill the golem in Wandering In The Dark (main quest in Velen with Keira Metz) because otherwise I'd just have been chipping away at it forever until I hosed up enough dodges and it beat me to death. Looking at the bestiary/wiki after I guess it would have been vulnerable to Elemental Oil or Dimeritium bombs, but is it even possible to pick those recipes up that early? Or should I just have gained another level or 2?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magni posted:

Plus, the reason the church is pushing for this whole poo poo is that they want to make bank by confiscating the property of the mages. Witchers tend to be both rather poor and exceptionally dangerous, so they make really bad targets for that kind of scheme.

Oh? Where do you run into that tidbit?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

So now that I've actually gotten time to play W3 for the first time (damnit, sis, did you have to get married RIGHT THEN) I'm really getting into the groove of this game in a way it took me three tries to do for W2, but one thing in particular is kind of nagging me.

I was playing on BBTB but had to drop the difficulty to kill the golem in Wandering In The Dark (main quest in Velen with Keira Metz) because otherwise I'd just have been chipping away at it forever until I hosed up enough dodges and it beat me to death. Looking at the bestiary/wiki after I guess it would have been vulnerable to Elemental Oil or Dimeritium bombs, but is it even possible to pick those recipes up that early? Or should I just have gained another level or 2?

Another couple levels might have helped, but you're unlikely to have dimeritium bombs or elementa oil that early. It's kind of a grindy fight, golems and earth elementals tend to be fat sacks of HP like that.

The difficulty in general drops off noticeably once you get into your teens and craft your first Witcher gear sets. So yeah, that's kind of an obnoxious fight. If you haven't finished that dungeon dive, the final boss is also a huge HP sponge.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Dallan Invictus posted:

That was my least favorite portion of the game except maybe the fetch quests in Novigrad (but those could be broken up), a really long dungeon with a couple of tanky bosses that take forever to chip away at. I'm glad that turned out to be by far the longest dungeon in the game.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I just wanna say I can't believe it took me until recently to find the best card in Gwent, which isn't required for the Vanilla quest.

Cow.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Arglebargle III posted:

It's not just that. Radovid needs cash, sure. But he also really, really, really hates mages. And he's smart enough to know that if you give people a common enemy they won't attempt to overthrow you.

A lot of people tell you he'll be coming for the nonhumans and freaks once the mages are gone. I'm sure he'd get to the witchers soon enough. They tend to get lumped in with the nonhumans in the books when people go the pogrom route.

Also like a bunch of people have said: Witchers are crazy dangerous. And they're really rare at the time the game takes place.

I realized I missed the gwent card during the heart of stone party. Can you get that another way?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Marzzle posted:

There's a few gay characters but it makes sense that it's not totally in your face since milf guard are literal nazis burning freaks at the stake. also dandelion is totally playing both sides of the field ;)

Not to be that poster, but The Witcher 2 is pretty loving bad about homosexuality. Everything involved in that Deathmold scene was loving horrendous and tremendously upsetting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Deathmold was a gayman type?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Deathmold was a gayman type?

Yes, he's a major villain in Witcher 2 who is a homosexual and has a sex slave.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

A few people talk about it, IIRC including Bedlam and Triss. You also get to see it firsthand at Triss' ransacked house when Menge has those looters arrested, telling them that the Temple Guard is entitled to confiscate the property.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's really good that Dethmold was punished for being gay with being castrated and choked on his genitals

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I always thought the game tried to convey that Dethmold was a pederast without actually saying pederast out loud.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's really good that Dethmold was punished for being gay with being castrated and choked on his genitals

See now I thought that they were punishing Dethmold for, you know, murdering Roche's entire family and trying to overthrow Temeria.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So I'm playing the main game again on Death March since that is the last achievement I need to get. Figured it wouldn't take too long if I just played through the main storyline-related quests and not allow myself any distra-

Academic in the First Inn: Wanna become obsessed with Gwent again?
Geralt: Yesssssssssssssssss :stare:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Anyone having any weird graphics buggery with this patch that just went up? At least one NPC (Sasha from the high stakes gwent tournament) has a glitch where everything but her hair, eyes, mouth, and feet go invisible and while walking. It doesn't happen during dialogue scenes either and it was just fine before I installed the patch so I assume it's not my GPU dying or somesuch.

edit: oh, looks like I just had to verify it. Because for whatever reason GOG Galaxy decides to redownload half the game for a patch and then manages to gently caress up doing that too.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 16, 2016

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Mastercrafted Wolf Trouser diagram isn't at the watchtower where it's supposed to be. Lame.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I still can't build my Skellige deck, and removing cards from my current assembled deck causes them to disappear. That's new and strange as gently caress :psyduck:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Also speaking of that High Stakes quest, I like how the game forces you to split the money with Sasha. Geralt even calls bullshit on her trying to split it but then the game forces you to do it anyway. I don't even care about the cash because I'm at the point where I have way more than I'll ever need anyway but it's the principle of it. gently caress you lady, I beat you and did all the work in finding the thief.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Hahaha you can buy the young ciri in a dress painting at the new art dealers.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

So I'm playing the main game again on Death March since that is the last achievement I need to get. Figured it wouldn't take too long if I just played through the main storyline-related quests and not allow myself any distra-

Academic in the First Inn: Wanna become obsessed with Gwent again?
Geralt: Yesssssssssssssssss :stare:

I did the same. Said gently caress it and decided to do a no witcher gear run, was just going to focus on story quests to hit HoS and B&W content asap. Then I crushed the Bloody Baron's gwent deck with little more than the starter deck. Guess I gotta get them heroes for the Skellige deck.....

Also patchnotes said they fixed roach, but i still get tailless horse, guess I am forced to stare at roaches butthole until I hit Skellige

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 16, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No Witcher gear? :catstare:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

No Witcher gear? :catstare:

Figured I could try out other armors, swords. Noticed a lot of high level stuff I never tried because of witcher gear. Plus I found the diagram fetch quests a bit tedious

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

See now I thought that they were punishing Dethmold for, you know, murdering Roche's entire family and trying to overthrow Temeria.
No other character in the game gets or can get a punishment so linked to sexuality and genitalia. When it happens to the one gay villain you have some weird subtext.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Has anyone tried The Appearance Mod? Stealing Roche's hat is tempting, but it looks super complicated and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No other character in the game gets or can get a punishment so linked to sexuality and genitalia. When it happens to the one gay villain you have some weird subtext.

That's reaching pretty far considering W2 Philippa was also gay, one of the big villains and yet also portrayed as a victim that suffers immensely.