Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

old people's rib cage is like doing CPR on a tomato, you will wreck their poo poo.

Young 20 year old's will usually have a few ribs that "pop" and you'll feel it, similar feeling (and sound) of two people pulling on the wish bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Yeah, a 225lb shaved gorilla tap-dancing on your chest is going to pop a couple ribs under the best of circumstances.

Worst case you get to see blood loving fountain out of an ET tube as the first couple compressions turn MeeMaw's rib cage into chunky razor blade-filled jello, and the next half an hour of coding basically turn those shards into an immersion blender.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Yeah, a 225lb shaved gorilla tap-dancing on your chest is going to pop a couple ribs under the best of circumstances.

Worst case you get to see blood loving fountain out of an ET tube as the first couple compressions turn MeeMaw's rib cage into chunky razor blade-filled jello, and the next half an hour of coding basically turn those shards into an immersion blender.

This is the shortest WhyIDontWorkInMedicine.txt I've encountered on these forums, thus far. Bravo.

:golfclap:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Are we still under the impression that CPR is actually only a short-term fix and a lot of doctors wouldn't want it, or was that just NPR talking

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

From an ER perspective, it's much appreciated if you do something besides zap them with an AED for half an hour.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prop Wash posted:

Are we still under the impression that CPR is actually only a short-term fix and a lot of doctors wouldn't want it, or was that just NPR talking

CPR is better than nothing, but it's not a guaranteed lifesaver. If someone's heart and breathing have stopped and you're restricted to chest compressions and rescue breaths to keep their brain oxygenated, their body is only going to restart on its own. CPR provides a way to keep them alive until that happens....if it happens at all.

AEDs are for a totally different problem. They're for arrhythmia, where the heartbeat is irregular. Despite what movies and TV shows may tell you, zapping someone won't restart a heart that's already stopped.

On the subject of ribs, the dummies I used during my certification were designed to have the snap-crackle-pop of ribs crunching under your palms with every compression.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Then why the gently caress are AEDs everywhere? Who is diagnosing arrhythmia with any authority or competence on-scene?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

AEDs actually have sensors to detect whether someone's heart is loving up in the specific way required, and if it is shock it back into compliance. If they're doing anything but fibrillating then the machine will tell you to gently caress off and do CPR or whatever.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Godholio posted:

Then why the gently caress are AEDs everywhere? Who is diagnosing arrhythmia with any authority or competence on-scene?

The "A" in AED.

I want to personally string up by their thumbs every dumb motherfucker in the entertainment industry that propagates these loving retarded myths that defib paddles are magical Jesus zappers and will bring somebody back from the loving dead. That and all of the other dumb bullshit that deludes people into thinking quantity of life is sacrosanct and quality is a minor inconvenience compared to making sure you can wring some more "quality" time out of grandma, despite her body sometimes literally starting to die while she's still alive because of the unholy amounts of drugs the ICU team is flooding her body with.

Who gives a poo poo if she's trapped in a broken down and rotting shell stuffed full of lines feeding her a pharmacy's worth of meds, tubes in every available orifice to make her body keep working, every second a vague drugged haze of sheer horror and suffering? I've got a whole album of blissfully unaware, vacuous selfies to take! Because it's not about grandma, it's about how I feel.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The AEDs you see in emergency boxes in schools and public buildings and such are really really simple to use. You can teach anybody who knows how to do CPR how to use an AED in maybe 5 minutes. Pull off the cover. Put the pads on their chest. There's a picture on the front of the pads that shows you exactly where to put them. Then you push the button and do what it tells you to do. It'll tell you when to start CPR. It'll tell you when to stop CPR. It'll automatically analyse their heart rhythm and tell you when to shock, and it will refuse to shock unless it detects a shockable heart rhythm.

They're designed to be incredibly easy to use. The only way you can really hurt somebody with one is if you pick it up and hit them with it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

The "A" in AED.

I want to personally string up by their thumbs every dumb motherfucker in the entertainment industry that propagates these loving retarded myths that defib paddles are magical Jesus zappers and will bring somebody back from the loving dead. That and all of the other dumb bullshit that deludes people into thinking quantity of life is sacrosanct and quality is a minor inconvenience compared to making sure you can wring some more "quality" time out of grandma, despite her body sometimes literally starting to die while she's still alive because of the unholy amounts of drugs the ICU team is flooding her body with.

Who gives a poo poo if she's trapped in a broken down and rotting shell stuffed full of lines feeding her a pharmacy's worth of meds, tubes in every available orifice to make her body keep working, every second a vague drugged haze of sheer horror and suffering? I've got a whole album of blissfully unaware, vacuous selfies to take! Because it's not about grandma, it's about how I feel.

Are you talking about when mammy told you she wants to die or just generally?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Prop Wash posted:

My gf is an ICU nurse. She says CPR and paddles work about 5-10% of the time. But it's better than just sitting there watching someone die without even trying.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Khizan posted:

They're designed to be incredibly easy to use. The only way you can really hurt somebody with one is if you pick it up and hit them with it.

My co-workers and I found some old ones and were trying to see if we could zap each other with them because we are idiots. We could not.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

was your buddy a medic or just some guy with a CLS course?

He was just a guy at a lake. It was another guy that was running around that was helping the old lady. The first thing that happened was the guy was running around telling everyone there's some old lady that's unconscious and was looking for a doctor. Then 15 minutes later he runs around to everyone again saying he did CPR but that didn't work so she needs a tracheotomy. He might have been high or drunk since he didn't think he needed to wait for 911 or not do any of the things he thought she needed him to do to her.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My CPR certification also included AED training, as our workplace was getting two and many of our customers are old men (we're a lifting equipment training institute so we get a ton of middle aged and senior citizen students). The hardest part is making sure that the machine has everything plugged in so it'll turn on. After that, it talks to you and uses an LCD screen to walk you through every step of using it. Literally anyone who speaks English can use the AEDs in our office.

We were also given those training EpiPens and stabbed ourselves in the thigh over and over to learn how to use them on other people.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Poldarn posted:

My co-workers and I found some old ones and were trying to see if we could zap each other with them because we are idiots. We could not.

The AED case in the hallway of the simulator building at Tinker AFB is wired to an audio alarm for when it opens. Nobody who works in that building knows how to turn it off. Well, maybe now...

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The AEDs in my building are wired to scramble emergency services when opened. Doesn't give all the info like a 911 call does but it gets the EMTs to your exact location in a hurry.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The AED boxes in my hangar were empty. :geno:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

the biggest problem with both AED and CPR training is getting people to do it. There is a HUGE chance of survivability for individuals who have a heart attack, and it is witnessed by people and CPR/early AED is started. And while there is a lot of trauma caused with CPR, a 50 year old can have a few rounds of CPR, recover and live a pretty healthy life, so it's not that CPR is a bad thing, it's a great thing, unless you're old as gently caress..

Nobody wants to do CPR when they actually need to, or they freak out/freeze. Watching a dude collapse on the ground usually invokes the entire group around them to gather, and stare like loving cows. At least three times I've gone into office buildings where bystanders say "He was talking and then he just kinda fell over so we called 911, what else are we supposed to do?" I once pointed at an AED that was about 10 feet away and the guy was like "oh no that's for you guys to use."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think AEDs got popular when stories about relatively healthy people just dropping dead of undiagnosed heart problems got more widespread. Some kid up and died of a heart attack at a basketball game at my high school, then a couple weeks later we had 3 or 4 AEDs installed around the building.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Noone wants to go mouth to mouth with a stranger!

The automatic ones are obviously smarter than two idiots and can see when the heart is beating normally.

I think now they are cheap enough and easy enough to use to put them everywhere and in this situation time is the most important element so it makes sense. It's also an easy way to show that everything possible was done to try and keep someone alive. Also those things tell you what you need to be doing, more shocks, continuing with CPR or putting the person in recovery which is nice in a situation where everyone is panicking.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

the advanced cardiovascular life support (ACLS) booklet for 2015 said that the precordial thump can no longer be used in out of hospital settings. So I can no longer watch grandma pass out, fist bump her chest and have her come back to normal, followed by an awesome fonzie pose and yell "eyyyyyyy"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MurderBot posted:

the advanced cardiovascular life support (ACLS) booklet for 2015 said that the precordial thump can no longer be used in out of hospital settings. So I can no longer watch grandma pass out, fist bump her chest and have her come back to normal, followed by an awesome fonzie pose and yell "eyyyyyyy"

That's an actual thing? I always thought it was some dumb medical drama thing for the doctor to wail on the patient's chest while shouting LIVE drat YOU, LIVE!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That's an actual thing? I always thought it was some dumb medical drama thing for the doctor to wail on the patient's chest while shouting LIVE drat YOU, LIVE!

It's a real thing, but it's a precision thump delivered in a specific way. Movies just think it's more dramatic to have doctors desperately beat up their patients.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Kind of what Chitoryu12 said but there's no real "proven effectiveness" except for two small studies back in the days. They thought that it was equivalent to giving a small shock which would convert someone out of Ventricular fibrilation (v-fib) or ventricular tachycardia (v-tach). So it has the ability to work, but 9 times out of 10 it won't work, and it's been known to cause more damage and lead to PEA/asystole from blunt force trauma when people are M Bison hyper punching people in the chest and loving poo poo up.

It doesn't work often, but if you wanna look cool in front of some nurses and it works, you're a god.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My cousin just named his seventh(?) (first post vasectomy) son "Echo Rebel." FFS.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
sever.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich
The only previous Echo I knew of was Echo Leta Johnson, so gently caress this gay earth.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wxhode posted:

My cousin just named his seventh(?) (first post vasectomy) son "Echo Rebel." FFS.

:stare: Are they members of the Quiverfull movement?

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I don't think so, but I try desperately not to know what is going on beyond what our 93 yo grandmother tells me.

His wife is a stripper with two previous kids, including a daughter who just graduated high school and I don't want to know what she's doing next with her life. His kid number 8(?), his only (non-step) daughter, has Down's Syndrome so they did the ineffective vasectomy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Are they members of the Quiverfull movement?

With a Rebel yell, she cried MORE MORE MORE

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

With a Rebel yell, she cried MORE MORE MORE

:boom:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wxhode posted:

ineffective vasectomy.

Yeah, that's what he tells himself

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

lightpole posted:

Noone wants to go mouth to mouth with a stranger!

Basic Life Support (BLS, aka CPR) has been compression-only for bystanders for some time now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5hP4DIBCEE

Seriously, BLS is a worthwhile course. Skills/knowledge diminish in a few months, so buying one of those little cards to keep around and review every 2 or 3 months is a good idea.

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 17, 2016

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Yeah that's how I got it in some classes. It's like that simply because compressions are better than nothing but mouth to mouth is still prefered.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

lightpole posted:

Yeah that's how I got it in some classes. It's like that simply because compressions are better than nothing but mouth to mouth is still prefered.

Nope. Continuous compressions are preferred for bystanders. Interrupting chest compressions for what are usually ineffective breaths at room air FiO2 is really detrimental to brain and tissue perfusion. No more "look, listen, and feel" even.

If you're a trained professional with an ambubag and know what you're doing, then go for it. Even then, if you're by yourself and can't ventilate without interrupting compressions for <10 sec, it isn't worth it.

Rescue breathing is for respiratory arrest with a pulse.

(All this can be very different for kids...their most common cause of circulatory arrest is hypoxia, so respirations are more important.)

tl;dr: Chest compressions are BY FAR the most important part of CPR.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Derek Dominoe posted:

Fine, take all the romance out of it.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Yo, crossposting from the Current Events thread, have some Marine idiots:

http://imgur.com/gallery/w4SJ2

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
update on thinking about going into the air guard:

smoking weed is cool

gently caress you if you're still in

smdftb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Derek Dominoe posted:

And remember, you want to keep the compressions at the proper rate of 100-120 BPM, which can easily be maintained by humming Another One Bites The Dust.